Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Denzel Washington is someone that drives me insane because I genuinely believe him to be an excellent actor but he is such a trash rear end action star and all of his action sequences come off as 100% editing.

I’ve seen almost ALL of them too, I think it was the Home (Alone) Depot movies that made me realize “wow I have never once bought that Denzel is really a badass”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

Denzel Washington is someone that drives me insane because I genuinely believe him to be an excellent actor but he is such a trash rear end action star and all of his action sequences come off as 100% editing.

I’ve seen almost ALL of them too, I think it was the Home (Alone) Depot movies that made me realize “wow I have never once bought that Denzel is really a badass”

I think the action works in The Equalizer movies because of the editing and the style of the choreography. I mean, I get that we're used to bad obtrusive editing ala the infamous fence jumping scene from Taken 2, but sometimes it can elevate action and make up for the limitations of the actor. In The Equalizer Denzel's character uses a very brutal, yet simple fighting style that involves minimal movement to cause the most damage possible. So it doesn't require Denzel to be dodging lighting fast punches or any of the really skillful gun work that Keanu does in John Wick. But the end result is still good, the editing is well done because the scenes flow together in a way that makes it clear what Denzel is doing, I'm never sitting there confused as to which punch landed on which guy or how the geography of the scene works or any of those basic issues that plagued films like Taken or a few of the Bourne sequels.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
If the Equalizer films were as good as Denzel's perfomances in them, they'd be unparalleled classics. As it is, they're perfectly competent films with really good lead perfomances and not a lot else going on.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I always thought Denzel was one of those guys who was only in good movies but then he did that one about the CIA using a time machine to go back and stop a mid level politician from getting blown up and I was like “there has never been a dumber movie” and that was like 10 years ago.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I always thought Denzel was one of those guys who was only in good movies but then he did that one about the CIA using a time machine to go back and stop a mid level politician from getting blown up and I was like “there has never been a dumber movie” and that was like 10 years ago.

that was one of those really good ideas for movies that didn't quite work in the execution.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
More than anything Denzel seems to latch on to directors he likes working with and basically do whatever with them. 4 or 5 movies each with Antoine Fuqua, Tony Scott, Spike Lee, etc.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Snowman_McK posted:

that was one of those really good ideas for movies that didn't quite work in the execution.

LoL he figures out its a time machine by using a laser pointer I almost turned it off right then.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Bust Rodd posted:

Wasn't that also based off a video game too?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Google recommended me this article yesterday:

The John Wick Universe is Cancel Culture
https://www.eugenewei.com/blog/2020/1/7/john-wick-and-cancel-culture

quote:

John Wick’s real name, we learn, is Jardani Jovonovich, a Belarussian gypsy raised as an assassin. Wick is nicknamed Baba Yaga, the Boogeyman, for he is the master of assassination. Who are most gifted in using social media to sow chaos and division in the world, especially the United States, than the Russians? Having lost the Cold War they’ve come back in a more fluid and confounding form.

quote:

In a social media context, we can think of Wick’s dog and his car as representing those beliefs we hold sacred. When Wick loses his car and his dog, he is every one of us who sees one of the values we consider intrinsic to our personal identity impugned by some stranger on social media. That the perpetrators are Russian is nothing if not reminiscent of Russian agents sowing discord in American society in the run up to the 2016 Presidential election.

quote:

As on social media, violence begets violence. Since Wick refuses to let the matter go, Viggo, to protect his son, sends a preemptive hit squad to assassinate Wick at his home. We never fight a single target on social media because the public broadcast nature of social media always rallies others to the cause.

quote:

John Wick 2 begins with him retrieving his car from a chop shop owned by Viggo's brother, which requires Wick to kill not only Viggo’s brother but his fellow goons. The car takes serious damage in the firefight, much like the beating we take defending ourselves online, but Wick eventually emerges with his car and new dog and then returns home to bury his weapons cache. He thinks he is out of the game once again.

As anyone who has participated in culture wars knows, any victory is temporary and pyrrhic.
This is all just from the first third of the article.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 9, 2020

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
perhaps a better analogy is that article is just like john wick himself because it's killing all of my brain cells

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wow Jean Pierre-Melville really was prescient, apparently he predicted the rise of social media and cancel culture.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Highly reminiscent of that game the forum used to do where they'd randomly match a movie and a theme and people tried to make it work by just listing elements of each and saying they're basically the same.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
It's also wrong. He didn't kill Viggo's brother. He had a drink with him and agreed to peace.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

jojoinnit posted:

It's also wrong. He didn't kill Viggo's brother. He had a drink with him and agreed to peace.

Was just going to point that out. Dude doesn't know how to watch movies.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Chapter 4 teaser out.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Looks like more of the same.

:dance:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Looks like more of the same.

:dance:

yeah, i'm fine with this franchise just continuing to do the exact same thing in increasingly elaborate and insane ways that make earlier entries look quaint by comparison. I'll be interested to hear how Yen meshes. The word back in the day was that he had a real ego on him (not completely unjustified) and was hard as gently caress to work with unless it was his set. Wonder how that'll play with a high demand set like Wick.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

The word back in the day was that he had a real ego on him (not completely unjustified) and was hard as gently caress to work with unless it was his set. Wonder how that'll play with a high demand set like Wick.

My assumption when I saw that Yen had joined the cast was that he'd basically have one big set piece showdown with Wick and maybe a few little scenes to set that up, but that he wouldn't be a huge presence in the movie. The trailer doesn't have anything that really changes my mind about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

My assumption when I saw that Yen had joined the cast was that he'd basically have one big set piece showdown with Wick and maybe a few little scenes to set that up, but that he wouldn't be a huge presence in the movie. The trailer doesn't have anything that really changes my mind about that.

that's a nice throwback to how Benny the Jet would show up for one action scene but not be in the rest of the movie at all. There's probably a name for that phenomenon in HK film making. It's like a very particular form of guest starring. Bolo Yeung showing up for one fight in Brandon Lee's "Legacy of Rage"