Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«21 »
Independence
Jul 11, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Some deadlifting and one arm landmine presses. Didn't feel like doing a whole lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

infrared35 posted:

Will you be my accountabilibuddies?

Kinda the point of this thread. If anyone really specifically needs help staying on track, give me a shout and I'll set myself up a thing to remind ya'll to do your fuckin' exercise.

Progress:
Standing overhead press, 3x6x8kg
Biceps Curl 3x6x8kg
Lateral Raise 3x6x8kg
Upright Rows 3x6x8kg
Pushups (inclined, no progress here but I matched what I did last time) 3x10x8kg
Squats 3x16x8kg

Been using MyFitnessPal app to track calories, and after cutting out a few cans of pop at work it turns out I'm actually at a huge deficit and I'm going to need to start eating more actual food. I'm supposed to be aiming for an intake of 2450 a day, because my job is fairly active. I burn about 470 walking to from work every day. What's my intake been?
... like 1600 tops, before any sort of exercise. So I'm gonna need at least 500ish more just to not end up starving my dumb rear end.

How's everyone else doing?

CoffeeBooze
Aug 4, 2007

Nuh Uh!

hagie posted:

But one thing I could never get rid of was my gut. I have had it since 3rd grade. I have endured all kinds of psychological attacks from "friends" I played baseball with and even my dad for a period of time. I can still feel him grabbing my gut and saying that i was a fat lazy piece of poo poo. 2 years ago I realized that for the last 15-20 years I had been wondering in and out of depression, but wasn't willing to accept it nor really understood because most people think depression automatically equals eventual suicide.

Have you thought about sitting down with a therapist to talk about this stuff man? Because it sounds like you've got some heavy poo poo on your mind that might be a part of your issues with motivation to lose weight.

Anyways, I got out to the garage and did my first 3x5 day in which I deadlifted and squatted during the same workout in probably six months. I thought it was going to beat the absolute poo poo out of me but I was actually quite alright. I do think I need to work on my garage gym a bit.

The setup is fine but a fresh coat of paint would probably make it a bit nicer. I really think little things like that can help a ton to keep me going back to hit my workouts. I just need to figure out an appropriately gawdy paint scheme for that particular corner of the garage.

With my boys about to be out for summer break I might actually get a gym membership at a local gym with childcare. Being able to pass them off to the resident kiddy funland so I can listen to a podcast and lift would probably be good for me and help me to keep hitting my workouts. It would also make it so I can take down the power cage and paint at a leisurely pace which is nice. My number one priority currently is just being consistent in hitting my workouts so pretty much anything to help keep that momentum going is a big deal.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

MohawkSatan posted:

Standing overhead press, 3x6x8kg

What does 3x6x8kg mean? 3 sets of 6 reps of 8 kilograms? (So 18 altogether for that exercise?)

CoffeeBooze
Aug 4, 2007

Nuh Uh!

The usual way people represent a rep scheme is exactly that. (number of sets)x(reps per set)x(weight). Of course since none of this stuff is standardized you will occasionally see (reps)x(numbers of sets)x(weight) just because if we dont make lifting weights seem like a confusing and impenetrable dark art its difficult for Instagram influencers to sell coaching services.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

tarlibone posted:

What does 3x6x8kg mean? 3 sets of 6 reps of 8 kilograms? (So 18 altogether for that exercise?)

Exactly that. I'm working on increasing reps per set by 1 every time I go through it all.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

I'm doing pretty good! I did my body-weight routine tuesday afternoon as previously posted. Then yesterday I biked a total of 9 km with a pretty pleasant commute. Then today I practically jumped out bed to do my body-weight routine, and had an even more pleasant bike commute! I think I figured out the ideal time window to commute the bike lane with the perfect balance of traffic. As for my body-weight routine today, it was kinda sketchy in places, so I'm going to focus on maintaining form before I tack more stuff on. Also I haven't really drank much beer, other than some post-biking radler, since tuesday. 👀 Gonna finish off this pack of radlers and see if I can keep up with the beerlessness, the motivation and direction is there. I feel like I earned my rest day tomorrow, and I'm planning to do some mountain biking on saturday so I can kill off the rest of those radlers.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 00:08 on May 24, 2019

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

I ballooned up really fast when I quit smoking a few years ago (from 165 to 215; I'm 6'1"). Over the past year I started mainly just eating less and eating less-lovely things and I lost about 1lb a week really consistently. Over the past couple months I stopped losing weight (I guess because my maintenance intake is much lower now), and I'm hovering between 170-175 now, but with a little more muscle than when I was 165, which is good.

