Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«21 »
DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

tarlibone posted:

I think I'm going to buy a bike.

It may be a while yet before the gym opens with no restrictions, and I'm probably going to think super-hard about going to the gym at all for a while. But I need to do something, and biking sounds fun. A few years ago, I got rid of the bike I'd bought 15 years ago and ridden maybe four times. (It was one of those "Hey, let's get bikes and totally ride all the time!" things that younger adults do.)

I'm not going to spend a ton of money. My only decision is, mountain bike or road bike? For years, big box stores only carried mountain bikes with maybe one racing-style shitbag of a bike. You know, with the big wheels and super-skinny tires. Now, they have regular road bikes. I don't need 15 speeds, but 1 speed isn't great. And I want a basket, because I never had one on my bike as a kid. Walmart is out of bikes right now because of course they are.

There is a regular cycle shop here in town, but they only sell good bikes. I'm looking for a deal, so... time to hit up the oh yeah the pawn shops aren't open yet.

Don't buy a walmart bike. Don't buy a dirt cheap mountain bike. Your floor for "Decent bike" is a hybrid like a Giant Escape, which I think start just under $400. Bad news, you'll have to look, especially if you're in a common medium or large size (XS and XLs tend to hang out longer). A lot of others have had the same thought and bike stores are just totally hosed for any stock of sub $1k bikes. Good news though, if you want to buy a good $1k or up bike, they're still out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

You know my response - Exercise bike in front of TV.

My weight has leveled off between 161-163, which puts me around 55 pounds lost total in the last twelve months. I'm beyond happy being at this weight. I also know I could lose more, but I really like to only lose weight with a maintainable diet. Yeah, I watch my calories and avoid bad carbs. But I also like my frozen yoghurt, protein bars, and apples with the occasional starburst or Skittles bag thrown in.

Even though it's harder to quantify, 163 today looks better than 163 a month ago. I'm pretty sure I'm still continuing to tone up, just without a lot of weight loss at the same time.

I'm going to have a very in depth conversation with my neurologist and neurologist friend about further exercises I can do for tone. I don't want to break anything that can't be fixed. But I'd also like to look a little less like a fat skeleton.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Heh. Yeah, if the Wall of Marts doesn't have any stock, then I'm sure the sub-$1K at the cycle shops are also gone. And $1000 is way above what I want to pay. I don't want to be a bicyclist as a new hobby. I just want to bike around my absurdly hilly town.

With stuff in my basket.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

tarlibone posted:

Heh. Yeah, if the Wall of Marts doesn't have any stock, then I'm sure the sub-$1K at the cycle shops are also gone. And $1000 is way above what I want to pay. I don't want to be a bicyclist as a new hobby. I just want to bike around my absurdly hilly town.

With stuff in my basket.

Give local shops a call and see what they have, or religiously check craigslist/facebook marketplace. You don't need to buy a nice, expensive bike (though they are rad), but you do need to pay at least a certain amount for durability and decent support. On the upside it's super worth it, biking is great.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

DeesGrandpa posted:

Don't buy a walmart bike. Don't buy a dirt cheap mountain bike. Your floor for "Decent bike" is a hybrid like a Giant Escape, which I think start just under $400. Bad news, you'll have to look, especially if you're in a common medium or large size (XS and XLs tend to hang out longer). A lot of others have had the same thought and bike stores are just totally hosed for any stock of sub $1k bikes. Good news though, if you want to buy a good $1k or up bike, they're still out there.

Yeah, cheap bikes are loving awful. Back when I didn't know better and had a ~$200 full suspension "mountain" bike I bought my wife a $75-100 Target bike that weighed like 45 pounds despite the components being made of the cheapest possible materials. Both of them went into a dumpster when they both fell apart after what was probably the equivalent of 100 miles worth of riding. A few years after that I bought a Specialized road bike for ~$1100 and put 2k miles on it in a couple years, sold it to my brother who continues to ride it now about 6 years later only replacing tubes and tires. I currently ride a Giant TCX cyclocross bike which is what I would recommend to anyone living in Illinois who wants to ride a combination of roads, MUPs, rail-to-trail crushed limestone/dirt paths, farm roads, etc. I've got one wheelset with road tires and one with knobbier cross tires and it's like having a Subaru WRX on two wheels. I did also end up getting my wife a Specialized Vita for ~$500 which she's ridden a few times and is about what I would consider bare minimum for a bicycle worth buying. I know the appeal of fixing up an old vintage bike is there but goddamn if it ain't nice to jump on something that just works without having to source obscurely sized parts or make adjustments every time you go out.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 22, 2020

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Bikepostin'

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I got a hybrid for about $500, maybe $550 or $600 with a couple accessories. Fast enough for a road, sturdy enough to hop curbs and take the occasional short off-road cut.

