Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

gently caress. Changing my vote to Bobson Dugnutt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Agreed with bobson dognutt.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

AweStriker posted:

I'm on the Bobson Dugnutt train here

:same:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Justice for Mike Truk you cowards

but fine, switching to team Bobson Dugnutt

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Swapping to the Bobson Bandwagon

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rather Watch Them posted:

Excuse me, but Bobson Dugnutt?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I'm with Mo. :colbert:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Cooked Auto posted:

I'm with Mo. :colbert:

I mean, sure, if we're playing to lose

*remembers 2004 ALCS, sighs happily*

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

AweStriker posted:

I'm on the Bobson Dugnutt train here

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I concur, changed my vote to Bobson Dugnutt

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
We're gonna solve Mo problems.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I present to you all, a gift:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KOP4mNAX5R0N_dODE6j2gHTK2oTXCIrhAQ0dEniaYFw/edit#gid=0

I highly recommend it

it's all the player names from the game whence dugnutt hails

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

GeneX posted:

I present to you all, a gift:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KOP4mNAX5R0N_dODE6j2gHTK2oTXCIrhAQ0dEniaYFw/edit#gid=0

I highly recommend it

it's all the player names from the game whence dugnutt hails

It's kind of amazing how some of these names sound like they could be actual baseball players if you change one or two letters... and then you have names like Ark Carreon and Geronimo Wenja that just sound like characters from a JRPG or something.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Minus Green posted:

It's kind of amazing how some of these names sound like they could be actual baseball players if you change one or two letters... and then you have names like Ark Carreon and Geronimo Wenja that just sound like characters from a JRPG or something.

There's all sorts of sports names in there. Like how guys like Telanne, Nogilny, Dorque and Reschyshyn are hockey players given the "one-letter-changed" treatment (Teemu Selanne, Alexander Mogilny, Ray Bourque and Curtis Leschyshyn, respectively). To be a fly on the wall when the system for the names was decided upon...

Also, I haven't tallied anything yet, since there seems to be, like, a lot more enthusiasm for this vote than I expected, but it seems like Bobson Dugnutt and Mo are the two main choices. And that requires me to ask something - "Bobson Dugnutt" doesn't fit, so what would I put in? "Bobson", "Dugnutt" or some sort of combination thing?

EDIT: Oh, wait. Dorque obviously isn't Bourque. There's two letters changed! So of course, there's also a "Lourque" in there. Fabulous.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Mo Dugnutt

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

BobDug

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Y'all realize this is a goon made game, right? From a former regular in SAS?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Yep. He even had a SL team for a while there.

Anyway gonna go for Bobson. It's waited decades for it's moment to shine.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Do I want to know why's Moose rolling with a 2000 year old brass knuckle?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mzbundifund posted:

Do I want to know why's Moose rolling with a 2000 year old brass knuckle?

Because sports is hard core.

Also Bobson, the son of Bob.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Y'all realize this is a goon made game, right? From a former regular in SAS?

Hello!

I'm not sure what the etiquette of a creator posting in an LP is so I'm gonna stay quiet and lurk/watch but I definitely appreciate seeing this. Also, everyone feel free to make fun of bad things in the game (like forgetting to strip out the RPG Maker inventory so Moose has brass knuckles) even though you know I'm reading. This is the first game I ever even tried to make so yeah, it has some roughness around the edges.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

gyroball posted:

Hello!

I'm not sure what the etiquette of a creator posting in an LP is so I'm gonna stay quiet and lurk/watch but I definitely appreciate seeing this. Also, everyone feel free to make fun of bad things in the game (like forgetting to strip out the RPG Maker inventory so Moose has brass knuckles) even though you know I'm reading. This is the first game I ever even tried to make so yeah, it has some roughness around the edges.

My policy on creator posting is :justpost:.

Also, it seems like Bobson has won our naming vote, so I'll work on the next update tomorrow.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it

gyroball posted:

like forgetting to strip out the RPG Maker inventory so Moose has brass knuckles

that the knuckles are a bug and not a feature is kinda disappointing but otherwise I stand by what I said earlier about being Into This Game so far

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

gyroball posted:

Hello!

