Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

How poo poo is the PS4 version of this game?

I dunno if it ever got patched, but as of launch reports sounded Real Bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
it's not unplayable, but it's objectively worse than the PC version - the main differences are constant lengthy loading screens and occasional crashes

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
Minor complaint...
I'm on Day 5 where Rubin is surrounded by worm people, and I have to fight all of them. No deaths up to that point - then I died 3 times in a row, and 10 hours of fear & tension couldn't have deflated faster :(. Combat is not great in this game, I have no weapons, and there's no way out of this scenario except combat. Walkthroughs say to glitch their AI by running away, which deflated the tension more lol. But even running got me stuck in a punch loop, and my health goes from 90 to 0 in half of a second. I'm more upset by the death punishments than anything else. This area has to be an oversight.
It sucks my only way forward is to break the ai, quickly load saves etc. That's not unusual for games though, so I guess it's a testament to how immersed I was before.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

FalconImpala posted:

Minor complaint...
I'm on Day 5 where Rubin is surrounded by worm people, and I have to fight all of them. No deaths up to that point - then I died 3 times in a row, and 10 hours of fear & tension couldn't have deflated faster :(. Combat is not great in this game, I have no weapons, and there's no way out of this scenario except combat. Walkthroughs say to glitch their AI by running away, which deflated the tension more lol. But even running got me stuck in a punch loop, and my health goes from 90 to 0 in half of a second. I'm more upset by the death punishments than anything else. This area has to be an oversight.
It sucks my only way forward is to break the ai, quickly load saves etc. That's not unusual for games though, so I guess it's a testament to how immersed I was before.

You don't have weapons?
Edit: But also, there are very few things you actually HAVE to do.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 18, 2020

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Wow, a cow made of butter. My girls would love it. In fact, the first sentence Caroline ever said was "I like butter"
All broken shortly before. This is my first playthru, not like I'm well-stocked lol. Hopefully there isn't more forced combat, a death loop just took me out of it a lot.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Almost all combat is avoidable, although sometimes it might not feel that way. Worms are particularly nasty to fight, apparently there's a rhythm to it but I never got the hang of it. One handy newbie tip that the game does a really bad time of explaining to you - you can sneak by holding C and if you hold the mouse button down behind an enemy with a knife or scalpel you will backstab them, which does a ton of damage and you can usually finish them off before they get a chance to hit back at you. If they've already seen you it won't do you much good but there are a lot of situations where backstabbing will be much simpler than a straight fight.

For that specific encounter: You simply have to avoid going to meet Rubin at all. Take Bad Grief's advice and just leave him alone and he will be fine. The worms will only find him by following you. If you don't lead them to him, you'll never have to fight them.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

For that specific encounter: You simply have to avoid going to meet Rubin at all. Take Bad Grief's advice and just leave him alone and he will be fine. The worms will only find him by following you. If you don't lead them to him, you'll never have to fight them.

But you'll also never learn what he was doing, so you do kinda lose out here.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I just remembered that I need to finish this game. Played it up to Day 2 or 3 and then forgot about it for a few months. Any advice on not getting punched in the back of the head? :v: Or anything else to smooth over the rough edges IRT fighting/running away.

Can you go through the game without killing anybody? Is it beneficial to do so? Can I murder the town with my own hands before the plague gets them?

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
That Rubin questline is insane. The first time I was playing I just decided to give up and started a new game. I dunno if I HAD to, but it's what I wanted, considering I knew so much more about the game, and just wanted to see what I can do differently. Died like 5-7 times.

