Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

charliebravo77 posted:

Lose weight? Get faster?

I have a 100mi/wk goal that I should probably be able to hit as long as I keep at it.

Haven't really been losing much weight, though I must be converting fat to muscle since I am trending faster on my ~30mi route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

charliebravo77 posted:

Haven't really been losing much weight, though I must be converting fat to muscle since I am trending faster on my ~30mi route.

Are you doing a calorie tracker?

For me it hasnít been what I eat, but how much. Now that Iím at 160-165, I have added bagels back into the rotation.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Captain Log posted:

Are you doing a calorie tracker?

For me it hasnít been what I eat, but how much. Now that Iím at 160-165, I have added bagels back into the rotation.

No, I'm too lazy for that. I just have to bike/be active more. Today I'll have burned probably over 6k calories and I know for drat sure I ate way less than that many.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

charliebravo77 posted:

No, I'm too lazy for that. I just have to bike/be active more. Today I'll have burned probably over 6k calories and I know for drat sure I ate way less than that many.

I'll say this about it - it's a lot of work at the start, but once your food choices start to get saved in whatever program you use, it gets a lot easier.

I do tend to eat a lot of the same stuff, which also makes it easier.

This has been my maintain weight food for the past week or two -

Breakfast -

Protein Bar
Bagel
Whipped Berry Cream Cheese

Lunch -

100 Calorie Bagel Thin
Ham
Gouda/Swiss/Cheddar, one slice
Scrambled Egg
Greek Frozen Yoghurt Pop

Dinner -

3 Ounces of Pork
Beans OR Crackers with cream cheese
Greek Yoghurt

Floating Snack -

Sugar Free Popsicles or Six Starburst

That clocks in at about 1750 calories. I burn about 500 calories a day on the bike for a hour now. I was doing 90 minutes and eating lighter when I was actively trying to lose weight. But maintenance is easier to do 60 minutes.

I've tried lightening up the morning meal, but then I crash out on the bike and get a lovely burn.

Siamang
Nov 15, 2003

Eat some vegetables. At least mix some spinach in with your scrambled egg.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

The gym is open and I didn't even know. Must have recently reopened.

Every other machine is off limits. Mrs. Tarlibone has a hernia requiring a big operation to fix, so she can't do any substantial weight training. But I can't wait to work out. Three months for a break is too long.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Siamang posted:

Eat some vegetables. At least mix some spinach in with your scrambled egg.

Yeah, I'd say with that diet you're partly losing weight due to being malnourished as much as the calorie reduction.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Thatís just the bare bones. I have left over calories that give me the freedom to add stuff where I need it. There is always more than that at the end of the day, because I donít want to lose more weight. Iíve stayed steady for a few months. My most normal add ons are apples, bananas, oranges/clementines/mandarins, strawberries, or whatever fruit is in the house. Or more eggs.

I also take some supplements because veggies are a weak spot for me.

The main reason I listed that was showing how calories counting gets easy once your tracker has all your foods and you get used to doing it. Doing the counting isnít a time drain.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

X-post from YLLS bike touring thread:

A few days ago I went on a trial run overnight bikepacking trip with my brother. A while back I got a set of nice Ortlieb bikepacking bags and already own some ultralight backpacking gear from my other outdoor activities so there was minimal ramp up. I'm a fatass at (as of leaving for the trip) 288lbs but have been regularly riding and know I can easily do 60+ mile days with good pacing, hydration and food. My brother probably weighs like 100lbs less and is in "good shape." Despite telling him to go ride his (my old) bike regularly evidently he hadn't actually "ridden" anything since an exercise bike in February at the gym pre-COVID but figured he'd be fine.

I found a bikes-only campground at a county forest preserve right on the IL/WI border and laid out a 50 mile route for the trip there and a 60 mile route option for the way back if we didn't just backtrack. I loaded up my TCX with the bags, gear and food and attached a rack to his Allez and bungeed a couple dry bags to it, which worked well enough. With that we left my house at about 12:30pm for what I figured would be a 4.5 hour ride accounting for the weight and not rushing.

IMG_20200628_153339_556 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

20200628_143330 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Started off really strong, but it was mostly flat - once we started hitting rolling hills he was hurting real bad. Kept telling him to sit on my back wheel and let me do most the work but after a minute or two I'd look back and he would be falling way behind. Repeat for 10 miles or so.

