Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I just bought a proper knife from Grief on day 1, lasted me all game

I fired a gun exactly once and that was more for the novelty of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Oxxidation posted:

I just bought a proper knife from Grief on day 1, lasted me all game

I fired a gun exactly once and that was more for the novelty of it

Pathologic Thead: I fired a gun exactly once and that was more for the novelty of it

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I'm on Day 9 and I'm struggling in the Abattoir. I know what to do, it's just that... the combat system loving sucks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My first and only gunshot was a headshot and then I sold it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXNpWkOpe5A

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The first time I tried to fire a gun it was broken and the reload animation is legit like 35 seconds long and I got stabbed by a thug.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Equeen posted:

I'm on Day 9 and I'm struggling in the Abattoir. I know what to do, it's just that... the combat system loving sucks.

it sucks but its also very very easy. upper cut them three times, back away for stamina, upper cut them three times

every killable enemy in the game can be stunlocked. combat is trivial if you arent getting mobbed

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I never even had a gun until the very end of the game when I got a rifle off a soldier I backstabbed when I was trying to get food.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
fun fact: you can pop soldiers in the head now with a rifle and its a 1shot kill which means free food, bullets and more rifles! and army gear on day 9!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Equeen posted:

hold down C to sneak. creep up behind one while its back is turned, hit them with a stealth attack, and rapid-fire regular punches while they're stunned. they should hit the floor without even getting to turn around to face you

no, the game never explains that sneak attacks are a thing

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

Oxxidation posted:

hold down C to sneak. creep up behind one while its back is turned, hit them with a stealth attack, and rapid-fire regular punches while they're stunned. they should hit the floor without even getting to turn around to face you

no, the game never explains that sneak attacks are a thing

It does explain it in one of the loading screens, but definitely would've been nice to know outside of a screen you might not see in your playthrough.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Replaying the game and I have 4 Shmowders on day 3. #blessed

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arrhythmia posted:

Replaying the game and I have 4 Shmowders on day 3. #blessed

Later: it is day 4 and I have somehow caught the plague 5 times

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

The single dumbest mistake I made coming back to this game came from not remembering what shmowders are. I read the description and thought they were riskier than they actually were, and literally stashed one in a cache because I had nothing else to give back. Capella would probably not be infected if I didn't do that early on. It's a wonder that I managed to save the other six on the list.

I got the nocturnal ending and I feel like it confused me more than anything else, because I took the destruction of the Polyhedron that sheltered the children and was conceived by the people in town that cared most about transcending humanity, of moving away from the Earth, as something Aspity and the kin would be happy to see destroyed. In retrospect I understand the thing about it being the knife close to the heart, that removing it would cause blood to flow and that isn't what the kin want, but still, throughout the game I was under the impression that the symbol of human transcendence was NOT workable with those who wished for a collective return-to-the-earth, not that the miracles of the steppe and the tower are both one and the same, so having Aspity congratulate me for what I did feels very strange. I feel like I've misinterpreted things and I still don't know how to rework my understanding of what I was doing.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Flac posted:

I got the nocturnal ending and I feel like it confused me more than anything else, because I took the destruction of the Polyhedron that sheltered the children and was conceived by the people in town that cared most about transcending humanity, of moving away from the Earth, as something Aspity and the kin would be happy to see destroyed. In retrospect I understand the thing about it being the knife close to the heart, that removing it would cause blood to flow and that isn't what the kin want, but still, throughout the game I was under the impression that the symbol of human transcendence was NOT workable with those who wished for a collective return-to-the-earth, not that the miracles of the steppe and the tower are both one and the same, so having Aspity congratulate me for what I did feels very strange. I feel like I've misinterpreted things and I still don't know how to rework my understanding of what I was doing.

Have you gotten the other ending yet? it might help clarify a few things.

The ending you received was a result of the Town's contradiction going unresolved - you refused to give up on the Kin's primordial dreams, so they reclaimed the earth and the Udurgh survives.

