Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, this happens every few years, it's the witches' hobby, the company use it like a pressure-release valve when things get a bit too spicy in the building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

What do you think Brian did that was different that allowed him to succeed?

They misidentified the problem as a witch when it was a witch's familiar acting on its own, and the company also miscast Brian as a hunter when he's actually devil-adjacent, putting him on the witch's side and letting him solve the actual problem.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

People are talking about Brian as being "Devil adjacent" and such. Maybe I'm dumb/missing something, but I just don't see it. What's the reason?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

It's mostly that the developer likes to use a lot of devil imagery with Brian. Dressing up as a devil to enter the gallery, ghost Rei asking him if he looks like a devil, seeing a devil when looking at the mirror with witch paper, etc.

The game plays around a lot with a theme of jobs or "roles". Modori just wants to be a daughter and sister but is assigned the roles of witch, when she tries to escape that role Rei is forced into it and burned on the stake, then the snake assumes the role of the witch. Hugo was forced into the role of literally nameless janitor, but assumed the role of office prankster and coveted the role of CEO. The various characters perform the role of officer worker while fully knowing that they're working for no one and making nothing. The Forest Goblin isn't even a real forest.

Looking at it from that lens, Brian's cast into the role of hunter, someone who kills witches, but ultimately ends up helping and supporting witches. The devil's described as creating witches, and Brian's the one who ultimately finishes the Sintrabot that's ultimately inhabited by Modori, all while the robot calls him "daddy".

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.
Thanks for the LP. This got me to try the game, something I definitely don't regret. Very much enjoyed this.

yamiaainferno
Jun 30, 2013

I just found this thread and binged through all of it in a day, and man...it's a super riveting game. Really holds your attention, has some good spooks and great atmosphere.

The big question I have that seems to have been left totally unresolved-- what the gently caress is up with Kate? Why was there that vision of her singing headless in the Videoclub Misterio room? Why did she turn into a giant mummy with hair that attacked us during the party, instead of the normal human-sized ones that everyone else did? Something just seems...off...about her, honestly. Why did she accept all the weird craziness of the company in stride? Chapman was pretty freaked out by it, so it's not just us, and everyone else had been trapped in the building so long that they were either delusional or used to it. Kate, meanwhile, kept trying to pretend that this was still an office job.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

yamiaainferno posted:

I just found this thread and binged through all of it in a day, and man...it's a super riveting game. Really holds your attention, has some good spooks and great atmosphere.

The big question I have that seems to have been left totally unresolved-- what the gently caress is up with Kate? Why was there that vision of her singing headless in the Videoclub Misterio room? Why did she turn into a giant mummy with hair that attacked us during the party, instead of the normal human-sized ones that everyone else did? Something just seems...off...about her, honestly. Why did she accept all the weird craziness of the company in stride? Chapman was pretty freaked out by it, so it's not just us, and everyone else had been trapped in the building so long that they were either delusional or used to it. Kate, meanwhile, kept trying to pretend that this was still an office job.

my opinions/speculation.

1. Foreshadowing/easter egg most likely. Remember what Brian was doing right before the poo poo hit the fan?
2. Most likely the witch directly possessed the one closest to Brian when all hell went loose.
3. Everybody seems to be somewhat conditioned to accept the poo poo going in there, even Chapman to a certain degree. My guess it's magical in nature.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I did not expect the game to be like this based on the title and thread title but I'm glad I gave it a shot

One of the things I find weird no-one talked about is that they don't explain what, exactly, the robot and kid are now. The robot was just a copy of the kid mixed in with their intranet, they weren't really the kid, while the witch, already unstable in the other, real body is now apparently confined to an unfeeling robotic shell

So you have a fake person inhabiting a real body and a real person apparently shoved into a fake one, with them now taking over a Megacorp

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

I did not expect the game to be like this based on the title and thread title but I'm glad I gave it a shot

What exactly about GOODBYE FOREVER, BEGGARS did you find difficult to understand

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I was expecting a Going Postal / Falling Down / Fight Club FPS. Glad to be disappointed.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
An interesting facet of Rei's conversation with Domori's familiar is that she's talking with it from a very familiar stance. The parents didn't seem to know poo poo about Domori honestly, given how they acted in the backstory. But Rei was very conversant with it in a 'oh, so this is what you were up to' deal.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

What exactly about GOODBYE FOREVER, BEGGARS did you find difficult to understand
I basically thought we were going to be the blonde character going postal

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Personally when I first heard the name "Yuppie Psycho" I immediately thought of Christian Bale, rather than anything remotely as fantastical as the actual game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
:same:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Pretty much. I thought this was going to be a game about killing your coworkers to get the big promotion.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

Pretty much. I thought this was going to be a game about killing your coworkers to get the big promotion.