I don't quite remember how I originally heard about this game. But it's fun, it's a good romp, well written, and you should be proud of it! Thanks for taking the time to make it and share it with the world.

Also, I've never gotten to follow an LP that could also include a running Creator's Commentary too. You should definitely :justpost: as the mood suits you.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Update II - Oh, Be Quiet. I'm Having Fun.

Alright, the people have chosen, and they have chosen Bobson Dugnutt as the name for our closer. Of course, that doesn't fit, so we have to compromise.

TheMcD's Baseball Stuff posted:

Now, who is Bobson Dugnutt? Well, in a stunning bit of historical knowledge by our thread, Dugnutt is a fairly obscure 1800s pitcher, nicknamed "Whoop-La" for his victory shouts after wins.

Back in the 1800s, people were still figuring out this "base ball" game, and as a result, things were quite radically different. Far back in the day, you needed a stupid amount of balls to issue a walk - nine or eight or seven or six depending on the year and the league. Early on, the batter could also ask for a high ball or a low ball, and pitching overhand was banned. Things were kind of crazy. Being able to throw a curveball was a major innovation and not one of the most basic breaking pitches out there.

And what was also crazy were some of the numbers put up in those days. Due to the low speeds of pitches and general lack of care given to player health, some players would just pitch basically every game in the season. This was most signified by Dugnutt's record-setting 1879 season, in which he started 75 games total, pitched the full number of innings in every single one of them, and ended up with a grand total of 680 innings pitched in a season. To note, the season back then had 80 games only, so he started all but five of them. So, to compare, Max Scherzer, an absolute ace of a pitcher in the modern era, has pitched the largest number of innings in MLB in 2018 with 220, starting 33 games and leading the league in complete games with... two. Pitcher workloads have *drastically* changed.

Another notable thing about him was that his brother was on the same team he was, playing catcher, forming the first brother pitcher/catcher duo in history.

...I'm just loving with you. Bobson Dugnutt is a fake baseball player name from the 1994 SNES game "Fighting Baseball" and nothing more. However, I didn't just make that earlier stuff up. That was about pitcher Will White, and his brother is Baseball Hall of Famer Deacon White. As people from the Super-League will be able to attest to, I will take many opportunities to shoehorn 1800s baseball into things because it fascinates me.

♪ BGM: Moose

Anyway, let's get back to where we left off.

Are we really going to go over pitching 101 again?
Yes. You need it. Right now, because your slider turned into a meatball; you don't have many pitches. In fact, you only have one pitch: Your fastball.
What about the meatball? Maybe I can trick a hitter with it. Lure him into a false sense of security.
Maybe that will work, if the hitter is a small child. A small child with Attention Deficit Disorder.
The good news is that almost all small children have Attention Deficit Disorder these days.
Watch out, baseball. Bobson may not be able to pitch like he used to, but he's going to dominate the league with his attempts at topical humor.
Not even a chuckle?
I don't chuckle. Anyway, my point is that you probably shouldn't be pitching to anyone just yet. Not until we teach you a new pitch.
Then what are we doing here?
Story-wise, this is really the only place for a tutorial section.
What do you mean by "tutorial section"? Wait... That's not the most important question. What do you mean by "story-wise"?
People only accept dull explanations of gameplay mechanics at the very beginning. It's kind of like how all the boring genealogy is stuffed into an early part of the Book of Genesis. If you're halfway through the Book of Judges and suddenly you have to read about the Jebusites, the Amorites, the Girgashites, the Hivites, the Arkites, the Sinites, and most of all the loving Hamathites... Well, you'd stop reading the Bible.
I really don't think that the Book of Judges is particularly exciting as it is.
That's because you're a philistine. Not a proper Philistine, of course, but a philistine of the colloquial definition. Not that you would know the difference, as vou have just demonstrated.
I'm lost.
Then we should get back to pitching. When you're pitching against a batter outside of a baseball game, you can't rely on your defense to bail you out. You are on your own. That means you need to strike out the hitter or lose. To do that, you will have to fool them. Every pitch has the chance of tricking the hitter into looking for that pitch on subsequent at-bats. Once a hitter is looking for a pitch, you have to throw a diametrically opposed pitch, and that's a sure strike.
Die-a-metric? This isn't about that crazy number racket they use to measure poo poo in Canada, is it?
The Metric system? No, but you should probably learn that, too. What I'm saying is that if a batter is expecting one pitch, if you throw a very different pitch you're assured a strike.
Yeah, I knew that already. When the guy at the plate was looking fastball, I'd throw my slider. And when he was looking for the slider...
You'd still throw the slider. Because until today, no one could hit it.
...yeah.
All right, I'm going to pitch to Robertson, here, to show you how it's done.