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Finally finished, and I'm still reeling from it. From knowing nothing about this game a week ago, it has a special place in my heart now, and I'm obsessed with the language & characters & music (really, look up Theodor Bastard). This is a magical experience. It's terrifying but I still feel like that town is home- I don't know how many times I would stop and look around at how beautiful everything is.
My tiny 'theory' that I haven't seen written yet: The metanarrative of "actor in a stageplay" is just a tasteful allusion to "player of a game". The closest visual metaphor (to playing a game) is improvising on a stage, and that philosophy extends to everything, like replacing tutorial popups with stagehands. The player/actor is separated from Artemy repeatedly, not to drive a wedge between you & the character, but to point out the gap between the player's goals & their capabilities. (In other stolen words, the player vs. the archetype they want to be.) What choices do you make when ethics, luxuries & time are taken away, and your own survival has to be the first priority? On the other hand, maybe the thesis is "if you're desperate to survive, every success is infinitely more meaningful."

I'm desperate for more info so I've been reading translated interviews from the developers. My only problem with the game, the poor stealth/forced combat areas is actually their main problem as well. I guess they wanted to make it more varied but didn't have time. Bachelor's Path might even be a different "genre"? Apparently they think people won't enjoy the same gameplay with a different story? I'm not sure what that means. Also, apparently some of the English translators used Twin Peaks as a dialogue reference lol. Mask dialogue was almost entirely translated into iambic pentameter.
I'm thinking of buying Patho Classic because I really wanna know what's up with Clara (and because of the Mongolian-Half-Life music). Is this not a banger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1BqcVJQB-A

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
man, the combat/stealth really isnt that bad

FalconImpala
Oct 21, 2018

Verviticus posted:

man, the combat/stealth really isnt that bad

I got through it but it's not as fleshed-out as the other mechanics. It did sound like a time/budget thing

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

This really is a game that I feel incredibly lucky to have played. There aren’t many games in that category, honestly.

Pathologic 2, in a weird way, almost feels like an outsider art video game. The actual “gameplay” isn’t that strange compared to most games: WSAD, attacking, stealth, eating, health, etc are all super common obviously. But this weird little Russian developer manages to, within the confines of a pretty simple gameplay system, divine a way to explore meaning and choice within a game context that AAA and indies alike really struggle with. It’s astonishing. I struggled more with a single cure option in Pathologic 2 than every BioWare & Obsidian choice combined.

It’s been months now since I played through it and I think about Pathologic 2 more than almost any other game I’ve played. Disco Elysium has better “writing”, but Pathologic 2 has a better totality. It just feels coherent in a way you almost never encounter in games.

gently caress, I just love this weird game so much. I wish more people would play it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I said it many times in this thread, but yeah, I love this strange little game too. It, The Void and the original are all games that can put my into a thoughtful mood every time I remember them.

FalconImpala posted:

I got through it but it's not as fleshed-out as the other mechanics. It did sound like a time/budget thing

They did change it relatively late in development, I remember the combat in the Marble's Nest demo being way different than the release version's.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
One cool language thing I read that your comment about the masks being in iambic pentameter reminded me of: when the plague speaks to you, it (nearly) exclusively uses word with a Germanic origin instead of a Latin or Greek origin.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arrhythmia posted:

One cool language thing I read that your comment about the masks being in iambic pentameter reminded me of: when the plague speaks to you, it (nearly) exclusively uses word with a Germanic origin instead of a Latin or Greek origin.

There's lots of interesting behind the scenes stuff that the translators talked about on the Kickstarter page during development, where they were trying to find ways to get across the depth of the original Russian language writing because the double and triple meanings of things wouldn't directly translate.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I just got into this game, made it to day 3, had horrible issues with hunger and instead of savescumming a ton I just set the hunger difficulty down to minimum for the rate it increases. gently caress it

On the other hand I left my 8 or so deaths (all but 2 due to hunger) in the file counting them. I did exit angrily around the 6th or 7th death, did I miss something I should have seen that I see referenced a lot? I can set it back to 5 if so.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

mastershakeman posted:

I just got into this game, made it to day 3, had horrible issues with hunger and instead of savescumming a ton I just set the hunger difficulty down to minimum for the rate it increases. gently caress it

On the other hand I left my 8 or so deaths (all but 2 due to hunger) in the file counting them. I did exit angrily around the 6th or 7th death, did I miss something I should have seen that I see referenced a lot? I can set it back to 5 if so.