Also Aspity's opinions don't necessarily represent those of the Kin as a whole.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

youcallthatatwist posted:

Have you gotten the other ending yet? it might help clarify a few things.

The ending you received was a result of the Town's contradiction going unresolved - you refused to give up on the Kin's primordial dreams, so they reclaimed the earth and the Udurgh survives.

Also Aspity's opinions don't necessarily represent those of the Kin as a whole.

I guess that's true with Aspity. My thing is, I did not see letting the tower be as clinging to the past, based on the kids' love for it and just...what it thematically represented to the people that built it. I don't know how I missed that its existence contradicts the ideal of the future for the town if you DIDN'T destroy it, I played the last couple days believing it was important to keep it intact in order to choose the future over the past, if we're putting it like Isidor would

I'll probably try for the other ending sometime later, but I screwed myself so bad on the 11th day as far as giving myself time for that day's quest, that I'm thinking of just replaying from the beginning.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I got to the end of day 1 and decided I wanted to try and be a bit more efficient with my time because I didn't have time to meet all the players I could have talked to. I'm not very far in so it doesn't bother me much resetting all the way from the beginning but in the future I'm wondering if there is a better solution.

It doesn't seem like I can save in multiple slots so I can't have a 'start of day 2' save file kept around or whatever. Is my only option to manually make back ups of the save files in appdata or maybe I just shouldn't bother?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Agent355 posted:

I got to the end of day 1 and decided I wanted to try and be a bit more efficient with my time because I didn't have time to meet all the players I could have talked to. I'm not very far in so it doesn't bother me much resetting all the way from the beginning but in the future I'm wondering if there is a better solution.

It doesn't seem like I can save in multiple slots so I can't have a 'start of day 2' save file kept around or whatever. Is my only option to manually make back ups of the save files in appdata or maybe I just shouldn't bother?

This one is going to be a little complex to answer. You can have as many game files as you want, and every game file can have as many save files as you want. You can make a new game file by starting a new game, and a new save file in the game by saving at a clock. You can access both of these from "load game" in the main menu. Each game will be Haruspex 1, Haruspex 2, etc, and each of them will have every save state you made throughout that game.

In short: you can totally have a day 2 save, it'll just be every save you made at day 2 onwards.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Agent355 posted:

Every save is it's own slot. Also, the game is structured so that you don't have enough time to do everything in you'r quest graph, it's impossible (except for day 1, and maybe day 2 if you already played through the game), you have to choose which tasks to prioritize in which others to sacrifice. So don't fret too much over missing things, you're not supposed to do everything.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 20, 2020

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ConfusedPig posted:

Every save is it's own slot. Also, the game is structured so that you don't have enough time to do everything in you'r quest graph, it's impossible (except for day 1, and maybe day 2 if you already played through the game), you have to choose which tasks to prioritize in which others to sacrifice. So don't fret too much over missing things, you're not supposed to do everything.

You can definitely do every quest in the quest log on every day, but you need to know what is going to happen on every day in advance.

Don't worry about missing things though. The loading screen's advice "Don't abuse time turning. Sometimes our failures can be more interesting than our successes" is absolutely true in this game.

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 20, 2020

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah I'm sure I'm going to end up missings out on things and making choices, I kind of knew a bit about the game before I started playing it. I just spent the first day piddling around and trading with kids and digging through garbage trying to figure out some stuff. I don't think I'll nessecarily go back and repeat every day to make a perfectly optimal run, but it felt wise to at least repeat the first day.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Agent355 posted:

Yeah I'm sure I'm going to end up missings out on things and making choices, I kind of knew a bit about the game before I started playing it. I just spent the first day piddling around and trading with kids and digging through garbage trying to figure out some stuff. I don't think I'll nessecarily go back and repeat every day to make a perfectly optimal run, but it felt wise to at least repeat the first day.

