Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Hiding behind rocks for an hour every time you get shot isn't fun. 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Gears of War was important for the Xbox 360 playing the same role as Halo for the Xbox. Microsoft was desperate to differentiate itself and Halo’s clean sci-fi aesthetic with creepy future zombies wasn’t what they were looking for. What are you playing there on your PlayStation? Final Fantasy? What a nerd. This is the XBox, it’s a big overheated powerful computing block, use it to play this big manly third person shooter starring cubes of muscle, that cut evil (surprise, not evil) aliens apart with chainsaws. Like DOOM right? This is a system for jocks. This is a system from America for America. This game features an American football (maybe future rugby) player in a war. That’s what America loves right? And this isn’t a clean technological war like Halo, this isn’t your daddy’s shooter, in this game everything’s dull, brown and gritty like real war, hell they even put the equivalent of trench warfare (i.e cover) in this game.

1/5

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

2/5. Like, I get how important it was, but it started some seriously terrible trends, and also gently caress the multiplayer! It sucked! No one wants rolly shotgun chainsaw only multiplayer! It's too dependent on lag! The only reason it isn't 1/5 is because of the COLE TRAIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtMfEFMR8Wc

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
4/5

Im going to be the odd man out and say 4 out of 5 because it did something that was good enough to where I went out and bought GoW 2 and 3. I had a blast playing coop in the game too and the level where you have to stay in the light was really neat. The first one had the best chainsaw animation as well. I used to have a lot of fun pissing people off by chainsawing them in the multiplayer. Downsides is that the story for what little there is obviously wasn't finished (Like you teleport from Act 4 to Act 5 and suddenly there is a train? Who's train? Who the hell knows). Also the multiplayer was all shotgun bullshit.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Oh boy I almost forgot to vote in my own thread! How embarrassing!

So Gears of War has kind of had a slating here and I kinda figured that was going to happen. I chose it on purpose to establish that this isn't just about gushing over games we love. For me, I played Gears for the first time last year and I'm afraid there wasn't much about it that stuck out. Even though I've not played that many games that came out after this one the gunplay already felt so generic without any innovation to set it apart. The story was non-existent and the characters were the type of hyper-macho fratbros that really fermented the toxic masculinity embedded with the gaming community. Oh, and the final boss is absolute wank. The graphics are undeniably pretty but the art style is so bleak and lifeless and it had a huge negative impact on the industry. 2/5 and that's only because it is pretty.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I also forgot to vote. Maybe because when I tried to replay it a year or so ago it was so unremarkable and boring that I forgot about trying to play it again.

Which is funny because I remember having a good time with it back when it came out and playing it co-op with my step-brother on his shiny new xbox 360. Now it's just the poster child for the dregs of that generation.

1/5

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Week 6: 22nd June - 28th June

It's not been a good showing from Gears of War as it finishes on a very disappointing 1.97, which puts it in dead last in our ranking.

1. Super Mario 64: 4.38
2. Doom: 4.22
3. Street Fighter II: 3.94
4. The Sims: 2.8
5. Gears of War: 1.97

Perhaps this week's offering will fare better with our voters...

Eurogamer posted:

A luscious, sprawling epic.

Official PlayStation Magazine posted:

The most innovative, outlandish, brilliant video game.

Gamespot posted:

An incredible experience that shouldn't be missed by anyone.

RATED 97 ON METACRITIC

POPULARISED OPEN WORLD VIDEO GAMES

BEST SELLING US VIDEO GAME OF 2001

WON 2001 GAME OF THE YEAR AT THE GAME DEVELOPER'S CHOICE AWARDS

2016 INDUCTEE IN THE VIDEO GAME HALL OF FAME

GRAND THEFT AUTO III
(PS2/XBox/PC, DMA Design, 2001)

This week we're looking at a game that is rooted in the DNA of so many modern hits, Grand Theft Auto III. While its sandbox might seem rudimentary by today's standards it cannot be understated how much of an impact its 3D sandbox had on first release. You could go where you want, do what you want and do it all why you want. Whether it was shooting up gangs, pimping out prostitutes, catching some sick air or simply earning a humble living as an Uber driver the options felt limitless. GTAIII was the video game industry growing out of its stroppy teenage years and taking its first steps into adulthood. However, what we really want to know is how good was it, really?

