Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

theodop posted:

I've never written python but it sounds bad. how do you know if your code is wrong with no compiler?

Spend a lot of time writing tests that are only necessary because you don't have a compiler and hope your linter is good. Still end up turbofucked on day long debugging sessions a compiler would have prevented.

You write every program 3-5x as fast though so most of the time you're still ahead unless you're writing something that needs to run quickly. Then you write those parts in C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Kilometres Davis posted:

Spend a lot of time writing tests that are only necessary because you don't have a compiler and hope your linter is good. Still end up turbofucked on day long debugging sessions a compiler would have prevented.

You write every program 3-5x as fast though so most of the time you're still ahead unless you're writing something that needs to run quickly. Then you write those parts in C.

sounds like a pos, op

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
The best part about python is that it supports writing functional code, object oriented structures, newly supported static typing as well as the age old dynamic typing, all in the same awful 20k line app.py file.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

TimWinter posted:

The best part about python is that it supports writing functional code, object oriented structures, newly supported static typing as well as the age old dynamic typing, all in the same awful 20k line app.py file.

your app gets all of these things in a couple of lines by importing matplotlib and pandas

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Kilometres Davis posted:

this really isn’t true, except for trivial programs with only one developer who never has to touch the code again after the first release

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
latest opinion re: Python: It is still Bad

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Shaggar posted:

despite the claims of the op, python is, in fact, bad.
Game recognize game

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

python is great when you are between zero and one person on the project. it gets terrible from there.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

theodop posted:

I've never written python but it sounds bad. how do you know if your code is wrong with no compiler?

if you run it and you get an error then you did something wrong and if you don’t then you did it right, how is this difficult to grasp and love

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 9, 2019

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Hammerite posted:

latest opinion re: Python: It is still Bad

I am here to say it’s good

pram
Jun 10, 2001
im sorry op but your programming language is a piece of poo poo

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Game recognize game

lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

im sorry op but your programming language is a piece of poo poo

python = anaconda = big dick energy

go = go to the toilet

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

theodop posted:

if it's anything like vanilla javascript, the answer is "run it, exercise every single piece of the program, and see if you get any runtime errors"

hopefully typescript liberates me from this hell. fuckin sucks to not know if i typoed a variable name until i finish the project and test it out

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

Kilometres Davis posted:

you can write C# imperatively so I can't see how python could be any faster and at the same time it doesn't tell you when you're writing it wrong

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol semicolons are time consuming get real

pram
Jun 10, 2001
guess what language doesnt have semicolons

thats right. go

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

theodop posted:

you can write C# imperatively so I can't see how python could be any faster and at the same time it doesn't tell you when you're writing it wrong

yeah every program was a bit of stretch, just being glib, but I have to convince myself that there's some benefit to the tools I use every day I guess

I personally find it always faster for prototyping and new poo poo but if I had written as much C# as I have Python I'd have different metrics

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

pram posted:

guess what language doesnt have semicolons

thats right. javascript

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

python is fine

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

really lol if anyone has any kind of opinion on actual programming languages like we don't spend all our time setting up build pipelines, or programmatically defining infrastructure, or debugging stupid bullshit or writing tests

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Kilometres Davis posted:

yeah every program was a bit of stretch, just being glib, but I have to convince myself that there's some benefit to the tools I use every day I guess

I personally find it always faster for prototyping and new poo poo but if I had written as much C# as I have Python I'd have different metrics

I regularly use python for prototyping. after a few weeks it regularly turns into an unmaintainable clusterfuck, at which point I use the lessons I’ve learned about the problem domain to write a good implementation in java.

I would skip straight to part 2 if a second person was allocated to the project.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

they're optional, but only morons omit them

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Soricidus posted:

I regularly use python for prototyping. after a few weeks it regularly turns into an unmaintainable clusterfuck, at which point I use the lessons I’ve learned about the problem domain to write a good implementation in java.