♪ BGM: Transcend

Alright, given that Bobson has gently caress-all for pitches right now, we're going to be going through our tutorial with Moose.

As we've previously seen, he has a four pitch arsenal. Now, since there aren't any real animations except a very basic pitch display, I'm just going to transcribe these battles in italics. So, let's start with the most basic thing and just throw some heat.

Moose throws a fastball!

Ball 1! The pitch was just off the outside corner and the batter takes it for a ball!

Hrm. OK, I guess we're using Moose's signature next.

Moose throws a knuckle-curve!

Strike 1! The knucklecurve completely fools the batter!

Holy poo poo, coach, that's totally unfair! What's the point of throwing that pitch? Bobson isn't going to learn anything if you are just trying to make me look silly.
Sorry, you're right. I just can't help myself...

Alright, no knuckle-curve I guess. A changeup maybe?

Moose throws a changeup!

Ball 2! The changeup was in the dirt! The hitter is now looking for a changeup!

What the hell, man? I thought you were supposed to be a control pitcher! But anyway, we have our hitter looking for a changeup, so let's throw him off with some heat again.

Moose throws a fastball!

Ball 3! The pitch was just off the outside corner and the batter takes it for a ball!

Well, poo poo. I guess the diametrically opposed pitch to a changeup is a breaking pitch?

Moose throws a slider!

Ball 4! The hitter lays off the slider as it dives out of the strike zone! Moose issued the walk. The runner reached base. Moose is defeated!

I just failed the tutorial. Amazing. Well, before we go back into that...

TheMcD's Baseball Stuff posted:

OK, let's talk about pitching. If you don't know pitching, that was a bunch of weird words just now and you didn't understand poo poo. So let's go over that.

There are four basic types of pitches. Fastballs, changeups, breaking balls and others.

- Fastballs (also referred to as "heat") are just that. Fast balls. They're supposed to go fast, primarily.
- Changeups are designed to throw the batter off - they look like a fastball by the pitcher's delivery, but move slower, loving with the batter's timing.
- Breaking balls are similarly made to throw the batter off, but in a different way - they're made to seem like fastballs for a bit, but then move in a drastically different direction, causing the batter to swing and miss, ideally.
- Others are just that - pitches that don't quite fit in these categories. We might go over some of these later, but not now.

Now, a quick word on our pitchers' arsenals. I'll link some videos to some of those pitches, and I recommend checking them out, particularly the last one, which is a video of Mussina talking about his pitching mechanics and his knuckle-curve.

- What is referred to in game as a fastball is probably a four-seam fastball, the most common type. The way the ball is gripped for that pitch, the index and middle fingers each touch the seams of the baseball twice, hence the name. A well-thrown four-seamer will have a hell of a lot of speed (with elite four-seamers hitting 100+ mph) and top spin that causes the ball to drop more slowly than one might expect it to (this also creates the illusion of the ball rising up).
- The changeup is both a type of pitch and a pitch in and of itself. Much like the category, the changeup pitch is designed to look like a fastball out of the pitcher's hand, but with reduced speed.
- As our first breaking ball, we'll need to go over the first breaking ball, the curveball (slow motion), as a point of comparison. The most common type, also referred to as a 12-6 curveball or dropball, has basically only vertical movement, dropping straight down and optimally causing the batter to hack at the air above the ball.
- Our closer's former ace pitch, the slider (slow motion), is a breaking pitch that mainly moves to the side, though it has some degree of vertical movement as well. It's fairly common in the world of baseball.
- Finally, Mussina's specialty, the knuckle-curve. Basically, it's a curve where the knuckle is used to try and give the ball a bit of an extra push.