You missed a very important decision at death 7

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Its too bad the studio fell apart but thanks for what they produced. Unfortunely they never got the hang of actual gameplay. I think they understood their shortcomings when they make Eureka, but it was also awkward and not carefree as they intended. Pathologic one was a profound experience, so profound in fact that I simply never found it in me to do haruspex or impostress walkthrough. I put it off and never did. But gamepley was atrocious, run very slowly in labyrinth of a city hoping to make it in time. Void - what is considered their most polished work is the same problem, instead of being immerssed I was constantly worried if I have enough Green? or gold? Maybe I should combine some blue and red to make green? Instead of immersion it is a resource management simulator, IMO the lets play that this goon made is a better experience, and he's done a stellar job

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Sekenr posted:

Its too bad the studio fell apart but thanks for what they produced. Unfortunely they never got the hang of actual gameplay. I think they understood their shortcomings when they make Eureka, but it was also awkward and not carefree as they intended. Pathologic one was a profound experience, so profound in fact that I simply never found it in me to do haruspex or impostress walkthrough. I put it off and never did. But gamepley was atrocious, run very slowly in labyrinth of a city hoping to make it in time. Void - what is considered their most polished work is the same problem, instead of being immerssed I was constantly worried if I have enough Green? or gold? Maybe I should combine some blue and red to make green? Instead of immersion it is a resource management simulator, IMO the lets play that this goon made is a better experience, and he's done a stellar job

i dont believe that the studio fell apart

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Verviticus posted:

i dont believe that the studio fell apart

Ok than, maybe I was wrong? I thought they did, didn't they post how they will now pursue their own projects?

In any case, I feel in my age when I haven't much time to play games their demo Marble Nest was their most amazing work. Not only did they optimize the personality of Dankovskiy to 11 which is such terrifying force of good that its terrible, even mimes are shocked by what he does. But also utter bone-chilling horror of such a decisive and bright person gradually becoming subdued by realization of what is happening.

When I played Dankovsky in P1, I chose mostly tame options because I am a, well, a compassionate person. And I only "got" what they intended for the character in Marble Nest. Maybe a bit in P1 when he gets to meet Death and instead of any normal reaction he is giddy from joy that he gets to insult his mortal enemy, tell her to gently caress off.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 11:48 on May 30, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Ive spent all of day 5?6? Looking for a shmowder, found one, didn't have the trade stuff needed, got it and came back and the child was gone. loving hell, I can only find kids in one district and keep not getting what I need. Can you keep reloading to get different inventories?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite part of Cargo! is that the 'bad' ending is just the cap to a game-long troll.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Ive spent all of day 5?6? Looking for a shmowder, found one, didn't have the trade stuff needed, got it and came back and the child was gone. loving hell, I can only find kids in one district and keep not getting what I need. Can you keep reloading to get different inventories?

Shmowders are the rarest and most valuable item in the game. You can keep rezoning to get different inventories, but you should bite the bullet on this one.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

you can save somewhere and walk outside and there will be a new set of people

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Ugh, kept seeing a thought to check in on the kids on day 7, could never find murky , and

rip. Should I savescum? Or should I just roll with it. I didn't want kids to die but I'm annoyed I kept checking the lair and couldn't find her

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

mastershakeman posted:

Ugh, kept seeing a thought to check in on the kids on day 7, could never find murky , and

rip. Should I savescum? Or should I just roll with it. I didn't want kids to die but I'm annoyed I kept checking the lair and couldn't find her

The answer is always roll with it. There's an achievement locked behind Murky's death if that helps - "Witness all dreams-including those you'd rather not"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sokani posted:

The answer is always roll with it. There's an achievement locked behind Murky's death if that helps - "Witness all dreams-including those you'd rather not"

no wonder that trophy has such a low completion rate

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

My favorite part of Cargo! is that the 'bad' ending is just the cap to a game-long troll.

