Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
THE TITLE CRAWL CAUSE I WASN'T GONNA SPEND 7 BUCKS TO UPLOAD IT TO YOUTUBE SORRY GUYS MAYBE NEXT TIME

If a thing is lost, it can be found. If a person is lost, he must find himself.
-Spintiri proverb

Destiny Points: 3 Light, 3 Dark

It has been a long and arduous hike towards Mount Tellec from Reles, the capital city of Spintir; after the Clone Wars, much of the planet was reclaimed by nature, and few within the cities have had much interest taking it back.

For four hours, the students of Hethan Romund have passed through dense forests and made their way past ruined settlements and the occasional homesteader. While little has come to threaten them, the trail has been exhausting.

However, after those four hours, they find themselves within the snowy mountains of Spintir, and are forced to trudge forward through drifting snow for another hour, before finally reaching the final ascent to the valley Romund had mentioned in her distress signal.

They now stand at the bottom of a steep stone rise clad in snow and ice. It isn't especially tall, but to reach the top will require one to brave the elements and suffer just a little more physical exertion. The path continues upwards in a tight switchback exposed to the howling winds, while to the left, several tall evergreen trees brush against the cliff face, where small trees cling to cracks in the rock.

A more direct croute would be to scramble straight up the rocks and ice to the valley above. In any event, you will have to go up before you will be able to get to Romund.

And welcome to a little tutorial mission before the meat of the game! This is mostly to get you acquainted with the system.

First and foremost are our skill checks, which are a staple of the game. You have quite a few options here; you could brave the elements, which would be Resilience check with one difficulty (more on that in a moment), or you could attempt something more clever, like scaling the cliff and using Athletics, searching for another path with Survival, or rigging up some makeshift climbing gear with Mechanics.

Regardless of what you decide, you will need to go to Orokos.com and use their dice roller, which will automatically parse your successes, failures, and everything else. You will build your dice pool based on your skill and stat; if you had 3 Brawn and 1 in Athletics, you would roll 2 Ability dice and 1 Proficiency die, as well as the 1 Difficulty die. This would parse in Orokos as follows:
2eA+1eP+1eD
Resilience: 2eA+1eP+1eD 1 success, 1 threat

In this case, you would have succeeded, but given me a Threat to work with to maybe make you suffer more strain from your attempt or whatever works narratively.

At the start of the tutorial proper I will give you Destiny Points; these are things you can flip between light and dark to give you bonuses, like boosting an Ability die to a Proficiency die. They are generated by rolling a force die for each member of the party at certain intervals in the game, and will look like this:
Destiny Pool: 5eF 7 Dark Side

The players use light side points, and the GM uses dark. Obviously, I'm not gonna start the newbie mission with 7 dark, so I'm gonna say we have 3 light and 3 dark.

That should about cover the start here, so let's roll some dice and see how bad you gently caress up! Feel free to interject any RP you want to do as well. You have all suffered two strain so far
from the trip, and any roll to climb up will be a simple 1 Difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Shade | Wounds 12/12 Strain 12/12

As it happens, the mountains that Shade have been training in aren't terribly far away. A few days travel, perhaps. This sort of terrain is nothing new to the Gank. Between her ample supplies and warm, protective garment, she seems quite at ease as she darts from sheltered outcropping to sheltered outcropping. The subtle way that snow drifts and snow flurries are shaped by the jagged rock seem as obvious as a cantina rat trying to skip out on a tab.

Shade progresses up the switchbacks, leaving markers along the way to mark out safe paths of travel and help her companions avoid losing their footing to poorly packed snow. She makes excellent time and, by the time she reaches the top, looks positively energized.

Survival: 2eA+1eP+1eD 3 successes, 2 advantage

Spending 2 Adv to recover the missing strain. Apparently, I can also spend excess successes to help people out, given it's a Survival check, so hey. That's cool too. Divvying them out to Old Man and Cold Bird.

pre:
Career: 						Seeker
Specializations:					Ataru Striker

Derived Attributes:
Wounds							12
Strain							12
Defense							0
Soak							3

Attributes:						0/160
Brawn 						 	2
Agility 	 					4 (-70)
Intelligence 	 					2
Cunning 					 	3 (-30)
Willpower					 	2
Presence					 	2

Skills:
Ranged (Heavy)				 		1 (Career)
Survival						1 (Career)
Vigilance						1 (Career)
Lightsaber						1 (Specialization)
Perception						1 (Specialization)
Discipline						1 (Race)
Cool							1 (Race)

Talents:
Quick Draw						1 (-5)
Parry							1 (-5)
Jump Up							1 (-5)
Ataru Technique						1 (-10)

Powers:
Enhance							1 (-10)
-Control (Coordination)					1 (-5)
-Control (Pilot Planetary)				1 (-5)
-Control (Pilot Space)					1 (-5)
-Control (Commit FD: +1 Agility)			1 (-10)

Alignment:
Morality						56
Strength						Bravery
Weakness						Coldness

Gear: 							195/1600
Slugthrower Rifle					 -
	7/5/Medium/5/1/Cumbersome 2
Training Lightsaber					400
	6/-/Engaged/1/5/Stun Damage
Nomad Greatcoat						100
	0/1/1/0/4/Lower Resilience diff for cold by 1, remove setback from cold sources
Mk. III Modular Backpack + 6x Extra Pockets		105
	Encumbrance threshold +8
Wilderness Survival Kit					350
	Everything you'd need to go space camping
6x Stimpack						150
	Heals 5 wounds, less per additional use in a day
Gank Comm Implant					250
	Can communicate silently with other Gank
Comlink (Held)						50
	Can communicate with normal people

Tricky fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 6, 2019

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Just to clarify, regardless of a failure or not, all five of you will end up at the top of this cliff; this is just going to be narrative on how you do it, and whether you eat poo poo trying to climb a tree or not. Keep that in mind, so even if you don't roll any successes and end up failing the first time, you get it automatically on your second.