2020-07-02_01-03-59 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

I made the route pass by a few gas stations at strategic points to refill on fluids and stop in some shade for a few minutes. This was a good idea since he was going through water super fast. I got a pickle snack at one stop which was super refreshing.

20200628_174853 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

At about the 25 mile mark we had to stop for a little shade and to summon some willpower.

DSCF5367 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

DSCF5385 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

The route was about 2/3 roads and 1/3 trail/MUP, one of which was freshly paved and super nice to ride.

20200628_185410 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

20200628_182431 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

20200628_184853 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Fatty cyclist
20200628_185403 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Finally made it to the campsite after almost 6.5 hours, which admittedly was faster than I had budgeted for. Moving time was actually 3.75 hours but with all the stops we made it took quite a bit longer. I made the call to set up tents while it was still light out before riding 3 miles into town for dinner and a beer. This was the right call to make because when we got back to camp the mosquitoes were absolutely loving horrific and I'd have probably given up and started riding home just to avoid getting eaten alive rather than try and set up two tents. I even brought a Thermacell and bug spray foreseeing bugs being "bad" but they absolutely did not give a gently caress about either.

I used my 3p ultralight tent so I had plenty of room to stow my frame inside the tent with me, wheels in the vestibule to avoid things getting potentially rained on or stolen. Locked my brother's bike up to a rack.

20200628_221840 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Woke up the next morning a bit after sunrise and packed everything up, fortunately with way fewer bugs.

20200629_062720 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Rode back into town, which required going up and over the border, to grab some breakfast, which my brother did basically out of the saddle the whole time since his sit bones were screaming. I bought him a travel pack of ibuprofen from the gas station we filled water at and hoped for the best.

20200629_082744 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

20200629_085734 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

I had mentally picked out a "point of no return" stop to gauge his level of ability to keep going, both from an energy and sit bones perspective and sure enough after we rode another 5 or 6 miles after breakfast and the sun really started to peak I pulled off to a picnic pavilion in a forest preserve and asked him if he thought he could keep going. Big ol' nope and I called my wife to bring my truck to pick us up. Fortunately I warned her ahead of time that might happen.

20200629_102408 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

At least the scenery was nice while waiting.

DSCF5394 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

DSCF5399 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

My biggest takeaway from the trip is that even though my brother was in better "shape" in theory he didn't have the baseline fitness or experience riding for 5+ hours straight to know how to handle that kind of thing. I kept trying to get water, electrolytes and food into him at every opportunity but at a certain point it just wasn't enough somehow. He still enjoyed the trip and we'll probably do another one again this summer but I think it really put into perspective for him how important that baseline is, even if he's in pretty decent shape from a height/weight perspective. In his defense, the forecast was way different from reality. On our second day it was supposed to be mostly cloudy with intermittent chances for rain and a high of 80. It was actually bright and sunny and the temp was like 92 feels like 100+ by mid morning. Honestly I'm not sure I would have made it all the way back with those kind of temps so it was probably not the worst outcome to have bailed. We ended up doing like 65 miles total between the two days.

Anyway that's the story of how I broke my brother on a long bike ride.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

My man, you are a legit bike beast. Still taking good photos while riding, too.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Yeah, the strategic human refueling stops are key. I've never been a distance biker, typically opting for shorter rides with loads of hills instead and peaking at 25 miles length or so, but with godawful hills. When running, I start to really hit my "I need more fuel/water" wall around 8-9 miles if it's flat terrain. I hit it hard when doing 6.5 miles the other day, because we unexpectedly did a bunch of hill climb repeats (less hill climb and more scaling a series of chest-high retaining walls repeatedly). After the 6.5 mile run plus retaining walls, I didn't feel quite right again until maybe 8 hours later, despite drinking about 40 ounces of fluids and having yogurt and oatmeal after the run. Probably overdid that one in a not good way. Maybe having salt-crystals as eyeliner and eyebrow thickener is a bad sign?