Sounds like a fun alt story - Hugo pov

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

found this lp a couple days ago and binged it. game was real good! as a big scaredy cat i wouldn't have ever played this so thanks for this. that said, kinda felt like the ending didn't feel satisfying. maybe its because you got the good ending, but it all just tied up into a neat bow and everything and I guess I didn't really like that. like kate was being kinda misdirected as the witch and you had to "stab" the witch in that dream to save her... but nothing ever really came of that. Also drat near all the devil stuff with brian, seemed like it was going in some silent hill direction that was just dropped.

that said, the story foreshadowed drat near everything, had some fantastic pacing, and everything to do with 'tadpole' was utterly great. maybe other endings or dlc will make things feel a bit better for me.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

yamiaainferno posted:

The way I see it, Kate became a "giant mummy with hair" for the same reason that we saw her singing headless in Misterio: Hugo goads Brian into summoning the witch, through the act of decapitation.

The video is foreshadowing. When Brian does it, Kate becomes The Witch because Brian did that ritual specifically to her. I presume if they had picked Sosa instead, she'd be the Witch in that scene, etc.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
I'm actually hoping some DLC will add to the story. I'd definitely agree that the emotional and narrative high point of the game is the party, and things take a bit of a downward turn from there.

I will say that I'm genuinely regretful that I didn't do a re-take of the underwater office scene where the snakes bite you. It's just so bizarre to me that they took so long! I realize some of it is that I knew where things were, but do understand that the ending you saw really isn't the one you'd experience playing the game, for a few reasons:

1) We did Chapman's quest, so the swimming segment didn't have the very limited oxygen pressure, so that was calm and relaxing rather than claustrophobic and terrifying
2) The snakes just WERE NOT BITING, so that segment was also kind of dumpy. I played through it again and noticed the snakes took forever to come out again. I wonder if they were nerfed, and that's kind of a bummer.
3) Keep in mind that there are air pipes with bubbles in that final section too, so you'd be staying near the bubbles while getting vomited on, bitten by snakes, and frantically searching the office for pieces of paper.

With all that in mind, the whole segment with the snake at the end is basically supposed to be the victory lap I think - I can't imagine failing it (unless you just can't put together to use the bells, but, c'mon.)

I'm interested in the devil, at this point. It's clear that the devil and witch and considered twin figures of equal importance in corrupted sintranet - even in Corvo's mess of one. It's also clear that Pasternack is meant to represent the devil in some sense - he's reflected in the mirror as the devil (also notice that the witch symbol inverted is "2", which I take to mean devil/witch, but could ALSO represent the duality aspect of the game that I've been talking about).

But the odd thing is, every time we see Pastnernack interact with another manifestation of the devil, he's more or less explicitly rejected. I only showed off one answer you can give to Spader, but all three answers he basically rejects.

If you say "for my friends", he fires back that you've known them for all of three hours, so really you're probably just doing it for yourself.
If you say "I don't know why I'm doing it", he says that's kind of pointless and dumb.
If you say "so I can prove to myself that I can do things", he says that's unsatisfying and leads nowhere.

Also, the devil in Corvo's sintranet asks why he should pick you, and you're speechless, so you just get shanked.

I think the image being hammered home here is what we already kind of know about Pasternack - rather than being a dedicated, interested witch hunter, he's a basically good-natured everyman. So does the devil actually accept us? Or are we rejected by the devil? Is that good or bad? Obviously, we stopped the witch, which is a plus. How does the witch relate to the devil? Is she aware? Does the witch know about Spader? About you(r possible possession)?

That's the biggest unsolved corner of this, for me.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

I suppose it's a case of what makes Pasternack different.
What is it that seperates him from the rest; that makes him different from everyone to take up the mantle of Hunter before him?
He doesn't have the experience of previous Hunters, nor their tools or any other aid they might have possessed.
And in that, he's hardly alone: The number of hunters before him can attest to that; each and every one failing in some way or another.
And yet, he lived. Relatively unscathed, even. He failed to kill the witch, but lived. The out of control familiar was brought to heel, and its owner liberated once more.
But while this separates Pasternack from the others before him, 'succeeding' where others have failed, it can hardly be considered the differentiating detail we seek.
Pasternack lived, yes, but why*?
Was he the first to deal with the forest goblin? The first to avoid the monsters they can, and fight the others through trickery and cleverness rather than head-on?
But there were a truly great deal of hunters, so surely at least some Hunters did at least one of these things...

Mrrh. I suppose Pasternack knows this, and that's why he gets shanked: He doesn't have a reason.
It quite almost literally could have been anyone else in his shoes, and they could have done just as well as Pasternack right up to his eventual 'success'.