Digging all my old jeans and tshirts out from the back of the closet and retiring the bigger stuff I bought over the past few years felt so loving good.

hagie
Apr 5, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

CoffeeBooze posted:

Have you thought about sitting down with a therapist to talk about this stuff man? Because it sounds like you've got some heavy poo poo on your mind that might be a part of your issues with motivation to lose weight.

I have thought about it. My insurance does not cover the cost very well. I am mostly functional and had my regular doctor toss me on Zoloft which helped trim some issues out. I have never been a person to want to hurt myself or others, but the meds definitely have made me feel better about a lot of things.

CoffeeBooze
Aug 4, 2007

Nuh Uh!

hagie posted:

I have thought about it. My insurance does not cover the cost very well. I am mostly functional and had my regular doctor toss me on Zoloft which helped trim some issues out. I have never been a person to want to hurt myself or others, but the meds definitely have made me feel better about a lot of things.

Youd be surprised how affordable a therapist can be. I think I pay $70 for a one hour session each month with my guy. If you call around a lot of therapists are pretty flexible about working with you. Not everyone needs to see a PhD too, LPCs can be really good and a lot more affordable. I was surprised how much better I felt taking some time to talk all the poo poo in my life out with someone who has that weird detached impartiality therapists are trained to have. I had to visit a few different ones before I found someone I really clicked with though. For a lot of them setting and meeting goals is a big thing too so they can be really helpful with that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

I started trying to lose weight around March at 218. At the beginning of April, I started calorie tracking with the "Lose It" app at nearly 214 pounds.

I had an infusion yesterday, which normally makes me gain three or four pounds for at least a couple of days. It's a ton of liquid to get added to your system.

Here is my chart today. My eventual goal is 185. My short term goal is 200.

Woop woop!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

CoffeeBooze posted:

Youd be surprised how affordable a therapist can be. I think I pay $70 for a one hour session each month with my guy. If you call around a lot of therapists are pretty flexible about working with you. Not everyone needs to see a PhD too, LPCs can be really good and a lot more affordable. I was surprised how much better I felt taking some time to talk all the poo poo in my life out with someone who has that weird detached impartiality therapists are trained to have. I had to visit a few different ones before I found someone I really clicked with though. For a lot of them setting and meeting goals is a big thing too so they can be really helpful with that.

Yeah, the thing is when you play the insurance game, you're going to have to try to deal with in-network therapists, who may charge more. Depending on your plan and their contract, their contracted rate may be more than the flat, self-pay rate charged by non-network therapists; if your mental health benefits apply to your deductible, that means that while you will be working toward meeting your deductible, you're paying more. (Also, the mental health benefits your health insurance has may use a totally different network. There is actually a logical reason for this, but it's still annoying.)

Non-contracted providers, on the other hand, set their prices to what the market will bear. My wife and I did counseling a couple years ago when we hit a rough patch. We did this for about a year, and the results were great, and it was only $70 per session. Now, that's not necessarily a tiny amount, and depending on your economic situation, it may not be affordable. But, it is very much worth it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Sorry for the double-post, but... I hit my goal today. Just below 200 lbs! I don't think I've been this "light" since my early 20s, when I could fit into jeans with a 34" waist. I'm at 36" now, but I need a belt.

So, I guess I can declare that my weight loss is accomplished and just eat whatever I want, right?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

tarlibone posted:

Sorry for the double-post, but... I hit my goal today. Just below 200 lbs! I don't think I've been this "light" since my early 20s, when I could fit into jeans with a 34" waist. I'm at 36" now, but I need a belt.

So, I guess I can declare that my weight loss is accomplished and just eat whatever I want, right?

