Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I just got the banner ad and it's excellent. Unfortunately, I already come here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Glad the ad’s already working!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

Is there a mod that replaces the lovely mobile port's graphics with the original sprites?

I look occasionally for that and FFVI with no luck. I think there might be one beta or something but it hasn't been updated in a long time.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1133235359108673537

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Man, Bard vs Garula is a slog. I mean, I guess it's not as bad as party comps that struggle against Byblos though.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

FF7 Four (Three?) Materia Fiesta when.

Shyfted One posted:

Man, Bard vs Garula is a slog. I mean, I guess it's not as bad as party comps that struggle against Byblos though.

Not as bad of a slog as Chemist vs Garula, even with the addition of the Healing Staff. It's safe as hell, but you do basically no damage since Turtle Shells don't exist until immediately after that. It's basically the last big gate before the game falls to its knees and weeps openly at you.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 28, 2019

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

KataraniSword posted:

Not as bad of a slog as Chemist vs Garula, even with the addition of the Healing Staff. It's safe as hell, but you do basically no damage since Turtle Shells don't exist until immediately after that. It's basically the last big gate before the game falls to its knees and weeps openly at you.

Except you can chain-Charm Garula, and it's safe, unlike Thief or Bard vs Garula.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Thief was my worst Garula experience and involved some Elven Mantle luck IIRC. White Mage was also terrible. Chemist was a distant third.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm lovin' it - Your guide to M

There's been some discussion of what M is and if new players should care, so I thought I'd write a little thing.

Wait, does M stand for maths? I don't like maths
Here's your tl;dr - if you get more M, you do more damage, and M increases with Level but not every level, so use Carbybot in IRC or Discord to see how much you need to grind if you want more damage.

OK, so what is M?
M is the 13th letter of the English alphabet, the 1st letter in the word multiplier, and the name given to a certain variable in FF5's damage formulae by the author of the FFV Algorithms Guide.

How M is calculated depends on the type of damage you're doing, but it usually depends on your Level and either your Strength or your Magic. The damage formula scales linearly with M - that means if you have double the M, you do double the damage. This also means an increase matters more if you're starting small, so increasing your M can be really helpful with weak early-game starts like Thief and White Mage.

What's all this about calculating your M? Doesn't the game do that already?
With how the calculation for M works, increasing your Level or your strength by 1 only changes M by a small fraction. The game doesn't like fractions and rounds things down until you get over the next whole number. This means it can take multiple levels to increase your M.

That's where Carbybot comes in! She's a computer, and computers are better than maths at you. It's in the name and everything. Using the command .mcalc, you can tell Carby your stats, and she'll give you both your current M and at what level it'll increase next. If you go try it out, it'll guide you through what you need to type, but I'll go into detail here anyway to satisfy my writing obsession.

The nitty gritty
There are 7 different kinds of M in FFV. Most weapons use what Carby calls physical M, which is based on Level and Strength, and most spells use magic M, which is based on Level and - shockingly - Magic. Fists M is used for punching, whether or not you have Barehanded, and is also based on Level and Strength but uses a different formula.

Chicken and rune M are pretty similar, being used for the Chicken Knife and various "Rune" weapons respectively. They use Level and Strength like physical M, but also take Agility or Magic, in a way that usually makes it stronger than physical. Knife M is like Chicken M, but weird. The part of it that's supposed to use Agility gets cut off and only adds either 0 or 1 to the total, changing back and forth as you Level up. Carby calls this bit the "agility bonus". Knife M is used not only on non-Chicken knives, but also most bows, whips, and throwing weapons.

Finally, in the Advanced version only, there's cannon M, used for !Open Fire, which is only based on Level. Nice and simple.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 28, 2019

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

This is excellent, thank you.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

My annual "play to post-Wind Shrine and save" run. Three days til pre-registration. Can't wait.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

You know what's stupid? The Brave Blade. You know what loving rules?

:black101: TWO RAGNAROKS :black101:

So I'm :toxx:ing a $5 donation (up to $50) for the first ten people who finish their fiesta with two fuckin' Ragnaroks. Get the first from Shinryu, get the second from stealing it from Neo-Exdeath, and then take a picture during the NED fight of either both equipped or both in your item list to count.