My wife used to do 85-100 mile days, but she'd program in a bunch of little stops. This was when she was on Cape Cod for work for a summer and was going National Seashore to Provincetown to Yarmouth or Hyannis and back again. Snickers ice cream bars, orange juice, steamed clams, and chili dogs are the kind of salty bullshit/delicious food you can use for fuel when doing that kind of work.

charliebravo77, how much did the gear feel like it weighed you down compared to a normal outing without overnight gear?

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?

Tried to go for a really slow jog today, the first one since tearing a muscle in my foot last month. According to the doctor I'm supposed to have waited at least another month but I can't stand sitting around like I have been.

The run did not go well at all. I made it all of 100 yards from the door before it felt like I was doing damage again. Walking feels perfectly fine aside from feeling like there's a marble under my foot every time I step. No pain when walking and my range of motion is unaffected, but man, the impact of running is a whole different story. That just plain hurts. I just want to go running again.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

BrianM87 posted:

Tried to go for a really slow jog today, the first one since tearing a muscle in my foot last month. According to the doctor I'm supposed to have waited at least another month but I can't stand sitting around like I have been.

The run did not go well at all. I made it all of 100 yards from the door before it felt like I was doing damage again. Walking feels perfectly fine aside from feeling like there's a marble under my foot every time I step. No pain when walking and my range of motion is unaffected, but man, the impact of running is a whole different story. That just plain hurts. I just want to go running again.

Man, don't re-injure yourself! It's not worth it!

Sometimes, you have to go on a little quest to find the workout routine that works for your specific limitations. I'm sure there is something out there that would work for you. But running is going to tear that foot right up.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Rode 15 mi last night and intended to do 50 today. Didn't get out near early enough and had to call it quits early due to the heat and only got 30 down.

mlmp08 posted:

charliebravo77, how much did the gear feel like it weighed you down compared to a normal outing without overnight gear?

It was surprisingly way easier than I thought. The bags I got are really nice and I distributed the weight pretty well. Total bike and gear weight was 43lbs vs 25lbs normal. The average speed was probably 2mph slower than normal but I also was mentally holding myself back (and doing a lot of waiting for my brother on hills). I had assumed that anything above 10mph average would be good for a loaded trip of that length and we came in at 13.2mph which was a pleasant surprise.

Peeches
May 24, 2018

BrianM87 posted:

Maybe biking would be better while you heal? actually probably swimming is your best bet for cardio. You don't want to risk damaging that artificial ligament.

Peeches fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jul 6, 2020

Peeches
May 24, 2018

I can't believe I'm saying it, but I actually kind of like running. I started recently and it's a great workout, my body is getting leaner and stronger, and I'm able to go further every day. I have never had that "runners high" but I enjoy the mindfulness of only thinking about putting one foot in front of the other. I also used to have leg and hip pain, but I lost 20+ pounds and all that went away.

Honestly, having the time during quarantine to work out an hour a day has been kinda great.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I am starting to regularly look forward to the one day/week that I run about 5K wearing an IOTV with plates and then run stairs.

My middle aged brain is breaking, i think.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

I am starting to regularly look forward to the one day/week that I run about 5K wearing an IOTV with plates and then run stairs.

My middle aged brain is breaking, i think.

Either your brain or your joints I guess

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Meh, for a while after a serious injury I babied things too much and that increased frequency of minor injuries.

Staying routinely active and working the core, back, and legs has left me injury-free for a few years now.

There are some areas I really avoid though:
-Contact sports
-Ground fighting
-1-rep max stuff (it can be done safely-ish, but Iíd rather not)
-Anything aside from running or pushups where itís reps against the clock. Makes you sloppy over time and Iíve seen so many people get hurt going for speed or ďjust one moreĒ

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Peeches posted:

Honestly, having the time during quarantine to work out an hour a day has been kinda great.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Peeches posted:

I can't believe I'm saying it, but I actually kind of like running. I started recently and it's a great workout, my body is getting leaner and stronger, and I'm able to go further every day. I have never had that "runners high" but I enjoy the mindfulness of only thinking about putting one foot in front of the other. I also used to have leg and hip pain, but I lost 20+ pounds and all that went away.

Good for you!

Sadly, I borked my ankles pretty badly by being heavy and inactive for a long time. At my heaviest, I had Achilles tendonitis in an almost chronic state, and the joints themselves can't take much impact anymore. I've tried, and it results in a day or so of limping. So, it's bikes for me.

