Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AutumnDDP2
Nov 11, 2018

We all have to think about things sometimes. I guess.
I love planting things in the spring. Why not plant a few things on your lawn/patio/living room?

I planted some things on my patio. I got some azaleas, hydrangeas, and a few other cool things. It's fun and productive, and makes you look kind of like an adult between your Nintendo Switch marathons. I think I'm going to plant a few tomatoes and peppers later because they did well last year.

So what do you guys like to grow during the good months of the year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
weed

AutumnDDP2
Nov 11, 2018

Obviously weed is always the best choice. If weed were legal for me I'd just grow that

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

more secluded from others

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

AutumnDDP2 posted:

Why not plant a few things on your lawn/patio/living room?

cause im lazy but thanks for trying to motivate me

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

quit doxxing me

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

That is a lot of vegetative growth it looks like.
I mean unless you really love that "I know why they're here" poster which is also very cool I'm told

AutumnDDP2
Nov 11, 2018

I generally water my plants once a week, but I can understand that being difficult because of crippling depression because I've been there

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
I actually got me a venis fly trap kit from Lowes today though. Those little dudes are cool to watch them eat tiny bugs.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I just have a lame little collection of plants in fun planters on my windowsill.

E: The cactus in the Gaylord Gator mug is dead. :rip:

AutumnDDP2
Nov 11, 2018

LadyPictureShow posted:

I just have a lame little collection of plants in fun planters on my windowsill.

That is totally sweet! I really like your big cat pot in the middle.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

This is from about a week ago.

Some plants that started in the basement. Some marigolds, morning glories, some tomatoes (they are this weird currant sized thing that will go um-trellised and put in hanging baskets with flowers so they will be this weird tomato floral arrangement thing).
Since this was taken, most of the marigolds have either bloomed or are just about to, the tomatoes have exploded in size, the empty pots have been replaced with 4x lavender plants and 2x dill plants, and in my basement under my grow lights I have 8x cucumbers, 8x melons (mini-canteloup things), 4 more tomatoes for a later harvest, and some peppers started.

More stuff on standby for direct plant in the actual garden, and more plants to be bought for that as well, this is just the 'from seed' stuff going on now.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I like planting onions and eating their babies.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

AutumnDDP2 posted:

That is totally sweet! I really like your big cat pot in the middle.

The cat pot glows in the dark!

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

have you considered weed, op?

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

I started square foot gardening 4-5 years ago and have been steadily adding to it every season. The above is after the beds have been turned, compost added, and in the NE corner we built a garden teepee for the climbers.

Not pictured are some raspberries and rhubarb behind me and

I planted 75% earlier this week but didn't take any progress pictures. I've got some potatoes and some squash seeds remaining to be planted - lousy weather this weekend though. :P

Thots and Prayers fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 20, 2019

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I planted a three pound tube of ground beef, gonna grow a beef tree.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Heh I planted a tube of beef in your garden too iykwim

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
i planted a variety of pepper seeds into a bed in my yard the other day. never grown anything before besides potted jade plants so i have no idea if they'll grow.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I had a huge rear end veg garden last year. Had everything from herds, cucumber, peppers, heirloom tomato's.

Learned a hard lesson about cucumbers: one plant is too many. Anyone want pickles let me know. And banana peppers: make sure the peppers you bought aren't just mislabled banana peppers. I ended up with six plants and maybe 1000 individual peppers.

This year I have about 8 various tomatoes, but mostly Roma cause I want to make and can sauce. The other half of the garden is a couple cilantro plants and various peppers, from cayenne to ghostujang. It's basically a salsa garden on a large scale, and if I end up sitting out front with a sign and selling some(and drinking), I won't be complaining.

I have a 10x10ft square or so I might do a corn-block. Always wanted to have some delicious sweet corn

Edit: also have some watermelon this year!

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Herbs! I got basil, sage, and oregano going, and after they're transplanted I'm going to put on my big girl pants and plant some cayenne pepper. As a bonus, one of our cats adopted the herb garden and sits by them all day. Sometimes she licks the jars the sprouts are in, which is a little weird, but I forgive her.

Big Beef City posted:

This is from about a week ago.

Why are plants so CUTE

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I’ve got a yard that grows nothing but weeds, not the good kind. It’s frustrating and time consuming.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
:catdrugs:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3885177

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Your buds cry out in pain for more calcium and less branches

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Plants huh

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 14:22 on May 20, 2019

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

i dunno what you're talking about with the calcium.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

i get all the calcium i need from weed milk

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
planted a lilac shrub this weekend and put some geraniums in a planter. last week we planted green beans, red and green bell peppers, jalapenos, broccoli, and some herbs (rosemary and parsley I think?) too.