There is reason for this that will come up later but for now just worry about physical comedy I guess.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Itahn Vakir
W: 11/11
S: 13/14
Post Sheet

Itahn wordlessly follows, making sure to keep to the path Shade marked. He can feel the chill of the snow around his boot with each step, but makes it up the path without much difficulty. Near the end, out of idle curiosity, he takes a step outside the path. His leg immediately sinks into the snow down to the knee. With a short curse, he pulls himself back onto the path and scrambles the rest of the way up, thankful that someone else knew the area better than him.

Survival: following the path: 2eA+1eD 0 successes, 1 advantage

Adding one of Shade's successes, using the advantage to recover a strain.

pre:
Background:
The Outsider
The Duty to Tradition
Desire for Understanding

Morality: 51
Strength: Curiosity
Weakness: Obsession

Species: Miraluka

Career: Mystic
Specialization: Makashi Duelist

Characteristics:
Brawn: 2
Agility: 2
Intellect: 2
Cunning: 2
Willpower: 3
Presence: 4

Skills:
Charm 1
Cool 1
Discipline 1
Vigilance 1
Lightsaber 2
Outer rim 1

Talents:
Resist Disarm
Parry
Makashi Technique

Force Powers:
Sense
-Control: sense thoughts
-Range
-Control: upgrade difficulty 
Force Rating: 1

Wounds: 11
Strain: 14
Defense: 0/0
Soak: 3

Motivation: Challenge – Meaning

Gear:
Training Lightsaber
Heavy Clothing
Comlink (handheld)
Stimpack

Credits: 21
XP: 155/155

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 12, 2020

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Ozyn Killik | Wounds: 13/13 Strain: 11/13

Ozyn watches Shade expertly climbing the mountainside, marking the path for the rest of them as she goes. It certainly looked impressive, but he wasn't going to lean on a total stranger for help out in the wilderness. Ultimately, you lived and died on your own merits. Besides, she'd have her hands full helping the less physically fit ones up the path.

So, fueled by an independent spirit and perhaps a bit of petulant pride, Ozyn makes his own way up the mountain. His path certainly isn't easier than the one Shade is marking, but he trudges through snow drifts and cutting wind without complaints. His core temperature doesn't budge. His clothing was meant for protection first and style second, but it was insulated enough. More importantly, this was what Devaronians were made for. It'd take more than a little cold and hiking to tire him out.

Resilience: 1eP+1eA+1eD 2 successes (+1 from Resilient Metabolism)

quote:

Name: Ozyn Killik
Race: Devaronian
Motivation: Ambition (Survival)

Morality: 50
Emotional Strength: Independence
Emotional Weakness: Coldness

Career: Sentinel
Specializations: Shien Expert

Characteristics:
Brawn: 2 Cunning: 4
Agility: 2 Willpower: 3
Intellect: 2 Presence: 2

Wound Threshold: 13
Strain Threshold: 13
Defence: 0 R, 0 M
Soak: 4 (2 +2 Armor)

Career Skills:
Athletics
Computers
Core Worlds
Deception 1
Lightsaber 1
Perception 1
Resilience 1
Skulduggery 1
Stealth 1

Talents:

Resilient Metabolism (Racial): Devaronians add 1 Success to all Resilience Checks
Street Smarts: -1 Setback on all Streetwise and Knowledge (Underworld) Checks

Force Powers:
None

Gear: (1480/1500 Spent)
Training Lightsaber (400)
Light Blaster Pistol (300)
Padded Armor (500)
Backpack (50)
Sulfur Inhaler (10 Doses) (120)
Comlink (handheld) (25)
Glowstick (10)
Stimpacks x2 (50)
Binders (25)
33 (20+13) Credits

XP Spent [95/100]:
Cunning 4 (40)
Willpower 3 (30)
Presence 2 (20)
Street Smarts (5)

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Reylon, Wandering Sathari
Wounds: 0/10, Strain: 2/12

Reylon had spent some time away from home, among the aliens in their space ships and their space stations and their starports. But he grew up on Arbooine, a lush temperate planet covered in forests. The Sathari built their homes by hollowing out the giant trees of the world. It would rain of course, and sometimes there'd be a nice breeze, but snow wasn't something Reylon was used to. He wasn't really sure what to expect when he was told they'd be climbing a mountain covered in snow.

It turns out he hates snow, who'd have guessed?

"Why would anyone choose to live anywhere this cold?! How can the rest of you move so fast? Don't leave me behind! Does anyone have an extra blanket or three I can borrow?"

Survival: Climb the snowy mountain: 2eA+1eD 0 successes, 1 advantage

Going to use the advantage to gain a boost die to any further survival checks, just in case.

pre:
Name:Reylon
Race: Sathari
Motivation: Cause [Freedom]

Morality:
Emotional Strength: Pride
Emotional Weakness: Obstinance

Career: Mystic
Specializations: Seer, Makashi Duelist

Characteristics:
Brawn:     2      Cunning:   2
Agility:   3      Willpower: 3
Intellect: 2      Presence:  3

Wound Threshold: 10
Strain Threshold: 12
Defence: 0 R, 0 M
Soak: 3

Career Skills:
Charm 1
Coercion
Cool
Coordination 1
Discipline 1
Knowledge (Lore) 1
Knowledge (Outer Rim)
Lightsaber 1
Perception 1
Survival
Vigilance 2

Non-Career Skills:

Talents:
Makashi Technique [Makashi Duelist] (page 82 FaD core)
Parry [Makashi Duelist] (page 82 FaD core)
Resist Disarm [Makashi Duelist] (page 82 FaD core)
Uncanny Reactions 1 [Seer] (page 83 FaD core)

Force Powers:
Seek (basic, page 302 FaD core)
-Control: Commit a force die to upgrade Vigilance and Perception checks once.

