Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«21 »
Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

I swear, the only way I'm able to do it is with an exercise bike infant of my TV. It's my time to watch shows I enjoy. When I was trying to walk, I was having stumbles and falls. When I was doing the bike without clip in pedals, my feet were sliding all over the place. I busted up my shins and twice my knee having them slam into the pedals or other poo poo. Getting clip in pedals and a good streaming show up is 100% what does it.

Get an exercise bike. Dooooo it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Since the lockdown closed the gym, I've been "running" a 5K every day and then walking another 2.5 - 3 miles afterward as a "cool down". I've just been using the simple included Samsung app on my phone to keep track of the "active time". So far for the last 3 weeks, I have been averaging 101 minutes active time and an average of 6.5 miles of walking per day.

I saw 187 on the scale, but I've been averaging between 189 and 191 daily.

Running caveat, when I say "running" I'm doing some odd old man jogging shuffle. I can get down to a 9-minute mile but everything hurts for days afterward. I'm usually doing either a 10-minute or 11-minute mile.
it's "just an excuse" but 4 surgeries on each of my knees before I turned 18 and I'm 43 now, plus asthma, I'm not nearly as fast as I used to be.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Are you keeping up with your heart rate? I say to hell with speed and form (within reason) if youíre getting your heart pumping.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Venture to the stars

...if you dare

I've recently started rucking because a bad hip knocked me out of the running game.

Rucking is cool and good, so far. I get that it's walking, and there are those dogmatic fitness folks who say 'walking doesn't count,' or 'steps don't matter,' but to them I say, walk with me 3 to 5 miles, at pace, wearing 46 pounds on your back. It does get your heart rate up, and if you can find some hills, even modest ones, you can double what you get out of it in terms of work and calories burned.

For those who can't run (or choose not to because running sucks out loud) I suggest rucking. You can start by haunting your Army Navy store and finding an old ALICE rucksack. The ones with the metal frames for great weight distribution. Fill the multiple pockets with boxes of ammo, or rocks!

If you're like me (God forbid) and when you start new things you dive headfirst, you can splurge on a purpose designed rucksack made by GoRuck , and then all the accessories like the hip strap and the weight plates. I'm fond of it because the bag is designed to keep the plates high on your back, and the bag is also a modest every day carry thing. You can fit a 16" laptop in it, or use it for your carry on luggage. Made of that heavy duty cordura so it's nigh indestructible. It has room for a nice 100oz camelback bladder, and the necessary holes to route the hose. MOLLE compatible, etc.

They even sponsor GoRuck events with themed courses.

*this post is not endorsed or sponsored by GoRuck.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

COVID gym shutdowns motivated me to hang up my pull up bar, set up some mats, and get back into long(er) distance runs, cause those are still allowed around here if you stay far away from other people, as well as rucking and plate armor runs.

My pull-up game is way the gently caress up post-lockdown, and it's so empty most days that I can do 5-8 mile runs and barely see other people more than a couple times per mile.

Ironically, pullups every day and long runs and planks mean I've been ignoring the most basic thing: push ups.

My routine now is basically 2x distance runs per week (5-8 miles), 1x ruck per week (5-ish miles, boots, weighted ruck), 1-2x sprint workouts (60s/120s repeats, ~40-50 minutes plus ~10 minutes warmup/cooldown). Usually one workout day gets cancelled by work poo poo because of time zones and meetings. My weight training suffers, but is partially made up for by at least doing calisthenics 1-2x/week and doing pullups of various types basically every single day after hanging a variable bar in the house. ALso RIP swimming; the pool is closed.

My food intake was ROUGH the first week or so after lockdown, because we were low on supplies, delicious fried chicken was still open, and I was coming out of 3 weeks living in the field eating not enough and walking miles and miles of desert, but now I have a nice little supply of frozen portion-controlled meals so I can get back down to near-field weight.

Still, I'm within a few pounds of field weight right now, but I can do about two times as many leg tucks as I could before lockdown. (I could still stand to lose 5-10 pounds to look more svelt rather than being that fuckin' old guy who won't stop running)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Hell yes, fitness goons. Get yourself a bitching Covid body. MLMP, what's your field weight? I'm not sure I know that phrase.
----------------
I actually have a clothing question.