Anyway, let's try the tutorial again.

We'll start the same way.

Moose throws a fastball!

Strike 1! The batter swung right through the heat! The hitter is now looking for a fastball!

Now that he's looking fastball, we give him the changeup.

Moose throws a changeup!

Strike 2! The batter got out in front of that pitch and just missed the change-up.

Now, a breaking pitch just to mix things up.

Moose throws a slider!

The batter fouls off the pitch as it runs in on his hands! There are still two strikes on the batter.

Well, let's go back to the heat, I suppose.

Moose throws a fastball!

Strike 3!

The batter swung right through the heat! Moose struck him out! Moose is victorious!

So yeah, sometimes the game can just screw you if your pitcher suddenly can't get control. That's realistic, actually.

♪ BGM: Moose

I don't see how this is really helping. You have a ton of pitches and I have one.
Oh, be quiet. I'm having fun.

And we get to go through another pitch battle. We'll just skip past this one.

Well, I think there is only one choice here for us to take.

What the gently caress is this?
This is a choice menu. Sometimes you are going to have to make difficult choices about how to proceed.
Aww... drat it, I don't want to have to make difficult choices. I can't even make up my mind at a buffet table. Pizza? Fried chicken? Meatloaf? 'Usually I end up piling it all on my plate because I'm afraid I might regret my pick once I get back to the table.
Yeah we're going to need to talk with the trainer and the nutritionist about that. So, do you get how pitching works?
I already did!
Good.
Well... There are a couple things.
Sure. Ask away.
What's up with the "Items" command on the pitching menu?
Pitching won't solve all your problems. Remember early in the season when you had that boil the size of a quarter on your--
Shhh! Not so loud! I told you to keep that quiet!
Anyway, you weren't going to pitch your way out of that problem. Sometimes you will be faced with enemies and obstacles that will require an item. If you don't have that item, throwing all the fastballs in the world won't get anything done.
Where will I find these items?
Well, that's up to you.
Okay. One more question: When I go to the menu, it tells me how much money I have.
Yeah, well, who knows... Maybe you'll have to buy something.
That's not my question. I want to know why I don't have any money. I'm pretty sure I had $20 before the game.
That's simple, Bobson. Fiat money - cash - has no actual value. It's just paper that, as a society, we have arbitrarily decided can be used as an intermediary to exchange in trade.
Woah... Holy poo poo, you're right.
Wait. What? No I'm not. That was a joke.
No, you're totally right. The value of money is entirely an illusion. It's not just paper money. The money I have in the bank is nothing but a number. It's a concept, stored on some computer somewhere that doesn't mean anything. It is literally only as valuable as society agrees it is. And the worst part is the government can just print more of it. No, even more frightening... They can just make the numbers in their own bank account go up.
Uh, slow down there, I was just--
Oh god, and when people start to figure out that money is objectively worthless, they will move their garbage currency for stable investments... Which will only serve to devalue the dollar more! Moose, this is awful! We have to do something!
Calm down, Bobson, it was just a joke. Fiat currency is actually sound economic policy.
But cash only has the value we give it! And we give it that value for no reason!
That's true of all sorts of things. You listen to me because you have assigned me value as your "coach". I don't *really* have any more power over you than any other person. You come to work and get paid because of the arbitrary validity that you, the team, and society assign to your contract. There's no objective power in your contract, just the power we choose to give it.
Oh... I guess you're right. If I start questioning the legitimacy of the power society assigns to things..
The rabbit hole never ends.
That doesn't explain why I don't have my twenty dollars.
Yeah, I borrowed that to grab some pizza for dinner.
WHAT? You had me doubting the foundations of society because you borrowed money without telling me?
The street vendor I like doesn't take credit card.
Just tell me next time!
Will do. Ready to go?
Yeah... Where are we going? If you're going to teach me a new pitch, wouldn't it make the most sense to just stay right here?
Yeah, that might work if we had the whole offseason, but we don't. No, we're going to have to take drastic measures if we want to have you ready for tomorrow.