We have some raised bed gardens, built one last year and it worked well so we build another two this year.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hell Yeah posted:

i dunno what you're talking about with the calcium.

I think he means phosphate.
You should think about a fertilizer mix where the second number is higher than the other two. Like an all purpose fertilizer like miracle grow will be listed as say. 10-10-10 or something, you want something more like 2-8-4.
The numbers stand for parts of nitrogen, phosphate, and potash respectively.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
My seedlings are way to big and I'm running out of space for them but it won't stop being cold and I refuse to let my peppers get cold shock like last year. gently caress you weather just be sunny and warm ffs you've got one job.

Also I've got way too many tomatoes so hopefully I can smoke the tomatoes and make some amazing sauces in a few months. If it gets cold before they're ripe ill put all the green ones in the basement and have fresh tomatoes all winter as they ripen.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Having tomatoes all winter is good and cool

Here we usually get super hosed by a flash freeze so if you don't get them inside fast enough they're frozen solid which makes for a good time tossing them up and hitting them with a bat

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

I think he means phosphate.
You should think about a fertilizer mix where the second number is higher than the other two. Like an all purpose fertilizer like miracle grow will be listed as say. 10-10-10 or something, you want something more like 2-8-4.
The numbers stand for parts of nitrogen, phosphate, and potash respectively.

bro i'm using hydro nutes specifically meant for weed. is he saying i need less nitrogen? because that's not what the thing says. also his plants in the back look like he has nitrogen deficiency...

Setzer Gabbiani posted:

look at the back row, he could excuse this by saying he is almost ready to harvest so the leaves have yellowed, but look how small the buds are?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

now to be fair, i didn't have time to defoliate my plants when i took those pictures, which i am going to take off the full sized fans tonight. but with the picture he posted in response is he really someone who should be telling people how to grow? i personally do not think so.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I just bought a house with huge shrubs or something outside and I just want to get rid of them and replace them with something less obnoxious. Probably smaller shrubs or trees? :shrug:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Kuato posted:

I just bought a house with huge shrubs or something outside and I just want to get rid of them and replace them with something less obnoxious. Probably smaller shrubs or trees? :shrug:

They do some nice cannabis sativa/indicia hybrids that look nice along concrete fronting. I'd recommend that or planting some nice raspberry bushes. They're easy to manage and don't get out of hand.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Hell Yeah posted:

bro i'm using hydro nutes specifically meant for weed. is he saying i need less nitrogen? because that's not what the thing says. also his plants in the back look like he has nitrogen deficiency...

look at the back row, he could excuse this by saying he is almost ready to harvest so the leaves have yellowed, but look how small the buds are?

Nitrogen (first number) promotes green growth, like leaves and stem/branch development.
Phosphorus (second number) promotes root, flower, and fruit (in this case bud) development.

If you have a lot of plant growth but your buds are small or fair to middling, cut back the nitro and boost the phosphorus to redirect nutrients to the buds.
Pruning green growth will also direct the plant to direct more growth into the buds/flowers/fruit.

This is in general, timing of doing this and plant specifics come into play, but that, as a general rule, will help you.
If you're already doing this and things are fine or whatever then do whatever the hell ya want idk I'm not your master weed gardener or "Weed Lorde" as some keep insisting, in fact, demanding publicly, that I become.

Outrail posted:

I'd recommend that or planting some nice raspberry bushes. They're easy to manage and don't get out of hand.

The freakish, spindly hell hole that is the side of my detached garage begs to differ. I'd say more but they've entered the home from across the yard from there and I fear they may try and stop me.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 20, 2019

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Outrail posted:

They do some nice cannabis sativa/indicia hybrids that look nice along concrete fronting. I'd recommend that or planting some nice raspberry bushes. They're easy to manage and don't get out of hand.

Whatever they are, they obstruct 2 of the 3 windows in the front of the house. Previous owner was some 90+ year old couple, and they did have a decent garden and lawn set-up already. I just hope I don’t F everything up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

Nitrogen (first number) promotes green growth, like leaves and stem/branch development.
Phosphorus (second number) promotes root, flower, and fruit (in this case bud) development.

If you have a lot of plant growth but your buds are small or fair to middling, cut back the nitro and boost the phosphorus to redirect nutrients to the buds.
Pruning green growth will also direct the plant to direct more growth into the buds/flowers/fruit.

This is in general, timing of doing this and plant specifics come into play, but that, as a general rule, will help you.
If you're already doing this and things are fine or whatever then do whatever the hell ya want idk I'm not your master weed gardener or "Weed Lorde" as some keep insisting, in fact, demanding publicly, that I become.

you're just supposed to follow the feeding schedule with hydro nutrients. there's an increase in p and k during flowering built in to the feeding schedule for the nutrients i am using which i've followed.