And we're back to the special B-B-B-BONUS POLL! Best radio station, go.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A fully explorable, immersive 3d world where you can do anything you want is a video game and virtual reality panacea. GTA3's mission design is tedious and it's politics somewhat regressive, but it's scope was incredible to experience at the time. It felt like the next step forward for video games and of course, it was.

Lips 106

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jun 22, 2019

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
5/5 for me. It really looked amazing on my high-end graphics card at the time. It made the Playstation 2 version look like garbage. 1152x864 at 60 FPS vs 480i at like 20? It was ridiculous. It kicked off my habit of getting overpowered hardware.

That’s not just even mentioning the gameplay, which was so chaotic and fun in short bursts or the campaign which nailed it with its odd humor to balance out the incredible violence and degeneracy throughout the game.

The radio stations were amazing with both the hilarious talk bits and the excellent music selection and there was a DJ with my name, so extra credit there.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You're disqualified due to conflict of interest.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jun 22, 2019

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
4/5

GTA3 is really good, and even as it's become outdated it's still got value because it was a crime fantasy game set and developed at a time when urban gangster fiction was dominating pop culture, a unique take with good timing that can probably never be replicated.

arguably only Saint's Row shares that value, and SR1 was just a low-brow imitator anyway and it was a whole generation later.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It feels like the last few weeks have been "pick the originator of a genre that got left in the dust by all its progeny" except in this case GTA's own line is a bunch of failsons.

GTA 3 was absolutely ground breaking when it came out and a staggering number of games owe their existence to it. Bad gunplay, awful mission design, atrocious map progression, terrible to the point of disabling some vehicles controls, lack of side content, and purposefully tedious gameplay mechanics all got overlooked because it was the first of its kind and cheat codes still existed so you could sort of make the game fun.

For the record, I wanted to give this a 1, but that seems unfair in a world where GTA IV exists.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
2/5

It was really fun, and also one of the first “M” games I ever played, I think. By the time I played it though, which wasn’t long after it came out, other games seemed to be doing all it did better. The setting was still unique but that was about it. And since that setting was swiftly competing with stuff like Morrowind and wasn’t exactly inspired to begin with, and what it did has been done better loads of times, it loses points for not giving anyone any reason to go back to it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
1/5

Probably deserves a 2 but my memories of this game were one of the first times I just got blackout drunk at a Super Bowl party and woke up having poo poo myself in front of a PS2 where some song I loving hated was playing when I rose in GTAIII

I've never gone back to the series and what windows I've seen through the loving blitzkrieg of marketing ever since have never made me tempted, with the possible exception of "wait, what the gently caress, there's a Phil Collins quest chain in one of them?"

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

2 for me. I liked this game a lot back in the day. I like some of its descendants a lot as well, even if, like with Gears, I am pretty sick of the whole open world thing as a whole. So, I'm positive mostly on its legacy, and I had a great deal of fun playing it when it came out. Why the low score? Well, I went back to these games and tried to play them pretty recently and goddamn are they sparse and ugly, and a pain in the rear end to control or enjoy. I had more fun with the previous 2(3) games to this on revisit. This generation of GTA aged poorly.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Really need to decide if scores are based on legacy or modern replayability imo, because "this game sucks when I try to replay it nearly 20 years later" will cover most games.

Anyways [/b]3/5[/b]. I played so much of this when I was a kid but I remember that it also got me grounded because my mom walked in while I was punching a police officer in the face.

