Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

tomanton posted:

That could be fun. Until actual entries come in I will lead off (ha ha) with the goon field trip I was part of to ULTIMATE BASEBALL ONLINE 2007, which I realized happened every bit of ten years ago wow am I old.

Everyone had to agree not to steal bases because it would soft crash the game and leave you with nothing to do except yell at the runner until you closed your game. The infielders could also crowd home plate so that not only was it impossible to see pitches coming but any line drive was caught instantly. Good times!

Oh man I remember that game. I had a pitcher who pitched so slowly that nobody could hit the ball, and I suspect it was because of some timeout function that was to prevent late swings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
poo poo, I know the perfect game for this too.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Just want to say this thread and game were amazing. Also the explanations of how and why baseball work were suprisingly interesting and really made me appreciate the sport in a way I never have before.

:five:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

honda whisperer posted:

Just want to say this thread and game were amazing. Also the explanations of how and why baseball work were suprisingly interesting and really made me appreciate the sport in a way I never have before.

:five:

:same:

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Super duper torn between Base Wars, which is a game I super wanted to play after reading about it in Nintendo Power but never did, and Super Baseball 2020, which came out on my favorite system, the Neo Geo, but which I also haven't played.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Just wanted to say I finally caught up and finished reading, and it was a really good LP of a pretty funny game. Even as a pretty big baseball fan, I have to chime in and say that the side commentary and info was not only interesting, but what made the whole LP come together nicely. Thanks for doing this!

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

tomanton posted:

That could be fun. Until actual entries come in I will lead off (ha ha) with the goon field trip I was part of to ULTIMATE BASEBALL ONLINE 2007, which I realized happened every bit of ten years ago wow am I old.

Everyone had to agree not to steal bases because it would soft crash the game and leave you with nothing to do except yell at the runner until you closed your game. The infielders could also crowd home plate so that not only was it impossible to see pitches coming but any line drive was caught instantly. Good times!

And let's not forget the bug where the AI catcher was unable to catch pitches, meaning you either had to have a human playing catcher or (once that guy quit, because they always quit) one of your fielders had to run to the backstop to pick up every pitch & toss it to the catcher to trigger the right animations to get to the next pitch.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Oh gently caress, I know what I'm doing.

:unsmigghh:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
I have a very good idea that will sadly never happen :c

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I don't remember now how I found this thread but oh poo poo I'm glad I came. What an amazing ride.

Although, as a Tom Glavine fan, I'm a little bummed he didn't get a mention in any of the baseball history sidebars. I do get it tho -- he didn't really fit in with any of the topics at hand.

McD, knowing that you're a student of the game, you should check out Living On the Black by John Feinstein if you haven't. Fantastic read.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

The thing I'm my at surprised at is the complete lack of any references to Mariano Rivera. You would think a game about being the Yankees closer would have mentioned the greatest closer ever. I thought for sure that the game would end with Bobson learning his Cutter.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

The thing I'm my at surprised at is the complete lack of any references to Mariano Rivera. You would think a game about being the Yankees closer would have mentioned the greatest closer ever. I thought for sure that the game would end with Bobson learning his Cutter.

I knew from the get-go that the whole game would essentially live in Mo's shadow if he became a part of it. (Moose was originally Mo but I realized for the character I wanted Mike Mussina was far more interesting/far less problematic to make fun of his personality). I decided not to feature him as a character but there is a 42 jersey hanging up in the manager's office as a small shout-out.

I'm not entering the contest (I think Fedule said I could have a freebie, in which case hell yeah) but I'll help kick things off with an oldie from when everyone in STL wanted to put Matt Holliday (not a first baseman) at first base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3li3fn44mA

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Please forgive any audio issues with this, I obviously didn't prep it very much. They'll be worked out for the actual LP.

Let's Preview MLB The Show 07

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

gently caress, there's no way I can put together a Towa City Demon Hunters vs. Macho Men baseball mogul video without spending the whole weekend on it because :effort:.

