Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«21 »
Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty

Fun Shoe

Oh yeah, I keep Pedialyte in my travel first aid kit and my dopp kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I'm kind-of proud of myself.

I had a gig last night across the river in Missouri. Back in the day, I'd eat at the place and have at least three to four beers over the whole time I was at the bar, with a shot mixed in on most nights. (With load-in, setup, playing, tear-down, and load-out times, a standard 4-hour gig can take between 6-7 hours when you provide your own sound.) Then I'd drive home, and by this time, I'd be hungry and thirsty. I'd stop at a convenience store for some chips and a meat stick or something, or maybe I'd stop at a fast food place for some really good slop, and I'd have a few beers when I got home. And a few shots. Over the last few years, I've pared the beer down to having one or two at the gig, and no more shots. But, I'd drink when I got home, because man do my feet and ankles hurt after a gig. (My back too, sometimes.)

Last night, I had my dinner at the bar, and I had one beer later. I had a protein bar when I got home, and no more alcohol. So, I'm still tired because I didn't get home until 3 AM and it took about an hour for me to settle down enough to go to bed, but I didn't go nuts with food and drink like I often have in the past.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

tarlibone posted:

I'm kind-of proud of myself.

I had a gig last night across the river in Missouri. Back in the day, I'd eat at the place and have at least three to four beers over the whole time I was at the bar, with a shot mixed in on most nights. (With load-in, setup, playing, tear-down, and load-out times, a standard 4-hour gig can take between 6-7 hours when you provide your own sound.) Then I'd drive home, and by this time, I'd be hungry and thirsty. I'd stop at a convenience store for some chips and a meat stick or something, or maybe I'd stop at a fast food place for some really good slop, and I'd have a few beers when I got home. And a few shots. Over the last few years, I've pared the beer down to having one or two at the gig, and no more shots. But, I'd drink when I got home, because man do my feet and ankles hurt after a gig. (My back too, sometimes.)

Last night, I had my dinner at the bar, and I had one beer later. I had a protein bar when I got home, and no more alcohol. So, I'm still tired because I didn't get home until 3 AM and it took about an hour for me to settle down enough to go to bed, but I didn't go nuts with food and drink like I often have in the past.

Nice! Good work on toning it down.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Across the river in Missouri....

Do you live in Kansas? I spent about four years in Olathe as a wretched drunkard.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Illinois.

"Across the river" is something Illinoisans who live within a half an hour of the Mississippi say instead of "in Missouri." If you live in an area that has only one nearby river crossing, "across the bridge" or "across the ferry" also work.

I typed it without even thinking and had to go back to add "in Missouri" when I realized that most folks would wonder why I bothered to mention that I had to drive over a bridge.

I saw a bad accident on the way back, right at the Mississippi. A car drove off of the highway right before the bridge (there were fresh tire marks on the pavement) and went down the berm, stopping short of the river by crashing upside down on a lower road that goes alongside a waterfowl reserve down in the bottoms. Hope they were OK. Emergency crews were loading the car onto a flatbed when I rubbernecked by.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Week 2 of jiu jitsu. I feel like I'm drinking from a firehose. At the end of the session we did a three minute roll for subs and I think I died.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

Week 2 of jiu jitsu. I feel like I'm drinking from a firehose. At the end of the session we did a three minute roll for subs and I think I died.

You died. Itís normal.

If youíre over 200 pounds, look up the mounted arm in choke. Itís like a lazy, sleepy way to suddenly sub someone who thinks youíre dying on top of them.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Speaking of being fat. My foot is in full loving protest after a mishap while running on the mean streets of Manhattan. It almost killed me doing circuit training last night and now I'm waiting in Urgent Care to get someone to read my x-rays and amputate.

Moral of the story: gently caress cobblestone roads.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Having snapped both my ankles, twice - God I feel for you.

Go ahead and have ankle immobilizing leg braces made. Itís so much easier.

