Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf2KuHp0CYc

Shortly after the Battle of Endor, Leia Organa brought the Galactic Civil War to a formal close by claiming the Imperial Throne. In the one and a half years since, she has worked closely with Chancellor Mon Mothma, easing the galaxy back from a total war footing and preparing to restore the Senate. Her brother, Luke Skywalker, has finally managed to steal enough time away from guarding his sister against assassination attempts to begin identifying, recruiting, and training agents for the Order Inquisitive, which is absolutely not a front for reviving the still-proscribed Jedi Order.

~♦~♦~♦~♦~♦~♦~♦~♦~♦~♦~♦~♦~

This will be an experimental campaign using the hack of 7th Sea 2e I developed, set in an alternate post-Endor timeline. The hack is still in a very early state, so your constructive feedback is welcomed.

My desired group size for this game is somewhat flexible; 6 players is my limit for simultaneous management, but if enough people are interested I would like to run it as a quasi-West Marches style of campaign, with 10-12 people split into multiple teams who go out into the galaxy, each on their own missions. Whichever route we end up taking, the game will be run live on Discord every Friday at 19:00 Eastern US.

This will be a Force-heavy game; depending on our overall cast size, I want 4-8 (or more) Force Sensitive PCs. Non-Force Sensitives are by no means prohibited, but they will get less priority during recruiting, and be less directly involved with the central plot of the campaign. More generally, what I'm looking for are characters who are a already a little bit seasoned – Luke at the beginning of ESB, not Luke at the beginning of ANH. Tell me what they were up to during the height of the Galactic Civil War, and what might have brought them to the attention of the Empress and her brother.

Anshu fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Definitely interested, but with my work schedule, it would heavily depend on timing for a live game. I'll make sure to keep an eye out to see how that plays out!

edit: Monday afternoons PST are the only consistent time I have off, as my schedule is incredibly inconsistent!

Double-edit: drat. If Mondays can't work, then I'm sadly out. Best of luck, though! Enjoy the game!

Rhyos fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 17, 2019

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Tentatively interested; will depend on schedule as well.

e: mondays also work for me, as would thursdays

Leraika fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 15, 2019

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

I've only played 7th Sea 2e once before, but it does seem rather an odd fit to discard the national magics in favour of one, multi-faceted Force system - especially since theres no equivalent to Force Pushing/Force Pulling/Force Lightning/etc. which are very trademarkish for Star Wars.

As a suggestion, wouldn't it be better to keep the national magics as much as is possible (portals are probably a lost cause) and rewrite them as inherent abilities of Aliens species/species-specific Force traditions? Seems that way you would get to keep more of the flavour and variety.

I'm tentatively interested, though as with the others schedule would be important, and I've not read through properly all the system changes, so take with a pinch of salt.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Conot posted:

I've only played 7th Sea 2e once before, but it does seem rather an odd fit to discard the national magics in favour of one, multi-faceted Force system - especially since theres no equivalent to Force Pushing/Force Pulling/Force Lightning/etc. which are very trademarkish for Star Wars.

I was primarily interested in the dueling mechanics, to be honest.

Force Push/Pull/Lightning are all covered by the general Alter power; they're all ways of manipulating your surroundings to your advantage or your foes' disadvantage – creating or avoiding Consequences and creating or taking Opportunities. Mind tricks would also fall under Alter.

Regarding the schedule, it might help to know what times each of you are available.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007
I am very witty: nit-witty, dim-witty, and half-witty.

I've never gotten a chance to play 7th sea before, but I've always wanted to give it a try, and this looks like a very interesting hack. I'd be extremely interested to get involved, and in regards to scheduling, I'm usually free after about 5:30 to 6 p.m. CST during the week, and after about 1 p.m. on the weekend.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
I’m interested, generally available after 6PM EST weekdays. Weekends are pretty unreliable for me.

Character-wise I was thinking of playing a Kaleesh, their relationship to the Jedi and the Empire is interesting and it’s an excuse to have a slugthrower. Is there anything on them in the hack already or can I make up details?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Mondays are the only day of the week that doesn't work for me; other than that I'm pretty much wide open to run whenever.