Also I don't remember all of the radio shows but I think vice city had better ones.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All my votes are based on long-term importance because otherwise everything would get 2/5 based on any modern sensibilities unless you're talking about DOOM and Tetris.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Depends, really. I've been playing a good amount of both SimCity 2000 and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 recently and I would cheerfully give 5s to either of them based on how they stack up today.

e: I arguably like them more than I did at the time because I can balance my budget without relying on cheats/beat Chemical Plant Act 2 nowadays :v:

e2: heck even Pong has aged surprisingly well in that I still see people having fun playing it.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jun 22, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

This is a hot takes thread, let them flow

Also yeah there's a LOT of older games that haven't aged poorly at all. GTA3 came out in 2001, and there's tons of games made before 2001 that I'd still replay in full.

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 22, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lots of old games have aged superbly and can still put to top marks. Otoh, lots of games that were considered best in class at the time have not, but it'd not like all old games are going to be a 2. Doom and Tetris being on a short list of 5s is fine, they really are that much better than everything else.

Also, PS2/360 games are in a bad spot currently where their too old to be new, too new to be nostalgic, and their graphics haven't become charmingly retro yet and thus look like rear end.

Anyways, I didn't play enough GTA3 to give it a rating, but what I did I didn't care for. The missions were fiddly and tedious in a way that undercut the feeling of an open world, and just causing mayhem got old fast. If anything, were I to rate it for its impact it would score higher as the rise of open world games was, on the whole, a pretty good thing. Some were better than others, and the flaws of the genre have become obvious with time, but for the most part they've managed to be a lot of fun.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah I only really played the game for an hour or so, the idea of "you can do anything you want" is true so long as what you want to do is some sort of variation on killing people and the controls are absolutely awful and somehow still haven't been improved as of GTA5.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, I've been taking this thread as "If asked today, compared to everything else on the market, how good is this game". Some games are really, really good that I'd still recommend them to people today and some frankly aren't. If anything, genre setting expectation shattering games are more likely to fall into the latter camp because there will have been for the most part 500 games trying to cash in, refine, or expand on the concept until the original just isn't going to be a first choice to recommend to people.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

On top of that this is basically a thread of exclusively historically influential games so rating them based on influence alone feels like a waste of a fun opinion

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
3/5

It was..a game that I thought was good. I didn't play much of it I guess because it crashed a lot on my PC at the time, but I couldn't stand the PS2 version's framerate after that, even with light trails turned off. Also the controls were absolute rear end, something that Rockstar still has an issue with. Lazlow was fun.

Vice City though..oh man.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
3/5. It's definitely influential, but I've never felt the urge to go back and play it like I did with, say, Doom, Starcraft, etc. It blew my mind when it came out, but there are other open-world games that I'd say I'd rate higher in this sort of retrospective, such as Saint's Row 2.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

My hot take is that the gta formula is better in literally any other setting.

No rating because the closest I got to gta was saints row 3 and red faction guerilla.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.
5/5

Extremely influential, but a rarity because it's still fun in the modern era. While the concept was definitely improved in the 7th generation by games like Saint's Row 2, I still think that GTA3 stands as the best of the 6th generation open-world games. GTA3 is an interesting anomaly, because it stands as almost a perfect time capsule of pre-9/11 America and the end of the dot-com boom, and I think that's something that's very valuable. The radio in GTA3 is still my favorite of any GTA game, and I revisit Chatterbox, the best radio station, about once a year and laugh non-stop the whole way through.

The environment of Liberty City itself is definitely more enjoyable than Vice City or San Andreas, despite the lack of planes and motorcycles, as there's a real value in the entire game being one drab, melancholic city. Liberty City is not a happy place, above or below the surface, and the juxtaposition of the mute main character, the dreary city and the radio being full of depressed sadsacks and charlatans advertising hokum creates a fantastic atmosphere. Some of the other GTA protagonists, like Vercetti or CJ, have more interesting personalities, but Claude's silence is actually far better. In GTA3, you aren't really a character, but an avatar of the city itself, lashing out in rage at a broken system. I find that far more compelling. Even the ending, where Claude opts to murder Maria because she won't shut up, is a far better ending than VC or SA's. Claude doesn't really care about being a kingpin, he just wants to commit as many crimes as possible. That's what Liberty City deserves.

