Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

tarlibone posted:

Hmm. Fair enough, I guess. Maybe I'm the odd duck out here, because... and please don't laugh... but I do math.

For example, let's say I'm doing a 30 minute hill program at the gym. I run it at level 12 at 90 - 100 RPM, so it's quite a workout, but I have 30 minutes to kill. One of my favorite games is to figure out at which point I've completed a fraction of the run (excluding the cooldown). I usually keep it to things that divide into even divisions (no fractional seconds). So, I know that I'll be 1/2 done at 15:00, but then I try to figure out I'm 2/3rds done, then 3/4ths, 4/5ths, 5/6ths, 7/8ths, 8/9ths, 9/10ths, 11/12ths, 14/15ths, 17/18ths, 19/20ths, 24/25ths, 29/30ths, 59/60ths, and 1799/1800ths. Yeah, the last few are pretty easy, but I only keep going if I can figure out the next milestone before I get to it.

Jesus Christ, I might actually be touched in the head.

If you held a gun on me and told me to do mental math while riding an exercise bike I'd probably last about 5 minutes before I hopped off and gleefully pulled the trigger for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 17, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you held a gun on me and told me to do mental math while riding an exercise bike I'd probably last about 5 minutes before I hopped off and gleefully pulled the trigger for you.

I might last that long WITHOUT the bike.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Well, one thing that helps is that remembering that 1/12th of 30 minutes is really just 1/4th of 1/3rd, or vice-versa. And 1/18th is just 1/3 of 1/3 of 1/2.

I like doing math in my head.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, Cap'n Log. I almost went with that model, but for just a few more bucks, I grabbed one from the same company that uses magnetic resistance, because that'll help me track my RPMs, which from what I read the other one doesn't do. Also, I don't have to worry about it wearing out, which would probably not happen forever anyway, but still.

I went with this one instead. With cases spiking and the weather too cold to have much of a hope for a good, long ride, it's a good idea to work out from home as much as possible.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

tarlibone posted:

Well, one thing that helps is that remembering that 1/12th of 30 minutes is really just 1/4th of 1/3rd, or vice-versa. And 1/18th is just 1/3 of 1/3 of 1/2.

I like doing math in my head.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, Cap'n Log. I almost went with that model, but for just a few more bucks, I grabbed one from the same company that uses magnetic resistance, because that'll help me track my RPMs, which from what I read the other one doesn't do. Also, I don't have to worry about it wearing out, which would probably not happen forever anyway, but still.

I went with this one instead. With cases spiking and the weather too cold to have much of a hope for a good, long ride, it's a good idea to work out from home as much as possible.

Glad you made the plunge!

If I had it to do over again, I absolutely would have gotten something nicer. I was determined to figure out an exercise that worked, but I wasn't certain this would be it. The one I got makes me have to bike with my palms pushing myself up from the forearm pads. It's way too low for me to rest my forearms properly and a pain in the rear end. I don't think of myself as tall, but I guess 5'11 is tall enough to need a bigger exercise bike.

The computer is a loving joke, but the Apple Watch does all my work. I'm fine just eyeballing my heart rate and adjusting tension from there to either "Hard" or "Cool Down."

But it's certainly durable. Tomorrow is actually my 450th day in a row, rain or infusion puking be damned. I know my streak will get broken someday, either when the lockdown is over or I get really loving sick. Whichever comes first. But the bike hasn't had a single issue from a "I'm putting hours a week on it" perspective.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

My exercycle, which is what I am calling it until I come up with a dumber (or possibly a more 1980s-ish name), arrived Saturday. It came before I could properly clean up its new home. This evening, I have a project.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

tarlibone posted:

My exercycle, which is what I am calling it until I come up with a dumber (or possibly a more 1980s-ish name), arrived Saturday. It came before I could properly clean up its new home. This evening, I have a project.