Bendigeidfran posted:

I'm interested, generally available after 6PM EST weekdays. Weekends are pretty unreliable for me.

Character-wise I was thinking of playing a Kaleesh, their relationship to the Jedi and the Empire is interesting and it's an excuse to have a slugthrower. Is there anything on them in the hack already or can I make up details?
Nope, I haven't written anything about the Kaleesh, so we'll be making things up for them together. Did you have something in mind?

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Anshu posted:

Mondays are the only day of the week that doesn't work for me; other than that I'm pretty much wide open to run whenever.

Nope, I haven't written anything about the Kaleesh, so we'll be making things up for them together. Did you have something in mind?

I was thinking that after the Empire's collapse they'd reunited and become a small "empire" themselves, mostly by demanding tribute from weakened worlds in Wild Space. They don't care about much besides tribute though, and they provide protection and a safe environment for travel, so it's not a terrible deal. Plus if you put up a good enough fight the Kaleesh'll put some of your culture's heroes into their religion. I'd imagine OG Separatists like the ones in Serenno are pretty fond of them.

Their military would be mostly abandoned Galactic Empire equipment and a lot of Clone Wars-era CIS stuff adapted for use by scaly meatbags. It would've violently butted against Zsinj by this point, so they figure their best opportunity to expand is when Leia's folks inevitably start their own fight with the guy. Contacts are cultivated with the "Imperial Republic" even if the very name makes them retch instinctively. Their inaugural act of diplomacy was returning the lightsaber of a padawan General Grievous killed with a ton of fanfare about how generous they were being, which led to many passionate reactions.

My character would be an emissary monk whose nascent Force powers have been cultivated around following the paths of fallen heroes (gods, in the Kaleesh's view). A pretty attractive candidate for someone who's trying to rebuild an ancient order he knows next to nothing about, but also a dangerous one.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 17, 2019

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm interested and available most weekdays that aren't Wednesdays or Thursdays after 6 PM CST. Thinking a Mon Calamari with a history of being an artisan who may become a lightsaber duelist given time, interested in shaping using the force (I see that Alchemy is a Witch/Sith tradition by nature so he might even tempted by that.)

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Bendigeidfran posted:

I was thinking that after the Empire's collapse they'd reunited and become a small "empire" themselves, mostly by demanding tribute from weakened worlds in Wild Space. They don't care about much besides tribute though, and they provide protection and a safe environment for travel, so it's not a terrible deal. I'd imagine OG Separatists like the ones in Serenno are pretty fond of them.

Their military would be mostly abandoned Galactic Empire equipment and a lot of Clone Wars-era CIS stuff adapted for use by scaly meatbags. It would've violently butted against Zsinj by this point, so they figure their best opportunity to expand is when Leia's folks inevitably start their own fight with the guy. Contacts are cultivated with the "Imperial Republic" even if the very name makes them retch instinctively. Though, their inaugural act of diplomacy was returning the lightsaber of a padawan General Grievous killed with a ton of fanfare about how generous they were being. Things could use some work.

My character would be an emissary monk whose nascent Force powers have been cultivated around following the paths of fallen heroes (gods, in the Kaleesh's view). A pretty attractive candidate for someone who's trying to rebuild an ancient order he knows next to nothing about, but also a dangerous one.

I meant statswise, actually, but I like that!

Zsinj would be interested in bringing the Kaleesh into his fold as vassals on similar terms to what they have been offering their own conquests. The Kaleesh don't really trust him or the Imperial Republic, but they're trying to play both sides off each other to get the best deal that they can.

Do you think your guy was part of the delegation that delivered the lightsaber?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Leraika posted:

Tentatively interested; will depend on schedule as well.

e: mondays also work for me, as would thursdays
What timezone, and what about Tuesdays? Edit: And how about you, Conot?

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

I'm interested and available most weekdays that aren't Wednesdays or Thursdays after 6 PM CST. Thinking a Mon Calamari with a history of being an artisan who may become a lightsaber duelist given time, interested in shaping using the force (I see that Alchemy is a Witch/Sith tradition by nature so he might even tempted by that.)

I like the sound of that!

Anshu fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 18, 2019

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Anshu posted:

I meant statswise, actually, but I like that!