Rode it 6 days/week for a year and loved it. IIRC a Trek FX2. Definitely an FX but maybe not FX2.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

I got a hybrid for about $500, maybe $550 or $600 with a couple accessories. Fast enough for a road, sturdy enough to hop curbs and take the occasional short off-road cut.

Rode it 6 days/week for a year and loved it. IIRC a Trek FX2. Definitely an FX but maybe not FX2.

Yeah, that's in the same category as the Escape and I'm sure Specialized has a similar series. The escape (base model) was actually what got me back into riding as someone who hadn't since I was maybe 10. I was a sophomore in College, got a job at the hospital about 10 (very hilly) miles away, but couldn't get a parking pass to park my car on campus so I had to make do. I loved it, rode it for fun, to commute, and for exercise, and beat the absolute poo poo out of it (including storing it outside) until it got stolen while I was replacing the drivetrain several years later.

All my current bikes are "better", but I'd absolutely not hesitate to recommend one to bikecurious person.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Even though it's doubtful I'll ever use it again, I still have my main mountainbike I got in the mid 90's.

A Gary Fisher Mamba. I did all sorts of poo poo to that bike and love it to death. The only thing it needed that I never did was a better shock in the front. It just had the Rock Shoxx Grey cheapo model.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Captain Log posted:

Even though it's doubtful I'll ever use it again, I still have my main mountainbike I got in the mid 90's.

A Gary Fisher Mamba. I did all sorts of poo poo to that bike and love it to death. The only thing it needed that I never did was a better shock in the front. It just had the Rock Shoxx Grey cheapo model.

I don't know enough about your condition to make a real recommendation but if you are able to still balance ok (and get up onto the bike should it fall), have the upper body strength to sustain downhills and steer, and pedal (which you seem to be doing), you might be a good candidate for an ebike. The tech for good mountain ebikes is still kinda expensive, but it works pretty drat well. I'm not a fan of them in general, but that's mostly for the grumpy old man in me who's just mad at people not having to put in the work to have the fun, and bringing a lot of new people who don't know they're doing up stuff they wouldn't otherwise be getting up. You, however, would be an ideal use case as someone with some physical limitations who it might help actually get back outside and on the trails.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

DeesGrandpa posted:

I don't know enough about your condition to make a real recommendation but if you are able to still balance ok (and get up onto the bike should it fall), have the upper body strength to sustain downhills and steer, and pedal (which you seem to be doing), you might be a good candidate for an ebike. The tech for good mountain ebikes is still kinda expensive, but it works pretty drat well. I'm not a fan of them in general, but that's mostly for the grumpy old man in me who's just mad at people not having to put in the work to have the fun, and bringing a lot of new people who don't know they're doing up stuff they wouldn't otherwise be getting up. You, however, would be an ideal use case as someone with some physical limitations who it might help actually get back outside and on the trails.

I've looked at those just a little bit. Hell, I've even been able to bike around my condo. The problem with my health stuff is a bunch of question marks.

To keep it brief - My condition is still unspecified motor neuron, meaning they don't know precisely what it is. They have an idea (a subset called MOMA or MAMA) but they cannot confirm it. With that being said, what I should and shouldn't do it really vague and undefined. IVIG gave me a lot of function back, but I still have pretty poor ankle function and nerve damage. My neurologist told me explicitly not to exercise. Then he told me I could walk, but no more than a half hour with five minute breaks every ten minutes. I decided to gamble with my legs and found out I could do the exercise bike with clip in pedals.