I do not think there has been a more influential game in the 21th century than GTA3, and it deserves a 5/5 on that alone. Beyond that, however, the game is still phenomenal and a classic example of a studio reaching its apex. Future GTA games have been fun, but none have engrossed me quite like GTA3, though 4 came close. This game is a true masterpiece, in every sense of the word. I'd give it 6/5 if I was allowed to.

JfishPirate fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 22, 2019

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A thing to keep in mind is the PC versions of all the GTA 3 games have aged a lot better than the console releases due to the traditional KB&M aiming setup.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

GTA3 was fun at the time, and the map's honestly not terrible (someone exported it to a skateboarding early access game and I've been loving around in it and having fun) but, outside of the radio, everything the game introduced was made way better by not only the followups to it in the series, but the Saints' Row series of games.

That said - getting drunk and booting it up is a nostalgia trip that is never disappointing, which is more than I can say for a lot of "this game kicked off the genre" games.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
This thread is really reminding me how many genre making games I intentionally ignored.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Really need to decide if scores are based on legacy or modern replayability imo, because "this game sucks when I try to replay it nearly 20 years later" will cover most games.

I think one of the interesting things about this thread is everyone's going to come into it with their own subjective criteria for what they base their rating on. Everyone places different values on different areas of game design and comparing and contrasting those is what this thread is all about. After all there's no right or wrong way to judge a piece of media.

I was 16 when GTA3 came out. I wanted it real bad but my mum and sister were concerned about the whole 'loving then murdering prostitutes' thing. I had to convince them that this was just a minor gameplay possibility and not a major aspect of the game. In the end they let Dad buy it for me but I had to pay for it. When I got it I was instantly entranced. For the first time a video game was giving me a living, breathing world to explore and sure, later games have expanded on the available options exponentially but even back then it felt like there was so much to do and see. This was the first ever game I 100%d and I'm sure that even knowing better games exist I could still go back to it today and have a great time. This kickstarted my love for the GTA series and gave me voracious appetite for any game Rockstar put out (got Bully and GTA4 coming up on my to-play list soon and I'm very hype). The only reason it doesn't get full marks is because as I said, later games have clearly pushed the concept further. 4/5

JfishPirate posted:

The environment of Liberty City itself is definitely more enjoyable than Vice City or San Andreas, despite the lack of planes and motorcycles, as there's a real value in the entire game being one drab, melancholic city. Liberty City is not a happy place, above or below the surface, and the juxtaposition of the mute main character, the dreary city and the radio being full of depressed sadsacks and charlatans advertising hokum creates a fantastic atmosphere. Some of the other GTA protagonists, like Vercetti or CJ, have more interesting personalities, but Claude's silence is actually far better. In GTA3, you aren't really a character, but an avatar of the city itself, lashing out in rage at a broken system. I find that far more compelling. Even the ending, where Claude opts to murder Maria because she won't shut up, is a far better ending than VC or SA's. Claude doesn't really care about being a kingpin, he just wants to commit as many crimes as possible. That's what Liberty City deserves.

I just want to say that I really loved this paragraph. Critical analysis of video games is completely my bag. And you're right, of the PS2 era games GTA3 absolutely feels the most critical of the era it portrays. It really skewers the oppressive nature of modern capitalism whereas VC and SA both romanticise the past. So much of what GTA3 says still feels relevant today.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

I never got into 3 as much as I did Vice City. I didn't really take the main story missions far enough to do things besides 'unlock the rest of the map' and flared out.