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

Aaaaand it's a lovely sprain. They basically said I have to be on light duty for the next few weeks and then if I re-injure it they're putting me in a boot. So I guess it's upper body workouts for a bit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Miso Beno posted:

Aaaaand it's a lovely sprain. They basically said I have to be on light duty for the next few weeks and then if I re-injure it they're putting me in a boot. So I guess it's upper body workouts for a bit.

:in ghost voice: ďAsk for the boot anyways!!! Wooooo!!! Youíll do better!!!Ē

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Don't get a boot for a sprain, you'll just make it more likely to happen in the future by not letting it work.

infrared35 posted:

I think the only first couple weeks worse is muay thai. It'll get better. It just sucks.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Miso Beno posted:

Speaking of being fat. My foot is in full loving protest after a mishap while running on the mean streets of Manhattan. It almost killed me doing circuit training last night and now I'm waiting in Urgent Care to get someone to read my x-rays and amputate.

Moral of the story: gently caress cobblestone roads.

My right foot has had some nasty posterior tibial tendonitis for like 6 months now because I was fat and tried to run. It's pretty well managed with some K tape as I work on strengthening it. Then yesterday I woke up with my left foot feeling like it had been hit with a sledge hammer and what seems to be plantar fasciitis. Right as I had been in a real good groove at the gym. Walking like 15 miles in one day in DC last week probably wasn't a good idea

Miso Beno
Apr 29, 2004

Fun Shoe

charliebravo77 posted:

My right foot has had some nasty posterior tibial tendonitis for like 6 months now because I was fat and tried to run. It's pretty well managed with some K tape as I work on strengthening it. Then yesterday I woke up with my left foot feeling like it had been hit with a sledge hammer and what seems to be plantar fasciitis. Right as I had been in a real good groove at the gym. Walking like 15 miles in one day in DC last week probably wasn't a good idea

What's your K-Tape strategy? I'm going to seriously consider amputating if it is going to make me skip legs day too long.

Captain Log posted:

:in ghost voice: ďAsk for the boot anyways!!! Wooooo!!! Youíll do better!!!Ē

Oh I still have my boot from the time I blew up my ankle tripping on a curb while on a run.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVgVN7a...g_web_copy_link

mischief posted:

Don't get a boot for a sprain, you'll just make it more likely to happen in the future by not letting it work.

Oh the boot is specifically to imobilize my foot. It's a foot sprain which I didn't even know was a loving thing.

Miso Beno fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 28, 2020

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Miso Beno posted:

What's your K-Tape strategy? I'm going to seriously consider amputating if it is going to make me skip legs day too long.

This is for the posterial tibial tendonitis - depending on your malady there is probably a method out there. I thought all the KT Tape usage was largely horseshit until I tried it myself and now I'm a believer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPwY0h50juQ

If your foot sprain is a lot of top of foot pain you might try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By5ztNxwgYY

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

infrared35 posted:

The rabbit hole is deep for BJJ. I've been training 3-6 times a week for the last four years, and there's still huge sections of the game that might as well be a mystery to me. I'm a big fan of this free e-book as a high-level overview of important concepts like positional hierarchy.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Nestharken posted:

The rabbit hole is deep for BJJ. I've been training 3-6 times a week for the last four years, and there's still huge sections of the game that might as well be a mystery to me. I'm a big fan of this free e-book as a high-level overview of important concepts like positional hierarchy.

How far are you on the belts? I never made it past white do to health, so I have to live vicariously through other goons.

Another curious question - in your personal BJJ journey, when did it all click?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Nestharken posted:

I'm a big fan of this free e-book as a high-level overview of important concepts like positional hierarchy.

Ten ways to shrimp?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

Ten ways to shrimp?

Have you done the ďfall over and shrimp across the matĒ thing yet?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Have you done the ďfall over and shrimp across the matĒ thing yet?

Well, shrimping across the mat and back is part of our warmup.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

Well, shrimping across the mat and back is part of our warmup.

Thatís what Iím talking about.

