Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

sounds fascinating, I like their distinction between playing a very cerebral and detached lunacy during these same events compared to the extremely raw and physical dangers of survival as haruspex. Hope they get to finish it and that it all comes together well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah super stoked that they've managed to work on it. Maybe 5 years between releases can turn out to be a blessing in disguise if they thought of enough new ideas that the game manages a complete tonal shift.

The most exciting news to me is this part:

quote:

If you were working on an acceptable prototype for so long, how much would it take for a full release?

Firstly, "Know by Heart" is out, and "Franz" is already on the way — a lot of the team is free now. And secondly, at the end of last year we entered into an agreement with a large well-known investor. And despite how feverish the world is now, our agreements are still in place. Therefore, we expanded the team and this year we took up production in full force.

That's the best possible news to hear imo

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I'm very relieved to hear they're doing okay despite everything. I resigned myself to a long wait if ever mindset long ago for more P2 so that doesn't ruffle me at all. I still have no idea how all those ideas translate into a game, but it does sound really cool

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm personally glad for a lengthy break before revisiting P2 considering everything that happened about 2 months after I first played at the end of 2019 lol

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, I just kinda grimly expected that they were swept in the insanity currently going on in their region. Knowing that they are OK, still developing games and possibly even in best shape they have been in a while thanks to that investor is a pretty big relief.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I finally played Know by Heart last night and I'm very glad IPL is still kicking, I hope I never live to see the day they call it quits. It was like a 6 hour long Charlie Kaufman film but with his inherent weirdness replaced by even more Russian brand melancholy. There is no one else who does quite what IPL do and their voice has always been so unique.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Holy poo poo, I didn't expect them to do something that different.
Glad to hear they're in good shape and even see some ideas about when the game will be at least in alpha.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
https://twitter.com/IcePickLodge/status/1700072670107160751

Well, the good news is, Bachelor is still in the plans and I'm assuming the work is being done according whatever the hell this is.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Vookatos posted:

https://twitter.com/IcePickLodge/status/1700072670107160751

Well, the good news is, Bachelor is still in the plans and I'm assuming the work is being done according whatever the hell this is.

excited for whatever new world crisis will be coming to delay this iteration of the bachelor scenario

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
They said that Haruspex's survival game mechanics were outdated and they want to implement the other characters differently. I predict Bachelor will be a gacha phone game. Changeling will be a bimonthly curated box of snacks.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
box of snakes

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

well it wasn't a world crisis but Unity being dumb as gently caress sure could alter things for our Pathologic pals

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Day 1640: In Which The Bachelor Has To Calculate A Fee

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Ice Pick Lodge's newest game is out now

https://twitter.com/IcePickLodge/status/1713866428359565727

surprise, it's extremely loving weird. really could not possibly prepare you for how weird it is. it's like having a Tamagotchi girlfriend inside your phone who'll kick you out of the house if you're boring but then get mad when you don't come reply to her "come home I need you" text immediately. it's free and it's very good

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'd go for it but random push notifications at night sound very annoying lol and I don't really game on my phone. How often does that occur?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I woke up to maybe 15 notifications from Franz today but it was just the same like 5~ sequential messages sent a couple different times

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 17, 2023

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Like three years after my first playthrough of the game I finally got around to replaying it and man, Pathologic 2 is such a good game. My second playthrough really sent home for me how much it nails the classic survival horror feeling, by virtue of the fact that my second time through, when I knew what I was doing, was so much easier than my initial run. I saved everyone, never died, and was never even really in serious trouble (I got kind of lucky with infection rolls and only had 3 or so non-scripted infections through the game, but I was also giving everybody at risk + tinctures and I would say a good 95% of the time if I hadn't done that, the person would have been infected). I ended up with so many shmowders that I went around and cured everyone that got sick on day 11 even though there's no reason to because the game ends before they'll make a death roll, just to kind of flex on the game, and still had spares.

A key feature of good survival horror to me is that it feels a lot harder than it actually is, because the game gives you enough resources to get past its obstacles even if you're being far from perfect with efficiency, but not so many that you ever feel comfortable. Pathologic 2 I think achieves this by the way it just drops you right in the deep end and forces you to figure it out as you go - there are a ton of lessons I did learn from my first playthrough, but I was scrambling so much just to keep my head above the water that I barely got to put any of them into practice. The second time around, I knew that I needed to devote some time to gathering herbs, especially at night when they're a lot easier to see. I also went to the theatre every night, and the dead item shop, something I only did once in my first playthrough. I also made sure to buy the revolver on day 2 while it was still available and oh boy did that make the combat a lot easier to deal with. Not so easy that I went out of my way to get into fights, because often the loot wasn't worth the bullet, but death in combat was a pretty common occurrence in my first run and the big reason for that was that I didn't have a gun. It also helped a lot knowing which side stuff was worth doing and what was better skipping - I still ended up doing a lot more side stuff than was strictly "optimal", although some of that was just because it was stuff I'd missed the first time around and wanted to see it.

Honestly I kind of want to do a third playthrough now just to try more stuff that I learned from the second - I still didn't do a lot of looting of plagued houses in this go around (although more than the first time - I made sure to rescue the babies since I skipped that on playthrough 1), mostly because the buildup gets really harsh towards the end and I didn't understand until very late that you really need every clothing slot filled with the best available stuff to keep up. I also got a better handle on what stuff I need to haul around with me constantly vs. what can sit in storage and I can just make a trip back when I need it. Also funny enough I kind of want to do more doctor stuff - not really because it'd be "better" since honestly I never felt like the whole diagnostic/antibiotic process was actually worthwhile (if someone important got sick I'd just give them a shmowder, problem solved), but just because it feels like it could be an interesting optional challenge to see how long I can keep people alive without using miracles. I also never really did too many autopsies on people because I was a little over-cautious with reputation (I ended up with like, everywhere maxed out all the time) and getting into the organ trade just seems like it'd be fun to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
https://twitter.com/IcePickLodge/status/1741386856644632816
A new year's miracle! Bachelor news!