Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

504 posted:

Ah, another in the line of "thrilling action" movies where the indestructible, perfect at everything, never in the slightest danger hero slaughters unending hordes of automatic weapon wielding baddies by doing impossible things and only being shot where hes wearing magic body armor.

Hes back from his permanent retirement. Again. Again.

yeah and while we're at it, what's with all those people singing and dancing in musicals? that doesn't happen in real life, what a bunch of bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The people I saw it with were busting out laughing at ALL OF THE KNIVES at the very beginning, the rhythm of the scene was so well done that every time someone broke another case to grab some knives to throw it was hilarious. This whole series is a love letter to stunt work and choreography and I think this might be the best one yet. I also loved Mark Dacascos, having actual-rear end ninjas in the movie was amazing and now I just want a ninja movie made by the Wick crew.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Saw this today and I guess I was a little disappointed. All the action is phenomenal of course, but one of the things I love about the first two films is that they were totally aware of how bonkers they were, but simultaneously took it seriously and were actually very earnest. That second element is pretty much completely absent in this movie. John Wick has no real motivation beyond just surviving, and he and most other characters are joking around through the whole film.

That said I still had a thoroughly good time, and even if it’s the worst John Wick film so far that’s faint criticism.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 17, 2019

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
This has the most minimalist story of the three movies so far and it's the first one I've walked out of mildly annoyed because of its twist. The entire movie is a treading water filler quest that may as well have been called "John Wick 3, Part 1"

Fortunately the action is still really good and worth the price of admission! A lot of people at my screening were laughing out loud at how brutal some of the set pieces were.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just left the theater and god loving drat it’s so good. SO loving GOOD.

Close to final fight spoiler:
john wick vs The Raid series was SO loving AMAZING

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
While the action was as great as ever, and probably even better than John Wick 2, this one is definitely going to be a line in the sand for some people. It definitely goes waaaaay farther over the top than the previous two movies, but that's mostly in a select few moments so it wasn't a huge issue for me. Early on I was pretty worried when Wick killed two dudes by getting a horse to kick them in the face, but there wasn't a whole lot of the Looney Tunes kinda stuff after that.

It also felt a lot more gruesome than the others. In my theater there were definitely people who weren't prepared for Wick to go to town on the big guy's face and neck with the book in the opening fight scene. Lots of gasps on that one.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
That was awesome. I’m gonna post thoughts in a bit

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Just wrapped up over here too. The action is superb and it’s been amazing to see Stahelski perfectly handle the gradual increase in budget over the course of the series, but I agree with the notion that the plot just treads water and the movie basically ends in the same place it began.

Also really feels like an asspull that both John and the Bowery King survived what they both went through.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Hatchet throw was definitely hilarious.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
My thoughts.

Loved the first 40 or so minutes, it was definitely brutal yet hilarious.
Mark Dacascos was hilarious as a Wick fan and fantastic. He's still incredibly athletic.
I loved how cordial Yayan and Cecep were when fighting John. Although it's brutally obvious they're on another level. I'm so glad to see them get notable time and in a way that adds to the weirdness and humor.
I loved the entire film.
I thought Halle Berry was good too even if she telegraphed action and everything had to slow around her.
Attack Dogs rocked.
I liked seeing where the coins were made and Morocco was atmospheric.
I liked The Elder and the Coinmaker.
I thought it neat-o that the Ballet symbolizes what everyone goes through for these kinds of movies. Anjelica Houston was good.
The Continental and Concierge are cool beans.
Dogs are important.
Also that John is from Belarus. Does this imply he's a Gypsy?

I thought the movement was weak to have Wick go all the way out, meet the Elder, then quickly turn upon his return but I'm not going to complain as I enjoyed the journey.
The movie did feel more like an extension or bridge than a natural continuation of the story.

I'm gonna guess it'll be shown that Winston was a jerk but saved Wick and managed to re-instate his hotel so he can help him on the sly. Now The High Table has enemies.
I'm gonna kinda hope that the next movie opens with Wick hunting and the movie is a series of boss fights around the world as John goes on a High Council killing spree.
I hope that Joe Talsim and Iko Uwais make it in the next one.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 17, 2019

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Chad Stahelski deserves a spot among the all-time greats for action directors. There are a lot of stealthy characters in this movie, and the things he does with blocking and shadows to conceal things and people in plain sight is NUTS.

You can also feel the bigger budget, hard, but not in boring ways like having more big name actors all at once against more CGI monsters, but actually creative stuff like dogs in action scenes, scenes on motorcycles, scenes on location far away from NYC, etc.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
This movie really hated dicks.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Basebf555 posted:

While the action was as great as ever, and probably even better than John Wick 2, this one is definitely going to be a line in the sand for some people. It definitely goes waaaaay farther over the top than the previous two movies, but that's mostly in a select few moments so it wasn't a huge issue for me. Early on I was pretty worried when Wick killed two dudes by getting a horse to kick them in the face, but there wasn't a whole lot of the Looney Tunes kinda stuff after that.

