Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Those cool curved knives are called Karambits and they come from Western Sumatra! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karambit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Isn’t it the same style of knife that the main character from The Man From Nowhere used?

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Lumbermouth posted:

Isn’t it the same style of knife that the main character from The Man From Nowhere used?

The villain's main heavy did, yes. The protagonist used a regular combat knife. The extremely cool fight in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz-Sn3fiSxw&t=348s

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The villain's main heavy did, yes. The protagonist used a regular combat knife. The extremely cool fight in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz-Sn3fiSxw&t=348s

The Man From Nowhere is hella good. It's only really got one big action scene in it, but it's a hell of a scene. The director's follow up, 'No Tears for the Dead" was also excellent, though similarly glacially paced. Korean cinema seems to be one of the few cinemas that really understand how loving terrifying knives and knife fights are.

Also, I'm really not trying to be a dick and this is an honest question to correct my mistake. I'm not clear what I got probated for, what would have been the correct term/terms/pronouns?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Snowman_McK posted:

The Man From Nowhere is hella good. It's only really got one big action scene in it, but it's a hell of a scene. The director's follow up, 'No Tears for the Dead" was also excellent, though similarly glacially paced. Korean cinema seems to be one of the few cinemas that really understand how loving terrifying knives and knife fights are.

Also, I'm really not trying to be a dick and this is an honest question to correct my mistake. I'm not clear what I got probated for, what would have been the correct term/terms/pronouns?

Asia Kate Dillon prefers they/them, from what I’ve read.

I get you though, it’s an honest mistake. I didn’t know about Dillon being non-binary until I did the light research needed for the OP.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 23, 2019

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

Asia Kate Dillon prefers they/them, from what I’ve read.

I get you though, it’s an honest mistake. I didn’t know about Dillon being non-binary until I did the light research needed for the OP.

Yeah, i read a few interviews with them, and the article used 'she/her' etc in a semi-woke publication. I know better going forward.

I was just trying to make a point about the tattoo. It doesn't really jibe with a humourless enforcer of the high council, and i like the idea that whatever they were before, they're now just 'the adjudicator.' It's left there as the one marker of their old identity.

It goes with the form concealing costume which kind of reminded me of the costumes in Titus, which tried to imagine Roman Empire outfits in a modern setting. Made me think of one of those very specific and important officials the Romans had.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The whole assassin ecosystem seems generally pretty tattoo friendly, given the phone operators

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I also thought the Adjudicator was female. :shrug: I loved they way they held their gloves, so fancy!
I mean no offense from this at all. Just a honest mistake. I was not familiar with the actor.

E: DId anyone catch Sofia's dog names? I didn't know if she was just giving commands/code words or calling their names.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 23, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I believe they were "Oscar" and "Winner"

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Is that a joke?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I super loved the karambit vs belt fight. SEA martial arts are really good with knives and I hope this film brings more attention to them.

I also wished Mark Dacascos had more cat scenes... I want a blu-ray copy to use his thumbs up gestures as reaction images...

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I was also surprised they didn’t put a bullet into the adjudicator at the end. You’re going to war with the high council you may as well send a good warning shot at them first that nobody is safe but after reading the thread and the speculation on Winstons motivations I guess it makes sense. I also thought the Bowery King was merely being maimed as punishment and his Long Live the King moment not as an acceptance of death but as a loss of his position. And honestly I was too enthralled in the action that I didn’t pay any attention whatsoever to the music, like I have zero memory of it.

We were also sitting next to an elderly couple and I was surprised but I guess Keanu can literally bring everyone to the yard. Do we still need to spoiler things? Surely if you're in page 7 of this thread you're not going in expecting not to have anything spoiled but I don't feel like getting probed in case I'm wrong and I'm not usually a CD poster.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This is like that bit from Last Action Hero.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I loved this movie so much. More than the second one even. My favorite scene is where John and Charon have to go back to their stronghold for better guns because of the enemy's armor. They're so mad about it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I loved this movie so much. More than the second one even. My favorite scene is where John and Charon have to go back to their stronghold for better guns because of the enemy's armor. They're so mad about it.

Also Winston is making the best faces in that scene.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Lance Reddick getting to own some motherfuckers firsthand was awesome. If they do end up making that Continental show he should be prominent in it.

Edit: Also bring back Franco Nero for the TV show. Every global outpost of the Continental should have its own local genre star was the manager.

Hong Kong - Chow Yun Fat
Tokyo - Tadanobu Asano
Barcelona - Antonio Banderas

Blast Fantasto fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 23, 2019

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Jersey - Joey Pants w/ a soul patch and a steak

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

I would love to see a London Continental run by Ray Winstone.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Welcome to the Flavertown Continental

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Welcome to the Flavertown Continental

gently caress yes.