Front rolls? Because learning how to do that feels like ninja poo poo.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Thatís what Iím talking about.

Front rolls? Because learning how to do that feels like ninja poo poo.

I am really bad at front rolls. And I just can't do the hip-shoulder shimmy across the mat thing that everyone else seems to do so easily.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

I am really bad at front rolls. And I just can't do the hip-shoulder shimmy across the mat thing that everyone else seems to do so easily.

The trick that worked for me was a guy who barely spoke English telling me, ďThrow your should at your foot...but farther...Ē

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Captain Log posted:

How far are you on the belts? I never made it past white do to health, so I have to live vicariously through other goons.

Another curious question - in your personal BJJ journey, when did it all click?

I just got my purple belt a couple months ago. My coach made me and my best friend (who started at the same time) fight for it after the normal promotions were over. He pulled guard and I wristlocked him from inside his closed guard because I didn't want to risk dealing with his triangle while passing.

It hasn't "all" clicked by a long shot, but somewhere towards the end of my first year, I was able to start chaining a few moves together fluidly, and I noticed another level up of sorts in the last six months or so in the precision of random moves when I try them out for the first time while rolling. Mostly it's a lot of looooong periods of what feels like a plateau.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Quick update, Back in July (I think) last year I was down to 224 or so. I'm now down to 195(from a 38 waist to a 36)... It's still going, and I'm hoping for the mid-180's by mid-year.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Skreemer posted:

Quick update, Back in July (I think) last year I was down to 224 or so. I'm now down to 195(from a 38 waist to a 36)... It's still going, and I'm hoping for the mid-180's by mid-year.

Nice!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Skreemer posted:

Hell yeah, man. You doin' it!

I've been weighing in at 168ish recently. I'm down fifty pounds and know I have to be at my limit, or close to it. I still feel like I have five or ten pounds of love handle flab to lose, but I'm a 35 year old who cannot to calisthenics. I'm being realistic.

I also like eating a reasonable diet. I control carbs and count calories, but I like having a daily does of sugar at some point. I don't want to diet down in a way that requires an incredibly strict diet I cannot maintain.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Did a five-minute roll for subs today and didn't completely die.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

Did a five-minute roll for subs today and didn't completely die.

Five minutes is a long, brutal amount of time.

You did well. Iíve puked from those. gently caress, Iíve puked from three minute rounds.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Captain Log posted:

Five minutes is a long, brutal amount of time.

You did well. Iíve puked from those. gently caress, Iíve puked from three minute rounds.

I was rolling with the instructor and I know he was going easy on me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Awesome that you're still doing Jiujitsu; the firehose feeling is very real but if you keep going eventually your instruction will revisit something you've already learned and then you can look on with immense satisfaction at the people even newer than you messing it up.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Finally hit a year of calorie counting.

Started losing weight at 218.6

Started calorie counting at 213.6

Current weight - 163.2

Current Biking Streak - 250+ days

If I can find something not humiliating I might have to post a before and after.

Where my weight loss gun goons at?!

My goal is whatever the gently caress I hit when I level off. I'm pretty explicitly forbidden from anything muscle building. But I'm deep into unchartered territory right now. I think I weighed close to 200 by the time I was thirteen.

Pre-Arthritus, I'm five foot eleven. I've always been a broad shouldered "big" guy. I don't even know what the gently caress I am anymore.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Captain Log posted:

Finally hit a year of calorie counting.

Started losing weight at 218.6

Started calorie counting at 213.6

Current weight - 163.2

Current Biking Streak - 250+ days

If I can find something not humiliating I might have to post a before and after.

Where my weight loss gun goons at?!

My goal is whatever the gently caress I hit when I level off. I'm pretty explicitly forbidden from anything muscle building. But I'm deep into unchartered territory right now. I think I weighed close to 200 by the time I was thirteen.

Pre-Arthritus, I'm five foot eleven. I've always been a broad shouldered "big" guy. I don't even know what the gently caress I am anymore.

drat dude, well loving done.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Congrats Captain Log!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

armorer posted:

drat dude, well loving done.