The scary thing about mountain biking, or BJJ, or anything is how my body would respond to an injury. If I took a header off a mountain bike and broke some bones, the damage to the tissue might not heal right depending where it's located.

That's why I'm lucky to have a good friend who is a board certified neurologist. I get to ask him stuff and get pretty straight answers. Sadly, "high risk" activity is something I'm not ready to jump into just yet.

Sorry to go off the health deep end there. When I see stuff like those bikes it's hard not to scream, "MINE!!!" and go grab one tomorrow.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Had a really solid feeling ride tonight. Put down 30 miles in just under 2 hours. Closing in on my 16mph+ goal for that distance. Just gotta keep regular rides going. I lost like 40lbs the first summer I started riding like 7 years ago so maybe I can repeat that again.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

charliebravo77 posted:

Had a really solid feeling ride tonight. Put down 30 miles in just under 2 hours. Closing in on my 16mph+ goal for that distance. Just gotta keep regular rides going. I lost like 40lbs the first summer I started riding like 7 years ago so maybe I can repeat that again.

Hell yeah, you can. It only gets easier once it becomes routine.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

DeesGrandpa posted:

Don't buy a walmart bike. Don't buy a dirt cheap mountain bike.

For real, avoid those things like the 'rona.

All advice given so far has been good, but I would also add to focus on figuring out what kind of biking you actually want to do. If you want to get into singletrack mountain bike trail riding, then sure look into mountain bikes, but it sounds like you more so want something to ride around town in. Fitness/city bikes are great for that, simple road bikes with straight handle bars and disc brakes. 15 speed seems rather low by todays standards, 18 is more average these days. Don't think too much about there being too many speeds, you'll appreciate the flexibility on hills.

Biking is fun and cool.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Back in my teens when I was a mountain bike guy, I always wanted a Cannondale.

Are those still the hot poo poo? How about Shimano XT components?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

So I bought a Giant Cypress. I had to go a few towns over to find a bike shop that was open and had sub-one-kilodollar stock, but it was worth it. I tried a few bikes, and this one was nice and has a color I love.

It has only 7 speeds, but I wasn't looking for a 21 speed bike. For my purposes, 7 should be sufficient.

My wife also got a bike, a cool 7 speed cruiser from Schwinn. A Traveler or something like that. She's been wanting a cruiser for a while.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

The number of gears doesn't matter so much as the gear ratios in relation to the terrain you are riding. A single speed is fine for most metro/urban environments but you wouldn't want to climb a mountain with one, at least not in a gear ratio that would be suitable for the former. Congrats though, Giant is a great brand and probably the best bang:buck for bikes across the spectrum. That deep gray with orange accents is pretty slick too.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Mine is metallic navy in color. I think that's what it's called.

And yeah, I figured 7 speeds is plenty for my purposes. I am not planning on going cross-country with this thing. At most, I'll cruise up the Great River Road (there is an excellent bike trail along the Mississippi between the cities of Alton and Grafton in Illinois), and I plan on cycling around town. At least a few miles a day.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

Oh yeah, 7 gears should be plenty enough for that sort of riding. I appreciate my granny gear when on climbing trails, but it doesn't even get used when I'm just biking around town.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

tarlibone posted:

Mine is metallic navy in color. I think that's what it's called.

And yeah, I figured 7 speeds is plenty for my purposes. I am not planning on going cross-country with this thing. At most, I'll cruise up the Great River Road (there is an excellent bike trail along the Mississippi between the cities of Alton and Grafton in Illinois), and I plan on cycling around town. At least a few miles a day.

I actually want to do some riding in that part of the state, maybe after all this covid horseshit dies down I'll take a trip down there. Could tie it into the opening of squirrel season and do some hunting too...

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

tarlibone posted:

It has only 7 speeds, but I wasn't looking for a 21 speed bike. For my purposes, 7 should be sufficient.

Total numbers of gears mean nothing now that triples chainrings have been absent the serious cycling world for a decade. Hell of my 4 bikes,1 mtb, 2 cyclocross and 1 road, only one has a double and the rest are single chainrings but rear cassettes have ~11 gears covering a much wider range. 12 rear gears is becoming more common now on high end bikes. 1x bikes are now to the 500% gear range in some cases.