I wanted to go down the Confluence Trail, but it's still stupid hot and humid here. Might still do it if it cools down later when the clouds roll in.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Made it 365 days in a row of biking a minimum of thirty minutes with an average of 67.

Pre-Exercise - 218 pounds
Jeans - 38/30

After 365 Days - 163.8 pounds
Jeans 34/30

I wish I could add some muscle toning in there, but that's a hard no from the doctors right now. Still, thrilled to have made it a year. With covid, I have no idea how much farther I'll take this streak.

If you body breaks, tell it to gently caress off and do some work.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I went back to the gym 3x per week when they reopened. Just for the stuff I can't do anywhere else--i.e., weight training. I did cardio outside. Then I went to 2x per week, because nobody wears masks in the gym, and it was getting crowded. I didn't go last week, and I'll probably eschew it for a while. I need to exercise, but I don't pestilence-need to exercise. I'll be looking for a set of weights for the garage, maybe.

On the plus side, the weather held off yesterday, and I got a ride in. I planned on starting at the park and going to the Confluence Tower, but when I got there (about 7.5 miles), I wasn't winded at all, and the trail kept going and had this curve toward the road, so I'm like, I'll just go there and turn around at the road. I wasn't going to cross Route 3. But... well, it didn't cross the road. Instead, there's a nice, protected, outside lane across the diversion canal, and then you're riding at the bottom of a berm for a while. That... well, sucks a little, because you're riding in the bottoms, which means there are poo poo-tons of huge-rear end bugs flying at you. (Mayflies mostly.) But, the weather was nice. I went about 12 miles overall before turning around; I could have gone further, but I didn't feel like going all the way to the Interstate just to turn around.

It was a pretty good ride. Hopefully I can get some more in. My bike was having an issue staying in 1st gear, so they fixed it, but now it wants to give me trouble getting into 7th gear. I'd rather have 7th than 1st, so I may have to get it re-adjusted. I did get a rack on the back and had a trunk on it. Want to know what catches your foot while trying to dismount so you can cross a road at a flood gate?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Sorry for the double post, but what's a good camera to get for recording a ride?

I kind-of want to record a ride and maybe speed it up so it looks like I can do 20 miles in about 20 seconds. I know that last bit is all about editing software, but it got me thinking, I'd like to record some of my rides, because the scenery is nice. When I look at Amazon, you've got your Go Pro stuff, and then there's a wide gap in prices down to the $50 cameras that boast 4K resolution but... yeah, I'm not totally buying it. I'd like something that can record for an hour or two. One neat thing about the cheaper ones is that they often come with replaceable batteries, whereas I don't think the GoPros do. Or maybe I'm wrong?

I'm not looking to make fine art here, just something to have for fun, and also to collect evidence in the event that there's an accident or something.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

The cheap cameras generally suck pretty hard. Get a gopro, or a fly 12/6 if you're just worried about crash evidence, or if you're not doing anything interesting just don't bother with a camera to record your ride, use your phone when you see something cool

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

DeesGrandpa posted:

The cheap cameras generally suck pretty hard. Get a gopro, or a fly 12/6 if you're just worried about crash evidence, or if you're not doing anything interesting just don't bother with a camera to record your ride, use your phone when you see something cool

Probably good advice. But why use my phone if I see something cool? So I can call someone and they can bring me a camera?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Seriously, you cannot imagine how boring your bike path footage will be, and how lovely it will be for pinpoint interesting things. Even mountain biking, the gopro/whatever cameras make things look much less fast and steep than they are. I tried one out in Moab a year or two ago now and it made me not bother. Even runs on portal that I felt were seriously quick look pretty lame on the gopro. When you see the trailpeek dudes doing a crazy run, they're going even faster than it seems and are truly amazing riders. If you just got a hybrid a few months ago, except for crash evidence, you're not going to be well served by dropping the cash on a gopro

Peeches
May 24, 2018

Captain Log posted:

Made it 365 days in a row of biking a minimum of thirty minutes with an average of 67.

Pre-Exercise - 218 pounds
Jeans - 38/30

After 365 Days - 163.8 pounds
Jeans 34/30

Fantastic progress, Mr. Wonderful

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Peeches posted:

Fantastic progress, Mr. Wonderful

I miss that shirt. It was the best one dollar I ever spent at a thrift shop in Kansas.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

With the holidays coming, we all need to be vigilant! How are everyone's weight loss - muscle building - maintenance programs going?

