Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Jason, how on earth do you give Witch Doctor the points for Aggression? It spent half the match in the air

Jason's bot Dr Inferno had a similar kind of fight against Wedge of Doom. WoD was clearly winning for the first two minutes then lost drive on one side at the end. Judges gave it to Dr Inferno with the crowd audibly booing in the background. Jason thinks he deserved to win that so he would think that WD deserved to win here.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Ghost Raptor always seems like one of those robots that has an idea that kinda makes sense, but it just never really seems to work.

Shatter is a good robot, but it's a questionable decision to build a robot around the concept of harmlessly shearing away pieces of itself while leaving the core robot undamaged in a series where the judges are often prone to making decisions based on the aesthetic appearance of damage.

Ghost Raptor is one of those bots from a team that's very good at making control bots that stuck a spinning weapon on it to make it TV-worthy for Battlebots, but at the cost of making it a mess.

Free Shipping is another example. The core robot is Original Sin, and is one of the most successful bots outside Battlebots, but it's just a wedge with infinite armor and speed and lowness. In Battlebots it has to use its primary weapon to win and it's just not harmoniously designed around it.

Lockjaw is yet another but Donald Hudson has entered every season, and rebuilt Lockjaw several times to make it more synergistic with its weapon each time, so it's pretty solid now.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 16, 2020

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Man this episode sucked rear end. 3 fights where a bot was winning and then died suddenly. The two brutal KOs were fun but very short. Beta vs Rotator was the only proper fight. I figured there would be disagreements about the decision but I agree with it. It is consistent with Skorpios vs IceWave.

Rotator used the blade on top for this fight to protect its top from Beta's hammer. It's a good strategy against hammers but they really need to put some effort into improving their secondary forks if they're going to have that instead of a 2nd disc. They were totally useless so they had no answer to just any good wedge.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 19, 2020

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I like how everyone on reddit was complaining that the judges were wrong about Kraken vs Black Dragon, yet now when the JD goes the opposite way towards the bot that took damage and failed to use its weapon in a pushing match, they're still upset. I don't see any inconsistency. To me, Kraken and Bad Dragon Black Dragon were evenly matched in the pushing contest and neither gained much purchase. Whereas this time around Beta had complete control the entire time. But I would've been okay with Kraken winning. I felt like that was a true cointoss fight, while this one while competitive had a fairly clear victor. Both robots failed to accomplish their goals with their primary weapon but one pushed the other around the whole time.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

You could make the argument that even though Beta never fired the weapon, by having it they were exerting indirect pressure that a pure wedge would not have been. RotatoR had to be more passive in their driving because if they presented a clean hit they could've been KO'ed from it. You can see they were trying to keep their disc in the strike zone for the hammer at all times to defend themselves.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

Basically this. If you're a spinner, you should work harder at KOing your opponent. Cosmetic damage while getting dominated the entire fight should not give you an automatic win due to technicality with the scoring system.

I figured this was all just fake tv drama for the show, but according to some of the builders on reddit, most of it's real and people were actually throwing fits backstage? Really makes the Rotator guy come across not great. Rotator beat Tombstone last season by basically being an indestructible wedge, and now he's whining that he was basically beaten the same way.

Were people throwing fits over Skorpios vs IceWave? Because let's step into the wayback machine for a moment... that was the same exact fight. Skorpios voluntarily never used its weapon. IceWave tore it off at some point. Skorpios pushed it around the entire time, got some good slams into the screws, and it won a narrow decision. Actually Beta did better than Skorpios, because IceWave did get a couple good hits in, and RotatoR didn't. It was a slight controversy because the rules were different that season and some people didn't know about it yet, but otherwise people were fine.

I think you're right and the drama is probably played up. I think I remember them trying to play up Ray as a villain of some sort in season 1. Back in the Comedy Central days they tried to make Christian Carlberg a villain too.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 20, 2020

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Robot Wars was very harsh. At least 50% had to be mobile, so if half of Gemini got knocked out in RW the whole thing would be disqualified.

In Battlebots it is 60%. So if only one of two multibots is taken out, it's still game on.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Ribbot guy - "This monitoring system tells us when something inside the robot isn't working"

*Ribbot's guts all over the floor*

"It says the weapon's not working"

"Thanks"

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

One of these seems like they maybe don't belong... Legends like Tombstone, Bronco, Witch Doctor, Son of Whyachi, Beta and Icewave...

Not that Beta is a bad bot, but a legend bot?