I know I have some limitations with poo poo, but mine was a pain in the dick to put together. Not difficult, but unwieldy.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Yeah, they dropped it off next to my front porch. So, I just got the hand truck out, and wheeled it into the garage. Since it's going to the basement, I think I'm just going to carry it down there piece at a time, and put it together down there. I can't imagine trying to move that thing around assembled, and the box is just the right size to be really awkward.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Gave my smart trainer another try tonight before putting it up on Facebook Marketplace or whatever. Turns out it's fine. Maybe the app was finicky before. Whatever. Ordered a new laptop and a PC ANT+ dongle. Anyone here Zwift? Gotta lose like 70lbs by next summer.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Anybody doing the "Plankfullness" challenge for November? I am. I just want to be able to say, "HAPPY PLANKSGIVING, MOTHERFUCKERS"

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

infrared35 posted:

Anybody doing the "Plankfullness" challenge for November? I am. I just want to be able to say, "HAPPY PLANKSGIVING, MOTHERFUCKERS"

I don't know what that is.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

tarlibone posted:

I don't know what that is.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Started day 1, no issues. Let's see if I remember to do it for the rest of the month.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

FFfffffff-uck off with all that.

I ain't getting yelled at by a scary MMA gym coach. I'm not planking poo poo.

(All joking aside, I'm really hoping for a positive conversation with my neurologist about my health progress and somehow getting a green light for some calisthenics. While I'm skinnier than I've ever been since I was thirteen, I look like a flabby ghost.)

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Y'all should do this plank thing if you're not good at planks. Core strength helps with so much other stuff, it's very important. I can currently do a 5 minute plank, my max is just under 6, so this isn't so relevant for me.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I'll do it. I already do planking once a week between sets of Russian twists, and those planks go for 30, 45, and 60 seconds.

This looks like it'll make me feel terrible. I love it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I forgot all about this.

I did FINALLY give the new jazzercycle a proper workout. A steady workout with constant resistance is not what I am used to. And my inner thighs are pissed. One of them is burning so bad that my pants are smoldering more than Donald Trump's.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Reading Captain Logís posts in this thread inspired me to start up my own fitness log cranking out 45-60 minute bike sessions every day. Thanks a bunch 😊

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Lumbermouth posted:

Reading Captain Logís posts in this thread inspired me to start up my own fitness log cranking out 45-60 minute bike sessions every day. Thanks a bunch 😊

Hell yeah, my man. You're gonna kick some rear end.

I swear to God, making it a daily routine while tracking it was key. All my failures before basically broke down to saying to myself, "Well...I guess I'll just do it tomorrow." When tomorrow is out of the equation, it's harder to make excuses.

With that in mind, time to go huff and puff.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Howís everyone doing during the covid Christmas? Staying fit?

Forgot to check in yesterday, but I broke 500 days of biking in a row. IVIG be damned, I get on that bike and hustle. If I gotta puke, Iíll do it later. Average time is over sixty minutes.

I want to know how other folks home gym adventures are going!!!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I have been slacking off, but still watching my intake.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Been doing well with portion control, but have been doing a lot of sedentary crap, especially at work. Lots of reports, online training, drafting lesson plans, minor armorer work, etc. I can feel myself getting soft.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

It's a New Year, Fitness Friends!

What are you resolutions?!?! How did they go last year?

Starting today, after a lot of back and forth with my neurologist buddy, I'm going to be adding some extremely light weights and calisthenics to my daily routine. I used to use 20 pound weights on my arms, now I'm going to be aiming a lot closer to ten. Even so, it's an experiment. My body might not agree with it. But if I can, I'm just going to be adding sit ups, curls, triceps, forearms, and possibly knee on the ground push ups. I don't think my ankles could hold me up for a normal push up, unfortunately.

What is everyone else going to do for the New Year?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Continue with the bike and some body-weight stuff for now. At some point, I hope to get back to the gym. As soon as there is a freshly warm day this winter, I plan on going on a ride to see what my favorite bike paths look like when they're not green.

My main resolution is to lower my drinking. I've been binging on the weekends lately, and that needs to stop. I don't want to totally quit drinking because I really like my fancy beers, but I need to stop getting drunk after a hard week.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

tarlibone posted:

Continue with the bike and some body-weight stuff for now. At some point, I hope to get back to the gym. As soon as there is a freshly warm day this winter, I plan on going on a ride to see what my favorite bike paths look like when they're not green.

My main resolution is to lower my drinking. I've been binging on the weekends lately, and that needs to stop. I don't want to totally quit drinking because I really like my fancy beers, but I need to stop getting drunk after a hard week.