I eat a daily half donut and I'm almost right there with you. My calorie tracker says I consume less calories when I start the day with half a donut.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I bought a bag of almonds to curb my snack cravings. They're salted, but one thing at a time. I'm cutting sodium in other areas.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Hail Arbys. I gained some weight being in a relationship for the past three years. Got single starting to lose a bunch, quickly. I didn't get to the point that I was super fat, but could definitely feel the difference mountain biking (or putting on a suit for the first time in a few years) and I hated (hate) it. It's nice being back to doing legit hikes, camping, and biking more. Even ordered a bikepacking set of bags and am amped to do a bunch of that this summer. Being even somewhat fat really sucks a bunch and was super easy to slide into over time. I am thankful for being in CO, back in CT I don't think I'd have noticed it much, but here everybody seems to be perpetually super fit (despite the amazing beer) which is a nice kick in the rear end.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Nipponophile posted:

Why am I heavy?

Because I drink too much cheap malt liquor and don't exercise.

It's not rocket science.

Yeah, plus sugar.

I’m 6’1” and currently sitting at 265.

I was up to 282 and that was a wake up call. Actually the wake up call was when I took the kids to an amusement park and they could barely close the safety bar on a roller coaster. That is some embarrassing poo poo. “Exhale really hard and press down as much as you can for that single ‘click’ moment wasn’t all that encouraging.

Plus I’m nearly 50. poo poo is only going to get worse from there unless I do something. Bad part is I’m a loving food scientist and know exactly what I SHOULD be doing, but I’m not.

So, how did I get up to the 280’s?

Well, 3-6 beers every few days after work as well as trading a factory job where I walked 20,000 steps a day and climbed ladders and helped move pallets and pallets of stuff by the 50 pound bag/box to a desk job where I literally sit on my rear end at my desk or in meetings. Before that, I was hovering in the 230-240 range.

Did I mention the candy bowls on several desks in the office?

I don’t have health problems historically, but I can sure see it coming in the future. I go on a guy’s weekend every year with my childhood friends. We go to a hunting cabin in the woods. It’s a 2 mile path to the cabin up a pretty steep hill the whole way. I was carrying my own fat rear end, a backpack that weighed about 35 lbs, and strapped a cross shoulder duffle of random crap that probably weighed another 20-25 lbs and headed up the hill.

I got half way and thought I was going to die. Just had to stop from lack of breath and my heart pounding. Plus, when I looked back at the photos of myself I was shocked to see how loving fat I looked.

Soooo, I cut down on the beer, cut down on the candy, and started heading back to the gym.

It’s spring now and I plan to start biking again. My kids are in a biking league and they ride 3 hours, 3 days a week. Time for dad to ride the flats while the Kids mountain bike.

Goal would be 200ish. I’m a big framed guy as-is and before I got mushy as gently caress had a 42” chest and 36” waist. Now it’s more like a 45” chest (and not from pull downs or chest exercises) and a 40” waist. I went from a triangular taper to a block.

So, that extra 65 is going to take some time and let me remind you younger folks that as you get older, the gains you have vanish like loving crazy and the weight comes back on in what feels like seconds unless you maintain. You have to run like hell to stay in place, at least I do.

Arthritis is starting to rear it’s ugly head and making things stiff, crunchy, and painful. Time to do something before my doctor visits turn from “I am concerned about your weight gain. This will impact your health later unless you get your poo poo together” to “you now have a laundry list of poo poo wrong with you that we will now have to medically manage for the rest of your shortened life”.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

I FUCKING LOVE COCAINE

^^^^ Office food is a goddamn scourge.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Need to get back on the band wagon. I can shitcan my career if I get weighed in over 208lbs, currently hovering around 218. Here is my sporadic weight charting from the the last year, starting at 228 on July 5th of last year.