Killerhurtz was a runner-rup in Battlebots and Terrorhurtz made top 4 in Robot Wars so the team has a long history of successful hammerbots. I think it is also the UK thing. Of all the British teams to compete in the states they've been the most successful here.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I can't get too upset about HUGE vs Hydra because that strategy has a pretty obvious counter. HUGE just need a pair of wheels that terminate in spikes where their weapon range is longer than the base of the spike. It's on them for not thinking of that. There are bots that would beat them the same way with no mods like SMEEEEE... which they already fought and lost to before.

edit - although the "I'm not touching you" thing was super lame and I would've started a KO count and asked for movement.

beepsandboops posted:

Disappointing season so far. Two big fights that feature a winner who didn't engage their weapon a single time.

I'm a huge Bronco fan and it sucks to see them fall from grace and Hydra take its place

SubZero won its fight in a proper way so at least there's that. :unsmith:

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

I mean, I remember the poo poo they pulled with Son of Wyachi the first year with it's bullshit walking system. The rule got changed the next year to require articulated walkers to get the weight bonus, and they got destroyed ASAP in the Super-heavyweight class

SOW's original run was cool and good though. Way more fun than the million times Biohazard won.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

Need to know more about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgYbhJ7Xps8

The original version of Son of Whyachi was a shuffler. Shufflers were a type of walker that had very efficient weight conservation and could be pretty fast, but they relied on a rotating cam to push all the legs in an actuating motion. Most walkers back then were shufflers. Gammatron and Pressure Drop (from Derek Young, the goon guy who did Complete Control).

Son of Whyachi was the first bot to use the walker weight advantage really efficiently, putting most of that on their weapon. So they had a spinning cage so massive it was basically unstoppable. It won all its fights in its first season, and ushered in a new era of spinners. That was the first season that spinners started doing well in heavier weight classes. If you watch the original 5 seasons of Battlebots from Comedy Central, season 3.0 is the turning point where weapons start doing real damage. In later seasons Battlebots changed the weight bonus and banned shufflers from getting it. SOW moved up to the superheavyweight class for the last two seasons and turned it into a wheeled bot, but they had some mechanical issues with the redesign and never had the same success.

Still, that makes Son of Whyachi one of only four bots actively competing that have a giant nut.

Tombstone, Perfect Phoenix, and BiteForce are the other three.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

I wish they'd bring back the middle weight class, that always had the best damage/armor ratio into the olden days. Plus, a 75 lbs is gonna be a lot cheaper to build than a 300lb one

MW is a good weight class for that reason. It's light enough that the barrier to entry for mortals is not bad but it's heavy enough for hits to feel like they have weight to them. In lighter classes durability is higher and bots just seem to fling each other rather than doing damage.

HW was picked because a lot of veteran bots are in that class. Also, in the old days, MW just wasn't competitive. There was one good robot in the class until season 5. Didn't make for great TV.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n06GOF4dlpw

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

maybe magnets to try to hold Tombstone to the floor and keep it more grounded would be one way to try to improve, but i can't imagine there's a way to make them weighty enough against those hits

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

There used to be east coast hw tournaments in the past (even shw) when the sport was at its peak popularity in the early 00's. Now that there aren't it is difficult for eastern teams to log combat hours and optimize heavy bots.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

RIP horizontal spinners. I want to see someone make them championship contenders again. I think Bloodsport and Rotator are on the right track, but they both need to put a lot more work into their forks. Bots like Valkyrie, Gigabyte, and Tombstone that are overcentralized on their weapon will always run into a wall against control designs. And just we saw that three times. A horizontal spinner and a vertical spinner both lost weapons, and the vert was still a good wedge so it won.

Go SawBlaze though. With Uppercut and Tombstone out of the field, things are starting to look pretty good for them.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 8, 2021

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Pretty unhype finals for me. I've been rooting for something other than a vertical spinner to make it to the finals or even top 4 and for the 3rd season, the bracket became a vertfest even without Bite Force. It's done. Battlebots is gonna die unless something can happen to spice up the metagame imo.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Seems like the difference between top 8 and top 4 was the fork game. SawBlaze and Hydra have low fronts but they're one size fits most. Endgame, Whiplash, and Tantrum had more unique fork configurations against each individual opponent--to try to anticipate and counter their own forks. Hammersaws and Flippers can do well, clearly. There just aren't as many as the vertical spinners, and the two that got furthest lost out on the fork counter.

For horizontal spinners, we had more of them than verts in top 16 and then none in top 8. In 3 fights the horizontal spinner and vertical spinner lost weapon power, but the vert was still a good wedge so it won. That will be the story again and again for bots like Tombstone, Valkyrie that really are sunk without their weapon. I think RotatoR and Bloodsport have a chance to be top contenders but their forks were just awful this year. They need to put a lot of effort into bringing them up to the level of the verts they're up against, but I liked the speed and versatility of those two.

