Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«21 »
MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Hi, I'm MohawkSatan and you might know me for being a grumpy rear end in a top hat around here. This here is the new thread for getting your rear end in shape. Whether you want to share how your doing, get some help keeping yourself on track, talk technical poo poo, bitch about leg day (every day is leg day bitches), or talk about your goals, this here is the thread to do it.

The reason for this thread existing is myself and two of the other TFR goons on IRC getting started working on getting ourselves fit. I won't go into the others, cause it ain't my place to, but as for myself here's my reason for getting fit, what I'm doing, and all that.

I've never been skinny. But I was at least in decent enough shape, and I was an oilfield worker so I was fairly strong.

Seen above, a 20 year old MohawkSatan, still just a broke rear end punk, out with an SKS for the first time.

Now is a different story. I moved 700km to a city, and couldn't just wander out into the woods every weekend. Being in and out of the oilfield, and taking whatever jobs I could to make ends meet left me with a hosed shoulder, a hosed knee, lung damage, likely a bit of brain damage, etc. So I ended up gaining weight. From 220ish in the photo above to just over 250 now. 30 pounds is a big difference for someone who's 5'10", especially when you combine that with having lost a lot of muscle after getting out of the oilfield 4 years ago. Now the only shape I'm in is one that resembles a sphere.

So it's time to get something resembling fit, and I've got a decent start so far. I'm aiming for 1+ pounds a week, tracking calorie intake, and exercising. My routine last night was as follows, using my backpack with roughly 8kg of poo poo in it for everything:

Standing overhead press, 3x5x8kg
Biceps Curl 3x5x8kg
Lateral Raise 3x5x8kg
Upright Rows 3x5x8kg
Pushups (currently inclined because I got a long ways to go) 3x10x8kg
Squats 3x15x8kg

On top of that (which is going to be increasing either in weight or reps every time it's done, usually on tues/thurs/sat), I walk to and from work with the same bag 'o heavy junk 5 days a week, 2.8km in each direction, and I'm on my feet and moving all day at work. Calorie intake is aimed at a max of 2450,and I should be able to go under that quite comfortably now that I'm actually paying attention.

Now for some logistics: Why am I doing poo poo this dumbass way and not some other way? I work in a goddamned pizza shop and can't afford dick, that's why. Of the two gyms here, one is run by a rapist piece of poo poo (local RCMP won't do dick about him because they're lazy), and the other you have to pay for at least a month at a time, plus your first and last month up front, for a minimum of 3 months at $52 a month. So that's out the window. But I do blacksmithing as a hobby and for some money on the side, so I have plenty of chunks of metal laying around that I can throw into bag and lift.

Alright goons, your turn. The hell kind of shape are you in now, and what are you doing to make that shape less round?

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Also feel free to mock the hat, it was terrible when I found it in a thrift store when I was 16, and it's still loving terrible now. But it managed to keep the sun out of my eyes some, and the rain off, and when I got it I was homeless, so gently caress it.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

I FUCKING LOVE COCAINE

230 @ 5í10; weak by my my standards but I have a lot of athlete friends.

Current big lifts, approximately:
Squat: 125x5
DL: 145x3
Bench: 135x5
OHP: 80x3

Letís not forget either that food chat is important to getting results. Iím a huge cooking nerd so I can share some recipes when I get home.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Great, great, great loving idea. Iím in...sorta.

220 two months ago. 213.8 a month and a half ago when I started calorie tracking, 204.2 this morning. Used to be nearly six foot but my problems have shrank my height to 5í10.

Beginning physical therapy in June. Iím not currently allowed to do anything that would be classified as strenuous. Also turning 35 in June.

Iím not going to bore you with the details of my illness, but before diagnosis and treatment I got down to the 170s and was about to croak. Couldnít eat anything and looked like a skeleton. Doc told me to start eating at all costs once I started to improve, and I overdid it.

When I was 17 and fencing or 25 and doing MMA I was in great, muscular, but stocky shape and tipped in at 200-205. Iím built like a short linebacker.

Long Term Goal - 185
Short Term Goal -200
Other Goal - Get back to doing more than a mall walk a few times a month, but have to wait on PT.