It also felt a lot more gruesome than the others. In my theater there were definitely people who weren't prepared for Wick to go to town on the big guy's face and neck with the book in the opening fight scene. Lots of gasps on that one.

The action tops the first two, though I really hope this doesn't time into just another perpetual action franchise. I'll be happy as long as Iko Uwais is in the next John Wick movie and they conclude the story already

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

How much time has elapsed in this trilogy so far? Like four weeks?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

checkplease posted:

This movie really hated dicks.

Which is strange, because I came out of it with a raging hard-on.

This film owns, whomever does all of the choreography for these films should be rich as hell. I don't get how they keep things so fresh and interesting after 3 films. I was afraid I was going to get bored but it was the exact opposite and when it ended I couldn't believe 2 hours flew by so fast. Keanu's definitely slowing a bit down but he's still doing impressive physical stuff.

smoobles posted:

How much time has elapsed in this trilogy so far? Like four weeks?

Just about.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pirate Jet posted:

Just wrapped up over here too. The action is superb and it’s been amazing to see Stahelski perfectly handle the gradual increase in budget over the course of the series, but I agree with the notion that the plot just treads water and the movie basically ends in the same place it began.

Also really feels like an asspull that both John and the Bowery King survived what they both went through.

Here's my take

stahelski said early in production that this movie was going to be about a class war between the Bowery and the servants of the high table. with that in mind, this movie feels like they realized they hadn't done quite enough to get the plot to that point and needed to do just a little bit more, given how the end pretty clearly sets that up

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

s.i.r.e. posted:

Which is strange, because I came out of it with a raging hard-on.

This film owns, whomever does all of the choreography for these films should be rich as hell. I don't get how they keep things so fresh and interesting after 3 films. I was afraid I was going to get bored but it was the exact opposite and when it ended I couldn't believe 2 hours flew by so fast. Keanu's definitely slowing a bit down but he's still doing impressive physical stuff.

Just about.

About two. The first two take place over roughly a week, and then this one is about a week from start to finish.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
This movie whipped rear end

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mentioned this in genchat, but did the musical score kinda strike anyone else as a little wet-fart-y compared to the first two? Like, the first two movies have loving amazing scores and this one's is... just kinda okay.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

About two. The first two take place over roughly a week, and then this one is about a week from start to finish.

Has any movie trilogy been that fast-packed in-universe before?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

YaketySass posted:

Has any movie trilogy been that fast-packed in-universe before?
Back to the Future 1-3 takes place in like two days technically

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mentioned this in genchat, but did the musical score kinda strike anyone else as a little wet-fart-y compared to the first two? Like, the first two movies have loving amazing scores and this one's is... just kinda okay.

The final battle reused the same score from the second one’s final battle.

Also no La Castle Vania.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Cool fight, John

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CelticPredator posted:

The final battle reused the same score from the second one’s final battle.

Also no La Castle Vania.

Yeah that was kind of what I was thinking of- all the melodies in general seemed to just be riffing off of Plastic Heart from Chapter 2 instead of a new song, and yeah, there wasn't a sick Le Castle Vania track in a nightclub fight (or a nightclub fight at all)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Another thing, whoever works on the sets / locations for this thing is loving insane and I love him. In JW2 the whole mirror set piece was awesome and now in 3 they got ahead and put the end fight in this incredible looking glass room where reflections, seeing through, and light play a part of it. Setting up the camera and action around this must have been insane.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
in the second to last fight where John goes through ten straight glass skull cases it is a deliberate homage to Dewey Cox tearing sinks off the walls and you can’t convince me otherwise

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Here's my take

stahelski said early in production that this movie was going to be about a class war between the Bowery and the servants of the high table. with that in mind, this movie feels like they realized they hadn't done quite enough to get the plot to that point and needed to do just a little bit more, given how the end pretty clearly sets that up

It fuckin owns that Stahelski is aware of and intends the imagery of John teaming up with an army of homeless people to take down an organization of high-class hoity-toity rich people. Do you know where the interview is?

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
What was he doing to the old revolver? Was the cylinder not spinning, or was the timing of the cylinder off?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

poonchasta posted:

What was he doing to the old revolver? Was the cylinder not spinning, or was the timing of the cylinder off?

Assembling the revolver and listening to the barrel clicking as it rolled was a reference to a scene from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6E3d-cULBY

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It does occur to me that John has limits when he fights the Raid guys. I felt that fight was over too suddenly but I also blame that I’ve seen them in other movies go so hard for long.. Like John’s reputation precedes him but the two make excuses for why he’s not outclassing them. And this is sort of the first time John is the big strong heavy who is throwing them around. John in hand to hand is good against most but I like they show he isn’t a complete match to the Raid guys. He does do better against Dacascos.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

air- posted:

Assembling the revolver and listening to the barrel clicking as it rolled was a reference to a scene from The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6E3d-cULBY

Yea but Wick was taking it apart for a reason, but the scene went quickly and I kinda missed that. Was it that the cylinder wasn't aligned properly? Or was he taking a cylinder off of one revolver and fitting it to the barrel of another?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but Wick was taking it apart for a reason, but the scene went quickly and I kinda missed that. Was it that the cylinder wasn't aligned properly? Or was he taking a cylinder off of one revolver and fitting it to the barrel of another?