I want to hear more about cargo. considering buying it because it's so weird and unlike pathologic or the void no one ever talks about it, I want to know what cargo's deal is

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Lol I died about ten times in the day 9-10 sequence even after changing all the relevant difficulty sliders to max. Then I finally found the scalpel and still died another time before finally pulling it off. Good lord

I avoided fighting the whole game so that was very rough

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ninjewtsu posted:

I want to hear more about cargo. considering buying it because it's so weird and unlike pathologic or the void no one ever talks about it, I want to know what cargo's deal is

It's kind of their attempt at a 'casual' game, but also poking fun at their heavier games like Pathologic and The Void and what people want from the developer.

You have to play with the Buddies (the tiny fat babymen) to generate FUN, the greatest energy source known to anyone ever, after the world ended. You build vehicles out of parts like that one Banjo Kazooie game to do this and also play a very lovely Guitar Hero at one point. At one point the demigods of the island you're on decide they found an even better source of FUN, which is a lovely smiley face sun, and throws the second greatest energy source, Color (from The Void) into the ocean by the thousands of gallons. You spend most of The Void clinging to a few precious drops of it.

The end of the game is either you saved the Buddies and didn't murder them and you had a fun time, or you didn't give a poo poo and let them die, then the demigods/developers kill your character while declaring that at the least, they had fun with it :v:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Sokani posted:

honestly i felt bad enough i savescummed. then powered through from days 7 to the ending in two days, wow. gotta say the way i'd recommend this to anyone is turning the hunger slider down, maybe equipment, and going from there . the story is cool and you're pressed hard enough even without that, whereas knowing where caches are and what to trade for and to who make it way simpler for a second playthrough

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

my advice is the opposite - i think savescumming when you feel really pressured is infinitely better than turning down the pressure. the game just 'the story' - theres a coherent theme that you lose out on if you just play it as a walking simulator

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

been playing this game for a few weeks and just finished it. was fuckin dope

i figured the project was dead but i saw they just released the ps4 port a couple months ago. what's the latest news on if the rest of the game will happen?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The last I heard, probably late last year ish, was that they were working on a mobile game and would try to use the proceeds from that to hire and re-hire people to do the other campaigns. The mobile game was in a prototype stage around that time but as far as I know still hasn't been shown.

Bless their hearts, they're gonna try, but it's going to be a long wait if ever I'd estimate.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if they did another kickstarter id pay

e: Ok plot question is it possible to get Rubin to tell you what he's cutting up? He kept telling me he'd tell me later then he slept forever then stopped going to the hospital right when things went to poo poo then tried to join the army on the last day before I talked him out of it (then fled the town anyway to go die in the steppe along with like another 2/3 of the ungrateful npcs id been keeping alive forever)

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 9, 2020

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
so i watched the other ending on youtube, im glad i made the choice i preferred. one question remains

why did oyun kill burakh? i missed that conversation bit

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shear Modulus posted:

if they did another kickstarter id pay

e: Ok plot question is it possible to get Rubin to tell you what he's cutting up? He kept telling me he'd tell me later then he slept forever then stopped going to the hospital right when things went to poo poo then tried to join the army on the last day before I talked him out of it (then fled the town anyway to go die in the steppe along with like another 2/3 of the ungrateful npcs id been keeping alive forever)

In Pathologic 1 you find out, I forget how you do in 2. It's Simon Kain though.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

so i watched the other ending on youtube, im glad i made the choice i preferred. one question remains

why did oyun kill burakh? i missed that conversation bit

He found out that Burakh was going to summon the plague and, perhaps rightly, figured that Burakh was making a terrible mistake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Late game chat Oyun was also simmering over his giant inferiority complex and resentment over being seen as a collaborator in the extinction of the kin where burakh was honored as menkhu. I always felt the sand pest was really just his excuse