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

~ 220# @ 6'0, 40 yo; some strength / exercise issues with lower back and knee injuries occasionally limit activity. I was as high as 240 in Nov 2018, started losing weight that same month through food discipline, moderate increase in exercise. Hit 210# in April but couldn't hold it. Staying put at #220 for now. Took the past few weeks off trying to lose and just maintaining but would like to try to get to ~200# sometime by this fall if possible.

Running when I'm not having an acute knee or back flare up is usually 2-3 mi at ~8:45 pace ~2x week.

Typical lifts as of this month x3 sets for all:

Squat: 220x5
DL: 245x5
Bench: 195x5
OHP: 135x5

Squat and DL have historically been > 75# above these but I find if I ramp that up I have knee complaints quite quickly so I'm not in a rush to improve those for now. I use the Starting Strength program without emphasis on constant increase. My discipline is poor as I will swing wildly from 3x lifts per week to 0 to 2x to ? from week to week. I need to get better on a fixed number of lifts and runs per week and I think that might be enough to get to my goal with consistent diet.

I've always gained weight easily but also gained muscle and strength easily. I kind of want to keep myself a little lighter, leaner and am fine with losing muscle mass and overall strength for more conditioning since that'll keep the joints a little happier. I'm a college professor so I just need to be able to lift a red pen really.

Same as the yeti said, diet is a part of it. By sticking to my own cooking I dropped 20lb without a major increase in exercise. My wife has done crossfit and olympic lifting competitions in the past few years and I've cooked for her different diets for training etc and also know a lot of recipes. Plus I just love cooking and have been doing so on a budget for years as a grad student so I can def share some basic lunch plans that anyone can do that are healthy and budget friendly. If there's interest I'll make an effort post on it later.

Goal: Stable weight ~ #200

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

MohawkSatan posted:

Being in and out of the oilfield,

Where'd you work? I worked as a welders helper, roughneck and later rigger on a couple gas production wells and a couple drills in the Gulf of Mexico in the late 90's / early 00.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

I'm gonna lurk in here, to keep tabs on you guys. I'm 5'11" 165lbs, so I am not really trying to lose any weight. If I train hard for a climbing trip or something though, I may try to drop 10lbs.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

That Works posted:

Where'd you work? I worked as a welders helper, roughneck and later rigger on a couple gas production wells and a couple drills in the Gulf of Mexico in the late 90's / early 00.

I was out in northern Alberta, in the Wabasca patch specifically, doing whatever came up. Welder's helper, general construction, driving rock truck, running excavators, etc. Never got to settle into any of the cushy long term jobs, just the 'people are disposable assets you rent to get the contract done' type ones.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

armorer posted:

I'm gonna lurk in here, to keep tabs on you guys. I'm 5'11" 165lbs, so I am not really trying to lose any weight. If I train hard for a climbing trip or something though, I may try to drop 10lbs.

Is the whole forum between 5í10 and 6 feet tall?

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

MohawkSatan posted:

the 'people are disposable assets you rent to get the contract done' type ones.

Well, good to know it's exactly the same up north as it is offshore in the gulf

Sounds like we did the same poo poo. I worked at it during summers and semester breaks from age 18-21. Grew up with lifers in that business.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Will you be my accountabilibuddies?

I'm hovering around 195; I'm 5'11". I was 185 when I went through the academy for my current job. I was 155 when I was in high school. My work schedule is jacked up and always changing so I have hard time taking outside classes or getting into a gym routine or anything. We do have a small gym at work which is nice; there's an elliptical, a treadmill, a multi-function weight machine, a couple benches, and some free weights.

I started on the 5/3/1 weight lifting program or whatever it's called and was really happy with my progress, but my lifting partner/spotter moved to Georgia. Nobody else wants to work out with me.

Help me, Obi Wans.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Oh, another thing of interest - My Fitness Apps and Devices -

A few days ago I got an Apple Watch Series Four. It has ECG monitoring and does just about everything you could think - except proper sleep tracking.

For sleep, I use "SleepWatch." After a few nights, I upgraded to the 3.99 a month plan for better results. I'm due to see a sleep doctor next month and think it will be useful.

For calorie tracking, I use "Lose It." Excellent layout, you can scan UPC codes, and after losing nearly ten pounds I upgraded to the 29.99 for a year plan. Compare that to over 200 for Weight Watchers.