Uh, what?

That doesn't make any sense. Crossword puzzles?
I've never told anyone this before, but that's the secret to my knuckle-curve. I learned it from crossword puzzles.
You've got to be kidding me again.
20 across: The clue was "part of a fist." Seven letters. I knew that the first letter was "K" because I'd already solved 1 down. That was four letters. Clue: "Top of wine". Obviously CORK. KNUCKLE intersected with 6 down on the last letter of each word, E. The clue for 6 down was "A reason to slow down." This wasn't a very good crossword puzzle. I saw the two words together, joined at a right angle. It was like a light went off in my head.
Sort of like that Reeses commercial. You got your chocolate in my peanut butter! You got your peanut butter in my chocolate!
How do you know that commercial? You're too young to know that commercial.
I saw it in a Family Guy episode.
Oh... Ugh.
So I'll go back to my locker and grab my iPad. I know that there are all sorts of free crossword puzzles online, though if you have suggestions--
Electronic crosswords? Over my dead body.
You're not making this easy.
It's not supposed to be *easy*. That's the point. The only proper way to do a crossword puzzle is on paper, with an ink pen.
Well, fine. Happen to have any blank crossword puzzles lying around?
Of course not! I don't just leave them unfinished. Or even worse, unstarted.
So, we're screwed? It's the middle of the night. We'll have to wait until morning to buy fresh crossword puzzles. I don't want to waste that time.
Don't worry. I know a place.
Great. The last time you suggested a bar, I ended up choking back cigar smoke and listening to jazz for, like, an hour.
It's an all-night book store, down in the Hub.
An all-night book store, eh? Now I'm interested.
It's not that kind of all-night book store. It's a secret enclave of East Coast intellectuals, that also happens to sell books and collections of crossword puzzles.
An "intellectual" all-night book store, eh? Well, I do like chicks with glasses.
IT'S NOT THAT KIND OF ALL-NIGHT BOOK STORE. Now that I think about it, they probably won't even let you in.
All right, if it really is our only hope, I will go to a regular bookstore. But just this time.
Well, when you're ready we'll head out.

And so, we have our destination. Next time, we'll try to get Bobson into a high-class book store.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm really digging the dialogue for this game so far.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, it's surprisingly good.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Like I said, this game is very much focused on writing. The graphics look kinda crap, the mapping is really bland and ugly, and the "core" gameplay, as it were, is basically modified praying to the RNG. But it doesn't matter because the writing is so good and the situations so interesting you just want to see what comes next, and before you know it, that's carried you through the entire game and you had a great time.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, it was kinda wild coming to the realization that all of that was in the actual game :allears:

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
That pizza better be worth it for twenty bucks.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

TheMcD posted:

Like I said, this game is very much focused on writing. The graphics look kinda crap, the mapping is really bland and ugly, and the "core" gameplay, as it were, is basically modified praying to the RNG. But it doesn't matter because the writing is so good and the situations so interesting you just want to see what comes next, and before you know it, that's carried you through the entire game and you had a great time.
Baseball has a lot of statistical noise? Well I never! Of course the banter between Moose and Bobson here (or Moose breaking the fourth wall) more than makes up for it.

Speaking of statistical noise, I actually worked on a group project about baseball pitches in the course of my math degree. Want me to summarize it or would that be too esoteric?

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

NGDBSS posted:

Baseball has a lot of statistical noise? Well I never! Of course the banter between Moose and Bobson here (or Moose breaking the fourth wall) more than makes up for it.

Speaking of statistical noise, I actually worked on a group project about baseball pitches in the course of my math degree. Want me to summarize it or would that be too esoteric?