HARBINGERS OF THE DOUBLE APOCALYPSE:
*MagusDraco
*Procrastine
*1234567890num
*mp5
*Fenix Alheron
*Tergaso
*Fenrir
*Son of a Vondruke!
*AlphaKretin
*Ayudo

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 28, 2019

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

My first (and only, so far) playthrough of FFV was during last year's Fiesta and I had a lot of fun. I have no idea how anybody can blast through this game in less than a month's time but I admire it nonetheless.

To any new players, I found an emulated GBA version to be pretty handy. I managed to find an emulator that synced with dropbox so I could move between devices a little easier. (I paid for a real copy as well so don't report me to the FBI)
A lot of this terminology and strategy went way over my head until I re-read the thread after I beat the game and 50% more of it (note: not all) made sense. I think the best thing to do is just to dive in even if you don't 100% even understand how to Fiesta. As the game progresses the terms start to make sense, and anyone will help with any confusion.

There was a few posts early last thread that explained every class which was a godsend, I recommend finding your class and reading whenever you get a new one.

As far as the different registrations go, I just went with whatever the default run is and it was fine. I don't think I ever sent a tweet but I probably had to log in via Twitter to use the site. Not sure.

As for this year... It may be tricky for me to finish a run. But I will definitely try. I'm excited to try the other jobs, hopefully no repeats from last year.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

There was a few posts early last thread that explained every class which was a godsend, I recommend finding your class and reading whenever you get a new one.

here are some other resources.

https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-V-Advance-(by-Dr-Pepper)
Low level challenge, has writeups of every job, including their stat changes from freelancer the job passives and the abilities they learn, plus some strats for them.

https://lparchive.org/Final-Fantasy-V-Challenge-Megathread/
Bunch of challenge runs. usually solo class challenges. Some that would dip into other jobs abilities.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Enkibot has been a great resource while playing with new classes to see which fun dumb strategies you can use against most bosses.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Bregor posted:

Thief was my worst Garula experience and involved some Elven Mantle luck IIRC. White Mage was also terrible. Chemist was a distant third.

Thief isn't terrible because you can steal mythril daggers which is a big boost over regular daggers, you're the fastest class so it's easy to keep up with potions, can at least wear cloth armor and a light helmet, and you don't have penalties to strength or stamina.

Bard gets none of those except it's also relatively fast. Worse strength and hp, worse weapon, worse armor.

White mage you're just never going to die and can wail away with the flail so it just takes time, but you're never in danger of wiping.

And Kyrosiris mentioned how the Chemist can just nullify Garula with charm. It took a little while and I had to do more than hold A or beak a rod, but it wasn't risky.

I recently played through Garula with all 20 classes in the past 2 weeks and only the Bard run really sucked.

Shyfted One fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 28, 2019

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Shyfted One posted:

I recently played through Garula with all 20 classes in the past 2 weeks and only the Bard run really sucked.

now try adamantoise with bards

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
What does rodbreaking mean?

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

now try adamantoise with bards

gently caress Adamantoise. Archaeoaevis is bad too.

Rodbreaking is, in combat, opening up the item menu, hitting up to select your inventory, and double-click a rod weapon. It breaks it but casts a spell - the elemental rods you get early game cast level 3 elemental spells, for example.

Note you can use that same menu to switch what weapon you are equipped with by pressing down, so you can break a lot of rods in one battle if desired.

derra fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 28, 2019

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Ritznit posted:

What does rodbreaking mean?

When you have a rod equipped, go into your item menu in combat, then press up. You'll see the weapons you have equipped. Hit A twice on the rod, and you'll break it, casting an -aga spell of the corresponding element on the enemy field.

This also works for Poison Rods (casts Bio), Staves of Light, (casts Holy), Masamune (doesn't break, casts Haste) and the Wonder Wand (doesn't break, casts Reset).

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Kyrosiris posted:

When you have a rod equipped, go into your item menu in combat, then press up. You'll see the weapons you have equipped. Hit A twice on the rod, and you'll break it, casting an -aga spell of the corresponding element on the enemy field.

