Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
It's easier to find Python programmers and you can pay them less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k
PyCharm has a community edition and it's also good. Good for typeahead, good for usage lookup, good for git, good for tests.

Idk why you would use another IDE if you're using Python tbqh

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

echinopsis posted:

eh I’ve only just started with vscode and I have little experience with anything else but what would pycharm bring to the table the vschode isn’t

also the aesthetic of vschode which i’m guessing is stolen from atom is very very naaaice

like I want to code just so I can use vschode

I can't say for sure but I'm guessing VSCode doesn't have project level virtual environments by default, their typeahead is unlikely to be as comprehensive and definitely won't be as fast/responsive (certainly wasn't when I last used it for JS), and they're both customisable in colour and font so idk if you mean something else by aesthetics.

By all means use whatever gets the job done but I've used Atom, VSCode, and PyCharm and I'm gonna keep using PyCharm.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

theodop posted:

I've never written python but it sounds bad. how do you know if your code is wrong with no compiler?

Spend a lot of time writing tests that are only necessary because you don't have a compiler and hope your linter is good. Still end up turbofucked on day long debugging sessions a compiler would have prevented.

You write every program 3-5x as fast though so most of the time you're still ahead unless you're writing something that needs to run quickly. Then you write those parts in C.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

k

theodop posted:

you can write C# imperatively so I can't see how python could be any faster and at the same time it doesn't tell you when you're writing it wrong

yeah every program was a bit of stretch, just being glib, but I have to convince myself that there's some benefit to the tools I use every day I guess

I personally find it always faster for prototyping and new poo poo but if I had written as much C# as I have Python I'd have different metrics