About calorie tracking - I've cooked for myself sense I got out of college, and that alone got me from a beefy 263 to the 220-230 mark I hovered around for most of my adult life. But I was shockingly unhealthy and a drunk for many of those years. When I kicked the booze about five years ago I got closer to 220. Once I stared tracking my calories, I realised snacking was what was doing my in. I'd regularly eat five packs of trail mix in addition to meals. Four NutriGrain bars, a poo poo ton of suer through high octane Gatorade and Sugared Energy Drinks. If you cook for yourself, you've already won the war. Just try to win the battles by being conscious of how much of something you're putting in your body. Healthy food doesn't matter when you're eating 3000 calories of it.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

6' 200 or less. I say less because I have been losing weight by this one weird trick that chic fil a hates. I started bringing my lunch to work.

I used to rush to get to work so I could leave earlier but then my kid started her pre-school. The school doesn't open until 8:40 so I'd have some time to kill in the morning even working a bit from home. This led to making simple lunches. Sandwich and some chips or something like that. That in turn morphed into a main and a salad - just a small one from a mixed greens box with dressing and whatever I have on hand for the main. Sometimes it's leftovers, sometimes a sandwich, sometimes something really lame. I shaved off probably 500 calories a day from eating out 99% of the time at work and saving some money to boot.

I'm also walking more and run a bit but that comes and goes. Reducing my lunch calories has been a slam dunk to dropping weight.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I'm a fatass and need to change that. 5'10" and clothingless @ 293lbs this morning.

A month or so ago I started getting Freshly deliveries for lunch and have been only eating the low carb options. I generally don't eat breakfast beyond coffee and dinner is usually fairly healthy and I try to watch calories best I can. When I track them I am around 2000 calories a day on average.

For exercise I really prefer cycling to just about anything. When the weather cooperates I ride outside but probably half of the last dozen or so rides I've done have been indoors on the Peloton at my office building's gym. I'm on Strava for cycling and run tracking if you want to follow https://www.strava.com/athletes/1623729

Signed up for a double century ride in August. Probably going to start C25K again for like the 5th time.

I should start lifting again but a health insurance change at work got rid of my sweet gym discount program so I need to investigate memberships.

I Demand Food
Nov 17, 2002

I'm 5'11" and currently holding steady at 225.

I'd like to get down to 205 and ultimately back to 185.

The missus and I did a reverse carb cycling eating plan last year and I lost almost 15 pound on that combined with a bunch of walking, but she's pregnant with number two now so she can't do it and I don't have the time or inclination to do it alone. I've gained that weight back since then and feel like a fat sack of poo poo.

Up until pretty recently, I have done literally nothing in terms of purposeful exercise this year and have been eating way too much fast food, so I've tried to improve my eating habits, started using free weights again at home and at work, and will go back to doing some hiking in the nature reserve that backs up to our place (very likely with our 17 month old in a baby carrier).

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

Sten Freak posted:

Reducing my lunch calories has been a slam dunk to dropping weight.

This has been my primary improvement as well.

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/90sWWE/status/1130260844745494528

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

Is the whole forum between 5í10 and 6 feet tall?

Yes

I'm another 5'11", currently at 195 and would like to go back to 165 where i was two years ago. So far working on what I did last time, fix my loving diet and stop eating pizza and mountain dew every drat day.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene

Fun Shoe

the key once you hop over your mid 20s is to stop drinking your calories, whether its by soda or juice or by booze

Coxswain Balls
Jun 3, 2001

I'm not looking for your validation through this telescope, just planets boobies bullets

College Slice

The best part of cycling everywhere is you can eat whatever you want. That plus lifting 3x weekly has worked pretty well for me.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

It's been mentioned before, but if you want to really lose weight, count calories. Seriously. That's all Weight Watchers is. You can do it for free with apps like MyFitnessPal.

Three years ago, I went from 250 to 200lbs by a combination of counting calories and cycling. I dropped 50lbs over 6 months and it was awesome. I had to buy new clothes, felt way better, slept better, everything was better.

Really stick to it. You'll eventually start making smarter choices at meals because you know how many calories are in something.

Track your workouts with an app and once you see how much you have to run/walk/whatever to burn 100 calories you start to think twice about that can of Coke.