Hammers, it's the same thing... Shatter's forks were sad. Beta made some galaxy brained decisions.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Mar 15, 2021

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Borsche69 posted:

Yeah the static rammer/pushbot meta is horrifically boring and it's gonna take way more than 3 seasons of the reboot for me to somehow think a vert spinner meta is worse.

From where I'm sitting it's the same meta. The best wedges are winning. They have to have little spinning things on top of them to enter Battlebots, but so what? Vertical spinners are just the most synergistic type of weapon to run with a wedge. Hammersaws and Flippers *can* work but these weapons are more complex and fragile, and these bots really can't have anything go wrong in their fights.

If something like HUGE or Uppercut won then yeah, that would be hype. But those are not the types of verts that are winning.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Borsche69 posted:

It's not the same meta because in one instance, actual damage is being done. It's more interesting to watch something get thrown or hurt than it is for rammers to sort of mush eachother into walls. Weight, repair, and reliability also have to be accounted for with regards to the weapon system.

I'm not saying I long for the days when gray boxes with wheels clumsily shoved each other around in the majority of fights. But the best fights have usually come from dynamic weapon matchups. Horizontal vs vertical spinner. Spinner vs flipper. Flipper vs hammer, and so on. There were many good fights this season because the vert meta only mattered for the top 16 and up. The round robin and the early brackets had enough variety to make an interesting season. But there was a time when you could see dynamic matchups in the finals. Even when wedges were dominant, other types of robots still made it to the finals frequently enough to keep it spicy. Now that never happens, and I think it could get worse.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

But End Game and Bite Force are essentially identical. End Game is the Player 2 coloration of Bite Force.

If Team Whyachi were actually lame they could've just built Bite Force. Instead they enter fun things like a flipper and mobile barbecue, and they just play up being asshats for TV. It's pretty obvious watching the meta from the past few seasons that the closer the robot is to Bite Force the more winninger it is. That is the optimal strategy. Battlebots has been solved.

People are in denial about it but if enough legacy teams give up switch to wedge verts, Battlebots WILL be in trouble.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

That's essentially what Lockjaw is. It's probably the least interesting thing Donald Hutson's ever built, but he tried to do the Diesector jaw design for it in the first few seasons of the reboot before being like, "gently caress it, might as well join them".

I think Ray Billings has also said that he's going to give Tombstone to his son to drive and probably build a vertical spinner, so that's a bummer.

Even though he could change it back to the spring flipper under the new rules--which was super cool imo, I think he realized that even as a fairly middling vert whose weapon only lasts 1.5 minutes it's still probably better.

We're seeing it from the Whyachi team even though I joke about it. Fusion feels like a tacit admission, from a team that used to only ever build horizontal spinners, that the best thing they think horizontal spinners can do is to just become vertical spinners. :(

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Paul/Bite Force has always been the villain. This past season was just a side arc.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

There were some great fights each season of the CC Battlebots but as a percentage, it was much lower.

Vlad vs Biohazard
Biohazard vs Son of Whyachi
Vlad vs Mechavore
Diesector vs Vladiator (both times)
Maximus vs Vladiator

Those spring to mind. Still timeless fights. Especially Biohazard vs Son of Whyachi... which is still the greatest championship match to date imo. Comedy Central were poor curators of the show. They had fake stats that had nothing to do with the judges' scorecards. They showed a tiny percentage of fights in later seasons and began skipping important top 16 fights if they felt they were boring. The new show doesn't do *everything* better but most things about it are better.

Bodyholes fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 6, 2021

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

I'd much prefer a diverse meta where grabber clamp bots have a way to do damage to their opponents than something that's just endless Biteforce clones ramming into each other. Either bring back the killsaws or give non-spinners a weight advantage.

Kraken didn't have a single bad match this season. How is it boring?

The problem I have with most of the proposals I've seen is that they don't actually hurt vertical spinners at all usually. They only hurt horizontal spinners--which are not winning and have not been since season 2. For instance a weight advantage to non-spinners hurts horizontal spinners way more since they rely purely on damaging their opponents, while vertical spinners could still toss around a brick they can't damage. The tip speed limit meant to reign in spinners doesn't hurt verts, only zants.

What some people running the show seem to fail to grasp is that vertical spinners ARE control bots. They are the best control bot. That's what makes this tricky. I think changing the arena is the best way to go.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

It's definitely true that the reason Bite Force is so good is that it's Duck with a weapon. It's a compact solidly built brick, but it also has a ridiculous spinner on top.

If you'd told me 15 years ago I would think about adding a pit to Battlebots I'd never believe it, but here we are. A pit actually would bring crushers and grabbers back into the game. The same way I think some OOTA zones are good to keep flippers viable. The counterargument is that fights that might've been close entertaining 3 minute dogfights could sometimes become lame 40 second pittings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I look forward to seeing Deep Six kill its opponent, itself, and the floor yet again.