It looked to me he was taking it off one revolver and putting it on another. I think the first was stuck or wouldn’t turn so he got a similar gun and reconstructed it with a different barrel.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gatts posted:

It looked to me he was taking it off one revolver and putting it on another. I think the first was stuck or wouldn’t turn so he got a similar gun and reconstructed it with a different barrel.

I know he attempted to load the ammo into the revolver and it didn't fit for some reason? So I guess he then had to take the barrel off, switch it out for a different barrel that was the proper size for that ammo?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Not to go all Vince McMahon, but John fighting Mad Dog on his knees felt a little silly. I think the general idea was that they kept cutting him down to keep the fight at their level, but I didn’t get any sense of desperation from John since they were just playing with him. A terrific fight but not exactly what I was expecting.

Also John giving his wedding ring as tribute felt super weird. I understand that he sacrificed it to live, but that he had to learn from Winston that to truly live you must have something to live for, but him giving that away felt weird. Especially since it seemed to lead to an all-black suit and an Evil Superman vibe where he would do the bad guy’s bidding teaming up with the ninjas. But then he just decided not to. I guess it gives him something to reclaim in the next movie.

I liked the fights, but it kinda felt like John Wick vs The Foot Clan once dudes starting rolling in wearing armor and with their faces covered. Also not sure if I liked the bad guy being a Wick super-fan. You can have respect for your opponent, like Common did, without comical hero worship.

Also not a fan of literally falling off a six story building at the end. John getting thrown off a club balcony ducked him up in the first movie, I don’t like seeing this kind of super progression where he can survive anything.

A lot of complaining from me but I really liked it. Stunts, fights, sets, visuals, etc are all getting better and better. Just some of the character choices were ehhh. But they might grow on me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's definitely moments here and there in all three Wick movies where the choreography is just a little too slow to be believable, and there were definitely a few of those moments in the Keanu vs. The Raid guys fight. Everything they're doing in these movies is so ambitious though that you just have to be able to let that stuff go.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Violator posted:

Also not a fan of literally falling off a six story building at the end. John getting thrown off a club balcony ducked him up in the first movie, I don’t like seeing this kind of super progression where he can survive anything.

He did take some mysterious Chinese pills at the beginning. :shrug:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
^^^

Correct, ammo didnt fit so he changed the barrel.

gently caress that was some movie. Utter batshit insane from start to finish

Good but not great -

The final Ninja clan fight felt a bit off. It seemed like John was going to get his rear end handed to him then he became Super Ninja himself and really was given too much respite

Music - no Le Castle Vania? BOOOOOOOOOO

Great -

However to me the way Wick started to really fight back seemed to me that we saw the return of the real John Wick as he was before he got out. So this to me was the return of the Baba Yaga that scared the poo poo out of everyone - up till then he was the John Wick that had retired and wasnt quite what he was. And of course right at the cliffhanger ending, we now see the man you send to kill the loving boogeyman fully realised, angry and ready to rain absolute hell on the High Table.

The opening action sequence was absolutly insane (Horse kicks, knife throwing, death by book), the Casablanca scene (Hooooly poo poo those dogs hate dicks, I could watch that scene over and over again) and Wick vs the High Table armoured goon squads. Major props to Lance Reddick and Halle Berry for holding their own action-wise

Stuntwork gently caress me batshit insane

Cinematogaphy was just next level. Say what you will but the visuals continue to be stunning

Overall absolutly loved it and I cant wait for whatever's next in this incredible gift to action movies.

Edit : One thing I noticed that suprised me was the theatre wasnt filled with 20ish year olds. It was a much older and also female leaning audience I really thought the 70+ year old lady that set next to us was in the wrong theatre but nope, she was hollering along with the action. I got the feeling this may make a lot more money than anyone was expecting.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 17, 2019

Violator
May 15, 2003

I really, really enjoy how they keep wide shots and don't cut very much. Even if it's clever editing and CGI, that knife fight in the beginning sure looked like a lot of very impressive work by Keanu Reeves. The same goes for Halle Berry's scenes. Long takes, wide angles, and you see her face in almost everything so you really get the impression it's her doing everything. And even if the mainstream actors are a little slow, the fights are staged so that it's not "everyone waits for their turn to fight the hero" syndrome you see elsewhere. The fights progress logically. This is such a breath of fresh air compared to everything else coming out of Hollywood.

I'm super excited for the next one where Laurence Fishburn can unlock his Hannibal S03E01 brawler style. :O Oh, and I just remembered the suplex and Samoan Drop during the Mad Dog fight. NICE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Having thought about it, portraying Ruhian and Rahman as like honorable fighters who really are just excited to be able to fight Wick was a pretty clever choice because it allows them to slow their moves down a bit and give Keanu some breaks but with an established in-universe reason for why they'd do that.