Gear:
Light Blaster Pistol
Heavy Clothing
Backpack
Comlink (handheld)
Datapad
32 Credits

XP Spent [135/155]:
Presence 3 [30 xp]
Brawn 2 [20 xp]
Willpower 3 [30 xp]
Seek force power [10]
Makashi Duelist [20]
Seek - Control upgrade [10]
Perception 1 [5]
Seer - Uncanny Reactions [5]
Makashi Duelist - Resist Disarm [5]
Makashi Duelist - Makashi Technique [10]
Makashi Duelist - Parry [5]
Lightsaber 1 [5]

Astus fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 6, 2019

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Rex Tol
Wounds: 0/16, Strain: 2/12

When the group reaches the cliff face, his traveling companions all decide to take the safer routes, but slow and steady was never Rex's style.

"I'll go on ahead and make sure it's safe at the top, don't worry about me, I'll be fine." he says, with what would be a terrifyingly toothy grin if it wasn't for the immature declaration beforehand.

Rex pulls out his climbing gear from his backpack and gets himself set up before doing a few stretches. Taking a couple deep breaths, he begins ascending the cliff face at breakneck speed, his claws acting as natural pitons as he digs them in to the cliff face, climbing the rocks an ice as easy as one would climb a ladder. When he reaches the top he peers down at the group and gives a thumbs up before turning away from the cliff face and nearly passing out from a lack of air. Turns out climbing a cliff at that pace and this altitude might not have been the best idea after all.

Climbing the Cliff (Athletics): 3eA+1eP+1eB+1eD 6 successes, 1 threat

code:
Species:						Trandoshan
Career: 						Warrior
Specialization(s):					Steel Hand Adept

Derived Attributes:
Wounds							16 
Strain							12
Defense							0
Soak							6 (4 Brawn, 2 Armor)

Attributes:						
Brawn							4
Agility							2
Intellect						2
Cunning							2
Willpower						3 
Presence						2

Force Rating						1

Skills:
Athletics						1 (Career)
Coordination						1 (Specialization)
Perception						2 (Species, Career)
Brawl							2 (Career, Specialization)

Species Abilities:
-Regeneration
-Claws

Motivation:						Ambition (Enlightenment)
Morality						50
Strength						Bravery
Weakness						Anger

Gear: 						35/3000
-Shield Gauntlet (1500)
-Padded Armor (500)
-4x Stimpack (100)
-Mk. III Modular Backpack (75)
-Mk. III Modular Backpack Extra Pouch x6 (90)
-Wilderness Survival Kit (350)
-Climbing Gear (50)
-Comlink (long range) (200)
-Hand Scanner (100)
-58 Credits Pocket Money

Experience Spent (90/90)
-Brawn 4 (40)
-Agility 2 (20)
-Willpower 3 (30)

Reik fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 17, 2019

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Destiny Points: 3 Light, 3 Black

With Shade leading Reylon and Itahn, the three are able to follow the switchback with ease, while Ozyn finds his own trail and Rex takes the steep climb head on; he is the first to the top, and as he turns to look back to the others, he is able to take in the view that seems to go on for miles.

Now high up in the slopes, a tapestry of icy peaks, snow-clad forests, and rolling hills is spread out before him. The Trandoshan feels a small sense of serenity from the view, which is interrupted after a moment by a sudden hiss of static and a flickering light behind him, accompanied by a gentle male voice saying, "Hello."

Turning around, Rex is confronted by the ghostly form of an older Cerean male dressed in simple robes; the man seems to be comprised entirely of a shimmering blue light, and his weathered face is friendly and calm.

"I apologize for startling you, young one. I am the Gatekeeper. Welcome to my valley." He turns slightly as Ozyn arrives, giving him the same warm smile.

Shade and her two followers are the last to appear; the Gank doesn't notice the Gatekeeper at first, instead focused on the trip up Mount Tellec before them. A densely wooded valley stands between the summit and where they are now, and it has to be at least an hour of hard going yet.

"You all handled that climb quite admirably; you may well be useful! But first, I must know: what is your purpose here?"

Now is the roleplaying part of the tutorial. ASK THE CONEHEAD YOUR QUESTIONS AND CONVINCE HIM TO HELP

Also, I will use that single threat to give Rex another strain.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Ozyn Killik | Wounds: 13/13 Strain: 11/13

Ozyn stares blankly at the spirit, glances down at his sulfur inhaler suspiciously, then shrugs to himself. He hadn't used any of this one yet, so a hallucination from contamination wasn't an option. Plus, Rex looked like he saw it too. Was this another Force thing? Did sensitivity to the mystical power of the universe cause you to get accosted by the ethereal elderly? He had no idea and he hated the feeling. He'd spent his whole life feeling like he held all the winning cards. Now he was flailing blindly in the dark. When he speaks, he tries to sound confident, but the nervous edge in his tone is unmistakable.

"Well, I wasn't expecting to meet anyone up here, let alone... whatever you are. No offense, I just don't meet a lot of people I can literally see through. We were looking for someone named Romund. We're, uh, mutual acquaintances of hers. We got a message from her telling us to come up here. You know anything about that?"

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Rex Tol
Wounds: 0/16, Strain: 3/12

Rex is startled by the voice behind him and spins around entering a fighting stance. How could someone have gotten so close behind him without him hearing or smelling him first? The shimmering blue figure before him provides the answer, and Rex relaxes.

"Greetings, The Gatekeeper, I am Rex Tol. As my companion said, we are here in search of a friend, Hethan Romund, we believe she may be in danger. Speaking of danger though, are...are you okay?"

Rex reaches a finger out towards the Cerean to see if he really is incorporeal.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Destiny Points: 3 Light, 3 Black

The Gatekeeper chuckles as he reaches his hand out to Rex's, his outline shimmering as the Trandoshan's hand passes through it. "I am a ghost, of sorts." He tucks his hands back into the sleeves of his robes and his face turns stern. "I do know of your mentor. A servant of the dark side of the Force has taken her, and my temple, and I wish this villain removed, before his corruption of this sacred valley turns permanent. I will warn you, you are not alone in this valley; thanks to Malefax's influence, they have become quite hostile. I will gladly aide those who are worthy in their quest to free my valley."