When I graduated high school, I was a four nights a week competitive fencer who qualified for Junior Olympics. I was a brick poo poo house below the waist. I wore 34 or 36 waist jeans and 38 slacks. Once I got in shape, my waist size was 36 in jeans.

A few months ago, my father gave me a pair of skinny 34 waist jeans he didn't need anymore. They easily fit.

I just measured my waist with a tape measure and it's at 37 inches.

What the gently caress jean size am I now? Do they undershoot measurements by three or more inches? I have room for an IWB holster with the 34 inch jeans, for gently caress's sake.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

It's not just you. I've worn a 34 or 35" waist on my pants for the past 20 years. I just went and put an actual measuring tape around my waist and it was 38".

In fitness news I set a new PR on bench press yesterday. I know I could do more but since this is at home and I don't have anyone to spot me I don't raise the max weight I attempt until I can do five reps on the previous lower weight.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Captain Log posted:

Hell yes, fitness goons. Get yourself a bitching Covid body. MLMP, what's your field weight? I'm not sure I know that phrase.
----------------

It's not really a real phrase, so not surprising. It's where I tend to level out when I'm still working kinda out but also I'm in the field living in a sleeping bag and eating army food. I'm 5'11 and my field weight is low to mid 180s now, with room to spare to cut down if I wanted to be a proper skinny boy, like I was in college. I tend to gain ~4-7 pounds when not in field conditions. I've done a much better job of keeping close to my "field weight" since my last major exercise, but food is delicious, beer exists here, and my ability to lift a heavy boy with pullups has exceeded my ability to keep weight off, so I'm a few pounds above what I would consider "field weight."

The skinniest I've been at this height is like 150 pounds, but that was at age 20 or so after a major illness, so no thanks to that. If I really went hard, maybe 172-176 would be ideal. But being able to crank out pullups and still run in gear and still lift in my 180s is good enough for now.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Venture to the stars

...if you dare

mlmp08 posted:

COVID gym shutdowns motivated me to hang up my pull up bar, set up some mats, and get back into long(er) distance runs, cause those are still allowed around here if you stay far away from other people, as well as rucking and plate armor runs.

My pull-up game is way the gently caress up post-lockdown, and it's so empty most days that I can do 5-8 mile runs and barely see other people more than a couple times per mile.

Ironically, pullups every day and long runs and planks mean I've been ignoring the most basic thing: push ups.

My routine now is basically 2x distance runs per week (5-8 miles), 1x ruck per week (5-ish miles, boots, weighted ruck), 1-2x sprint workouts (60s/120s repeats, ~40-50 minutes plus ~10 minutes warmup/cooldown). Usually one workout day gets cancelled by work poo poo because of time zones and meetings. My weight training suffers, but is partially made up for by at least doing calisthenics 1-2x/week and doing pullups of various types basically every single day after hanging a variable bar in the house. ALso RIP swimming; the pool is closed.

My food intake was ROUGH the first week or so after lockdown, because we were low on supplies, delicious fried chicken was still open, and I was coming out of 3 weeks living in the field eating not enough and walking miles and miles of desert, but now I have a nice little supply of frozen portion-controlled meals so I can get back down to near-field weight.

Still, I'm within a few pounds of field weight right now, but I can do about two times as many leg tucks as I could before lockdown. (I could still stand to lose 5-10 pounds to look more svelt rather than being that fuckin' old guy who won't stop running)

You're running 10 - 16 miles and rucking 5 miles in one week? Man you're going to ruin your joints. You gotta give your body time to rest. Ridiculous running regimes and schedules is what got me a hosed up hip. If you're getting 300s on your PFT you're good dude. Take it easy.

Tell me more about your frozen meals. Is it just meal prepped chicken breast that you freeze?

Protons fucked around with this message at 06:57 on May 7, 2020

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I should clarify the rucking is pretty light. More like assault pack weight rather than 60 pounds of gear plus armor and weapon. But yeah, about 10-15 miles per week running. At some point as I got older just running just got easier (Iím still not fast), and if anything my back feels way better when I run regularly. I change running shoes out religiously and make sure a fair chunk of my running is on soft-ish surfaces and padded trails vice pavement.

