Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

So.. Aaron Ramsey AND SMS? I’m pumped about Milinkovic-Savic, but uh, how many attacking midfielders do we need? Maybe we should buy a centerback??

I feel like this means we’re moving on Dybala, or at least Bernedeschi. Probably Dybala :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Some absolutely fantastic transfers-based nonsense today lads

habeasdorkus posted:

Huh, that's on me then for relying on stupid stereotypes.

Lots of Liverpool fans right now trying to talk themselves into not wanting de Ligt, with some of them saying that Lovren is a perfectly acceptable option at centerback and ignoring that we played Fabinho and Hendo at CB this part season due to injuries. I know we're not going to end up paying the 100m Euro that de Ligt is going to go for, plus the Raiola soupcon, but if Lovren is on this team in August I will be disappointed.

I'm certainly no fan of Lovren, but I've seen literally nobody say they'd prefer Lovren over De Ligt. However, if we were to sign him, particularly at the prices being quoted, he would have to start. That means no Gomez anymore who let's not forget was a massive part of us getting a record defensive record this season. Would Klopp want to do that? I don't think so.

Currently we have Van Dijk and Gomez as our first choice CB pairing (despite Matip's resurgence in the back half of the season I still think Gomez will be ahead of him come the start of next), then Matip, then Lovren. If Lovren is happy to be fourth choice then I'd challenge you to name a better fourth choice CB in the league.

We played Fabinho and Henderson because we had injuries to three center backs. Name another side in the league that can have that number of injuries to center backs field a pairing that doesn't involve players out of position (ignoring the fact that Fabinho was actually pretty drat good at CB).

bewbies posted:

why on earth would any one not want de ligt

liverpool won't get him, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be trying really hard to do so

sell matip and lovren both to help pay the fee for de ligt, sign some old dude on a free (I'm looking at you vermaelen) to be the 4th CB

Sell two CBs, buy one, Gomez and van Dijk get injured and suddenly we're in a worse position.

Yes we all want de Ligt. Liverpool have actively pursued him but stopped when the money has gotten ridiculous for someone who may not be a starter.

Brony Car posted:

I think there’s an issue with how much De Ligt would cost in terms of fee and wages versus his likelihood of starting and how much the money needs to be spent elsewhere. You have a good point, but the timing is a little unfortunate given how much good fullback cover and better bench attacking options are needed.

Liverpool do need to have a plan for Lovren, though. We know the guy’s ceiling and fitness issues and he’s getting older.

I think if Lovren's happy to stay then there's an argument to keep him for another year whilst Hoever gets bedded in, then in the season after have VVD/Gomez, Matip, Hoever.

Mickolution posted:

Not heard anything about Milner. His contract's up, yeah? He leaves a lot of gaps in the squad.

Milner's contract is up next season (there was some weird misinformation going around at the start of the season which made everyone think it was this season) so we're good. There was a risk that if Leeds came up he'd go for their first season but lol that ain't happening.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

EvilHawk posted:

I think if Lovren's happy to stay then there's an argument to keep him for another year whilst Hoever gets bedded in, then in the season after have VVD/Gomez, Matip, Hoever.

I would like to know where Lovren's wages are at. I forget how many years he has left on his contract too, although I do remember it being extended recently. Maybe back in 2018?

I'm psyched for Hoever to get more playing time. Hopefully that starts happening because Liverpool needs to start producing more talent in-house to have a prayer of catching up consistently to City's level.

Have any serious fullback links surfaced yet? Clyne seems to be dead and Moreno is almost certainly off to Spain. Robertson and Alexander-Arnold are so important that better coverage in that position is essential.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Lovren is on £100k/w through 2021.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

It is mental 2 me that 10 years ago £30m was a mental amount of money for a player and that's now a hundred is a pretty ordinary pricetag

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

EvilHawk posted:

Milner's contract is up next season (there was some weird misinformation going around at the start of the season which made everyone think it was this season) so we're good. There was a risk that if Leeds came up he'd go for their first season but lol that ain't happening.