On that note, I've a hunch: The Devil in Sintranet made clear they don't want just anyone, they want someone special; someone who would not merely attempt like all the others, but actually kill the Witch. Or at least, do something different.
Pasternack could have done something when the sintranet devil asked what made Pasternack different; answered the question, shanked the devil first, pushed the other pasternacks off the edge to get away... Anything at all. But he didn't, and I suspect that's why he failed.

Still, I do wonder: were Pasternack to visit the devil in sintranet again; would they have an answer after all this, any answer at all, or would they still disappoint?

(*The semi-joke answer is that Pasternack might very well be the first Hunter to try hiding under tables.)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Maybe it's a little on the nose, but Pasternack is the first witch hunter...that doesn't want to kill the witch?

It's established pretty early that there have been many other witch hunters before him, and in this world there are professional witch hunters. Presumably, their goal is to kill the witch from the start. When that doesn't work to solve the problem, Sintra Corp decides to try recruiting randos to do the job (either because professionals have all failed or because all the pros are dead). And upon hearing that their new job is to "hunt a witch", they go immediately to the kill route.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

That’s interesting, and begs the follow-up question: does Pasternak ever actually decide to do anything? It seems like most of the game he’s just directed to do things - by Hugo, by Rei, by Kate - and while he shows ingenuity and grit in solving the puzzles and beating his foes, he’s only ever doing it because someone told him to.

If the Devil is the counter to the Witch, he has what Brian seems to lack: agency and drive.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
Thank you for another excellent LP!

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Are we getting an alternate ending episode or did I miss that somehow?

Matterthief
Feb 18, 2011

Arcanuse posted:

(*The semi-joke answer is that Pasternack might very well be the first Hunter to try hiding under tables.)

When I first played through this game I had the impression that Kate was the Witch/Snake the entire time and the reason why Brian succeeded when others did not is due to him being the first person to befriend her instead of sticking to the hierarchy of the company and society. I assumed that the Witch was just hanging out on the first floor just to watch out for new hunters and Brian was just both friendly and helpful enough for her to throw him a bone once in a while and give him a few hints.

It was pretty suspicious that she survived the toxic gas for so long when the bodies of most non-monsters are near the entrance of the gas. Helping her get the marketing people back allowed him to use one of them as bait to get the picture AND introduced him to the IT guy. Hell, I just finished getting the story from FG about his encounters with the witch so when Kate kissed us at the party it was more of an, "Oh poo poo!" moment rather than an, "Awww" moment. Her turning into the bandage monster sealed the deal for me.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hwurmp posted:

Personally when I first heard the name "Yuppie Psycho" I immediately thought of Christian Bale, rather than anything remotely as fantastical as the actual game.
Ditto. Good LP btw.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the axe scene from american psycho would've fit in pretty well tbh. pasternack sitting down on the couch all dazed, listening to not-bale walk around and monologue, growing tension, was that an axe?, etc

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Bacter's next thing is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896824

Looks weird!

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Wait, I thought we were going to get an alternate endings video

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Hey, that's RIGHT!

You WERE!

(Management thanks you for your vigilance)

Edit: The sound isn't broken in the "witch's son" part - the snake bites your ears, and it mutes all sound.

Also, I had to work REALLY HARD to get that bit - the snakes are actually bugged and won't bite you sometimes, so you have to enter and exit the elevator. It also takes like ten minutes!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 23, 2019

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Thank you for the LP. Really cool game and an excellent presentation of it.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

They REALLY must have nerfed those things, cuz they were vicious little bastards when I played this game.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

They absolutely did - I remember the section as panicky, and when recording that I was going to show you getting bitten by all of them, but it’s like three minutes between bites!

Glad you liked the LP - it was a real treat to play!

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?

Tallgeese posted:

Strange. I seem to remember Robo-Domori used to intercept Hugo when he tries to attack Brian and punch him into the wall, and "then" he runs away, regardless of ending. Did they change that in the patch?

So was this just false memory or did they in fact patch that out?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Oh yeah - maybe I’ll see if I have a save file with this!

If you don’t get the athame, the only difference is that Hugo charges Rei with it shouting “SHE’S THE WITCH” and robo-Domori punches him into the wall.

If you do that, you get the Hugo ending where it shows him stealing the ID from the dead body. If you do snatch the athame, you get to see Hugo breaking with Corvo and then jumping from the building.

Matterthief
Feb 18, 2011

Bacter posted:

Oh yeah - maybe I’ll see if I have a save file with this!

If you don’t get the athame, the only difference is that Hugo charges Rei with it shouting “SHE’S THE WITCH” and robo-Domori punches him into the wall.

If you do that, you get the Hugo ending where it shows him stealing the ID from the dead body. If you do snatch the athame, you get to see Hugo breaking with Corvo and then jumping from the building.

I found a video that shows that section. It should be at 46:13

https://youtu.be/Ij03g4Y2FfI?t=2773

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Thank you again for this LP. The name of the game really has a lot of crazy interpretations...