I restarted my first game just after the end of Day 2 too. I spent the first day just loving around inside other people's houses and had completely run out of resources.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Just beat the game on the intended difficulty while saving everyone (except the one character that is impossible to save), without dying, and rescuing two babies to boot. The game is much easier on the second go around once you know what's valuable, what isn't, and what the game is going to pull at each step of the way. There were a couple of sidequests I didn't get to see the first time around that were really cool, like Peter and Grace's friendship, the children siccing you on a murderer using the cache game, and the scene where you and Agayla try to run away. I still missed a couple items on the thought map that I'm wondering how to get. I'll post some pictures tomorrow to see if anyone knows what fills them out.

I now crave the other two routes.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

some thoughts are mutually exclusive with others

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Verviticus posted:

some thoughts are mutually exclusive with others

Well, for posterity then:

No clue what the thought next to herb one just south of the plague is.

I think I left the Rubin quest incomplete, as he never told me exactly what he was working on in his warehouse. I assume that I need to go visit him after I've distracted the kin long enough for him to make his escape on day 5. There's also one near the quest chain for investigating buildings hiding corpses on day 5 too. I assume that one is for actually investigating the house with the big hammering sound in it, instead of just loving off when the men in the building start swinging. There's a third one between the living blood plotline and the panacea experiments that I'm also unsure of.

One at the Olgimsky/Termitary plotline, which I assume has something to do with talking to Vlad the younger before you talk to Vlad Sr. Also Rubin's quest at the top. Either that one is "fail Rubin's quest and he dies" or "actually talk to him and find out what he's doing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Another thing to note about the thoughts is some of them will only show up if you fail at particular things. You will see gaps if you do too well.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

Well, for posterity then:

No clue what the thought next to herb one just south of the plague is.

quote:

I think I left the Rubin quest incomplete, as he never told me exactly what he was working on in his warehouse. I assume that I need to go visit him after I've distracted the kin long enough for him to make his escape on day 5. There's also one near the quest chain for investigating buildings hiding corpses on day 5 too. I assume that one is for actually investigating the house with the big hammering sound in it, instead of just loving off when the men in the building start swinging. There's a third one between the living blood plotline and the panacea experiments that I'm also unsure of.

the building inspection quest has a couple choices

basically if you look for the buildings you get a fakeout that has a guy boarded in a room upstairs because he has a flu - you can simply sneak past the guys in the lobby. you can choose to condemn this house. then theres another building that 'deathly quiet' and it has a plague room. then you can condemn it or not condemn it because a woman asks you not to. finally, maria is condemning a third house because she doesnt like how it looks and you can tell on her, and these all have thought bubbles. the maria ones are the guns and shackles right beside this screenshot

i think rubin escapes and you next see him asleep. maybe that bubble is if you let him die? i do not know what the gap to the right of hte udurgh's ear is. i think it might be if you ignore it

quote:

One at the Olgimsky/Termitary plotline, which I assume has something to do with talking to Vlad the younger before you talk to Vlad Sr. Also Rubin's quest at the top. Either that one is "fail Rubin's quest and he dies" or "actually talk to him and find out what he's doing.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Huh, that's the same text as the directly to the left if you don't let Grace do a seance for you and Isidor.

e: actually slightly different. The one to the left is "...to touch his ghost".

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 22, 2020

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
I'm almost done with my second full play-through with Pathologic 2, and I bought Pathologic Classic on Steam. Despite the original's jankiness, and my lack of heavy PC game experience, I'm still craving bleak, Russian survival content.