E: frozen meals

Instant pot is pretty ďmehĒ for a lot of recipes but excels in making Indian food easy.

Making batches of butter chicken, vindaloo, tikka masala, etc is stupid easy. Then just weigh out rice plus the indian food using a kitchen scale and freeze. Add side of unfrozen chopped vegetables (usually broccoli, carrots, celery) with peanut butter or hummus. Easy lunch mode.

Add a pile of carbs like bread with wurst or butter for bonus heavy kid vibes.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 11:37 on May 7, 2020

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Protons posted:

Is it just meal prepped chicken breast that you freeze?

This is violence! There is also a canned corn in my delicious meals.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Protons posted:

You're running 10 - 16 miles and rucking 5 miles in one week? Man you're going to ruin your joints.

I ran 50-70 miles a week for a decade and my joints still work.

The idea that somehow your body has so many steps left in its body is some 1970ís PE teacher physiology bullshit.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Venture to the stars

...if you dare

Flatland Crusoe posted:

I ran 50-70 miles a week for a decade and my joints still work.

The idea that somehow your body has so many steps left in its body is some 1970ís PE teacher physiology bullshit.

You are some kind of mutant. Maybe I was running wrong and didn't get the right shoes in time.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

One of my friends has run ~50-75 miles/week for over 20 years and his joint injuries consist of shoulders (sports injuries) and a knee (also sports injury). Running alone is fairly low risk. Impact and sudden changes of direction like in sports are much higher risk. The knee injury probably ended his ability to compete in sports due to loss of agility and risk of reinjury, but heíll likely still be able to run fine.

That said, new runners are at significantly more risk of an injury than even regular recreational/exercise runners. Experienced/pro runners approach very low rates of injury.

I used to think running was a big part of what fucks people up in the military, but I suspect itís more the leader emphasis on ignoring/minimizing injuries when your body is warning you or just slamming a bunch of novice runners into it with little or no care given for form and shoes.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Protons posted:

You are some kind of mutant. Maybe I was running wrong and didn't get the right shoes in time.

Starting to run is the most difficult part. You basically uncover all your muscle and flexibility imbalances and they typically show up as soft tissue inflammation like shin splints or tendinitis. If you have the wrong shoes for your foot impact that can make things a lot worse. If you are carrying excessive weight you will also amplify those issues further.

The typical rule with running is that you can only increase volume or intensity by 10% once every 4 weeks assuming you arenít having major issues. By that logic you can only triple running volume in a perfect year. Going from 0-60 miles a week in a controlled fashion is likely a 2 year process for most people. Iíve seen people who quit running at a relatively high level for a year or two that can go do 10 miles run day 1 but they will be injured in a few weeks of that.

Running fairly high volume requires a near constant state of inflammation/injury management. Lots of icing, ibuprofen off days to cross train are there as well as stretching and strengthening weird control muscles. Some elite runners will only tolerate 60 miles a week and others 110 before injury risk gets excessive. The biggest difference between a good runner and a decent runner is the ability to tell the difference between ďhurtingĒ and ďinjuredĒ. I spent a decade after my running career as a competitive cyclist and the constant management of overuse injuries was much less with cycling but with the new risk of crash impacts.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I am very OK with never being able to run again. You people are beasts.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Captain Log posted:

I am very OK with never being able to run again. You people are beasts.

So... what if a genie could grant you totally normal legs and stuff--sorry, I don't think I know your specific medical issues, other than bum legs and feet--but only under the condition that you run 3 miles per week? And seriously, you had to do those three miles. And you had to run. No exceptions.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

So... what if a genie could grant you totally normal legs and stuff--sorry, I don't think I know your specific medical issues, other than bum legs and feet--but only under the condition that you run 3 miles per week? And seriously, you had to do those three miles. And you had to run. No exceptions.

gently caress no.

Serious answer - I would do it, but very begrudgingly. Not being able to do steps or sharp inclines is a major bitch that would be worth the trade. Barely.