He glances the gathered padawans over and frowns. "The question remains, however, is whether or not you are worthy.."

And now we go into OPPOSED CHECKS.

With opposed checks, you are rolling your Stat/Skill directly against the other person's stat/skill. For each Ability die they have, you will have to roll a Difficulty die, and for each Proficiency die, you will have to roll a Challenge die.

How you convince the Gatekeeper you are worthy or that he should help you is up to you, and will determine exactly what you are rolling against. You could try to Charm or Deceive him, or impress him with your knowledge or devotion to your mentor.

This would be a good point to use your Destiny to upgrade your checks!

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

It takes a few moments before Shade begins to speak. Her tones are halting and slightly monotone, giving the impression that she rarely uses words... or, at least, spoken ones. She says, "I have... studied the Jedi code. Some." She gestures to the band of, generally speaking, bedraggled and uncomfortable looking people at her side. "We do not know each other well. We came together for one reason: to help her. Isn't compassion what the Jedi preach? Help us save a life."

Figuring this is some sort of Knowledge-y thing, since the others were collaborating on a Charm approach. Flipping a destiny to upgrade a die.

Knowledge: 1eA+1eP+1eB+2eC+1eD 1 failure, 1 advantage

Figuring this gets him in a good mood, so spending that Adv on giving the next test a boost.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 18, 2019

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Itahn Vakir
W: 0/11
S: 1/14
Post Sheet

Itahn shakes his head slightly. Then he speaks, facing the valley the entire time. "I don't know what it means to be worthy anymore. I don't know how to prove it if I did. I just know we need to reach the temple and we need to find Romund. We're going to keep going whether we're worthy or not because we're the only hope she has." He glances at his companions, hoping they're making a show of looking determined, then turns to the Gatekeeper. "Don't help us. Help her. She's more worthy than any of us."

Getting a boost from Shade's advantage

Charm: talk to ghost: 1eP+3eA+1eB+1eC+1eD+1eS 2 successes

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 18, 2019

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Destiny Pool: 2 Light, 4 Dark

Shade's attempt to bring the Jedi code and how the Jedi should act into play brings a smile to the Gatekeeper's face, and he tilts his head back in thought for a moment. He finally clicks his tongue and meets her eye once more. "Serenity, young one, not passion. You care much for your teacher, and I can see that. But to care so much brings fear; fear that she will die, fear that she will fall, fear that you will not be enough. Do not fear. Do not let passion hook its finger in to your nose to drag you along. There is no death, there is the Force.. All things die, but the Force lives on. Dwell on that." He pauses, about to turn his attention to Itahn, before giving Shade a warm smile. "And thank you. It has been so long since I've been able to teach."

He then turns to Itahn, his face softening. "You speak almost as a true padawan. I admire your tenacity, but even if you are not convinced of it, I am convinced of your worth." He unfolds his arms and holds them wide in a welcoming gesture. "Ask me your questions, and I will tell you all I can."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Shade looks out towards the valley, "You mentioned hostiles? What sort of threats are there?"

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Itahn Vakir
Post Sheet

Itahn lets out a breath he didn't realize he was holding, the mist swirling in front of his face. "I have so many questions. But I should start with what we need now. Who is Malefax? What does he want with this place and what does he want with Romund? How can we best reach them?"

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 18, 2019

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Rex Tol

Rex peers over the shoulder of the Jedi before asking "So, why do they call you The Gatekeeper? I don't see much of a gate around here."

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

It was frustrating being told to wait, but it was also the exact same thing Romund would have said if she were here. Still, Reylon tried to focus on his guiding instincts, hoping to figure out at least what direction she was from them...

Seek out Hethan Romund: 1eF 1 Dark Side

Not enough force points to actually seek her out, and I don't want to lean on dark side points right out the gate anyways.

...but he was too unsteady, and couldn't concentrate. Right, of course, just like Romund's lessons. Calm down, and don't refuse help just because you think you can do it on your own. He definitely could do this on his own, of course, but that'd take time.

"Where is Romund, and how much time do we have? Not that I'm trying to rush you, of course! I get that just reaching our teacher isn't the same as saving her. I know that, it's just...it'd be nice to remove some of the uncertainty we've been feeling?"

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Destiny Pool: 2 Light, 4 Dark

For a moment, the Gatekeeper looks at Rex with some curiosity, before answering his question. "We are a ways from the temple, young one, but the title makes more sense there." He turns to Itahn and Reylon, his face grim. "Romund is still alive, but Malefax is attempting to force her to reveal the secrets of my temple. A vain attempt, as she does not know them. Malefax has been completely ensnared by the dark side, and utterly focused on increasing his own power. He will underestimate you, and particularly he will underestimate your ability to work as a team."

He gestures behind him as he responds to Shade. "With the temple out of balance, and the dark side creeping in, the locals have become incredibly hostile; I will not prevent them from being able to attack you, but I can aide you against them. There will also be various environmental hazards, but seeing as how you braved the climb up here, I have no doubt in my mind you will be able to handle it."

The Gatekeeper motions towards the forest. "A group of hunters now approaches us, their minds clouded by the dark side. Even if you evade them now, they will continue to hunt you, and
they will find you. I will lead them into a ruin not far from the lake. You can conceal yourselves and strike from ambush. I would take it as a kindness if you would leave at least some of them alive. Go quickly now, we have only moments."
With that, the form of the Gatekeeper dissipates.