YOU WIN AGAIN, SMASHER DYNAMO.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So, because I am absolutely stupid, I've already started a new LP. The contest here will of course continue to run for a while to let people get their entries in.

Come and join me as we play a great Shadowrun: Dragonfall mod.

CirclMastr posted:

Please forgive any audio issues with this, I obviously didn't prep it very much. They'll be worked out for the actual LP.

Let's Preview MLB The Show 07

Oh jeez. That kinda put me on the spot, didn't it. Well, I'm down. Especially if I don't have to do any work beyond "talk about baseball". You do however know that I'll essentially have to disqualify you for the contest since it'll otherwise be seen as favoritism for me to award something that I will be directly involved in.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

TheMcD posted:

Oh jeez. That kinda put me on the spot, didn't it. Well, I'm down. Especially if I don't have to do any work beyond "talk about baseball". You do however know that I'll essentially have to disqualify you for the contest since it'll otherwise be seen as favoritism for me to award something that I will be directly involved in.

Didn't mean to put you on the spot, sorry. Besides, it'll be who knows how long before I get proper internet back. Months at least.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

this makes me nostalgic for posting in sas baseball threads a decade ago. thanks gyroball and mcd, this is a monument. to something

edit: oh uh hi everyone i bumped a week old dead thread

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

thread isn't dead, here's an entry for that contest

https://youtu.be/C8YNiyXjyyo

So, original plan was to have voice over where I pretended it was just a normal game of baseball with IRL players, but that got corrupted somehow and I'm not rerecording it lol.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Here you go, thread and game - I made a fanart of "gritty reboot" Kaminari for you:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
But you're not most pitchers, Moose. That at bat against Carl Everett was a microcosm of your entire career. Never won a World Series. Never received a Cy Young award. And that wasn't your only near no-hitter. So good but just not good enough. If you just managed to push one more strike past Everett, you would have been something special. A member of that elite club. But you couldn't even fool a man who doesn't believe in dinosaurs.

I just started reading and holy poo poo this made me laugh.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato

Lux Animus posted:

Here you go, thread and game - I made a fanart of "gritty reboot" Kaminari for you:

This is incredible.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
Moose going into the Hall, for me, was vindication at its purest. He proved that someone doesn't need to be the best pitcher in a season or perfect in one game to convince people that he was great over 18 seasons. One thing that I also appreciate is that he had a piss-awful penultimate season in his age 38 year, looked like he was done... and then came back the next year and made all 34 of his starts, threw 200 innings, lowered his ERA almost two whole runs and had 20 wins for the first and only time in his career. I realise that wins mean gently caress all as a stat, but in the 21st century winning 20 games is genuinely eye-popping regardless, given how pitchers are handled these days. Also, 7 Gold Gloves. I know that the GG is kind of a dubious honour these days, but 7 in a career still means that he was a hell of a defender. Granted, Maddux had 18, but still...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, everybody, the gangtag is now live! I had to buy it myself because manual image uploading isn't working at the time, but hey, I'm used to ~*radium code*~ shenanigans loving with everything by now.

So, if you want to buy this gangtag yourself, just add this to the end of your title when buying it:

code:
[img]https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/ec/c2/00199948.0005.png[/img]
However, there is of course another way!

TheMcD posted:

Alright, so, here's a little something to cap off this thread and while we wait for the gangtag to be uploaded (apparently Radium code shenanigans are causing problems - this is me being surprised), I would like to announce a little contest.

If you want the gangtag, but aren't too high on this buying thing, you can enter this contest, where a lucky three contestants will win a free title change certificate, courtesy of my wallet. How do you enter? Well, that's simple.

Just record some baseball video game gameplay.

The only rule is that there needs to be a baseball game going on, with innings and hits and pitching and stuff. No Ninja Baseball Batman, basically. Anything else is pretty much fair game. You want to do some editing or commentary to spice it up? Feel free. You don't? That's cool too. If you're really good, fine, if you suck, hey, I'm not great either.