Ahh right, that's great news. I was wondering why there was no talk of giving him a new contract.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Brony Car posted:

I would like to know where Lovren's wages are at. I forget how many years he has left on his contract too, although I do remember it being extended recently. Maybe back in 2018?

I'm psyched for Hoever to get more playing time. Hopefully that starts happening because Liverpool needs to start producing more talent in-house to have a prayer of catching up consistently to City's level.

Have any serious fullback links surfaced yet? Clyne seems to be dead and Moreno is almost certainly off to Spain. Robertson and Alexander-Arnold are so important that better coverage in that position is essential.

Yeah Lovren is potentially on a fair bit (worth remembering that basically all of our players are on super incentivised contracts), but if he leaves you still have to be able to fill that role and as we've seen this season you really need four center backs.

I don't think anything concrete has surfaced but a) we're preparing for a CL final so nobody cares about transfers right now and b) we don't really leak anymore. If/when we sign someone it'll be out of the blue.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

We definitely need a centre back to pair with Lindelof. I was hoping it'd be Bailley but every time he plays into some form bits start falling off him.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Bundy posted:

We definitely need a centre back to pair with Lindelof. I was hoping it'd be Bailley but every time he plays into some form bits start falling off him.

Maybe this is for another thread, but did Mourinho (and/or Jorge Mendes) have to do all the scouting and target-identifying during his time at United? For better or worse, I've been lurking on RedCafe and there seemed to be a lot of debate on why Mourinho kept identifying targets that Woodward pushed back on. Some people blame Mourinho for lacking imagination and others blamed the club for not having a better sporting director in place to deal with all the scouting and recruitment.

Maybe successful scouting is just hard. It seemed like Liverpool was on an endless merry-go-round until Van Dijk came and we all know how painful that transfer saga got. I know it feels like Man-U have bought a good number of central defenders, but it might just take one really good CB to make it all look like it has fallen into place.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Newcastle boys who is Sean Longstaff and why should United sign him by offering a contract far more than he’s actually worth?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
he's a 21 year old midfielder who most people had never heard of until an injury crisis got him a premier league start and he played really well for 8 matches before getting a season ending injury. Ran more than anyone else in the team in that time and pretty much ran the midfield by himself. he's got 11 newcastle appearances so who knows if he's actually good enough or just hit a lucky patch of form

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Bayern coming after Sane apparently

https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/1131109813335875584

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
man considering his age and pedigree sane is probably one of the ten or so most expensive players on the planet

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

bewbies posted:

man considering his age and pedigree sane is probably one of the ten or so most expensive players on the planet

Apparently he has a lovely attitude and is lazy as gently caress.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

bewbies posted:

Bayern will still somehow but him for 25m

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Dan James dad has died of shock at seeing what United were going to pay him.

RIP

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Photoshoot today, announcement tomorrow. All cancelled now.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

In Bundesliga transfer news, Borussia Bortmund has recruited Nico Schulz from Hoffenheim, Thorgan "mediocre" Hazard from Gladbach, and Julian Brandt from Leverkusen.

Brandt especially is a great haul and went for a low release clause of €25m, while the rest is just there and cost a Brandt each.

Guys, Julian Brandt will be this summers best business.

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
I know and I somehow hoped the rumors that the rumors that that clause was only active if we didn't qualify for CL were true :negative: at least we get to keep Havertz for now. I didn't pay any attention to Hoffenheim this season, is Demirbay any good?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://www.agi.it/sport/calcio_accordo_juve-guardiola_firma_4_giugno-5528607/news/2019-05-23/

quote:

Guardiola and Juve have reached a 4-year, €24M/yr agreement to be signed on June 4th. Guardiola will be officially presented on June 14th.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Saw that doing the rounds on Twitter yesterday, but it all seemed to be coming from one source and most of the UK journos I saw talking about it seemed to think it wasn't true. I read somewhere (possibly on here?) that Juve are paying Ronaldo so much that it's limiting their ability to sign players. I doubt they'd be able to pay Guardiola what he'd be wanting.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

wasn't expecting this. were there rumors about this already? is this a boldable deal?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

advanced statsman posted:

wasn't expecting this. were there rumors about this already? is this a boldable deal?