I would skip straight to part 2 if a second person was allocated to the project.

maybe its a clusterfuck because youre still figuring out and prototyping, and not because python is bad (it isnt)

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
consider this: it is okay

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

power botton posted:

maybe its a clusterfuck because youre still figuring out and prototyping, and not because python is bad (it isnt)

It's pretty easy to tidy up a java program. Python, not so much.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

all OO languages are impossible to make clean and coherent programs in

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

power botton posted:

all languages are impossible to make clean and coherent programs in

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

thats why APL/J/K are the only good languages. hating the programmers using it is built into the core identity. reviewing anyones code you think its an pile of garbage shat onto a screen, so instead of layers of leaky abstractions just type bullshit like this

code:
c=: complete=: (] , (+./ {. ,:)@:-.@:(+./))@:tab
tab=: ,:^:(0:>.2:-#@$)
and press "run" until it works, like every programmer does anyway

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching

echinopsis posted:

lol semicolons are time consuming get real

they let you know when that bit of code's over. like a little breather for the code

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
precious loving compilers lack confidence at accepting the end of the line means end of instruction 🙄🙄

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Precious compilers barfing over whitespace

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
check out this guy :qq: over :airquote: white privileged :airquote:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.reddit.com/r/learnprogr..._medium=ios_app

automate the boring stuff online course is free to sign up to this week for lifetime access

are you a bad enough dude

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

echinopsis posted:

check out this guy :qq: over :airquote: white privileged :airquote:
Not a guy, rummy.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:monocle:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

power botton posted:

yes? I mean there’s a reason I choose python for the prototyping. but there’s also a reason I don’t choose python for the production version. it’s easy to write bad code fast in python, but it doesn’t provide many tools for writing good code slowly.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

power botton posted:

thats why APL/J/K are the only good languages. hating the programmers using it is built into the core identity. reviewing anyones code you think its an pile of garbage shat onto a screen, so instead of layers of leaky abstractions just type bullshit like this

code:
c=: complete=: (] , (+./ {. ,:)@:-.@:(+./))@:tab
tab=: ,:^:(0:>.2:-#@$)
and press "run" until it works, like every programmer does anyway

k/q is actually pretty great for understanding an unfamiliar and even messy codebase. there are a lot of operators, but it is a fixed and powerful set (so once you've learned them you're pretty much set), the type system is very simple (not strong, but the language pushes you pretty heavily towards homogeneous collections, often tables with descriptive names and proper typing, which causes very few surprises), and the abstractions are few and can only really be used in one way.

pretty much you can pretty much look at a line and get a fairly good idea what goes in and comes out.

and this touches upon my experience where python actually falls down: codebases tend to grow masses of options, leaky abstractions, and hard to track statefulness very easily. i figure one can probably build big projects in python if one was to enforce a pretty strict code standard, but that is contrary to the way most people use python.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

k/q is actually pretty great for understanding an unfamiliar and even messy codebase. there are a lot of operators, but it is a fixed and powerful set (so once you've learned them you're pretty much set), the type system is very simple (not strong, but the language pushes you pretty heavily towards homogeneous collections, often tables with descriptive names and proper typing, which causes very few surprises), and the abstractions are few and can only really be used in one way.

pretty much you can pretty much look at a line and get a fairly good idea what goes in and comes out.

and this touches upon my experience where python actually falls down: codebases tend to grow masses of options, leaky abstractions, and hard to track statefulness very easily. i figure one can probably build big projects in python if one was to enforce a pretty strict code standard, but that is contrary to the way most people use python.

q looks on every metric as though it should be terrible but somehow manages to be good. i think it's like you say that it encourages you to structure your data properly, and code acting on data is then pretty straightforward to read once you get past the weird (but simple!) rules like right to left evaluation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
"Automate the Boring Stuff with Python Programming" course on Udemy is free with coupon code SCHOOLS_OUT2

https://www.udemy.com/automate/?couponCode=SCHOOLS_OUT2