How will you be judged? I'll watch the videos and pick out my favorites, entirely arbitrarily. However, that means that anybody can win! Attempt to appeal to my favorites at your own risk.

Here's a video I made as an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rYv6GL_G3E

This is still running, and we have fairly few entries so far, so winning is still very possible!

Lux Animus posted:

God drat, that's good.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TheMcD posted:

~*radium code*~ shenanigans loving with everything by now.

quote:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

My eyes instinctively slide off of any and all explanations of actual baseball mechanics, so I can't join the people who claim they understand things due to this thread.

But this was a good LP of a good game regardless.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Am I the only one who think it looks odd with a full stop at the end?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

JustJeff88 posted:

Am I the only one who think it looks odd with a full stop at the end?

Well, it depends. In some dialogue, it was often with an exclamation point, but if you go back and check, say, the updates with the trivia questions, it's almost always with a full stop there.

They express different moods. The full stop is more low-key, just rejecting whatever the topic is without even getting excited about it. The exclamation point, meanwhile, connotes excitement. I guess I just subconsciously went with the one that wouldn't invite JEB! references.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TheMcD posted:

Well, it depends. In some dialogue, it was often with an exclamation point, but if you go back and check, say, the updates with the trivia questions, it's almost always with a full stop there.

They express different moods. The full stop is more low-key, just rejecting whatever the topic is without even getting excited about it. The exclamation point, meanwhile, connotes excitement. I guess I just subconsciously went with the one that wouldn't invite JEB! references.

Please clap.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Sorry not sorry.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

TheMcD posted:

Alright, everybody, the gangtag is now live! I had to buy it myself because manual image uploading isn't working at the time, but hey, I'm used to ~*radium code*~ shenanigans loving with everything by now.

So, if you want to buy this gangtag yourself, just add this to the end of your title when buying it:

code:
[timg]https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/ec/c2/00199948.0005.png[/timg]
I didn't expect my idea to proceed from smilie to prospective gangtag. But hey, whatever works!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
https://i.imgur.com/yswhWbe.gifv

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

okay i have to know: did this work

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

NAME REDACTED posted:

okay i have to know: did this work

Sure looks like it; the runner looked embarrassed and Ryan Goins, the former Toronto infielder that you see, looked to be running back to the dugout with out number three. With some exceptions, it's a universal truism in baseball that if the other team touches you with the ball when you are off base, you are out - full stop.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Haha, is that Frazier-Fraz? THE ANGRIEST MAN IN BASEBALL?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So what happened? Is no. 29 out? Did his run not count?

EDIT: And is the move the catcher pulled still legal? :allears:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

CommissarMega posted:

So what happened? Is no. 29 out? Did his run not count?

EDIT: And is the move the catcher pulled still legal? :allears:

Yes, he's out. There was never a run to count because he's on second base.

And yes, it's legal but you only see it once every couple of years. Not sure if it's because most baseball players won't fall for it, or if it's one of those "unwritten rules" that you don't use schoolyard tricks to get people out. Baseball's VERY stupid with the latter.

Here's the whole thing if you want.

https://www.mlb.com/cut4/blue-jays-ryan-goins-pulls-off-hidden-ball-trick-on-todd-frazier/c-255602902

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The thing is, most of the time as a runner you have a first or third base coach watching for you to make sure you don't get tricked, the hidden ball trick only works when both the player on base and the coach are looking away at the time of the fake throw. Second base the player on base is on their own, but the coaches can still yell to them.

The hidden ball trick works a few times a season, and is always, always hilarious.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Just like getting "mankaded" in cricket, if you're going to take the edge of the head start you must assume the opponents will seek an edge to keep you in check.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
before the explanation, the gif looked more like "the baseballer shat himself and the other guy was trying to cover it, then bailed for some reason"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

that didn't happen in this case, but hall of famer George Brett has a story about it

https://youtu.be/PseNrUeSmXk

baseball players get bored

is it not embedding? weird