With the Gatekeeper's guidance, the group presses on through the snowy trees and across an ancient stone bridge, before coming to the ruin that he mentioned; in the moment, it is difficult to tell what it was once used for, but it offers slabs of stone to conceal your presence. Moments after everyone has taken up a hiding space, the first of the fur clad hunters busts from the tree-line, his face daubed with blood and an old-style slugthrower rifle in his hands. He stalks towards the center of the ruin, looking back and forth frantically for whatever it was he was chasing, and five other hunters emerge from the forest behind him.

And now for combat! Typically, you would roll either Cool or Vigilance for initiative, but since this is a tutorial, it has the initiative slots pre-determined based on if the Gatekeeper was convinced to help you or not. Initiative in this game works a bit different from other games; you have open slots that you can claim, and while the slots stay the same, who claims them can change from round to round.

Currently, we have the following initiative slots:

1. PC
2. PC
3. PC
4. 2 NPCs
5. PC
6. PC
7. 3 NPCs

You are all currently within SHORT range of the hunters, so any ranged attacks will be at a single difficulty die. If you move into melee with a maneuver, it will be two difficulty dice, since that's standard. You all currently benefit from the Cover maneuver, which gives the hunters a Setback die to attack you. You get one Action and one Maneuver per turn, and moving into engaged range would count as using your maneuver; you can spend 2 strain to get a second maneuver if you like, though. An action can be used to attack, use a skill, or use the Force.

A list of maneuvers can be found in this cheat sheet, which is also pinned in the discord. It will also list what you can do with advantage; if you have something you want to do with advantage that isn't listed that you think would narratively make sense, just ask! It can also be used to inflict critical hits if you have enough based on what the crit threshold of your weapon is.

I think that about covers combat, so let me know which slot you're taking so long as it's before slot 4; if you wanna wait until after the first three PCs act, I'll post as the NPCs after we get the first three slots done.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

As the hunters approach the group's ambush, Shade prepares to explode into action. This sort of setup was where she felt most comfortable — it was like she was hunting with her pack once more. A quick assessment of the threats — assorted slugthrowers, a slight numbers disadvantage — makes it quite evident that a sudden assault will prove the best strategy. Tying up their guns with the threat of melee, as well as letting the others capitalize on any openings that appear.

Quietly, over the commlink, Shade says, "On my signal..."

Exploding out from her hiding spot atop one of the toppled slabs, the Gank huntress ignites her training saber with the distinctive snap-hiss long associated with the Jedi and leaps into the midst of the mass of enemies. She strikes at the leader with the telltale acrobatics and sweeping blows of the Ataru style, but she doesn't land any solid hits... though the hunters are certainly scattered and unprepared for what follows.

Maneuvering to Engaged with the group, then spending 2 strain to Aim and attack the leader.

(Aimed) Training Saber to the face!: 3eA+1eP+1eB+2eD 0 successes, 5 advantage

Welp. Spending 2 adv to get that strain back, then 3 to generate 3 boost for the next player.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Destiny Pool: 3 Dark, 3 Light

I am flipping a destiny point so that the next person has 1 Difficulty and 1 Challenge die, to reflect the hunter's training of being able to respond to a single wild animal leaping out at them.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Ozyn Killik | Wounds: 0/13 Strain: 6/13

As the hunters approach, Ozyn pulls his sulfur inhaler off his belt, seats the mouthpiece firmly, and pulls the trigger. To a Devaronian, this foul-smelling element was as good as any stimulant, and not nearly as addictive. His pupils dilate and his body fills with an incredible rush of energy. He'd have a headache afterwards, but when you were in trouble, there was nothing better than a hit of sulfur.

As soon as Shade jumps in, Ozyn follows, his own saber hissing to life. Shade can't land any solid hits, but her flurry of motion is a perfect distraction. Ozyn steps into a gap and swings his weapon directly into one of the hunter's exposed stomachs. It wasn't a particularly dignified way to wield the weapon, but then again, no one had ever taught him you didn't need to treat it like a club.

Maneuver to use one of my Sulfur Inhalers, giving me +1 Boost on all Brawn and Agility checks for the rest of combat at the cost of 2 Strain. Then taking 2 more Strain to maneuver into melee and attacking with my training lightsaber.

Lightsaber Attack: 1eA+1eP+4eB+1eC+1eD 4 successes

So that's a hit for 10 Stun Damage before Soak, I think.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Rex Tol
Melee Defense:0, Ranged Defense: 2

Not wanting to be left behind and miss out on the fun, Rex leaps over the slab he was taking cover behind and charges one of the hunters. Instead of the hiss of a lightsaber, two oval fields of blue energy light up over Rex's forearms and claws as he lifts his arms in front of his face, guarding himself from incoming fire. The hunter he is charging goes to level his rifle at Rex, but can't make it in time. Rex grabs the rifle with his left hand and wrenches it forward, pulling the hunter off balance and right in to the path of an uppercut from Rex's right. The force of the blow lifts the hunter off his feet and the lights go out as he falls to the ground.

Maneuver to engage hunter, action to make Brawl attack with Shield Gauntlets.

Brawl check vs Hunter: 2eA+2eP+2eD 3 successes, 1 threat

4 Brawn + 1 Shield Gauntlets + 1 Claws + 3 Successes - 3 Soak = 6 Stun Damage

Reik fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 21, 2019

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Destiny Pool: 4 Light, 2 Dark

The lead hunter raises his slugthrower defensively to ward off Shade's blows, and two of his cohorts turn to assist him, leaving themselves open to Ozyn and Rex. The hunter struck by the Devaronian lets out a universal "oof" as the wind is knocked out of him by the force of the training saber's blow, and the one who Rex ambushed is lifted a foot off of the ground before collapsing unceremoniously in a heap.

One of the nearby hunters turns their attention to Rex, raising the slug rifle and taking a moment to line up his shot before pulling the trigger. There is a loud report and a puff of acrid blue smoke, and Rex reels as the slug strikes him square in the ribs. The hunter raises his slugthrower and hoots in celebration, before realizing that the slug did absolutely nothing to the massive lizardman besides annoy him. The hunter's face turns to one of fear as he quickly tries to reload his rifle. Rex, however, can feel that the padding in his armor has at the very least been dispersed enough on that side that he doesn't feel it'll help much against another shot; a quick pat down should fix it.