Yuns posted:

Congrats Captain Log!

I am really, really thinking about adding calisthenics. Even my neurologist friend, who told me to go for weight loss through biking, said not to do anything that tears down muscle.

God drat, I wish I had this fitness revelation back when I was in MMA/BJJ gyms. I could have actually been competitive.

Donít put poo poo off. Eventually, your body will start closing doors whether or like it or not.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I haven't been able to go to the gym for a few weeks now. Finally, today, I got out my new exercise mat and I did some push-ups, situps, squats, and I was planning I'm going for a walk, but it's storming now.

I haven't gained any weight, but I haven't lost any. Then again, I hit my lowest weight a few weeks back, just under 170 pounds. And really, I wasn't very comfortable. I should have stopped losing weight by now, because I really don't have any fat left to lose, and the ribs are getting hard to ignore. The extra skin that used to be my belly and buttocks are my only lumps. But sill, I feel like I could lose more. After two years of consistent weekly loss, I need to learn that maintaining doesn't mean losing a pound every week.

Now, I'm scared I'm going to start losing muscle. And all of the exercise stuff is gone from the local Walmart, because these people who are going to start baking bread for the first time ever? Apparently, they're also going to start bodybuilding.

I need to figure something out. I don't have much Room in the house, so getting much in the way of exercise equipment isn't going to work unless I plan on working out in the garage.

The un-air conditioned, unheated garage.

Weird things that have happened since I've lost weight: I had to get a new wedding ring, because my wedding ring size went from 14 to 10.5, and also, when I drop something onto my lap, I used to be able to catch it by squeezing my thighs together. Now, even the magazine for my M&P 9c will just fall through, usually landing on the floor. It's like having a body part you take for granted suddenly amputated.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Second ride of the year outside. Wind was brutal but pushed through 20 miles. Hill People Gear Snubby chest rig in blue matches my kit and makes a great urban carry option.

S&W Bodyguard 380 or Shield fit nicely.

WFH has been a blessing in disguise, having been barefoot for a month has pretty much completely resolved all the bullshit tendonitis issues in my feet and ankles I've been having. I think I need to switch to zero drop, or very minimal drops shoes.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 19, 2020

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Blue HPG bags are excellent, mine blends with all my backpacking/bikepacking poo poo. I don't know why for so long they resisted stocking a non tactical color but I'm glad of it now

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

So, TFR Fitness pals, how has it been going?

I have a picture. I'll get to that in a minute.

My whole life, I was told I had essential (genetic) hypertension. It runs on my Dad's side of the family and killed my grandmother at 67. I had extremely high blood pressure most of my life and a resting heart rate between 80-100 bpm.

After 270+ days of biking, my high blood pressure is gone. I don't take medicine for it anymore. Oh, my resting heart rate?

I'm also knocking on the door of being below 160 pounds. I think I'm going to cut it off at 155, because my butt looks like it has been slightly deflated. I'm going to have a really long conversation with my doctors, because I want to add in calisthenics. I understand that I'll never be allowed to safely lift weights, because anything that could damage tissue might not heal. But right now I look like a fat skeleton. I need to tone up and I don't think losing another twenty pounds is the correct answer to that problem.

But if I'm banned from anything other than cardio, I'll just be happy with the health benefits and tell my romantic partners I'm part ghost or part alien or something.

I also started trying to lose weight at 218.6 pounds. The calorie counting started with this graph.

Where my fitness pals at?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I haven't been able to get a proper workout in over a month. I've gone on some walks and done some calisthenics, but it's not the same by a country mile. My wife is considering foregoing getting another 1911 and getting exercise equipment. I'm like, wuuuuuuut?

But, that said? My annual was last week. I weighed in at 170 lbs, which is pretty amazing for me. But I miss pumping that cardio, doing all that iron.

That's what it's called, right? It's been so long, I'm forgetting.

«21 »