I mostly just used all the cheat codes and hosed around that way. The strongest parts of 3 and Vice City were the cheats, and flying around in tanks never gets old.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I admit I'm taking this thread as a how do I feel about it now review thread. There are a lot of games I loved that I cant rate well today because I find them miserable to revisit. well on the other hand, I can happily play others. I enjoy playing GTA 1 and 2 more than I like playing this one. Honestly, I found it incredibly hard to get into Vice City again as well. The aesthetic and the soundtrack is so great, but the game doesn't hold up to me in play anymore, and I just find myself not wanting to play it when I am trying to.

San Andreas holds up better, even if Vice City is where my nostalgia is at, because the way the game played did get better in that one, even if there are some major frustrations to be found in it.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Going to vote 4. Would have been 5, except for the Mafia guys who can blow up your car with one shotgun blast, and the fact that it's really hard to navigate on the 3rd island.

Also the best radio station is Chatterbox and it's not even close.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

I didn't want to do the optional mission where you pancake a whole lot of pedestrians with a car until I realized that every pedestrian in Liberty City is an rear end in a top hat. 3

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

2/5

This game is inextricably mixed up with Vice City and San Andreas in my mind. I just don't remember them as separate games. What I do remember though is that I never got very far into the story of any of them and generally had more fun using cheats and loving around. I wouldn't play any of them again now simply because if I want that kind of game I'll play Saints Row 2 which does literally everything better, but GTA3 was a neat idea at the time and for that I'll give it some credit. There's no way I could give it a higher score than 2 though, because even when it first came out it was always one of those missed opportunities, an amazing concept with a lovely execution.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Best radio station by the way, cuz I missed it, its between the Talk radio station and the one that plays the Scarface soundtrack. Probably gotta go talk though.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Participation this week seems a bit low. Would people like to switch up the kind of games we look at a bit? I confess when starting the list I was thinking about the famous classic games that most people would have played at some point but I'm happy to change things up if it would help people feel more engaged. Very happy to hear your feedback :)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

tbh i just didn't want to make the same type of post as the last game but I guess I'm gonna.

Honestly despite the 3 GTAs of that period having different settings and moods the gameplay improvements meant that even back when I was playing these games on PS2 the second Vice City came out I could no longer enjoy GTA3, and then the second San Andreas came out I could no longer enjoy either of those, and now I can't enjoy San Andreas because I've seen too many open world games. The short of that being, in the case of those GTA games and in a ton of open world games, the open world is just a big tedious timesink in-between the actual authored content and the authored content in those games didn't age well just because of the bad shooting and no/bad checkpoints, and boring tailing poo poo and you-name-it. All culminating in the fact that I never finished San Andreas, and I can't even imagine playing GTA3 again despite loving the crap out of it at release.

2/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I was debating putting a score for this game like I was gears as I did not play enough of either to give what I feel was a fair mark, but I will because I want this thread to continue.

I played GTA3 for about four hours back when my family got a PS2 and while my brother loved it, I found myself getting quite overwhelmed by it almost straight off the bat. I know there are main story missions and that I could follow that, but the fact that the city was so open and there was so much to do aside from the main missions would creep into my head and paralyse me to the point where I found it tough to continue. This happens to me in every single open world game and usually leads me to just stop playing them (this is why I could not believe I completed God of War and Spider-man in the space of a fortnight after originally dropping them!)

Vice City was a different thing and was the only GTA that I properly played all the way through despite owning every GTA game there is and I think it is because I grew up happiest in the 80s and everything about it connected with me. GTA3 is an interesting game for what it spawned and did play well (even if some things did not make too much sense like water) but without it existing I think the gaming landscape might be a bit more barren.

Having said that the music was so good that I actually made audio cds of just the music and listened to them over and over again. I still have them as mp3s and will listen to them for fun.

I have to give my vote to FlashbackFM (followed extremely close by Chatterbox).

I will give it:

2/5