As this occurs, a second hunter lets out a war cry as he raises his rifle to fire at the Devaronian. He watches Ozyn for a moment before firing, catching him off guard as he glances away to check his flank. The bullet strikes Ozyn in the shoulder and punches clean through, missing bone and vital muscle, resulting in little more than a dramatic flesh wound. The sight of blood, however, drives the hunter on, and he trills merrily as he kneels down to reload his rifle.

Flipped a destiny point to ret con Hunter 1's position to Medium range; he shoots Rex with a Damage 4 rifle and gets one success and three advantage, but Rex's soak of 6 says 'lol nope' to the damage. Spending the advantage to disable Rex's 2 defense until his next turn, which mostly amounts to not needing two setback die when I hit him.

Hunter 2 shoots Ozyn, and deals 3 damage after soak.

INITIATIVE
1. Shade
2. Ozyn
3. Rex
4. Hunter 1, Hunter 2
5. Itahn

6. Reylon
7. Hunter Leader, Hunter 3

Hunter 1 attacking Rex: 1eP+2eA+2eS+1eB+2eD 1 success, 3 advantage

Hunter 2 attacking Ozyn: 1eP+2eA+1eB+1eD 3 successes

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 23, 2019

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Itahn Vakir
S: 3/14
Post Sheet

From his hiding place at the entrance to the ruin, Itahn briefly wonders what the signal is supposed to be. The ignition of a lightsaber on the other side of the ruin quickly clears that up.

As part of the group charges, Itahn steps out from behind the rubble, placing himself between the hunters and the trees. He walks at a steady pace toward the hunter in the back, igniting his own training lightsaber. Distracted by the attacks from the opposite direction, the hunter doesn't notice his approach. He turns around to see a beam of light swinging at his neck. Just in time, he throws himself backwards, knocking his back into one of his compatriots.

Itahn draws back his lightsaber with a flourish, inclining his head briefly. Your move.

Moving, aiming, and attacking, using 2 strain to add a maneuver.

Lightsaber: attacking a hunter: 1eP+3eA+1eB+2eD 0 successes, 3 advantage

2 advantage to give a setback to the hunter, 1 to give a boost to Reylon.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

As all the others rush in with their sabers (or fists, in Rex's case), Reylon pulled out a blaster. Yes, that's not really a weapon associated with Jedis or wisdom, but it had a stun setting! The ghost from earlier told them to try not to kill the hunters, after all.

Unfortunately, even with the hunters distracted by Itahn's flourish, Reylon's shot just barely misses its mark. Probably scared the hunter quite a bit though, they didn't seem to be expecting to be shot at after all the others charged into melee. As the Sathari returned to his cover, he shouts out "Any chance we could all just stop shooting each other? You can't even hurt our giant lizard, what's the point in this?"

Shoot to Stun hunter 3: 3eA+1eB+1eD 0 successes, 5 advantage

Using two advantages to add a setback die to hunter 3's next check, and the remaining three to increase my ranged defense by +1 until the end of my next turn.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Itahn's taunting gesture infuriates the hunter he has attacked; he brings his slugthrower around without even bothering to aim, and just as he is about to pull the trigger, Reylon's blaster bolt hisses over his shoulder, and the hunter reflexively tries to dive to one side. The end result is a slug that goes wide, missing the Miralukan by a country mile.

Meanwhile, the leader of the hunters takes careful aim on the Trandoshan, assessing where the giant lizardman's weakpoints might be. With a grunt, he fires straight for the side of Rex's head, striking him right above the ear. Mercifully, the Trandoshan's hide is incredibly thick, and the slug does little more than irritate and momentarily disorient him. The hunter growls and literally barks at the other hunters, gesturing wildly towards Rex. It's apparent the leader is convinced that the Trandoshan is most definitely the 'Big Game' in this fight.

Due to all the setbacks I just had Hunter 3 fire with no maneuvers. He missed.

The Hunter Leader fired on Rex and didn't do enough damage to bypass soak. His advantage is being used to inflict a Setback. That brings us back to the top of the round!

Note: I rolled two setbacks for the Hunter Leader after I had thought I had forgotten Rex's defense, but then I remembered I used advantage to negate that, so whoops. That is in the roll history and honestly the end result would have been the same.

Hunter 3 Firing on Itahn: 1eP+2eA+2eD+2eS 1 failure

Hunter Leader firing on Rex: 1eP+2eA+1eD+1eB 2 successes, 2 advantage

INITIATIVE
1. PC
2. PC
3. PC
4. NPC
5. NPC
6. PC
7. PC
8. NPC
9. NPC

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

With a furious pair of overhand swipes, Shade all but forces the leader of the hunters to the ground. In a hissing, artificial roar, she calls out, "Rex! Now!"

Flipping a Destiny to upgrade my pool and aiming... for what good it did.

Aimed Lightsaber (+Destiny): 2eA+2eP+1eB+2eD 0 successes, 5 advantage

Hey Rex, want 5 Boost dice?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Rex Tol

Rex hears his allies shout and turns to see that her pressed attack has the hunter leader in a vulnerable position. He leaps from the unconscious hunter in front of him and charges the leader, clasping his hands together over his head and bringing them down in a single strong blow across the jaw of the leader, sending him spinning towards the ground in a heap. Rex then turns to the remaining hunters and lets out a bellowing roar.

