Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This guy was a loving badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_H05gpykGQ

In 1976 he had one of the most awful crashes in f1 history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYgjRTWhWi8

The guy not only didnt die but he would be formula 1 champion again with ferrari and finally with mclaren.

Rest in peace..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
f1 is good.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1wD0NWvCic

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

The niki lauda / James hunt movie was good, even if you aren't into f1. Vale, weird burns victim driver

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

DoctorGonzo posted:

Meh. I like the remake better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nicgg9LHpNY

What you're looking for is at 1:00.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
He also ran his own airline and went to a tropical rainforrest to investigate a crash on his own. Dude is awesome.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
If you like racing or sports stories in the slightest you should go watch Rush right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kl0UBS4ZaM&t=114s

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

+1 for Rush. Movie owned.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

"In a post-nuclear holocaust world, a survivor roams the desert, fighting bandits and the forces of an evil warlord."
this actually is a really good movie. im looking forward to the niki lauda parts

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
He was an unsympathetic dick but could definitely drive cars fast, rip in pieace

edit: Rush is a good movie

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
who's she?

ArchNemesis
Jun 27, 2007
College Slice
I have no interest in racing but now I gotta see that movie

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Mrs. Genesplicer and I were staying in Hockenheim, Germany one night in 2000 when a really loud crowd of cars came into town. We had been on the road a long time, had finally made it to sleep and these cars shook us out of bed. They stopped at our hotel, and all quieted down. The next morning we were having breakfast in the dining room and a crowd of really loud, rowdy people came in. We finally ask the waiter what was going on, and he said "They are Formula One Drivers. They came in late last night. They are always like this."

I don't know too much about F1, but I started looking for any faces I might recognize. Didn't recognize any, though.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The Hot Wheels DLC for Forza Horizon 3 is fun

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

gently caress, I had him on my death pool team but dropped him a couple months ago.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I'll be honest if I was paid ludicrous amounts of money to tour the most glamorous parts of the world and race cars there, I'm afraid I might not remember to pipe down my binging and whoring for the continental breakfast either.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Big Beef City posted:

I'll be honest if I was paid ludicrous amounts of money to tour the most glamorous parts of the world and race cars there, I'm afraid I might not remember to pipe down my binging and whoring for the continental breakfast either.

My first guess was soccer fans of some sort. The fact that they got to drive amazingly overpowered, ultrafast vehicles kinda made it better in my opinion. They had a reason to be rowdy. Kind of like the gladiators of old.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
unless he drove Group B rally he can blow me OP!!!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Chinatown posted:

unless he drove Group B rally he can blow me OP!!!

Group B and 70's F1 were very different beasts but both great spectacles because of just how awesome they were to watch and how fast and badly they would eat your corpse

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
Like the only thing I remember from the movie "Rush" was Niki Lauda describing how he had a good butt and his good butt helped him win races

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Well rip. He and james hunt may be doing laps in the afterlife I guess.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

rip nicole

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Rush was one of those weird movies that was really well done, probably Ron Howard's best work in years, and it just sorta... came out and nothing was really said about it.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Rush was an awesome movie and I don't know why it didn't get more attention. I thought it might've been overshadowed by Comic Book Movie #432 or something.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Get a lauda this dead guy!

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Good except from an interview he did a few years back

quote:

Has he ever revisited Bergwerk, where the accident occurred?

“Only once,” he says, “and it was many years later. I returned with [long-time F1 motorhome chef] Karl-Heinz Zimmermann, Bernie Ecclestone and one or two others. They thought I should go back to celebrate my survival with a glass or two of schnapps. While we were there, three Germans came past and spotted me, ‘Hey, it’s Niki Lauda… What are you doing here?’ Karl-Heinz replied, ‘He’s looking for his missing ear.’ They were horrified by what they perceived as his disrespect – I thought one of them was going to hit him. He then whispered to me to go and look in the grass, where – and I didn’t know this – he’d hidden a pig’s ear that he’d brought with him. Five metres ahead I saw it in the grass, shouted, ‘Look, I’ve found it’ and the Germans went away, now even more upset with our sense of humour...”

Spin And Speed
Apr 3, 2019
This is, of course, the most important Austrian news this week...

His airline apparently was good though; buddy of my dad told us how he flew with it it was all maxed out for comfort and not profit.
Yea it went bankrupt lol

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

There used to be a joke about Liz Taylors vaginoplasty and Niki getting new ears but I cant remember how it goes

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
I really want to be a racecar driver

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit
I learned to appreciate him in the same movie that I learned to appreciate Thor's rear end.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Never heard of him op

F

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

This guy was a loving badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_H05gpykGQ

The guy not only didnt die but he would be formula 1 champion again with ferrari and finally with mclaren.

Rest in peace..

Hopefully you'll be dead at 35.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

He F1’d when he should have :f5:’d

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Spin And Speed posted:

This is, of course, the most important Austrian news this week...

His airline apparently was good though; buddy of my dad told us how he flew with it it was all maxed out for comfort and not profit.
Yea it went bankrupt lol

Yeah, Nikki really only cared about providing the ultimate level of comfort and perfection in air travel. Which is super commendable, but also very, very expensive.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

lol the sound effects in this one makes the crash look like part of a local insurance commercial

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Lauda's reasoning for getting into the investigation of Lauda Air Flight 004 is awesome, I saw the Air Disasters episode about it and he straight up just says "I had to know whether the crash was actually pilot error or not, because if my pilots screwed up I need to know so that I can take responsibility for this."

Such a an awesome dude.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

He really set the tracks on fire.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i bet he had SEX with that woman he married

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

I really hope Toto Wolff and Dieter Zetsche follow suit.

Edit: By that I mean die very soon, not live to the age of 70.