Having a triple means a lot of gears are cross chained and inefficient as hell. Iíve also never seen a front derailleur on a triple run well. I donít miss those things at all.

Captain Log posted:

Back in my teens when I was a mountain bike guy, I always wanted a Cannondale.

Are those still the hot poo poo? How about Shimano XT components?

XT is the durable, conservative relatively inexpensive mountain groupset you put on a high end mountain bike. XTR is the Gucci gear. Iíve had it on my last 2 mountain bikes and itís pretty solid stuff though Shimano mountain components have really been playing catch up to SRAM since 1x drivetrains came out. You are probably talking about 5 generations ago of XT at this point. Shimano hasnít changed itís naming conventions in 25 years for mechanical group sets. Itís still XTR-XT-SLX-Deore-Alivio-Acera the same way itís Dura Ace-Ultegra-105-Tiagra-Sora on the road.

Cannondale makes some good race bikes but their mountain bikes have always been a bit odd with their proprietary lefty forks.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Just gave the Cypress a first little road text. The gentle but long grade going up my street to a main road was easy to manage in the low middle gears, and going down a parallel street was fun, especially in the higher gears. Riding on flat pavement is as easy as it was around the shop.

Then, I rode down the gentlest hill separating the higher and lower parts of my town. That was fun, even if I was riding the brakes like an elderly driver. Going back up... yeah, that's a different beast from the recumbent bikes at the gym. I made it, but next time, I'll start with momentum. I can say, though, that 1st gear is pretty much a granny gear. Thankfully.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Flatland Crusoe posted:

XTR-XT-SLX-Deore-Alivio-Acera

You just blew my mind. When I was thirteen I obsessed over that stuff. I was SO proud when I upgraded my rear derailer to an XT.

I might have to go take pictures of my Gary Fisher when it isn't loving pouring.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

I'm still on Deore crappy stuff.

I have been thinking about getting a fancier mountain bike, with better components, full suspension, 1x11 drivetrain or something, the works. But then when I price out what I want, it's inevitably like $3k, and I realize I can buy multiple guns with that money.

One day I will pull the trigger.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

I upgraded all the components on my Mamba 29er to Shimano XT and the most important and noticeable change for me were the improved brakes.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Yuns posted:

I upgraded all the components on my Mamba 29er to Shimano XT and the most important and noticeable change for me were the improved brakes.

When I was into mountain biking, V brakes came out. Suddenly, everyone was swapping from cantilever and U brakes to V breaks.

I saved up money for the longest time to switch. To this day, I cannot fully comprehend what a difference that made. When I got my $500 Mamba in the mid 90's, it had "fancy" cantilevers.

Then there were the downhill mountain bikers with loving hydraulic disc brakes, but that was in the "small car" pricing territory.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Disc brakes are the best and I'll never go back to rim brakes. I'm 15 miles into some yet to be determined distance and I'm melting. Why can't it be 68f and sunny with a light breeze every day?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

charliebravo77 posted:

Disc brakes are the best and I'll never go back to rim brakes. I'm 15 miles into some yet to be determined distance and I'm melting. Why can't it be 68f and sunny with a light breeze every day?

If you're able to thumb type and bike, I'm impressed. If I tried that I'd likely catch fire.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

No, I found a picnic table in the shade behind a commercial building to get out of the sun for a few. Not that I haven't replied to texts while riding.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Perfect timing for bike chat! The wife and I want to get back on the trails after a 15-year hiatus from trail riding. We're not looking at proper Mountain Biking, but wooded trails with mostly easy and small hills.

Back in the day, my wife had a new Trek and I had a used Gary Fisher (Mamba I think) that we both loved, but we moved to an area where there was no good place to ride. Now we've found a bunch of trails within a 15-minute drive that allow bicycles, and we're getting the itch.

Is there any way to get into decent used bikes for $250 each these days?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Thereís a nice technical MTB trail about 10 miles from me but itís notoriously wet this time of year and doesnít really open permanently until July when it dries out. We had a really dry stretch this spring and they opened it, so I tossed the bike in the truck and hit it after work.

A little over a mile in and my freaking derailleur disassembled itself on the trail. I found all but one part, so I couldnít reassemble it on the trail so I hiked the bike back.