Flip a destiny point to upgrade the check.
4 Brawn + 1 Claws + 1 Shield Gauntlet + 4 Successes - 3 soak = 7 damage
Pass on 3 Boosts with Advantages

Brawl Attak against Hunter Leader: 1eA+3eP+5eB+2eD 4 successes, 3 advantage

Reik fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 27, 2019

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Ozyn Killik | Wounds: 3/13 Strain: 4/13

Ozyn hisses in pain and surprise, glancing down at his wounded shoulder for a second even as he charges the next hunter. Pain and distraction make him telegraph his clumsy swing even more than usual, and the hunter steps aside. The sidestep doesn't save him from a quick follow-up shin kick and an insulting line about his mother. In spite of the pain, Ozyn is laughing now. He hadn't felt this good in a while; there wasn't much adrenaline in gambling, not for him. He wasn't the type to pick fights without a drat good reason, but why not enjoy them once they started?

Lightsaber Aim+Attack: 1eP+1eA+5eB+2eD 1 failure, 5 advantage

Passing 3 Boosts to the next player and recovering 2 Strain.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Destiny Pool: 5 Light, 1 Dark

Watching their leader crumple after a vicious hammerhanded blow to the chin seems to excite the remaining hunters more than terrify them; if either can bring down Rex, it's likely they'll be made the new leader of the pack. The first hunter finishes chambering a new slug and fires straight into Rex's back; while the shot, again, does nothing to his tough hide, it does throw the Trandoshan momentarily off balance. Before the hunter can even hoot in joy to have landed a hit that seems to have thrown the beast for a loop, his cohort shoves him aside to take aim.

Maybe it's how Rex has contorted his body, maybe the hunter has exceptional judgment and aim, or, most likely, maybe he just gets really lucky. This time, the slug finds its way in the faintest of chinks in the Trandoshan brawler's hide, taking a nice chunk out of scaly/leathery hide. The blow is ultimately superficial, digging a furrow in Rex's bicep, but the sight of blood and the fact that he can bleed sends the remaining three hunters into a frenzy.

Flipping Destiny points for both dudes, and both use their maneuver to aim. Hunter 1 does no damage, but his advantage will strip Rex's defense again...

.. allowing Hunter 2 to actually bypass Rex's soak for once. Rex takes 2 damage after soak.

Hunter 1 Shooting Rex: 2eP+1eA+1eD+1eB 1 success, 3 advantage

whoops forgot the setbacks for defense AGAIN IM SMART

Hunter 1 Setbacks for Rex's Defense: 2eS 1 failure

Hunter 2 Shooting Rex: 2eP+1eA+1eD+1eB 4 successes

INITIATIVE
1. Shade
2. Rex
3. Ozyn
4. Hunter 1
5. Hunter 2
6. PC <- +3 Boost die
7. PC
8. Hunter 3

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Itahn Vakir
S: 3/14
Post Sheet

Itahn tilts his head in surprise at the hunter suddenly turning around to attack Rex. Surprised and slightly offended that his opponent would disrespect him in such a way, he contemptuously knocks the hunter on the back of the head with the training lightsaber and shoves him over while he stands winded. The unconscious body falls at the feet of one of the remaining hunters, standing in the open in the middle of the ruins.

Using a destiny point and aiming.

Lightsaber: attacking the same hunter: 2eP+2eA+4eB+2eD 3 successes, 2 advantage, 1 Triumph

Dealing 9 stun damage before soak. Using the triumph to upgrade Reylon's dice and the advantages to give him two boosts.

cuntman.net fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 27, 2019

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

With a swing of his saber, the fifth hunter falls into an undignified heap on the ground. The final hunter, quickly assessing the situation, takes a potshot at Rex before sprinting off into the woods, whooping and shrieking. The Gatekeeper's voice fills the minds of the padawans: "Go! Catch him before he alerts more of his kind!"

Urged on by the Gatekeeper's words*, the group takes chase after the hunter, who pauses occasionally to fire wild shots in the general direction of his pursuers. The chase is short, however, as suddenly each and every one of Romund's students suddenly plummet into deep pit traps concealed by the snow, with a merciful amount of snow at the bottom to cushion your fall. The hunter slinks back to Rex's pit and hoots at him in derision before slipping away.

The stone pits are ten feet deep and obviously dug by intelligent hands. There seems to be no obvious way out, though the ropes that had been laid across each hole dangle high out of reach. Once again, the Gatekeeper manifests on the grounds above, and paces between each hole, speaking to each trapped student in no particular order.

"Don't bother to climb out, young ones. The walls are covered in ice, and it is just above freezing; they will be slick with icemelt and you will find no purchase. No, I'm afraid you will need to rely upon the Force to have any hope of success here." He smiles wanly down into the pits. "Which will be quite an interesting test, from my perspective."

He lingers at the edge of Rex's pit, peering down at him curiously. It looks like at least the Gatekeeper will stick around to offer his wisdom.

So here is the part that I find incredibly stupid and contrived but I guess it works for an rear end in a top hat Jedi Master. You have all fallen into pits that you can't just climb out with your climbing gear of FOR REASONS because I'm assuming the Gatekeeper is just going to shove you back down if you do and cackle like Yoda.

To escape, you will need to use a Force power, which is fairly simple. You select your Force power, roll a Force die, and see if you generated enough Force points to activate the power; you may use both Light and Dark side points to meet the requirements, but using Dark side points will cause you to suffer strain and will lead to conflict later on. Typically, you would also need to use a Destiny point to use Dark side points, but for the purposes of the tutorial, that isn't going to be necessary. The Gatekeeper can offer suggestions on what powers to use, but go ahead and be creative.

Essentially you all have time enough for two attempts before something even dumber happens. If someone is able to get out, they can simply lower the ropes for everyone else; if you didn't buy a force power then I guess this is going to be extra dumb all the way through.

* and because this is a canned, railroad-y tutorial

John Dyne fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 27, 2019

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Wounds: 0/10, Strain: 3/12

As the others were probably desperately looking for a way out, a cheerful Sathari checks on them from above.

"Those hunters were really rude, huh? When did they even dig these pits out? Anyways, I fell into a pit as well, but then that guiding instinct kicked in again, so I followed it and now I'm here! Don't think about it too hard. Anyways, you guys need some help, or do you think you can saber or punch your way out of there?"