Stationary Biking Question : When I bike, I drink a 24 ounce Propel from the plastic bottle. It seems that it almost always ends up making me belch. As loving stupid as it sounds to ask "How Am I Drinking Incorrectly?" I need to ask, what am I loving up here? I don't typically burp and suddenly blowing out my throat every five minutes is startling my parrots.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I've gained a few pounds, but lack of exercise availability and going a little too overboard a couple weekends in a row is the culprit. Still in the 170s, but I feel flabby.

I don't know if that feeling will ever go away, though, so I'm also trying not to go anorexic.

Being really large for a long time really does a number on your head, let me tell ya.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Anyone have recommendations on a good, cheap-ish exercise bike or the like?

The next place we're moving into is going to finally be a little bigger than our current tiny apartment, so I'll have room for something. The place we're living now had a really basic gym (pre-covid at least) but the new complex doesn't.

Basically I just need to work up a sweat and get some cardio in. My knees are in kind of poo poo shape so running isn't a good solution. In the past I've used cycling machines and ellipticals to good effect. Ideally I"d like to spend something more like $GLOCK than $HK on it if you get my drift, and certainly not $KORTH

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Anyone have recommendations on a good, cheap-ish exercise bike or the like?

The next place we're moving into is going to finally be a little bigger than our current tiny apartment, so I'll have room for something. The place we're living now had a really basic gym (pre-covid at least) but the new complex doesn't.

Basically I just need to work up a sweat and get some cardio in. My knees are in kind of poo poo shape so running isn't a good solution. In the past I've used cycling machines and ellipticals to good effect. Ideally I"d like to spend something more like $GLOCK than $HK on it if you get my drift, and certainly not $KORTH

I also would not mind suggestions on this. The weather is turning, and I simply can't count on getting any more good days for long rides. The alternative is cardio in a gym, and while I love Club Petridish and owe them most of my fitness gains, I need to seriously consider moving my workouts to my home.

I need two things: resistance and cardio. With resistance, I'm torn between a cable machine and a bench set. Cable machines give you a lot of bang for the buck, and 100 pounds of weights can be mechanically converted to more resistance. But, they're huge, and would permanently take up a chunk of my garage... which would have to be heated. Weight benches require weights, which are surprisingly not cheap, and a lot of the inexpensive vinyl weight sets only go up to 100 pounds plus the weight of the lighter bar (maybe 25 pounds); I currently lift more than that at my gym. Not much more, but you get the idea. I wouldn't be able to do squats without a rack, but I don't think I'm going to go that far. I just need some weights.

And yes, Cyrano, bikes are much better if you have bad knees or, like me, bad ankles. My doctor, in my heavy days, specifically said zero impact was the way to go. I thought that meant light exercise; when I finally manned up and asked the dumb question ("What does 'no impact' mean?"), he said that just meant nothing jarring to my lower body.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

This is what Iíve used every day for 448 days in a row -

MaxKare Indoor Cycling Bike... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HNZF4SD?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

The computer is trash and Iíve upgraded the pedals (snap in, or I canít keep my feet on the pedals) and the seat. I use my Apple Watch to track stuff. Iím five foot eleven (minus one inch with arthritis) and find the handlebars are too low to get completely into a good bike posture.

I got it when it was $199 pre-covid. The hardware is a simple tension knob. I do three minutes high tension with two minutes low.

Itís not luxurious, but the actual hardware has held up to daily punishment without a hiccup. Iíd recommend investing in something a little larger if youíre even vaguely tall. But it works.

With a bike in front of your TV and the pandemic raging, itís impossible to have an excuse. Do it!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Pandemic raging... episodes of Archer... raging... rampaging... Terms of Enrampagement... Pandempaging!

Yes, the Pandempagement!

Anyway... that's not a bad looking bike, but... yellow? Gross. I bet I could burn more calories on a red one. I wonder of the black ones are larger?

Also... show of hands: who else doesn't watch TV while on a stationary bike? A lot of people at my gym must be conservatives, because half the time, the TV on the bike turns on automatically when I start pedaling, and it's tuned to Fucks Knews. That's even more gross than a yellow anything.