Ordered the parts I needed, put it together this weekend and it looks like somehow during this event the cage got bent. I fought with it with no real luck. Hopefully the shop can fix it.

I guess this is a fairly common issue with the SRAM NX Eagle derailleurs. The sprocket mechanism doesnít have a traditional bearing, so they lock up and unthread themselves from the cage. Their highest end stuff has sprockets with real bearings so I may do that as an upgrade if they can fix it.

This is road bike season anyway but last year after I bought my Timberjack I got very fond of riding the roads all morning and then the trails all afternoon on Saturdays so hopefully I can get it fixed quickly.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

Perfect timing for bike chat! The wife and I want to get back on the trails after a 15-year hiatus from trail riding. We're not looking at proper Mountain Biking, but wooded trails with mostly easy and small hills.

Back in the day, my wife had a new Trek and I had a used Gary Fisher (Mamba I think) that we both loved, but we moved to an area where there was no good place to ride. Now we've found a bunch of trails within a 15-minute drive that allow bicycles, and we're getting the itch.

Is there any way to get into decent used bikes for $250 each these days?

I still have a Gary Fisher Mamba!

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.

College Slice

Bikes are hot right now. I sold mine in less than an hour, turned around and bought one from Facebook marketplace the next day. There seemed to be a lot to choose from but Iíd expect deals to go fast.

We took a long ride today. The city has designated certain roads as bikeways with signage to nearby destinations. Itís great.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

First real workout in 2 months.

And, 3.3 miles of blacktop hilly streets > 10 miles of "Hill" on a stationary recumbent bike. My effing gosh!

Correction: 4.3 miles. Did 2 even w/ the Mrs., and 2.3 by my lonesome.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 26, 2020

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Had to drop a bunch of water weight for a weight in, trying to be better and lost the weight normally. Cutting down on the booze. Ran 44 miles in the last month, 12.4 last 7 days. Usually about 3+ miles every day with a day off now and then.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Ceros_X posted:

Had to drop a bunch of water weight for a weight in, trying to be better and lost the weight normally. Cutting down on the booze. Ran 44 miles in the last month, 12.4 last 7 days. Usually about 3+ miles every day with a day off now and then.

What are you cutting for?

I'm less than a week away from three hundred days of biking in a row. My average is close to 90 minutes, but I'm winding that back down to 60. While I'd like to look more toned, I don't need to lose more weight.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

tarlibone posted:

First real workout in 2 months.

And, 3.3 miles of blacktop hilly streets > 10 miles of "Hill" on a stationary recumbent bike. My effing gosh!

Correction: 4.3 miles. Did 2 even w/ the Mrs., and 2.3 by my lonesome.

Unless the stationary bike has a real power meter and you're putting down comparable watts on climbs then "hills" are meaningless and will destroy you IRL if you haven't ridden much before.

Pro-tip: stay in the saddle on climbs, just shift to a higher gear. I used to absolutely blow myself up standing up out of the saddle trying to power up hills but I'm actually faster just staying in the saddle and increasing cadence with a higher gear.

Back ~7 years ago when I bought my first real bike I did 1.5 miles and almost threw up. Now, cranking out 30 mi in 2 hours after work isn't a problem and longer 50+ mi rides are also doable.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Ha. Yesterday, I did finish a hill standing up, and I was wobbly as hell. It was really steep, in my defense. My town is weird. Today, I took a similar one, but this time I jusr kept downshifting. I finished in 1st gear, but I stayed in the saddle.

Also, it was a lot of fun. Don't know why I waited so long. Oh yeah, I had guns to buy.

I am tracking with Map My Ride.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Oh yeah, if you don't have a proper bike pump with a pressure gauge on it that's a must buy. I went a while riding on tubes that felt firmly enough to the touch but we're hilariously under filled. One getting them to the proper pressure it was much-needed easier to pedal and I was way faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Good snag on the Cyprus. Even if I don't care much for that style you got a bike that will work, will have parts available, will have factory support, and will get you riding.

Also, get tall if you want to still find bikes. Snagged this truly bizarre XL Salsa fargo build today for a song. Still debating how much I'm going to change on it.

«21 »