Yes, feeling smug about being the first to get out of the pits was petty and unjedi-like, but this was too funny to not poke fun of the others.

Seek a way out of the pit trap: 1eF 1 Dark Side

So this is probably the reason the adventure did something this dumb: the writers wanted to give the players some conflict, but couldn't come up with a better way than "make them roll their one force die and accept whatever result they get".
Going up to 3 strain so I can use the dark side point to see through an illusion, sorry to disappoint the ghost guy but we are not sticking around in these pits.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Reylon reaches out with the Force, attempting to find a way out of the pit that, as it turns out, is NOT an illusion. What he discovers is the movement of small life forms behind the sheet of ice, a group of Spintiri snow mice that seem to be running up and down a sloped passageway leading back up to the surface. A strike from the butt of his blaster pistols reveals the passage, and he is able to clamber his way up to the top, shake the snow out of his feathers, and toss down the ropes to the rest of his compatriots.

The Gatekeeper nods approvingly, but Reylon can hear his voice in his mind. "Do not draw too strongly upon the dark side of the force, young one; with it power can come easily, but at a great cost. Remember to remain dispassionate, and you will walk within the Light."

And here the tutorial drops 10 XP in your lap for whatever you want. Because this encounter is dumb and because poor CUNTMAN got a Triumph he couldn't really use, I'll throw in an extra 5 XP to give you a little more breathing room.

Once we're done with the XP, you can try to decide how to continue. You can head straight to the temple, or there's more for the valley to offer, if you want to explore.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Wounds: 0/10, Strain: 3/12

Force Die Committed to Seek

Only slightly less smug after the admonishment from the Gatekeeper, Reylon helps the others out of their pits before starting to walk towards the temple. "Come on, Romund doesn't have all day! You guys should stick close to me and follow my lead. Wouldn't want to fall into another pit trap, right?" For some reason, his guiding instinct felt stronger than usual, which only made Reylon even more self-assured. Not that he was arrogant, of course! The others were clearly better at fighting after all, and he'd need their extra blankets if they were going to trudge through more snow.

Used my 15 xp to buy a rank in Perception and the Control upgrade for Seek, which I am using immediately. For as long as I commit my force die, all of my Perception and Vigilance checks get upgraded once. So I'll roll two proficiency dice for Perception and three proficiency dice for Vigilance, in case either comes up.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

By the time Reylon has escaped his pit and been moralized at by a spooky space ghost, Shade has extracted a set of climbing gear from her backpack and is about half-way up the sheer ice walls herself. She looks blankly at the bird, or at least the usual level of blank that comes with a full helmet, then grabs onto the rope and uses it to ease the rest of her passage up and out. She says, "Unnecessary, but thank you."

Shade found the whole experience to have awoken something in her — or perhaps her eyes had simply opened to a deeper truth? Whatever the case, she could finally feel the currents of the Force flowing through her. She had no doubt that were she forced to repeat that climb, it'd take no time at all. It didn't seem the opportune moment to test her newfound insights, so instead she simply chambers a new round in the rifle she'd taken from one of the hunters Rex had attempted to break in half and follows the birdman.

Taking Enhance and the Control that adds Coordination with my 15 xp. Also taking a rifle from our fallen foes to round out my combat options

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Rex Tol

After being rescued from the pit, Rex spends a few minutes meditating in order to re-center himself after the battle. When he finishes, he nods toward Reylon "I agree, if what the Gatekeeper said is true, who knows what atrocities that Sith is inflicting on her. We should make haste."

Spending the 15xp to purchase Enhance force power and one rank in Iron Body

Simple Discipline to Recover Strain: 3eA 2 successes, 2 advantage

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Ozyn Killik | Wounds: 3/13 Strain: 4/13

Ozyn clambers over the edge of the pit with some difficulty. Now that the adrenaline and sulfur were out of his system, his head and shoulder were competing to see which one could throb more. Still, he actually felt pretty good. Peaceful, uplifted, like something was helping him move and massaging the aches away. If this was the Force, he could get used to it. And he hadn't wasted the time he'd spent stuck down there, either. He'd spent a few minutes thinking about the fight and what he could improve. He'd never even practiced with the lightsaber, and he'd just assumed you whipped it around like a normal weapon. But this thing could hurt you regardless of how hard you swung it. The key had to be making sure you hit with it. Dirty tricks, distractions, keeping the other guy off balance. Luckily, he had a lot of experience with that.

"The more time we waste around here, the more likely that the one who got away will come back with backup. I don't feel like getting shot twice today. Plus, like you said, we're here to save somebody. Let's get to that temple."

Simple Discipline Strain Recovery: 3eA 0 successes, 3 advantage

Picking up Shien Technique so I can use Cunning for my Lightsaber, and also picking up Ebb/Flow so I can get a trickle of strain recovery off everything I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Itahn Vakir
Post Sheet

Itahn ignites his lightsaber and slashes at the walls of the pit in frustration. Once again he found himself in a predicament his training left him unprepared to face. Panic starts clawing at him at the thought of not reaching Romund in time, but a memory of her words soon follows: “If you’re not satisfied with your answers, perhaps you should ask different questions.”

Itahn reaches out with his senses, searching for anything that might help. He notices warm, pulsing points of light in the ice around him, and a much brighter glow above. He casts his gaze upwards to see Reylon lowering a rope. Realizing his lightsaber is still lit, he sheepishly deactivates it and begins climbing out. As he pulls himself out of the pit, the wall he slashed collapses, revealing a passage sloping up.

“We should track down the hunter,” he says after catching up with the conversation. “I would rather he not warn any others and set up more pit traps for us.” And as much as doesn’t want to admit it, he wouldn’t mind a chance to get the hunter back for that trick.

Going to be overruled but that’s ok. Spending xp on Sense.

Cool: recovering strain: 1eP+3eA 2 successes, 4 advantage