Personally, I put on some weird music, and away I go. My exercise music isn't necessarily standard fare. But I like music, not TV.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

When I was in weight loss mode, I was doing ninety minutes or more at a stretch. For months. I had to have something visual to keep myself from getting bored.

I started to look too skinny around 159 and settled on 165 for my general resting weight. Now it's just an hour, but I still enjoy getting to watch more shows than I've ever had time for, even as a guy who mostly putters around all day like an Elderly.

I was 164.8 this morning, so no complaints!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

You know when it says that it has "44 lbs. Flywheel" that the English is going to be close, but cigars-less.

My favorite part is where it says that "it is equipped with mobile phone / ipad bracket, making you enjoy sports and leisure simultaneously."

Did you catch that? Making you enjoy sports and leisure, and not one after the other, but simultaneously.

A German voice in my head just threatened, "You vill enjoy zis game of Amerikanfutball, und you vill eat zis bratwurst, UND YOU VILL ENJOY ZEM AT ZE SAME TIME!!" There there's a lot of shouting. I'm not sure why some German lunatic is shouting at me, or why he has me tied to a reclining chair, but one thing is clear: I'm his guest, and in order to provide me with the most efficient hospitality possible, I had better enjoy both sports and leisure at the same time. Or else. And I appreciate the effort, but I'm not sure I'm going to watch the game at his house anymore. Honestly, I don't even like the NFL ever since they took a giant poo poo on my city, and not even the sausage is going to change that. Also, there's so much sauerkraut, but don't call him a sour kraut, because boy oh boy does he hate that. One time, one time, a year ago, I said that at a pot luck, and he never lets me forget it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yeah, if I'm going at it on a stationary thing I need some loving TV. If I'm on an actual bike and going somewhere? I can entertain myself plenty with poo poo like looking at the scenery or just making sure I don't crash my loving bike into a tree or stroller or something. But if I'm just pumping my legs and staring at the wall I am going to be bored as gently caress and not do it as long as I should.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I don't know if this is even the right thread but we're all gun havers worried about our weight so here goes. I feel like I've posted something similar before but age and cheap beer has diminished my mental faculties.

I have pretty impressively bad Crohn's/IBD and it makes any kind of fitness pursuit a total lottery. I was up to a little over 175 (5'10", 30 inch waist, 30 inch inseam) a while back and got extremely sick. I lost about 60 pounds in a matter of months. Ended up being a combination of my insides hating me and c. diff. It goes back and forth pretty severely still. Some months I can get a good protein intake, some months I just bleed internally.

Long story short we're on a good run with no pain or bleeding and I'm just outside of 170 on a lazy bulk. Pull ups, push ups, sit ups, and basic 25 lb barbell exercises to failure with a focus on at least decent caloric intake. Very pleased with the protein from Soflete, even though the jerks got rid of the fruit loop flavored option.

Next post will be when my neck won't fit in my office shirts. It's good to have goals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, if I'm going at it on a stationary thing I need some loving TV. If I'm on an actual bike and going somewhere? I can entertain myself plenty with poo poo like looking at the scenery or just making sure I don't crash my loving bike into a tree or stroller or something. But if I'm just pumping my legs and staring at the wall I am going to be bored as gently caress and not do it as long as I should.

Hmm. Fair enough, I guess. Maybe I'm the odd duck out here, because... and please don't laugh... but I do math.

For example, let's say I'm doing a 30 minute hill program at the gym. I run it at level 12 at 90 - 100 RPM, so it's quite a workout, but I have 30 minutes to kill. One of my favorite games is to figure out at which point I've completed a fraction of the run (excluding the cooldown). I usually keep it to things that divide into even divisions (no fractional seconds). So, I know that I'll be 1/2 done at 15:00, but then I try to figure out I'm 2/3rds done, then 3/4ths, 4/5ths, 5/6ths, 7/8ths, 8/9ths, 9/10ths, 11/12ths, 14/15ths, 17/18ths, 19/20ths, 24/25ths, 29/30ths, 59/60ths, and 1799/1800ths. Yeah, the last few are pretty easy, but I only keep going if I can figure out the next milestone before I get to it.

Jesus Christ, I might actually be touched in the head.