:justpost::posthaste:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Questioning the legitimacy of power in the first five minutes of the game.

Woof, fast mover here.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

A real fastball you could even say.

Okay I've still got a lot to learn about baseball puns.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Where does someone go to download this? I googled it and couldn't find anything, and I'm interested in playing it with some friends.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

https://redbirdmenace.itch.io/the-closer

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Hella, thank you! I really love these kinds of LPs that show-off games that most people wouldn't otherwise run across. Gonna try to beat this soon so I can check back on the thread while it runs!

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

If this game doesn't end with our Hero learning The Cutter I'll be very disappointed.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

McTimmy posted:

That pizza better be worth it for twenty bucks.

It's obviously going to depend on where you live, but around here you'd be hard pressed to pay much less than that for a large pizza anywhere but a national chain. And those...well. You get what you pay for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

The intended final course of my university's math program is effectively an undergraduate research project. Invariably the professor has a general concept in mind and presents three or so specific topics based on that. When I took it, the concept was machine learning, and my team went for predicting the outcomes of at-bats based on pitching data. Unfortunately, like I said, baseball is statistically noisy. Nonetheless we were able to get two complex models working well enough.

One involved Bayesian analysis through an existing software package. This derived ultimately from Bayes' Theorem, which gives an unknown conditional probability in relation to other known ones (conditional or not). So P(A given B) = P(B given A) * P (A) / P(B). The conditional P(A given B) is known as a posterior probability, while the unconditional P(A) is a prior probability. The point of Bayesian inference, then, is to update relevant probabilities based on new information showing up. Each iteration inputs an old posterior probability as a new prior probability. Thus in our case we used the results of ball/strike/etc. pitching data to estimate the results of any given pitch being that result, given a pitcher and a batter.

The other model involved a frequentist approach involving kernel density estimation. Frequentism vs. Bayesianism is concerned with how probability is interpreted; it's very :can: but if you want to look at it further you can check out what probability really "means" here. Anyway, kernel density estimation or KDE is a smoothing technique for estimating a continuous probability density function (pdf) based on a finite amount of data. Each data point is represented by a kernel function rather than a literal point, and the overall estimated pdf is the average of those functions. The data we fed into this came from PITCHf/x, a system used from 2006 to 2016 to record pitch trajectories in surprising detail. (PITCHf/x has since been replaced by TrackMan.) Crucially this told us the outcome of each pitch but also its position, so we were able to construct pdfs of where each pitcher might throw and what each batter might do if a ball were pitched to a given location over the plate. Combining these for any given pitcher/batter combination could again tell us estimated probabilities of any given result for them.

After determining those, we tossed all that stuff into a relatively simple Markov chain. A Markov chain is a stochastic model with a finite number of states, where the probability of what happens next only depends on the current position ("memorylessness"). In the case of an at-bat we have twelve transitory states (0-2 strikes and 0-3 balls) and three end states (out, walk, hit). Solving for the asymptotic behavior (ie, finding out whether the batter is out/is walked/gets a hit) is fairly easy, just a bunch of matrix multiplication. Neither example was perfect, but at least they were decent.

That said, we also found out that doing all that data crunching was basically superfluous. There's another model out there which is loads simpler called log5, invented in 1981 by Bill James as a shorthand for estimating conditional win rates (eg, a given pitcher against a given batter) given unconditional win rates (eg, a given pitcher and a given batter each on their own). While log5 was made for baseball because it is a sport that prides itself on reams of data, there are equivalent models in other fields for paired comparisons like the Elo rating system in chess or the Rasch model in psychometry. And it turned out log5 was about as good as predicting at-bats as the Bayesian and KDE models; log5 tended towards underfitting, while the Bayesian and KDE models tended towards overfitting. Obviously we're still going to have outliers - baseball is statistically noisy - but if you just need a snap judgement you can do all the math on your mobile phone. Given pA and pb as the unconditional win rates of A and B, the conditional win rate of A while opposing B is pA, B = (pA - pA * pB) / (pA + pB - 2 * pA * pB).

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 24, 2019