Take it from an old drunk - It's going to be infinitely easier to get a handle on drinking now rather than later. Good on you recognizing the issue. If you have the wherewithal to identify that, I'm sure you can cut back.

After twenty minutes I managed three whole sets of -

- Bicep Curls x 11 each
- Forearm Curls x 22 each
- Triceps x 11 each
- Crunches x 26
- Knee Push ups x 11

Twelve pound weighs used. I think.

I'm such a weakling, but I have been instructed to absolutely NOT blow anything out and go slow. I guess we will see how I feel tomorrow.

(Yes, I use odd numbers. I believe you should always push yourself one past your intended goal as a habit. If my sets are ten, I'm gonna do eleven.)

Edit : Good God, I feel nauseas. Oh...infusion. That'll do it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Yeah, thanks. I used to drink way more than I do now, but I've noticed that on weekends, I can demolish a bunch of beers in a night, and I've slipped back into the whole staying up til 3 AM thing on the weekends.

As far as your sets, I would say you should just go to 10 and make them heavier, but if you can go to 11, well... that's one more!

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

I might as well post here for some accountability, my plan for the new year is to continue to lose weight. About two months ago, I weighed myself and saw that I was up to 265 pounds, which considering I'm only 5'6" was a lot. Since then, I started counting calories and eating less in general, and I've lot about 20 pounds so far. This next year, I'm hoping to make even more diet changes beyond just eating less, and restart doing some weightlifting. I'm not going to call it a new years resolution, since I started this back in November, but I'm excited to continue the trend. In the past when I tried to change my diet I would always get lazy and stop after a week or two, but I'm not 52 days in and I'm finding it very easy to maintain the discipline.

tarlibone posted:

I had to more or less quit drinking earlier in the year, for non-weight-related health reasons, and it really does help with losing weight. A beer or two a few days a week won't be bad overall, as long as you account for it in your overall caloric intake. And for me, cutting out most of my liquid calories in general has helped a great deal.

Captain Log posted:

After twenty minutes I managed three whole sets of -

- Bicep Curls x 11 each
- Forearm Curls x 22 each
- Triceps x 11 each
- Crunches x 26
- Knee Push ups x 11

Twelve pound weighs used. I think.

I'm such a weakling, but I have been instructed to absolutely NOT blow anything out and go slow. I guess we will see how I feel tomorrow.

(Yes, I use odd numbers. I believe you should always push yourself one past your intended goal as a habit. If my sets are ten, I'm gonna do eleven.)

Edit : Good God, I feel nauseas. Oh...infusion. That'll do it.

I briefly started doing weightlifting with some friends this year before we had to stop for obvious reasons, and while I could deadlift 250 pounds, for curls and such I was doing even less weight then you, 7 and then 10 pound dumbbells with 5 sets of 10. You have the right idea, combining a lower and/or safer weight with more reps.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I want to actually do a 5k this year. I just started back on Couch to 5k, and it's been going fine. I gave up pushing 6mph (which is the pace I need to maintain to pass the work PT test if it ever comes up for some reason), and backed it off to 4mph, which hasn't been stressful at all. It's been nice.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

tarlibone posted:

As far as your sets, I would say you should just go to 10 and make them heavier, but if you can go to 11, well... that's one more!

I'm very purposely supposed to be doing low weights because of the potential for permanent damage. Today and the next week will be a feeling out process, but I'll never be looking for bulk. I just want to look more toned than a white alien.

Beardless posted:

I might as well post here for some accountability, my plan for the new year is to continue to lose weight. About two months ago, I weighed myself and saw that I was up to 265 pounds, which considering I'm only 5'6" was a lot. Since then, I started counting calories and eating less in general, and I've lot about 20 pounds so far. This next year, I'm hoping to make even more diet changes beyond just eating less, and restart doing some weightlifting. I'm not going to call it a new years resolution, since I started this back in November, but I'm excited to continue the trend. In the past when I tried to change my diet I would always get lazy and stop after a week or two, but I'm not 52 days in and I'm finding it very easy to maintain the discipline.

I had to more or less quit drinking earlier in the year, for non-weight-related health reasons, and it really does help with losing weight. A beer or two a few days a week won't be bad overall, as long as you account for it in your overall caloric intake. And for me, cutting out most of my liquid calories in general has helped a great deal.