Zsinj would be interested in bringing the Kaleesh into his fold as vassals on similar terms to what they have been offering their own conquests. The Kaleesh don't really trust him or the Imperial Republic, but they're trying to play both sides off each other to get the best deal that they can.

Do you think your guy was part of the delegation that delivered the lightsaber?

He would've been part of that delegation, yes. I figure a state run by Empress Leia has some strong opinions about diplomatic immunity and I'd like to play with that.

Re: stats. Off the cuff, I'd say the Kaleesh species gives 1 extra point in Resolve and can purchase:
  • Indomitable Will for 1
  • Sniper for 2
  • Remember My Name for 3
Going off the importance their society puts on resilience, fighting prowess, and earning fame for great deeds.

The species-specific background for my character is Warrior Monk. Kaleesh monastic orders take up arms against each other as often as they face Kalee's enemies, yet remain sacrosanct to society at large. Divine wisdom springs from their lips and they are often called upon to recite the great deeds of their people. For the spacefaring ascetics among them, life is harsh and deprived even by Kaleesh standards.

It gives the Advantages Bruiser, Force Sensitive, Survivalist, and Durasteel Stomach.
Its skills are Melee, Empathy, Scholarship, Perform, and Medicine.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Those stats look good to me, except drop the Force Sensitive Advantage from Warrior Monk. I'm probably going to end up just giving you guys the first purchase for free.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Did a little thinking since the first interest post; considering something along the lines of a bounty-hunting Trandoshan Witch; maybe some sort of oracle or farseer whose visions lead to fated hunts...and reveal dishonorable hunters trying to cheat the system.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

So a Jagannath Judge with the Sense power? Cool!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

EST, can't do tuesday. Kind of thinking some sort of scholar/collector of Jedi artifacts, though I'd have to work on you re: timeline and where on the 'normal person with weird tastes' v. 'actual Jedi who'd been hiding valuable artifacts' spectrum they'd fall. Probably Human, though I'm not 100% committed to that. Hermit-ish, most likely.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Leraika posted:

EST, can't do tuesday. Kind of thinking some sort of scholar/collector of Jedi artifacts, though I'd have to work on you re: timeline and where on the 'normal person with weird tastes' v. 'actual Jedi who'd been hiding valuable artifacts' spectrum they'd fall. Probably Human, though I'm not 100% committed to that. Hermit-ish, most likely.

What about Fridays?

For character concept, I'd prefer closer to the "normal person" end, although I wouldn't mind a character at about the same level as late Season 1 to early Season 2 Ezra Bridger – someone who got some training from a surviving Padawan, but then lost their teacher to the Empire?

Anshu fucked around with this message at 18:44 on May 18, 2019

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Anshu posted:

What about Fridays?

For character concept, I'd prefer closer to the "normal person" end, although I wouldn't mind a character at about the same level as late Season 1 to early Season 2 Ezra Bridger – someone who got some training from a surviving Padawan, but then lost their teacher to the Empire?

That sounds about what I'd want, yeah. Fridays are okay.

Punting
Sep 9, 2007

Fridays are pretty ideal for me as well.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
I’m cool with Fridays, and I’ll replace Force Sensitive with Inspire Generosity. It’s got good story potential, it plays up the impoverished monk angle, and it’s flexible enough to be anything fron pity-induced to extortion.

also, Quirk: pursue the trails of past heroes (be they Jedi, Sith, or anything in between) and reveal the truth of their actions.

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

I’d kill to play, but just about no way I can make the schedule work, I don’t think. Good luck, this looks cool!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Oh boy, a Star Wars game!

In terms of scheduling, I work a pretty regular job, free after about 4pm (Atlantic) Monday to Friday, as well as all day Saturday. I'm in Atlantic time, so that's 4 hours ahead of Pacific and 1 hour ahead of Eastern. Fridays is a good day for me, if that's what you're leaning towards. I've got a lot of experience playing other tabletop RPGs, but I've never even heard of 7th Sea, so I'll be learning as we go.