This also works for Poison Rods (casts Bio), Staves of Light, (casts Holy), Masamune (doesn't break, casts Haste) and the Wonder Wand (doesn't break, casts Reset).

Maybe the Wonder Wand breaks but fixes itself with the reset. You don't know. You can't know.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

And Defender (casts Protect)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I'm gonna give project demi a try this year-- but geez, the translation is... I saw people waving that off, but you gotta remember, it's not just the cutscenes that are translated, it's every item in the game and it's gonna be real disorienting using the stuff they went with for it. Wish the GBA translation backport were supported.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Don't forget Defender (Protect, no break)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The Sage's Staff casts Life. The Jugdement Staff casts Dispel.

The Healing Staff and Power Staff don't cast spells when used as items, they instead use a damage formula that does nothing and have on-hit procs of Cura and Berserk, respectively.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Was just trying to think of what party I'd hate to have and it'd probably be Bard, Berserker, Dancer, Dragoon in that order. You're going to be ok, but World 1 going to suuuuck. Maybe even reverse the Dancer and Dragoon so you can't even rely on sword dance until later.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Shyfted One posted:

you can't even rely on sword dance

This is true 24/7 all the time.

I really don't like it.

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

neongrey posted:

I'm gonna give project demi a try this year-- but geez, the translation is... I saw people waving that off, but you gotta remember, it's not just the cutscenes that are translated, it's every item in the game and it's gonna be real disorienting using the stuff they went with for it. Wish the GBA translation backport were supported.

What's Project Demi? Sorry for all the dumb questions.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is true 24/7 all the time.

I really don't like it.

I don't like it, but I also don't hate it. I wouldn't want to have to rely on it, but at least you can luck out on a tough boss instead of having to grind levels.

Dancer is at least interesting earlier if you also have a Thief or a Blue Mage with no other way to confuse outside of !Dance.

Dragoon is my most hated class because it's so loving boring. I hate that class so much.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Dance doubles A, doesn't ever break Sleep, and allows you to do unlikely things by throwing yourself at a boss enough. Just have to win once. Plus, Equip Ribbons is one of the best Equip abilities as Ribbons and Rainbow Dresses kick rear end.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Ritznit posted:

What's Project Demi? Sorry for all the dumb questions.

It's a recently-released ROM hack for the SNES version that adds some quality-of-life options that's great for veteran players. The big things are the removal of cutscenes and a toggle for random encounters, with a few other things here and there as well.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
They also just started beta testing an update to project demi that rolls in most of the new non randomizer features that were added to Career Day (like being able to toggle the exp/abp multiplier between 1, 2, and 4 in game instead of having to patch a new rom)

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 28, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

(I fully admit I have no idea what FeyerbrandX was riffing here, but it's rad)

7 samurai

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHwZS2kp7MA

This is stupid, you're stupid, I'm stupid.

FIESTA HYPE

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ginfs4TY0oo

The appointed hour is nearly upon us. GET HYPE.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I’m getting reports that the Aegis Shield doesn’t block magic attacks properly in the Matrix version; can anyone confirm that?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Exdeath giving me some Captain Kabuki vibes there.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

agradine posted:

I’m getting reports that the Aegis Shield doesn’t block magic attacks properly in the Matrix version; can anyone confirm that?

Aside from the one reply a year ago on your last reddit "differences" post (by the same user, at that), I don't see anything about it. Not in FFWiki, not in Steam's discussions, nothing. If I get a hold of a copy I'll test it, but I would think a bug that noticeable would be more widely documented.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh, don't forget about Can of Worms's Final Fantasy V Advance Randomizer for mixing up wacky, unique jobs! The Balance Patch is somewhere there too. I'll likely have the pledge again this year for the Randomizer (I'll write something up later).

:siren: New post! "UPDATES FOR #FF5FJF2019". Basically, #REGFORBIDDEN is now instead #FORBIDDEN as an exclusive modifier (also means #REGADVANCE is "new" for the GBA jobs), #REGPOPULAR has a new formula... and most importantly there's still another Mode to be announced!

Prism posted:

Maybe the Wonder Wand breaks but fixes itself with the reset. You don't know. You can't know.
I'm fairly sure it does, actually :) Or it would if it got that far, I mean.