A few other things I've found helpful:

The Apple Watch: There is an inbuilt Activity app that tracks how much you stand, walk, and exercise. It gives you goals for every day and if you are like me, you like to complete them. I will go out of my way to close the loops. After a while, it suggests higher and higher goals to get you moving more. It also has a inbuilt heart rate monitor, which is useful for the next thing.

DDP Yoga: This was recommended before but I bought the DVD's last year and I ripped them all to my iPad. I do one of these workouts every day. There's a core strength workout that's amazing (I can't tell you the last time my back hurt from picking something up). These are awesome if you travel for work, because they are easily done in a hotel room with no equipment.

Raw almonds: This was my secret weapon. I read an article prior to embarking on this endeavor about how a key to losing weight was breaking the link in your brain between "feeling hungry" and "things that taste good make that hungry feeling go away". They suggested doing one of two things. Either eat a few raw almonds (no salt, no flavor, just plain almonds) when those "hungry" feelings hit outside of meal time or take a shot of olive oil.

The olive oil thing seemed disgusting to me (and is way less portable) so I did almonds. I keep a 5lb jar on my desk at work. Feel hungry, eat a few almonds. Works great.

Almonds are very good for you anyway although they are a little high in calories so don't go crazy with them. It's a good way to help break that link in your brain and then you'll find yourself eating less at meals.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

I wish I could find the video of the fat goony person (it literally might have been a goon) that made fun of an old video of this roid/Synthol junkie getting off on the size of his pecks and arms. Because that's how I feel after exercising.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Hey, this is really well timed. I'm 40 years old, 6'3" and 275, but I need to be down around 225 at most.

I used to play hockey and I think my best shape was way late in beer leagues when I was in my early 30s and playing just for fun. I was around 200 pounds, super lean at around 8% body fat and had a great routine of healthy food, 12 hours a week cardio, and 10 hours a week weights. I can't fathom ever getting back to that; in 2013 I had a back injury playing that revealed degenerative spinal stenosis and now I'm in constant low-grade pain and mostly can't lift heavy stuff anymore without paying in more severe pain for days later. My main cardio has always been cycling, but now I can't sit on my road bike for long without aggravating my back. On top of that, biceps tendinitis a couple years ago knocked me out of my post-bad-back activity of rock climbing, and without the motivation of sport I haven't been able to summon the willpower to keep a healthy diet. Now, here I am older, sedentary, and way too heavy.

So, what I need to do is make the effort to find a routine that works for me despite my decrepitude. I know it takes a lot to overcome the inertia of the familiar and easy rut I'm in, but maybe this thread can help provide the motivation to make it happen. I should see about trading in my racing profile road bike for something with a relaxed position that I might be able to comfortably use regularly. I should actually get out to the gym to see if I can find a very light weight routine that doesn't cause me problems. And most importantly, get disciplined about my diet; I need to pick a paradigm and go with it, eating healthier and less overall. Some degree of all of these is totally doable, so let it be done.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Nap Ghost

LordOfThePants posted:

It's been mentioned before, but if you want to really lose weight, count calories. Seriously. That's all Weight Watchers is. You can do it for free with apps like MyFitnessPal.

Using apps was essential for me, I've used chronometer and as long as I planed well enough I was able to loose 20 lbs in a few months.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Thirty, 6' even, 230lbs as dressed for work. Need to drop back down between 200 and 210. Lighter than that with my barrel chest and even the doctor yells at me. Problem came from my skiing/XC/snowshoeing getting halved for varipus reasons while I kept eating at my usual rate.

Just planned an outdoor parallel bar and pull-up bar combo I want to have material for and installed in July as a useful family project to teach the kids some building. Also picked up a 50lb kettlebell to help do more core training. My road bike habit resumes next week. Also wrote out a daily plan for some basic bodyweight exercises: burpees, crunches or sit-ups, push-ups, squats with a pack, etc.

Whole household starts couch to 5k in June. Kids and wife will also start cycling more to be up to a century spread over three days come fall.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Super-long post coming up...