Even at 160 pounds, I've always been a bigger built guy than average. I was an awful, awful runner. Elliptical machine? (Fencers do that to save their knees) No problem. MMA sparring? No problem. Running? Go gently caress yourself. I ran like a tranq darted chimp.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Now all I can picture is teenage Log being told to run a lap and it turns into that game Ape Out.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Jack B Nimble posted:

Now all I can picture is teenage Log being told to run a lap and it turns into that game Ape Out.

It sure as gently caress looked like QWOP.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I've got an exercise question -

Unless I'm having an off day, which might happen twice a month, I typically do 90 minutes on the exercise bike a day. I do three minutes high tension, two minutes low the entire time.

I'm 5' 11. After about a hour of biking, the two main things bothering me are -

- chafing, but I've got baby powder and hydrocortisone working in tandem with my padded shorts to ease that pain
- my loving back

The back thing is the big issue. I'm creeping in on 300 days in a row and don't have a compelling reason to break the streak. But the middle of my back starts to really hurt and I'm worried about pulling something. I've biked through nausea, cramps, severe pain, headaches, and anything else my body can throw at me. But I know my back could be the main thing that would knock me out for a while.

I have the handlebars as high as I can put them and the seat pulled up as high as it can go. But I can't lay completely forward without my knees slamming into my elbows. But sitting bolt upright isn't really and option either. I have to stoop a little to reach the handlebars.

Do I need to invest in a bigger exercise bike? Or am I doing something wrong?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

For chafing there's stuff called chamois butter that is a cream you literally smear on the pads in the bike shorts. It works great. For your sore back, the bike might just not fit you well. Try to keep your back straight, even when you're down on the bars. You may also be able to rig something on the bars with hose clamps and pipe to give you a more comfortable resting place.

armorer fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 8, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

armorer posted:

For chafing there's stuff called chamois butter that is a clear you literally smear on the pads in the bike shorts. It works great. For your sore back, the bike might just not fit you well. Try to keep your back straight, even when you're down on the bars. You may also be able to rig something on the bars with hose clamps and pipe to give you a more comfortable resting place.

It is a bike I ordered from Amazon for $139. It wouldn't kill me to eventually get something better now that I know it's something I'll use. I'm just trying to figure if the problem is my posture, or an undersized piece of equipment.

I wish I could take a picture to demonstrate.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Captain Log posted:

It is a bike I ordered from Amazon for $139. It wouldn't kill me to eventually get something better now that I know it's something I'll use. I'm just trying to figure if the problem is my posture, or an undersized piece of equipment.

I wish I could take a picture to demonstrate.

I should have said "cream" not "clear". That was probably obvious in context. Most modern cell phones have a handy selfie feature where if you hold your palm out the camera will see it and trigger a shot like 5 seconds later. It may only work with the front facing camera, so try that out. If it works, you can set the camera down, then get on the bike, trigger it, and then hunch over like you would when riding.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Now can you set a timer so it takes a pic of you 35 minutes in? I'm not trying to be glib; people's form changes over time, so form at minute 1 is not the same as form at minute 60, etc. This is where, for tryhards, a video where they snip some screenshots from throughout the workout can be useful.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

It make take some attempts, but Iíll see what I can do over the next few days. There are multiple people here with crazy levels of biking experience that I would trust.

Get ready to see a super sweaty white man. (If I can figure it out)

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I have to make an active effort while riding to straighten out my back from time to time to keep from slouching too much.

quote:

I have the handlebars as high as I can put them and the seat pulled up as high as it can go. But I can't lay completely forward without my knees slamming into my elbows.

What you should actually try is raising the saddle and lowering the bars. You're only an inch taller than me (though I have short legs and a long torso) and I definitely wouldn't be raising the bars and the saddle as high as they can go. What does your knee angle look like? Ideally on the downstroke you shouldn't be fully extending your leg and on the upstroke you shouldn't be less than 90 degrees.

Here's some tips on trying to get a better fit
https://www.bicycling.com/skills-ti...352/bike-fit-0/

Here's what you're aiming for in position and pedaling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjdSJ-YrCcM

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

My form below the waist is hosed for obvious reasons. I try my best to keep my ankles rigid, but I cannot fully extend my leg. Iím always keeping my knees a little bent.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Captain Log posted:

I've got an exercise question -

Unless I'm having an off day, which might happen twice a month, I typically do 90 minutes on the exercise bike a day. I do three minutes high tension, two minutes low the entire time.