Not bolding that until its actually confirmed.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
City's board member Alberto Galassi just called the Pep/Juve reports a load of codswallop. So there you have it.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
Why would Guardiola move? He has bottomless funds and a club willing to do what it takes to play the kind of football he loves. The fans love him too. City are like a sensibly run Barcelona at this point.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Brony Car posted:

Why would Guardiola move? He has bottomless funds and a club willing to do what it takes to play the kind of football he loves. The fans love him too. City are like a sensibly run Barcelona at this point.

City aren’t sensibly run, but yeah Guardiola should ride this out as long as he can.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Brony Car posted:

Because he’s a bald fraud, op

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

blue footed boobie posted:

City aren’t sensibly run, but yeah Guardiola should ride this out as long as he can.

From the past he seems to get "bored" at clubs pretty quickly after winning a lot. So he might see a challenge at Juve with their european woes, but then again, he has the same challenge at City so :shrug:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/McCourtGlobal/status/1131568421974478848
Some rumors out that Mou might be the replacement

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
This is just dumb posturing by Dani Alves to get a bigger contract, but after asking questions about where 'd like to play after his contract is up with PSG he mentioned a bunch of leagues and then said this gem:

"The only real attachment I had in life was with my mother when I had an umbilical cord -- even that was cut off. I am a free man and one who thinks that one plus one equals one, not two."

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
rumor mill says Robben to Leicester might be a thing

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
ludovit reis to barcelona (b lol) is a done deal

advanced statsman fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 23, 2019

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

trem_two posted:

https://twitter.com/McCourtGlobal/status/1131568421974478848
Some rumors out that Mou might be the replacement

I mean, it's already by tradition the most dysfunctional team in France, especially since Strasbourg sorted themselves out, so Mourinho makes perfect sense

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

CyberPingu posted:

From the past he seems to get "bored" at clubs pretty quickly after winning a lot. So he might see a challenge at Juve with their european woes, but then again, he has the same challenge at City so :shrug:

He also had that challenge at Bayern and hosed off from there.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I dont know if the prospect of having Ronaldo on one of his teams might tempt him

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

CyberPingu posted:

I dont know if the prospect of having Ronaldo on one of his teams might tempt him

I wonder how much sway Ronaldo has over Juve transfers, and how much he'd like someone who clearly see's Messi as the superior player being his manager.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

pik_d posted:

I wonder how much sway Ronaldo has over Juve transfers, and how much he'd like someone who clearly see's Messi as the superior player being his manager.

Dunno, but hes just been subpoena'd for this rape allegation so...ruh roh

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Arsenal being linked with a £9m move for Lorient forward Alexis Claude-Maurice and he was on Guendouzi's instagram at his London home last night.

Also being linked with striker Danny Loader from Reading and James Rodriguez, good to see they're addressing the main issues in the team :thumbsup:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Arsenal being linked with a £9m move for Lorient forward Alexis Claude-Maurice and he was on Guendouzi's instagram at his London home last night.

Also being linked with striker Danny Loader from Reading and James Rodriguez, good to see they're addressing the main issues in the team :thumbsup:

I don’t think there’s any chance of Arsenal moving for James unless Mesut Ozil vanishes into thin air.

I’m not sure but I guess Arsenal could use a backup striker since Emery doesn’t really seem to think Nketiah is ready for the first team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

blue footed boobie posted:

I don’t think there’s any chance of Arsenal moving for James unless Mesut Ozil vanishes into thin air.

Lol he's made a career out of doing exactly that at Arsenal