By late 2017, I was hovering around 300 lbs. (I'm 5' 11".) Some days, my best weight (i.e., naked before a shower in the morning) was in the upper 290s, sometimes the scale wouldn't give me a reading. Seeing as how it never once gave a reading of 300 or more pounds, even when I tried to make it by holding stuff, I think that was just the limit. When I went to my annual checkup at the end of March last year, I was at 280 pounds--I'd dieted for a couple of weeks so I wouldn't have to hear a nurse say "300"--and I was diagnosed with diabetes. At age 42. Meaning, I had fatass diabetes. Pant size: 44", no belt required. T-shirt: 3XL, which makes buying anything a challenge. Button-down shirts: there's a sign saying "more sizes available at JC Penney dot com. (Seriously. I needed a dress shirt, and that's what I saw.)

So, I decided to go back to the gym I'd belonged to since early 2015. Second time I'd been a member there; this membership, I'd been there maybe 20 times max. Went 3 days a week, trying to do the routine I did when I was in my 20s, made a little progress. Bought one of those "Welcome back to the gym!" packages the trainers there sell for $99, which included 4 sessions of cardio, weight training, and "dynamic fitness" exercises. The guy tried the hard sell at the end of it, when I'm still in the 270s, but the price for a year of training is basically the same as buying a small car, with the slight disadvantage of not owning a car. So I declined, and I"m sure he thought I'd stop showing up after a few weeks.

I go 4-5 times a week, with a week off every few months. Arm day, Leg Day, Cardio, Back Day, and Cardio, though the only firm thing in that is that I do cardio on Friday. Last weight-in was 202 pounds, and my goal is 200 pounds. (I have a large frame and have been lifting weights for a year; I'd have to lose quite a bit of muscle to dip below 180.) I'm wearing 36" jeans, but I need a belt and can pull them up and down without undoing the snap or fly. Down to an XL shirt, though I could wear an L probably if I were a little shorter. I've gone through two cycles of buying new clothes. I absolutely can't wear anything that I had that has a waistband in the 40s, and my 38s are still wearable but I have to really cinch it up with a belt. My armoire full of 3XL shirts is mostly unwearable because while I do fit in them, they're so wide that they hang off of me, and when I tuck them in, it somehow looks worse.

(What follows are some tips that I have used for great success. Skip if you want.)

As has been mentioned, the biggest thing is diet. The trainer said that 80% of weight loss is in your diet, and he was 100% right, and I don't know how I didn't know that except that the last time I tried to lose weight was in my 20s, and with minimal attention to my diet, I exercised away the extra 20 or so pounds of flab that I had. That doesn't work when you need to lose 50 pounds, should go for 75, and want to lose 100... when you're in your 40s and have a desk job.

Best diet advice: count your calories. If you eat packaged or prepared meals, then look for and read the labels. If, like me, you home cook most of your meals, that doesn't mean you're eating well! Doing it requires a lot of research, and I have a spreadsheet with a bunch of tabs that I use to calculate homemade meal calorie totals. Get a good food scale, preferably one that goes up to 5 kg at least, and use it constantly. When you see the portions on a box of food or something, go by weight if it's available--if it says Serving Size: 1 cup (100 g), get 100 grams of it. Use metric to keep things simple unless you just don't have that choice. If it's a boxed meal and it says "Servings per container: about 2.5," and it's a food that drastically changes size and weight when prepared (anything dried, like rice or pasta, and other stuff), there's a way to do that, too. Skip the next paragraph if you don't want to know how I do it.

(It'll usually give you the dry weight that constitutes a serving. If it does, divide the calories per serving by the grams of dry mix in a serving to get calories/dry-gram. Multiply this by the total dry weight on the front of the package. This is the calorie total in the entire package. Add calories if you added something--like if you made a box of Jambalaya and added sausage, or if you added butter or oil. Now you have the total calories in the meal. Now, weigh the entire prepared meal--make sure you tare the scale and use a bowl, don't weight the pan! Now you can calculate the prepared calories per gram. Now, weigh out your portion. Congrats! You know how much you're eating.)

The only bad thing? Because I was so big and now I've lost most of what I didn't need to be carrying, I have a small amount of extra skin that won't ever go away. It's not like on those 600 Pound Life shows or anything, but it's like a small, deflated love handle with dimples on either side. Also, a lopsided puffy bellybutton when I was super fat (which I knew was a small umbilical hernia) now protrudes and is visible through my shirt sometimes, especially if I raise my arms or lean back. I figure I'll use that to my advantage when I start carrying, though. "No, those aren't guns printing. I just have former-fat-guy-hernias. Don't worry about it."