As for a character concept, I'm thinking a spy, probably a Bothan. Some of these backgrounds and advantages (ex. "I'll add it to my list", "I've been waiting for this", Crafty Agent) seem really flavourful and I'd love to see what I can do with this. Being a Bothan Spy provides a ready-made hook for the character's past activities as well as feeding into the whole "What got you noticed by the Jedi?" thing.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

You will need access to the text of the 7th Sea 2e core book, since most of the fundamental mechanics aren't covered in my hack document.

That said, I'm really liking the crew we're putting together.

Bendi - Kaleesh monk
Nixon - Mon Cal artisan
Punting - Trandoshan Witch
Leraika - Human Duelist/Scholar
Kobold - Bothan Spy

It looks like the optimal game time 3-5 hours on Fridays at 22:00 UTC (17:00 Atlantic, 18:00 Eastern, 19:00 Central, by my calc).

Edit: hosed up the timezones, it should be 19:00 Atlantic, 18:00 Eastern, 17:00 Central.

Anshu fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 7, 2019

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Given what we've got, I think my character's backgrounds will be duelist/scholar. Do you have the discord set up yet?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Yeah, here's the link: https://discord.gg/5b3Zwhd

Radio Free Kobold posted:

Some of these backgrounds and advantages (ex. "I'll add it to my list", "I've been waiting for this", Crafty Agent) seem really flavourful

Most of those I can't take credit for. The species backgrounds are mine, and there are a couple of original advantages, but mostly they're copied straight from official 7th Sea material (although a couple of them have gotten renamed in the change of setting).

Anshu fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 21, 2019

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

It looks like you have a group sorted out anyway but I should say I'll withdraw interest since Fridays are rough for me at the moment. Good luck and have fun!

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Edited a permalink into my post above for Kobold and Punting, here it is again: https://discord.gg/5b3Zwhd

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I don't think I'm gonna have time to do this, actually. Sorry!

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

That's a shame.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...
Blaring horns and clashing gongs echo through the leaf-dusted streets, wrestling for dominance with the crowd's incessant roar. It is a Kaleesh festival day.

Lagash stands laughing upon a platform of emerald and blue, ringing his crude bell to the stomping pace of the novices below. Behind him the severed heads of a dozen Imperial officers, tied together by strands of finely-knotted crimson, beat their own merry tune against the beige shell of an AAT. Happier times were never had.

Lagash Jal Saika

Lagash's life has led him through some of the worst bouts of starvation and exposure the galaxy has to offer, but you couldn't tell that by talking to him. He is a jovial, talkative figure, rough in his manners but always earnest. Those who can stand his stench will find a stubborn ally and a surprisingly wise conversationalist.

He is a monk, an ascetic dedicated to honoring his people's many gods. He has been one ever since his parents sent him to work at the Saika monastery as a child, recognizing that his unnatural predictive senses were a sign of special talent. And he remained one (albeit as an exile) even after he burned half a temple in defiance of his superiors' faithless nepotism. Life as a wandering holy man suited him better than anything else, it turned out, and many years were spent in joyous battle against hunger and cold.

War with the Galactic Empire eventually brought him back into the fold. He joined the 100 Saintly Rifles, fearless warrior-monks who led the capture of the grounded ISD-1 Excubitore and avenged the millions who died when it bombarded Kaleesh worlds. Alas, only 21 of their company survived the assault, and Lagash was among them! To console him over his continued lingering in the mortal world, Lagash was appointed as an honored emissary after the war.

He has now been sent to bear one of Qymaen jai Sheelal's lowlier relics to the strange bastard state that's apparently consumed the old Empire. And while the very idea of the Core Worlds vaguely disgusts him, he has heard tell of powerful living gods emerging among their people's ranks. It is a chance he can't miss.

pre:
Name: Lagash jal Saika
Species: Kaleesh
Virtue: Illuminating
Hubris: Overzealous

Traits (TBD):

Brawn    3
Finesse  2
Resolve  4
Wits     2
Panache  2

Skills (TBD):

Aim	       2
Melee       3
Empathy   2
Perform    2
Medicine     

Advantages:

Bruiser 
Durasteel Stomach
Inspire Generosity
Sniper
Survivalist
Remember My Name

Backgrounds:
-Warrior Monk

Story: Meeting The Gods Of A Foreign Land (3 Steps)
Ending: Lagash discovers the resting place of a forgotten Jedi.
Reward: Legendary Trait (Resolve)
First Step: Discover the goals of Skywalker, the Republic's living deity of Light. 
pre:
1. What species is your Hero?