I'm 5' 11. After about a hour of biking, the two main things bothering me are -

- chafing, but I've got baby powder and hydrocortisone working in tandem with my padded shorts to ease that pain
- my loving back

The back thing is the big issue. I'm creeping in on 300 days in a row and don't have a compelling reason to break the streak. But the middle of my back starts to really hurt and I'm worried about pulling something. I've biked through nausea, cramps, severe pain, headaches, and anything else my body can throw at me. But I know my back could be the main thing that would knock me out for a while.

I have the handlebars as high as I can put them and the seat pulled up as high as it can go. But I can't lay completely forward without my knees slamming into my elbows. But sitting bolt upright isn't really and option either. I have to stoop a little to reach the handlebars.

Do I need to invest in a bigger exercise bike? Or am I doing something wrong?

One way to make a bike effective a bit bigger and to take weight off would be adding some clip on aero bars. They also can distribute your weight much different.

Definitely get chamois cream, consider buying better shorts (bibs, donít buy shorts) and getting a different seat.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Flatland Crusoe posted:

One way to make a bike effective a bit bigger and to take weight off would be adding some clip on aero bars. They also can distribute your weight much different.

Definitely get chamois cream, consider buying better shorts (bibs, donít buy shorts) and getting a different seat.

The chafing is manageable and improved a ton after I changed the seat on your specific recommendation. Iíll order some of that cream tonight. Any specific short recommendation? Iíve got four pair of padded bike shorts and could add more.

I canít believe I didnít think of changing the handlebars. That might have just saved me some cash. Any recs there?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Which model bike do you have again?

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Captain Log posted:

The chafing is manageable and improved a ton after I changed the seat on your specific recommendation. Iíll order some of that cream tonight. Any specific short recommendation? Iíve got four pair of padded bike shorts and could add more.

I canít believe I didnít think of changing the handlebars. That might have just saved me some cash. Any recs there?

Something like this depending on if it fits your bars, or they are round. Basically any rip off of a profile design bar. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FL829B...i_FRuTEb8GH8ZYK

I donít have great recommendations on specific shorts as I bought whatever my shop kits were each year. Giordana was my favorite but I havenít bought anything new in 3 years or so. I would just suggest getting a higher end progressively padded short and bibs instead of shorts.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I have been using Pearl Izumi Elite bib or Louis Garneau Fit Sensor 2 bibs since I started cycling and have no real complaints about either.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Whoops, forgot about posting pictures of my set up.

Sadly, the handlebars have this plastic enclosure surrounding them. Do I need to take that off to figure out what bars I can use? Or does saying this Amazon posting have the needed info?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Holy Shitballs - $289?!?!?! It wasn't over $200 when I bought it! Yep, I checked. I paid $199 shipped.

The bike itself works just fine. The computer doesn't work for poo poo but my watch does all the fitness tracking.

QUESTION!!! - I'm in the habit of doing about 90 minutes a day and allowing myself less when I don't feel up to it. I normally do a full week of 90 minutes, though.

As my life gets back to normal, I'm not expecting to have 90 minutes a day to spend biking. I'm also starting to level out at 159-163 pounds, which is a happy place for me. I'm ready to start maintaining weight rather than losing it. I'd still like to get more toned, but that's probably not in the cards for me.

What's more valuable at this point? 90 minutes with an active calorie burn between 700-800+? Or 60 minutes with an active calorie burn closer to 450-500?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

You already basically have tri bars and I'm guessing the bars are either not removable or not compatible with traditional bars. I would focus more on ensuring you have a good fit and posture in relation to saddle and bar height. It looks like you have a fair bit of adjustment on both, so it should be pretty easy to dial that in. You might also consider a different saddle, though that could get a bit spendy. Those big cushioned saddles aren't actually ideal and could be a contributing factor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7j9LUVJrjA

Something like this might be worth trying out (assuming you can actually install a new saddle on the bike), size dependent on your sit bone measurements from above. https://amzn.to/2YWynOB

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

charliebravo77 posted:

You already basically have tri bars and I'm guessing the bars are either not removable or not compatible with traditional bars. I would focus more on ensuring you have a good fit and posture in relation to saddle and bar height. It looks like you have a fair bit of adjustment on both, so it should be pretty easy to dial that in. You might also consider a different saddle, though that could get a bit spendy. Those big cushioned saddles aren't actually ideal and could be a contributing factor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7j9LUVJrjA

Something like this might be worth trying out (assuming you can actually install a new saddle on the bike), size dependent on your sit bone measurements from above. https://amzn.to/2YWynOB

I switched the seat to that one and it certainly improved my situation past the hard, rigid seat it had previously. My main problem with the bike itself if I have the handlebars and the seat pulled up as far as they can go.

I've not been able to snap a picture, but here is what I've noticed about my posture - the more tired I get, I stoop right where I'm experiencing pain. But, it's extremely hard to keep my back straight with how far I'm having to reach to get to the handlebars. I end up having to almost lock my arms and keep my palms resting on the bars.

If I lowered the bars any, I'd end up having to crane my neck to keep from staring at my knees.

I'm loving surprised how much the price of that bike went up. Mechanically, the wheel works fine. But the adjustability is pretty poor.

Is there a decent biking posture guide anyone here would recommend? I've basically guessed everything so far and could use some guidance. I could be doing everything totally wrong. With the coronavirus lockdown, I'm really thinking I could bike everyday for a year. I'd be proud of that until I died and don't want a tweaked back to end my streak.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

The above link plus this video should get you pretty close. The first thing to do is get your saddle position dialed in, then get your bar reach and height figured out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VYhyppWTDc

The saddle you have on there currently may inhibit getting into a proper position if it's one of the big wide cushy ones, but only one way to find out.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

charliebravo77 posted:

The above link plus this video should get you pretty close. The first thing to do is get your saddle position dialed in, then get your bar reach and height figured out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VYhyppWTDc

The saddle you have on there currently may inhibit getting into a proper position if it's one of the big wide cushy ones, but only one way to find out.

I'm an idiot that saw that link and my brain told me it was to an Amazon item.

I'll watch it now.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

charliebravo77 posted:

WFH has been a blessing in disguise, having been barefoot for a month has pretty much completely resolved all the bullshit tendonitis issues in my feet and ankles I've been having. I think I need to switch to zero drop, or very minimal drops shoes.
So I ended up getting a couple pairs of Altras (Graftons for everyday and Lone Peak 4.5s for hiking) and so far so good. Combined with being barefoot since basically March 14 or wearing zero drop shoes I haven't had any tendonitis issues in over a month now. Before I had basically perpetually had my feet/ankles taped up and had to alternate different shoes. Since that went well I decided to try a pair of Altra running shoes and got the Torin 4 Plushes. Went for a mile jog and so far so good. I can definitely still feel some tightness in the tendons that were giving me issues but i stretched them before and after. I'll give it another try in a couple days and fingers crossed can actually start running again, which is pretty much mandatory since I will be accompanying Flatland and a friend of ours on the WY elk hunt they both just drew tags for.

edit- in bike chat, having looked up that fit stuff for C-Log had me criticizing my own bike fit and I have come to the conclusion that I need a stem about 20mm shorter than I have. I tend to find myself shifting back slightly on the bars from the brifter and it sacrifices control for comfort.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I think I'm going to buy a bike.

It may be a while yet before the gym opens with no restrictions, and I'm probably going to think super-hard about going to the gym at all for a while. But I need to do something, and biking sounds fun. A few years ago, I got rid of the bike I'd bought 15 years ago and ridden maybe four times. (It was one of those "Hey, let's get bikes and totally ride all the time!" things that younger adults do.)

I'm not going to spend a ton of money. My only decision is, mountain bike or road bike? For years, big box stores only carried mountain bikes with maybe one racing-style shitbag of a bike. You know, with the big wheels and super-skinny tires. Now, they have regular road bikes. I don't need 15 speeds, but 1 speed isn't great. And I want a basket, because I never had one on my bike as a kid. Walmart is out of bikes right now because of course they are.

There is a regular cycle shop here in town, but they only sell good bikes. I'm looking for a deal, so... time to hit up the oh yeah the pawn shops aren't open yet.

«21 »