I briefly started doing weightlifting with some friends this year before we had to stop for obvious reasons, and while I could deadlift 250 pounds, for curls and such I was doing even less weight then you, 7 and then 10 pound dumbbells with 5 sets of 10. You have the right idea, combining a lower and/or safer weight with more reps.

I cannot speak highly enough of calorie counting apps on phones. I truly wished I'd done it a million years ago. I never ate bad stuff, my portions were just all sorts of hosed.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Stress, plus stupid work hours plus the only place Iím allowed to forgo carrying a weapon and armor and facemask and can use headphones is a workout means that Iím back on the 10k+ regular running train.

Gyms and weights are hard to come by due to covid, and the gym rats are growing feral and cannibalistic, so pretty much just bodyweight and running for me for now.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I'm "enjoying" my 100% at-home routine. It's not what I was doing at the gym because I don't have freeweights, and it's much more cardio-based because my main piece of equipment is a jazzercycle. BTW, I miss the hill program. It's more like lifting weights, except bicycle. Getting used to a solid effort with no peaks and valleys continues to be challenging, but it is what it is. Fancy bikes cost a lot more than I can spend, especially seeing as how I have no room for a dedicated home gym.

Anyway, my non-cardio routine consists of daily pushups, sit-ups, Russian twists with a kettle bell, and some really awkward curls with a kettle bell. I also do squats, but I don't have bells that would make any difference; I have 5-, 10-, and 15-pound bells. (I do these exercises during my lunch break; cardio 30 minutes of hard effort and 10 minutes of gradually declining effort on the bike is after work.) So, I think I want to get some dumbbells.

Before Pestilence, I was curling a 70 pound barbell at the gym, 3◊10 reps. When the gyms opened back up, I'd lost ground, but I was back up to 60 pounds. I want to get something that's a little lighter than that so I can do some curls, and maybe add some weight to my squats. Has anyone tried those adjustable dumbbells?

In the olden days of yore, weight sets (the vinyl ones with concrete in them; remember those?) had small bars with plastic sleeve handles that you just added regular weights to, and those were your dumbbells. I need something adjustable, because I do not have room for even a small range of single-weight dumbbells. The new style ones that have dials and other crap on them to make changing the weight easy look cool, but some of them seem preposterously expensive (check out the Bowflex ones that are in the $600 range). I don't need anything fancy, just something functional. Should I consider the old fashioned vinyl ones?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

You can get 2*100lbs plate loaded spinlock adjustable dumbbell sets off Amazon for $170~.

Atleast you could last week when I looked, equipment goes fast these days.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

tarlibone posted:

I'm "enjoying" my 100% at-home routine. It's not what I was doing at the gym because I don't have freeweights, and it's much more cardio-based because my main piece of equipment is a jazzercycle. BTW, I miss the hill program. It's more like lifting weights, except bicycle. Getting used to a solid effort with no peaks and valleys continues to be challenging, but it is what it is. Fancy bikes cost a lot more than I can spend, especially seeing as how I have no room for a dedicated home gym.

Anyway, my non-cardio routine consists of daily pushups, sit-ups, Russian twists with a kettle bell, and some really awkward curls with a kettle bell. I also do squats, but I don't have bells that would make any difference; I have 5-, 10-, and 15-pound bells. (I do these exercises during my lunch break; cardio 30 minutes of hard effort and 10 minutes of gradually declining effort on the bike is after work.) So, I think I want to get some dumbbells.

Before Pestilence, I was curling a 70 pound barbell at the gym, 3◊10 reps. When the gyms opened back up, I'd lost ground, but I was back up to 60 pounds. I want to get something that's a little lighter than that so I can do some curls, and maybe add some weight to my squats. Has anyone tried those adjustable dumbbells?

In the olden days of yore, weight sets (the vinyl ones with concrete in them; remember those?) had small bars with plastic sleeve handles that you just added regular weights to, and those were your dumbbells. I need something adjustable, because I do not have room for even a small range of single-weight dumbbells. The new style ones that have dials and other crap on them to make changing the weight easy look cool, but some of them seem preposterously expensive (check out the Bowflex ones that are in the $600 range). I don't need anything fancy, just something functional. Should I consider the old fashioned vinyl ones?