Kaleesh.

2. How would you physically describe your Hero?

A tall, brawny Kaleesh who swathes his armor in stained threadbare robes.   
His yellowed tusks show the wear of hard living and middle age. Fine cracks flow across his bone mask.

3. Does your Hero have recurring mannerisms?

Lagash often picks and scratches at himself, and stares intently at whatever he finds interesting.
He often naps standing up while leaning on his glaive.

4. What is your Hero’s main motivation?

He seeks the trail of the gods, believing that he can improve himself through meditation
on (and participation in) the many struggles of the galaxy. 

5. What is your Hero’s greatest strength? Greatest weakness?

Lagash's will is nearly unbreakable. He has no fear of danger or hardship whatsoever, and will pursue his goals 
to the end of the galaxy. But he is also set in his habits, and his refusal to adapt has caused him no end of
grief outside the wild expanses he calls home.

6. What are your Hero’s most and least favorite things?

He enjoys himself around people he thinks are worthy of his attention, and will gladly welcome defeat
at their hands if he believes that his opponent's victory was earned. 

He hates greed and wealth. It hypnotizes honest people into the bidding of evil.

7. What about your Hero’s psychology?

He considers much of what happens in his life to be the will of the divine. Good fortune
is a blessing he's earned through proper conduct, and bad fortune is punishment for his misdeeds. 
All things happen as they are meant to.

8. What is your Hero’s single greatest fear?

He fears losing his cherished beliefs and loyalties, and dying a stranger's death instead of his own.

9. What are your Hero’s highest ambitions? His greatest love?

To join with the Kaleesh pantheon in the afterlife, so that he may eternally 
bring justice to the wicked and ease to the suffering. He loves the simple joys
of finding food and shelter in remote areas. 

10. What is your Hero’s opinion of his homeland?

His homeland, a stretch of the Outer Rim now known as the Sarbat Kalee, is a place he loves very much. 
Though he grates at the favoritism for khans' families and the growing fascination with empty imported luxuries,
he is still far more comfortable among his own customs than foreign ones.

11. Does your Hero have any prejudices?

He hates the Huk with an inherited passion and Imperials with a personal one.
While he is content to glare and spit at the former, the latter are in danger of
a swift and bloody beheading.

12. Where do your Hero’s loyalties lie?

First to the gods, second to the Saika monastery, third to the government of Sarbat Kalee. 

13. Is your Hero in love? Is he married or betrothed?

He has a crush on his former commander, the fearsome one-eyed Abbot Honskul. 
She's quite fond of him as well, but sadly they've both sworn to never marry. 

14. What about your Hero’s family?

Lagash's parents are simple, religious hunters from Kalee who put him into Saika
at an early age. His clan in general was known for its early allegiance to the great Qymaen 
jai Sheelal. They are some of the fiercest supporters of Kaleesh independence. 

15. How would your Hero’s parents describe him?

A lucky young man, who avoided the back-breaking labor and shattered families the Kaleesh
suffered under the Huk. 

16. Is your Hero a gentleman?

Not in the slightest. Lagash may be respected as a Kaleesh of the cloth,
but he has never once learned any manners. 

17. How religious is your Hero? 

Extremely. 

18. Is your Hero a member of a guild, gentle’s club, or secret society?

His performance against the Star Destroyer Excubitore raised his 
standing among the Saika monks significantly. Whatever influence in the Force they
have managed to scrape together is inclined to help him.

19. What does your Hero think of the Force?

He is aware of the fearsome powers that the Jedi and Sith wield,
but history shows them to be foolhardy and irresponsible. If that is 
their vaunted "Force", he'll stick with his own gods.

20. If you could, what advice would you give your Hero?
Try to die of old age.

Bendigeidfran fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

After showing up for Session Zero, Punting and Tricky Dick Nixon have failed to show up for two weeks in a row, so I'm re-opening recruitment for their slots.