Me and my work wife decided we would stop loving around and began to do Keto pretty hard core. I used MyFitnessPal and started tracking carbs (not really worried about calories). Dropped about 16lbs the first month just doing some sporadic runs once or twice a week. Kept doing good on Keto, weight loss became steady and I hit 203 (25 lbs down) by October. During this time I got serious about running - the biggest thing that helped me get interested was buying a used running watch (Garmin Forerunner 25 for $45) that helped me track my pace and provided audio cues when I was slower or faster than my goal pace. An old co-worker also started a running bet (who could run the most miles in a month for a new pair of shoes - I won with 100 miles and a half marathon). Most of my weight loss was before the running and almost solely due to kicking carbs. I tried Whole 30, which was loving horrible but did get me down to the lowest weight I've been in 10 years at 198lbs (30lbs down) and also showed me some interesting things about how sweetness is percieved by the body and emotional eating. But gently caress life without Coke Zero, that detox was a dangerous time for colleagues and coworkers.

Winter came, lost motivation, too cold to run outside, lazy, etc. Back up to 218. Wife is preggo what we cook is.. interestif. Going to start running again and start watching the diet - need to get back on Keto, it works but it gets old after a while.

I'll post some progress pics as I go along. Spending 30 days out in the desert on an op so food will be interesting.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

the yeti posted:

^^^^ Office food is a goddamn scourge.

100% no poo poo.

Also, my role in R&D means that I am tasting stuff all the time.

Tasting should be fine.

Eating that 3rd taste because the R&D folks did a good job is likely not

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

NosmoKing posted:

100% no poo poo.

Also, my role in R&D means that I am tasting stuff all the time.

Tasting should be fine.

Eating that 3rd taste because the R&D folks did a good job is likely not

I once worked at an upscale hellhole for a month that had Lobster Bisque as their specialty. You had to eat whatever you could grab when it was slow. I gained 15 bisque pounds in a loving month.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Captain Log posted:

I once worked at an upscale hellhole for a month that had Lobster Bisque as their specialty. You had to eat whatever you could grab when it was slow. I gained 15 bisque pounds in a loving month.

This is my hell right now. Pizza shop, free pop, and I can't really have either.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

MohawkSatan posted:

This is my hell right now. Pizza shop, free pop, and I can't really have either.

Make little pretzels with extra dough?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

MohawkSatan posted:

Gordon Ramsay started running marathons because he said he would gain a stone to a stone and a half when running specific restaurants. If you find some old pictures of him he would get temporarily beefy.

The loving IVIG infusion did damage to me today. Went up 2.2 pounds to 205. But, it will make me feel really cool when I suddenly drop three or four pounds in a day sometime this week.

Independence
Jul 11, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I ran 5k yesterday and was out doing a fun shoot this morning. I hopefully can lift tomorrow.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

70 mile bike ride planned for tomorrow. Gonna go up and cross the WI border and come back.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

My base activity level on the Apple Watch is 300 calories. Right now I'm at 387; I did some work around the house and spend a few hours at the shooting range.

Had a waffle with syrup for breakfast, a small caramel latte for lunch, and a small decaf caramel latte for dinner with half an Applebee's quesadilla burger. So mostly not great calories, but way fewer than I think I would normaly take in.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ate way more than i should have today but I donated blood so i figured my body needs the sugar and protein more than I need my pants to fit better.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Had an old ATV tire kicking around, picked up a 50 foot length of junk reflective rope, took the closest sized drill bit from the junk bit drawer, cranked a hole through the thickest tread, passed the end of the rope through, tied a bunched mess of a doubled figure eight as a stopper knot, and wound up with a kid-friendly tire drag. For adults, can just pack rocks in it.

A neighbor had dumped an old trailer tire down the retaining wall into my woods and cleverly hidden it by dropping an old junk picnic table over top. Dragged that tire out but it was even lighter with less concave inner contour to hold added weights so that was a waste of time.

Also split some wood with an axe, carried pottery planters of sizes small to large around the yard as we start on the mint and herb selection around our main retaining wall., moved 3/4" plywood around, lugged wet 2x4s, caught and managed drops from the guy running the cirgular saw, and held a reciprocating saw over my head for a few reps.

Gonna go shooting, tomorrow. Will use the hike-in range pulling a wagon with my barricade and 8" plate plus stand, shoot the burpee part of this month's postal with my carry gun, and do Pat McNamara's Set It Off drill with my bedside Hi-Point 4095 using the barricade in halves to force dropping in and out of kneeling or squatting at each position.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Party Plane Jones posted:

the key once you hop over your mid 20s is to stop drinking your calories, whether its by soda or juice or by booze

Cut out beer and eat a decent lunch and it's pretty impressive the difference I see.
Unfortunately I really like beer and I go to work at 0445 so I'm always making excuses against making lunch in the dark.