CoffeeBooze
Aug 4, 2007

Nuh Uh!

For people looking into lifting weights I still think Starting Strength is one of the best novice programs out there. There are ton of variants on it but the one by Black Iron Beast is very good and can be found here: https://blackironbeast.com/starting-strength

My main goal is to start lifting heavy again, but also to maintain some kind of cardiovascular health since that is helpful for wandering around the woods in search of delicious animals to shoot at. Prior to having a family I had hit a four plate squat and was progressing pretty well towards a three plate bench. Since then however Ive had a pretty serious case of fuckarounditis and been very infrequent with my lifting. Ive actually been consistently lifting twice a week and hitting three runs a week for the past three weeks so my goal now is to build on that and actually train and progress rather than trotting around the track at a leisurely pace for forty five minutes or putting off deadlifts till next week on days Ive already benched and squatted that session.

My current lifts for 3x5 are:

Bench 210
Squat: 255
Deadlift: 295 (2x5 rep scheme)
Press: 95 (3x8 rep scheme)

All of those are easy for me to hit and should progress pretty easily at first. I just have to actually do them. For running I currently put down about a 30 minute 5k, I would like to extend that to a 60 minute 10k but that might be difficult at my current weight of 230lbs. Dieting down to 220 or even 210 would probably help a lot but since my primary goal is to progress my lifts that will have to wait a while. I think doing one dedicated speed work day for now would at least be a good start to a more structured running program.

CoffeeBooze fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 22, 2019

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

Heck yeah, I've been meaning to get more into a regular routine of exercise. I would call myself above average in fitness, so it's not really about weight loss or muscle gain, rather it's more so about mental upkeep than physical upkeep for me. That said, I would like to knock back the beer gut a bit, and improve my upper body strength some.

I'm not some sort of dweeb that goes to the gym to lift bits of metal, but I used to have a morning routine of body-weight exercises that I liked to do. I also like to bike quite a bit, but more so trails in the mountains than roads in the city. I also used to like going to the pool pretty often, and swimming is probably my favourite form of cardio (biking more fun, swimming better workout), so I wanna pick that back up eventually. The thing that always gets me is I end up doing too much of everything at once and I get burnt out and go back to zero. So I pledge to bring back my body-weight routine, and just do it on Tuesday, Thurday, and Sunday mornings for now. I forgot to do it this morning, so I just now finished a make-up session when I got back from work. Gut is feeling pretty tight right now, which is good.

Currently my morning routine looks like:
  • 20 Pushups (Looking to increase the sets/reps of this one a lot, but my arms are still in a pretty noodley state. Used to be able to do 2x60, would like to get back to that.)
  • 20 Crossover crunches
  • 20 Reverse crunches
  • 20 Hundreds
  • 20 Flutter kicks
  • 20 Scissors
  • 20 Sitting twists
  • 20 Squats
I think I will scope out a yoga mat for myself, for all those crunch type exercises I want to maintain, but also to maybe do some more yoga type stuff in general. I am definitely lacking in basic stretches and all that sort of stuff. I've been noticing my feet and knees getting achey from biking lately, so if anyone has any stretch recommendations for that sort of stuff, let me know. I think my biking shoes falling apart is largely to blame, but there's probably some stretches I should be doing regardless. I might also look into a pull-up bar in the future, as my body type is conducive to the things, and heck yeah pull-ups, but my door frames are kind of fucky so I would probably have to MacGyver something. Something to look into in the future.

I'm fortunate enough to live on a fully protected bike lane that I can take all the way to my place of work, so I've been biking to work more lately as well. If I didn't have the protected lane, I would not even bother with this for what I hope are obvious reasons. But as it is it's convenient and safe enough for me, I just can't be bothered if it's raining super hard or if I have to carry a bunch of stuff into work or something. So I'm not going to push myself to bike to work every day, but I will do it when it makes sense, and be mindful of giving myself rest days where appropriate. Maybe shooting for doing it a couple times a week or something, but again I can't really rely on that because of weather and stuff. So for now I'll just leave it as a best effort thing.

