Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so I will concede that its not appropriate for low level programs, and kinda requires a decent operating system and computing power under it,

but that doesn't make it bad. it just makes it flexible

want to make something happen? write it in python

want to jerk off? stroke that dick pythonically

want to be called a cool name? get called a pythonista

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
its acceptable for writing tiny little lovely scripts. its bad for anything bigger than a single file. use a statically typed language

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
it actually is also good for low level programs surprisingly enough.

but that's because it can call compiled C++ functions.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Hammerite posted:

its acceptable for writing tiny little lovely scripts. its bad for anything bigger than a single file. use a statically typed language

python is deterministically typed so if you don't know what type something is it is because you hosed up, which isn't python's fault.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Stereotype posted:

python is deterministically typed so if you don't know what type something is it is because you hosed up, which isn't python's fault.

yes, that's correct. I gently caress up all the time, because I'm an idiot. in a statically typed language the compiler helps me to gently caress up less. me loving up is not python's fault, nevertheless I fault python for not providing that safety net.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Stereotype posted:

Python cannot fail, it can only be failed.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Schadenboner posted:

Python cannot fail, it can only be failed.

:worship:

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
for some reason the ML peeps chose python, so python is good now

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I don't really like python as a language that much, but django is the nicest web framework i've ever used so I put up with python for that.

Thanks for reading my post :tipshat:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
python, like all p-langs, is bad and should be avoided in favor of better languages like c# or java.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Shaggar posted:

python, like all p-langs, is bad and should be avoided in favor of better languages like c# or java.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i am karl, king of duck typing

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
shaggar was right

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Shaggar! His opinion correct

Fishmech and Stymie at Tegra

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

SYN/ACK when the firewalls fell

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
actually,

python is bad

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

which memory companies do you have stock in?

obstipator posted:

for some reason the ML peeps chose python, so python is good now

the "scientific" people that use python use it because numpy has cleared the extremely low bar set by MATLAB. somehow python even walks over that bar on memory management!

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

python blows rear end

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
once i thought that python was good, but now i have seen the truth and i know that shaggar was right

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

flakeloaf posted:

SYN/ACK when the firewalls fell

animist
Aug 28, 2018
pythons bad because the implementation is so slow that everybody just writes half their code in C and uses one of the 18 different available systems for binding it. but there's no C API, there's just the guts of the implementation. and all the binding systems touch different random internal parts. so whenever somebody tries to write another python interpreter / port python to some other environment, half the libraries don't work, because the c libraries haven't been ported / the guts of the implementation are different. pypy and jython have been banging their heads against this for literal decades at this point

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

the python type system has the downsides of both compiled langs like rust and interpreted langs like javascript, but without the upsides of knowing your type errors a few seconds after youve written them or just ATVing over them and hoping for the best

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

if you're including C code in your python you're already outside the good use case for python

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the python advocate at my job is an enormously obese slob so thats what i associate all python users with

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

if you're including C code in your python you're already outside the good use case for python

burning swine
May 26, 2004

global interpreter lock is the only thing you need to know about python to asses whether it sucks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

this doesn’t make sense

c# is so hard and i’ve never even heard of java sounds like bullshit

Bloody posted:

python blows rear end

if blowing rear end is an english term for eating rear end, much like a blowjob doesn’t involve blowing, well then yes python blows delicious spread open rear end 👅🍑

animist posted:

pythons bad because the implementation is so slow that everybody just writes half their code in C and uses one of the 18 different available systems for binding it. but there's no C API, there's just the guts of the implementation. and all the binding systems touch different random internal parts. so whenever somebody tries to write another python interpreter / port python to some other environment, half the libraries don't work, because the c libraries haven't been ported / the guts of the implementation are different. pypy and jython have been banging their heads against this for literal decades at this point

this sounds like a made up problem

pram posted:

the python advocate at my job is an enormously obese slob so thats what i associate all python users with

picturing this dude with a keyboard with everything twice the size including the keys so he doesn’t get the mashed keypad effect

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

global interpreter lock is the only thing you need to know about python to asses whether it sucks

the gimbal lock of programming. irrelevant in 99% of cases

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

python 3 does good work, but i also recommend not doing anything bigger than one off jobs in it as it becomes unmanageable, its packaging is also annoying relative to java's

still pays my bills so therefore its good

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

echinopsis posted:

this doesn’t make sense

c# is so hard and i’ve never even heard of java sounds like bullshit

if blowing rear end is an english term for eating rear end, much like a blowjob doesn’t involve blowing, well then yes python blows delicious spread open rear end 👅🍑

picturing this dude with a keyboard with everything twice the size including the keys so he doesn’t get the mashed keypad effect

the gimbal lock of programming. irrelevant in 99% of cases

oic. youre the tiny bug child of python.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

echinopsis posted:

In this industry all problems are made up problems hth

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
hi, i'm gil. you may remember me from famous roles such as the currency in final fantasy 7, and being the reason all your attempts at taking advantage of more than one core in python are frustrating

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

hobbesmaster posted:

somehow python even walks over that bar on memory management!

can you post an example because i've literally processed petabytes of data with python and never had any issues with memory aside from times where i accidentally select * limit all-ed something i shouldn't have

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it's the least bad of the plangs, tho. sometimes you gotta plang and then python is a sensible choice. don't plang unless you have to tho. i have never regretted writing anything in java, but i have often regretted writing things in python

pram
Jun 10, 2001
deploying any interpreted lang code is always gross. if it doesnt come in a binary or jvm then lol

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
It's easier to find Python programmers and you can pay them less.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm the linux system with 3 different versions of python and if you try to remove one the entire system stops booting.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
just ship the entire interpreter with your application! :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Soricidus posted:

it's the least bad of the plangs, tho. sometimes you gotta plang and then python is a sensible choice. don't plang unless you have to tho. i have never regretted writing anything in java, but i have often regretted writing things in python

at what stage did languages that start with the letter p become a thing. like what’s the definition of one? what makes one one other than starting with a p