Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«21 »
Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Captain Log posted:

What are you cutting for?

I'm less than a week away from three hundred days of biking in a row. My average is close to 90 minutes, but I'm winding that back down to 60. While I'd like to look more toned, I don't need to lose more weight.

So I don't get fired and can get promoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Ceros_X posted:

So I don't get fired and can get promoted.

Ahhh, gotcha. Thought you were about to do some BJJ.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Local shop has a used Trek for $350 or a new Head for $500. WSYTFR?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

infrared35 posted:

Local shop has a used Trek for $350 or a new Head for $500. WSYTFR?

Not knowing models or components or condition, I'd say Trek.

Jehde
Apr 20, 2010

Who protects?

Grimey Drawer

I biked like 12km :toopoopedtotoot:

I figured out the detour for the urban trail I've been using, which goes up and practically over the highway bridge you can kinda see through the trees in the background. That climb was not fun.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Rode 45 miles this morning with almost 1k ft of elevation which is about as good as it gets in Chicagoland unless you're just doing hill repeats on an overpass. Despite some headwinds on the first half it felt really good to get out and climb some hills.

Then I mowed the lawn and filled six big lawn bags with clippings.

Then I ran day two of the Garmin Training Plan I am doing. Basically a more tailored C25K that adjusts based on performance. 5k "Race" scheduled for Aug 8.

Gonna sleep well tonight I hope. Might ride the same route again tomorrow depending on how my legs feel in 12 hours.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

charliebravo77 posted:

Rode 45 miles this morning with almost 1k ft of elevation which is about as good as it gets in Chicagoland unless you're just doing hill repeats on an overpass. Despite some headwinds on the first half it felt really good to get out and climb some hills.

Then I mowed the lawn and filled six big lawn bags with clippings.

Then I ran day two of the Garmin Training Plan I am doing. Basically a more tailored C25K that adjusts based on performance. 5k "Race" scheduled for Aug 8.

Gonna sleep well tonight I hope. Might ride the same route again tomorrow depending on how my legs feel in 12 hours.

drat man, you are doing some serious work. Do you have any personal fitness goals with the biking?
-
Today was day 300 in a row for me. I'm closing in on a year without a single break. I want to hit that year.

I should probably take some before and after pictures.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I'm heading up the River Road tomorrow. I could go all the way to Grafton, but that's actually quite a little ride, and round trip that'd be about 25 miles or so. I don't think I'm there yet. But I should be able to do 10 miles at least. This isn't a hilly ride. In fact, it's largely flat, with the exception of some gentle (but sort-of long) grades in a few spots where the bike path goes up the side of the bluff a bit. It's an exceptionally pretty ride, though. I know y'all like your mountains and your oceans and all that crap, but I love driving along the Mississippi. I hope riding along it is just as nice. I'm sure it will be.

I'm not going to be racing or anything; just doing some moderate exercise. My goal is to be able to get all the way to Grafton at some point this year. I've wanted to do that ever since I was a kid.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Captain Log posted:

drat man, you are doing some serious work. Do you have any personal fitness goals with the biking?
-
Today was day 300 in a row for me. I'm closing in on a year without a single break. I want to hit that year.

I should probably take some before and after pictures.

Lose weight? Get faster?

I have a 100mi/wk goal that I should probably be able to hit as long as I keep at it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

charliebravo77 posted:

Lose weight? Get faster?

I have a 100mi/wk goal that I should probably be able to hit as long as I keep at it.

With the type of effort you’re putting in, you’re going to smash those goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Just finished a 14 mile ride up the River Road. And I am at The Loading Dock, so I ordered a beer and a strawberry daiquiri (his and hers drinks) for a recharge before we head back.

Nobody here is social distancing, so we're hanging out in the empty warehouse thing where they have flea markets every month (and an ice rink in the winter).

It was not a difficult ride, and I wish I had worked up the gumption to do it earlier. It's been something I have wanted to do since I was a kid.

Edit: Done! Twenty-eight miles. Not a lot of elevation gained, since this is a pretty flat ride, but that's far and away the longest bike ride I've ever done in my life.

Lessons learned:
  • I like my cheapo backpack with hydration pocket. It works and carries stuff.
  • That said, bring along my weirdo fanny pack thing that fits over the shoulder (it's this one) to make it easier to get to my phone.
  • If you keep moving, the sun won't kill you. At least, it won't if it's below 90 degrees Freedomheit. And when you're in a shady area, it feels amazing.
  • If you stop at any point on the trail between Alton and Grafton, Illinois, you will be set upon by a massive swarm of one of Illinois' co-state birds, the gnat. Holy hell. I stopped to take a couple of pictures and probably inhaled 37 bugs.
  • Wear sunglasses next time.
  • Maybe get a bell or something to alert the pedestrians on the bike path that I'm coming up behind them.

That was a lot of fun.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 31, 2020

«21 »