It's getting nice enough to hit the trails again though, so I've been doing that the odd weekend. I'll make sure to post updates about my adventures regarding those, as those are more fun, and tend to involve some intense cardio if I got a good loop going. I'm not all that experienced in mountain biking (started 2 years ago), but I do like to think I have learned some lessons I can pass on, so hit me up if you got questions. FYI that I tend to go up and down though, not so much across, YMMV.

I miss going to the pool because swimming is some of the most zen exercise, but I burned myself out pretty hard last year trying to stick to a rigid schedule with that. I'm going to avoid jumping back into the pool for now, as I feel establishing my morning routine is more important for me right now, but once I got that on lock down, I look forward to throwing a more reasonable pool schedule into the mix. I think moderation is the key in all of this.

As for dieting, again I'm not really looking to lose much weight so this isn't as much of a concern for me. I really need to cut back on the beer, preferably cut it out entirely, but I'm pretty addicted to the dang nectar. I also want to cut red meat out entirely, and replace it with turkey alternatives and the like. I could use more fruits and veggies... But yeah none of this is a priority for me right now, as my current diet is "fine." Re-establishing my morning routine is the main priority, then tack on a pool routine, then probably think more about my diet.

I plan to post about maintenance and improvements to my body-weight routine, and any mountain biking outings I go on.

*open palm slams a KMFDM cassette into a boombox*

LET'S DO THIS.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 22, 2019

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

I FUCKING LOVE COCAINE

joyapp is my current fave app for food stuff; I've historically found at least one thing (usually search related) that royally pissed me off about myfitnesspal, livestrong/dailyburn, fitday, etc. when I tried each of them but so far Joyapp's doing pretty good with a minimalist interface and ease of creating recipes (also a dealbreaker feature for me)

With that in mind my current stable of recipes are in joyapp, if these don't work lmk and I'll screenshot or transcribe.

Casein banana 'pudding'
https://www.joyapp.com/recipes/1092659/details/

Chicken & lentils:
https://www.joyapp.com/recipes/1099201/details

"rice cooker cake" w/ protein topping
https://www.joyapp.com/recipes/1054836/details

(Note also that the total recipe weights are complete bullshit, they're all calculated to make 5 servings and I can't be bothered to weigh a whole batch to see how many grams it isi)

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Arrghhhh I hate getting serious about this stuff lol

I'm, like everyone else here, 5'10" and I currently weigh like 215 which is not great if you're a girl. I do have a large frame but I'd love to get back down to like 185 or so but I have a really hard time with the sacrifices required.

I've been trying out intermittent fasting which seems to be helping with a small amount of weight loss. Diet as always is the key and I have myfitnesspal but I loathe counting calories. I'm super lazy about cooking at home too which obviously isn't great!!

I do kick boxing once a week at a class, possibly moving that up to two times soon. Looking to get back into tennis and possibly some weighed squats. Exercise is also not my fave so I'm really looking to diet and portion control as my ticket out

Independence
Jul 11, 2006

Grimey Drawer

42 years old and 215#, I would like to get down to around 185. My workout routine is usually deadlifts 2-3 times a week doing a rotation of Chest/Back/Core/Arms on different days and 5 minutes of Tabata workout at the end. Other days I either walk or run a couple of miles. I use a Polar HR monitor that tells me when to rest/continue my workout.

I've been counting calories but I am addicted to sugar. it's driving me nuts, the craving for sugar are off the charts.

Feh.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007

this avatar is brought to you by the campaign to pay lowtax's medical bills since 1999
Keep the lights on in this dead gay forum

Hair Elf

flightless greeb posted:

I'm, like everyone else here, 5'10" and I currently weigh like 215 which is not great if you're a girl. I do have a large frame but I'd love to get back down to like 185 or so but I have a really hard time with the sacrifices required.

I've been trying out intermittent fasting which seems to be helping with a small amount of weight loss. Diet as always is the key and I have myfitnesspal but I loathe counting calories. I'm super lazy about cooking at home too which obviously isn't great!!

I do kick boxing once a week at a class, possibly moving that up to two times soon. Looking to get back into tennis and possibly some weighed squats. Exercise is also not my fave so I'm really looking to diet and portion control as my ticket out

Try a slow cooker or instant pot. You can cook like a week's worth of servings at once and it's easy clean up. I cook a lot more now because of it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

flightless greeb posted:

Bump up your kickboxing and youíll start seeing major results. Ages ago when I did MMA training. There was a cardio kickboxing class made up almost entirely of women. If you really hosed up during MMA, youíd get sent to the cardio class. Why? Because it was the most God damned gruelling thing ever. I saw proper pros go do that for twenty minutes and hurl. Youíre a tough person if you do that even once a week.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Man of the Rising Sun

Why am I heavy?