I've been thoroughly spoiled of the game's story, thanks Hbomberguy's video and watching a full Let's Play on Youtube, but is there any hot tips and tricks I should be aware of before I dive in later this week?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Verviticus posted:

the building inspection quest has a couple choices

basically if you look for the buildings you get a fakeout that has a guy boarded in a room upstairs because he has a flu - you can simply sneak past the guys in the lobby. you can choose to condemn this house. then theres another building that 'deathly quiet' and it has a plague room. then you can condemn it or not condemn it because a woman asks you not to. finally, maria is condemning a third house because she doesnt like how it looks and you can tell on her, and these all have thought bubbles. the maria ones are the guns and shackles right beside this screenshot

i think rubin escapes and you next see him asleep. maybe that bubble is if you let him die? i do not know what the gap to the right of hte udurgh's ear is. i think it might be if you ignore it

Wtf, I'm sorry flu guy.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

god drat the thought web is such a great idea and so well-executed. I need The Bachelor playthrough and jackass internal monologue in my life and I need it now

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm part way through day 4 and this game is great. I also hate everything.

I keep running around trying to stay ahead of objectives only to have 2 more pop up for every one I complete and I'm running low on resources and it's all hopeless, we're all gonna die.

I came back to my little home base on day 4 only to see a bunch of children hanging from the ceiling and a bird man mocking me and that's just not right.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Agent355 posted:

I'm part way through day 4 and this game is great. I also hate everything.

I keep running around trying to stay ahead of objectives only to have 2 more pop up for every one I complete and I'm running low on resources and it's all hopeless, we're all gonna die.

I came back to my little home base on day 4 only to see a bunch of children hanging from the ceiling and a bird man mocking me and that's just not right.

Keep posting about your run through please. :)

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

So question, on day 4 you get tasked to heal people in the theatre. The game says specifically you just need to lower their pain but I don't know if I should be using tinctures/antibiotics on them as well or just giving them some morphine. I don't have a good idea of where to get more antibiotics so I think maybe I should just be saving them for named NPCs who get infected.

E: I ended up rewinding back to a save at the start of day 2 on the same file because I realized that it's easier to keep gear topped off w/ repair than it is to repair it once it's almost broken and I had been discarding/trading away all my repair resources.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 22, 2020

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Agent355 posted:

So question, on day 4 you get tasked to heal people in the theatre. The game says specifically you just need to lower their pain but I don't know if I should be using tinctures/antibiotics on them as well or just giving them some morphine. I don't have a good idea of where to get more antibiotics so I think maybe I should just be saving them for named NPCs who get infected.

morphine. just morphine. don't do anything else to them beforehand or it'll fail the objective

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Agent355 posted:

E: I ended up rewinding back to a save at the start of day 2 on the same file because I realized that it's easier to keep gear topped off w/ repair than it is to repair it once it's almost broken and I had been discarding/trading away all my repair resources.

Morphine. Antibiotics can be got from bartering with children, pharmacies, and the hospital fund.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Caught back up to my previous place and finished day 4, question about the midnight wrap-up thing.

It said 'your inaction prevented the spread in' some district, what is it referring too? I didn't have any unfinished tasks so I don't quite get it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Agent355 posted:

Caught back up to my previous place and finished day 4, question about the midnight wrap-up thing.

It said 'your inaction prevented the spread in' some district, what is it referring too? I didn't have any unfinished tasks so I don't quite get it.

lara wanted you to deliver a water barrel to her district, but all the barrels you could find would have been infected. there's no good way to resolve this quest if you try to go through with it - delivering an infected barrel infects her district, and raising the issue to dankovsky just motivates his dumb rear end to destroy all the water barrels he can find, clean or dirty. the best solution is to just ignore it, as you did

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I love the way this game looks when it's raining, it should rain all the time.

start of day 6 and I'm treating a doghead for plague, nearby doghead offers to trade a leash for a schmowder. I knew I should have hung onto that leash

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 23, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

lara wanted you to deliver a water barrel to her district, but all the barrels you could find would have been infected. there's no good way to resolve this quest if you try to go through with it - delivering an infected barrel infects her district, and raising the issue to dankovsky just motivates his dumb rear end to destroy all the water barrels he can find, clean or dirty. the best solution is to just ignore it, as you did

wait, if you dont report it, it doesnt get more people/districts infected?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

lol non-player Dankovsky strikes again.