I just do a manual hill program on my bike. I've only got a knob for tension adjustment, so I used my heart rate on the Apple Watch to measure it. I do two minutes low to no tension followed by three minutes high. My daily minimum on the bike for active calories is typically 500.

I've tried adding some puny weights and calisthenics. Like, next to nothing. I'm doing it every other day and I can only do pushups from my knees, because my ankles can't lock properly. It's depressing, but it's something.

Weight Talk - It seems that I've settled in between 167-169. I've drawn a line at 170 and have only crossed the line twice and only for a day each. When I got down to 159/158 I looked ill with my pale skin and big rear end head. For 5'11 and a large build, I think 167-169 seems like a pretty easy spot to maintain. If I get close to my line, it's not hard to adjust my calories downward for a few days.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

I gained a few this holiday season, but I let myself go on purpose. There was enough misery; depleting part of the national junk food reserve wasn't going to make the end of 2020 any worse.

My weight has settled in the mid 170s, holiday gains excluded. When I was going to the gym and hit 169 in the beforetimes, I didn't look particularly good, so I pumped the breaks a bit.

After a weight-loss journey that's just a few months shy of three years long, one thing I'm having trouble with is accepting that maintenance means that after I drop my holiday weight, I can't go on losing 1-2 pounds every week. And, my weight will fluctuate around a certain point, and that's how it is for everyone who isn't obese. I will have to learn how to remain mindful of what I'm eating without expecting to shed any more significant amounts of weight.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I decided to run over 10 miles just kinda because and now Iím doing chores and just waiting for the inflammation regret to set in.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Hit 600 days of biking in a row yesterday, the painful day after an infusion. My weight has leveled off around 167-170, which I think looks good for my 5'11 giant rear end head build. I'm also allowing myself a thirty minute day once a week if I need it. During the height of weight loss biking, I was doing ninety minutes no matter what. Now I'm probably 60-65 minutes six days, with a 35-40 minute day mixed in.

Unfortunately, my heart rate can sometimes stagnate. I'm always aiming for 130-140+, but I'd be lying to say I always hit that. I do two minutes low resistance, then three minutes high resistance. My record (for sixty minutes) is 600+ active calories, while my worst was something like 420. My average is a little over 500. But when I can't get my heart rate going, I'm not really able to kick into the next gear. My right leg does all the work, limiting my ability to hit the gas. If I look in the mirror before a shower, my right thigh is more defined than my left. Thanks, neuropathy!

Because of the pandemic, I think I'm going to hit two years if my body doesn't explode.

How's everyone else doing?!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Been rucking a lot more. Usually 10-15k with 25-35 pound pack plus weapon. Jog / walk mix to keep it around a 12-13 minute mile.

But now I need to work on sprinting again because this leads to my body deciding ďslogĒ is a good run pace even when wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Weighed in at 169 again, and I feel it. My week day routine is 30 minutes + 10 minutes cool down on the Jazzercycle, and I usually burn 320+ calories. I also do 3 sets of 10 pushups, situps, Russian twists, and squats. I'm at that point where I have to sit carefully because of my tail bone not wanting to happily rest anywhere on the exercise mat.

As long as I'm in the 170s, I'm OK. Can't wait to get back to the actual gym, though.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

mlmp08 posted:

Been rucking a lot more. Usually 10-15k with 25-35 pound pack plus weapon. Jog / walk mix to keep it around a 12-13 minute mile.

But now I need to work on sprinting again because this leads to my body deciding ďslogĒ is a good run pace even when wearing shorts and a t-shirt.

Does that tear up your knees?

Despite four ankle breaks, I've never had knee injury trouble. But I remember trying to run when I was a fencer and having to quit, because it make my knees actively hurt.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

I only ruck 1 or 2 times a week if going further than 10k. Typically either a single 15k and a 5k or a couple of 10ks per week.

Iíve had back problems years ago but never a knee issue beyond a sports-related tweak that had me limping for a week maybe a dozen years ago, so Iíve been fortunate on the knee front so far.

Between rucks Iím doing a leg day which helps with stability, but I donít squat a lot of weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I was up to 210 pounds from poor diet, lack of exercise, stress, and lack of sleep. I started logging all my food with the My Fitness Pal app and though I haven't been super disciplined, I've gotten back down under 200 pounds. Barely.

infrared35 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 27, 2021