Because I drink too much cheap malt liquor and don't exercise.

It's not rocket science.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Give up, give in.

Independence
Jul 11, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

Give up, give in.

Arby's: The definition of Give Up.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Independence posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ujDVIwAX0

CoffeeBooze
Aug 4, 2007

Nuh Uh!

Independence posted:

Not if youre bulking! In that case Arbys is the definition of Trying Really Hard!

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

https://mobile.twitter.com/nihilist...394834665431045

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hagie
Apr 5, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

6'4" probably 320. We intentionally/unintentionally do not have a scale in the house. 95% of it is on my stomach. a small percent in my thighs, armpits and neck (more on this joker later). BMI says morbidly obese but every doctor says it currently isn't an issue because my cholesterol is ok. I do have to suggest that they get a larger cuff for my blood pressure because everyone thinks it is something ridiculous like 200/90 or something. Now comes the e/n.

I have a large frame to begin with, but my legs are strong from 13+ years straight of baseball. My mom's dad (I never really knew him as a grandfather as his Vietnamese wife locked him down in Vegas many years ago and he abandoned my mom so he was dead to her for a time) was 6'3" 450 at one point. I don't think I want to see that weight for sure, but part of me believes my genetics have me set where I am. It was a struggle to get back down to 290 on that Cornerstone diet I talked about

I've mentioned in threads past about playing D2 Baseball (woo hoo right?) and starting over 10 other freshmen pitching. Start during the week, ice the gently caress out of my arm, run the outfield pole to pole until my legs were jello. Then pitch Saturday and may be Sunday in relief. I had great endurance and a rubber arm that came back like a god drat Super Saiyan every week.

But one thing I could never get rid of was my gut. I have had it since 3rd grade. I have endured all kinds of psychological attacks from "friends" I played baseball with and even my dad for a period of time. I can still feel him grabbing my gut and saying that i was a fat lazy piece of poo poo. 2 years ago I realized that for the last 15-20 years I had been wondering in and out of depression, but wasn't willing to accept it nor really understood because most people think depression automatically equals eventual suicide. I got fed up with a doctor in Charlotte after a nurse said I had Hashimotos after a biopsy on my thyroid nodules, and when I talked with the doctor he said "no, you don't have it...who told you that??" 2 nodules at 2.5cm came back "suspect of neoplasty" and I had to go back again 2 weeks later to get another biopsy that was more leaning towards negative. For almost a month I was the dog in that meme of "everything is OK" on the outside but inside I was freaking the gently caress out and assumed it was cancer.

I moved to a smaller practice that mostly sees elderly patients in a town where my dad runs administratively. I have put his prior transgressions aside long ago and decided he got his a while back after he got blackmailed by a secretary he was dipping his cock in. I told this doctor that I know it is a joke from Austin Powers but "I eat because I am unhappy, and I am unhappy because I eat." I still laugh at the line, but gently caress is it true. Part of my reward (and then depression) cycle, was championing some eating situation. I would get praise and adulation for eating a huge gently caress off steak from some place we went, and cleaning the plate. Then circle a few weeks later and I am back to being a fat rear end. This cycle is tough. Positive because I am doing something that is actively not helping my weight, then chided and belittled because I was urged to eat in that fashion.

Last week I got notice that my exocrine operation of my pancreas is not working properly, which mainly focuses in digestion in the small intestine and no where near diabetes; and explains my inconsistent bowel issues that a colonoscopy at the end of last year cleared me of any serious potential issues Also my brain is screaming for my Thyroid to get working and it is basically telling it to gently caress off and if it doesn't it will quit.

I don't work out, and I don't walk/run. Part of it is I literally have NO drive. I am considering talking to my doctor about my testosterone levels. Working out never interested me growing up and I did the bare minimum in college to stay off the radar. I can do all the other things testosterone require and don't have any issues in the lower horn (lol when my wife is "interested" Read: hardly ever. Also favorite Futurama epoisode)

«21 »