I'm 5'10" 155, actually trying to add muscle and gain weight.

CoffeeBooze
Aug 4, 2007

Nuh Uh!

If you are trying to add muscle a calorie surplus is actually a good thing. If you want to pack on mass you are inevitably going to be adding fat too. Its just one of those things.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Can you build muscle while running a calorie deficit by burning fat? I mean, he's 5'10" 155lb so probably doesn't have a lot of fat to burn, but what about people who do?

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

We all got it coming, kid

What are some exercises one could do to reduce their overall torso size? Note: My left shoulder is wack as hell and doesn't have the greatest rotational range anymore.

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

frunksock posted:

Can you build muscle while running a calorie deficit by burning fat? I mean, he's 5'10" 155lb so probably doesn't have a lot of fat to burn, but what about people who do?

A few of my friends from my running days who were all 6’-0” and under 150 lbs decided they were going to bulk up after they quit running competitively and they would have to surplus out so many calories to really build muscle mass and then they would lose it so quickly if they got back into endurance sports or didn’t over eat constantly. It certainly depends on existing body composition too but slim guys won’t bulk up without running significant calorie surpluses.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I'm using a weight gainer/bulking supplement every morning, so I'm definitely trying to keep calories up. I just notice a big difference in where the weight goes when I'm able to lay off crappy food and beer in particular. I'm trying to add useful muscle, not a gut.

To Flatland's point too, even when I can get some solid weight on (I was around 175-180 when I was working ramp at airports) it just vanishes if I don't keep up with it.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

charliebravo77 posted:

70 mile bike ride planned for tomorrow. Gonna go up and cross the WI border and come back.

Border crossing cancelled due to wet nasty trail, but did 55 miles today. I'm hungry.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Man of the Rising Sun

I'm gonna quit drinking booze for a few weeks.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Man, I thought that last photo said "Turbo White Bread Honey Bun" and I was going to yell at them for doxxing me and my college wrestling name.

But nice ride anyway!

Edit: Today I got up a little early, loaded up the car, and drove to Canada where I spent six-ish hours shooting an IPSC match. I had four strips of bacon and a hard-boiled egg for breakfast along with two large mugs of decaf coffee with creamer. Had a mug of Earl Grey, a bottle of water, and a mug of regular coffee with cream and sugar during the match, then a Tim Horton's Farmer's Wrap (flour tortilla, eggs, cheese, sausage) and another cup of coffee with cream and sugar for late lunch. Then I had another bottle of water and a small bottle of fancy beer with a handful of cheese ravioli and red pasta sauce for dinner. I should've been wearing my Apple Watch to track movement/calories, but I didn't know if it was going to rain or not.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 27, 2019

CoffeeBooze
Aug 4, 2007

Nuh Uh!

frunksock posted:

I am not a scientist, dietitian or other person with actual training on the topic, but the general consensus among most of the various forms of lifting weights is no. At least not unless you are using drugs. The working theory for most people is that in order to add muscle your body needs a caloric surplus, which also means you will gain some fat along the way. This is why people go through cycles of bulking and cutting where they eat a ton of calories and lift like crazy to pack on the weight, then switch to a caloric deficit and reduce the volume of training they do to lose some of the fat they put on.

When I first started lifting I had a ton of trouble putting on weight until I starting eating around 5,000 calories a day. Then I started just packing on both fat and muscle and got to be pretty freaking strong. Whole milk and peanut butter do wonders for helping you to get bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Nap Ghost

Capn Beeb posted:

What are some exercises one could do to reduce their overall torso size? Note: My left shoulder is wack as hell and doesn't have the greatest rotational range anymore.

Spot removal isn't a thing. Find a diet that you can stick to, and find a mix of resistance and cardio that you can stick to too. You can get massively fit with just bodyweight exercises, so that might be a good place to start.

«21 »