Des Moines Continental run by Jack McBrayer.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
JW4 reveals that Food Network actually holds a seat at the High Table and all the t.v. chefs are actually assassins. Dacascas used to work for them of course but then went off on his own after a falling out with Bobby Flay.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Basebf555 posted:

JW4 reveals that Food Network actually holds a seat at the High Table and all the t.v. chefs are actually assassins. Dacascas used to work for them of course but then went off on his own after a falling out with Bobby Flay.

Bobby Flay of course not being his real name but an assassin nickname given to him from the sadistic torture he inflicts on targets.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.doesthedogdie.com/media/17026

lmao

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Just wow

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Some of these are pretty useful (as a dad I do like "is Santa spoiled?") but "does the dragon die"??? really???

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Is there a list of references or callbacks that has been posted anywhere yet?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I'm waiting for that big effort post on art history and such from whoever posted one after Chapter 2 came out. Particularly about all those paintings that were in the room where John paid for his "ticket" with Angelica Huston's character. They weren't in focus but I'm pretty sure one of them behind Huston was Judith Beheading Holofernes or maybe the Caravaggio version of the same scene.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Snowman_McK posted:

Yeah, i read a few interviews with them, and the article used 'she/her' etc in a semi-woke publication. I know better going forward.

I was just trying to make a point about the tattoo. It doesn't really jibe with a humourless enforcer of the high council, and i like the idea that whatever they were before, they're now just 'the adjudicator.' It's left there as the one marker of their old identity.

It goes with the form concealing costume which kind of reminded me of the costumes in Titus, which tried to imagine Roman Empire outfits in a modern setting. Made me think of one of those very specific and important officials the Romans had.

I thought it fit with the whole Rockabilly phone line operators aesthetic.

I also hated "Guns. Lots of guns." Like, go for the cheesy reference if you want but don't literally use the same line, it's nowhere near obscure enough.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

porfiria posted:

I also hated "Guns. Lots of guns." Like, go for the cheesy reference if you want but don't literally use the same line, it's nowhere near obscure enough.

The Matrix came out 20 years ago. I went to a Best Buy recently and the website said they had a copy, but it wasn't on the shelf so I asked someone about it. I had to spell the name of the movie because they'd never heard of it.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

porfiria posted:

The director was Keanu Reeves' stunt double in The Matrix and Laurence Fishburne is there so they probably held back on using that cheesy line as long as they could.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

poonchasta posted:

The director was Keanu Reeves' stunt double in The Matrix and Laurence Fishburne is there so they probably held back on using that cheesy line as long as they could.

Hey I get it but have the line be "Firearms. A large quantity of firearms" or something. Make it funnier.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I disagree. There are very few actors around who have recognizable lines from earlier in their career and who still have enough goodwill towards those earlier movies and themselves to be able to make a reference like that and make it work (that line killed at my screening). I say go for it if you can.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
My cinema loved it. It's literally the first time he's done a callback and it's because he's working with the same people again, let us have it. You can talk when he's milking it like Arnie.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Lumbermouth posted:

I would love to see a London Continental run by Ray Winstone.

Can i suggest the film 'Accident Man' which has a british pub exclusively for assassins run by Ray Stevenson. It's pretty good if really low budget and very Scott Adkinsy. Not that Scott Adkins is a bad thing, but it's almost it's own little sub genre of action film now. Dude's a worker.

Basebf555 posted:

The Matrix came out 20 years ago. I went to a Best Buy recently and the website said they had a copy, but it wasn't on the shelf so I asked someone about it. I had to spell the name of the movie because they'd never heard of it.

I was in a pub over the weekend and one of the people i was drinking with was 20. He was born the year the Matrix came out. He was six when Batman Begins came out. I realised this because I referenced both films and he hadn't seen either of them.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Hong Kong - Chow Yun Fat
Tokyo - Tadanobu Asano
Barcelona - Antonio Banderas

France - Jean Reno
Russia - Dolph Lundgren.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Accident Man is very good and a great intro to Adkins if someone has never seen him. It was definitely discussed in the action movie thread.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In retrospect he didn't get that many guns, only like two

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

In retrospect he didn't get that many guns, only like two

It was cool that they spent all that time building up how many guns he had and how cool the bullets were with all the fetishy closeups, and then they do essentially nothing against the goons. It made the payoff when he switched guns and ammo really loving satisfying.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This movie felt like Neo dicking around in free roam in the Matrix for two hours.

Not that that's a bad thing.

I hope the head villain in the next one is Wick's old dog, back from the dead and out for revenge.

Also, John Wick teams up with Jack Reacher and the Equalizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Overall really enjoyed it. Attack dogs was the highlight in my mind, but I tip my hat to horse kicks as well.

I did find Keanu looked to be slowing down a little bit in some of the scenes at the end, but still thought the movie as a whole was a fantastic ride