Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«21 »
Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

User posted:

Spot removal isn't a thing. Find a diet that you can stick to, and find a mix of resistance and cardio that you can stick to too. You can get massively fit with just bodyweight exercises, so that might be a good place to start.

Seconding this. Cut calories and work out and you'll start losing fat from everywhere, eventually stomach trim up.

I have had good results with doing no carbs (less than 20g a day) with regard to stomach bloating and trimming down pretty quick. You can also work abs/core out (to help get better posture so you are carrying everything flatter, not spot reduction).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

User posted:

Spot removal isn't a thing. Find a diet that you can stick to, and find a mix of resistance and cardio that you can stick to too. You can get massively fit with just bodyweight exercises, so that might be a good place to start.

Yeah, it absolutely must be stated, re-stated, and stated again that you can't target fat to burn. Now I know that there are 1.21 gigasources that tell you otherwise. This exercise will get rid of belly fat, this one will get rid of those flabby thighs, etc. And in a way, it sort-of makes sense: if the muscles in that area need energy, they'll just reach out to the nearest source of fat, grab some of it off the shelf, and go and burn it.

But, it doesn't work that way at all; your body takes fat from where it takes it, and there is nothing you can do to influence it. NOTHING. Doing all those crunches and other abdominal exercises won't make your beer gut vanish. All that will happen is you'll have amazing abs hidden below several inches of fat. Any time you hear anything about a product or exercise that will target fat in a certain area, know that they are lying. Officially, they're "puffing," but it's all lies.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

I FUCKING LOVE COCAINE

frunksock posted:

Can you build muscle while running a calorie deficit by burning fat? I mean, he's 5'10" 155lb so probably doesn't have a lot of fat to burn, but what about people who do?

CoffeeBooze posted:

I am not a scientist, dietitian or other person with actual training on the topic, but the general consensus among most of the various forms of lifting weights is no. At least not unless you are using drugs. The working theory for most people is that in order to add muscle your body needs a caloric surplus, which also means you will gain some fat along the way. This is why people go through cycles of bulking and cutting where they eat a ton of calories and lift like crazy to pack on the weight, then switch to a caloric deficit and reduce the volume of training they do to lose some of the fat they put on.

When I first started lifting I had a ton of trouble putting on weight until I starting eating around 5,000 calories a day. Then I started just packing on both fat and muscle and got to be pretty freaking strong. Whole milk and peanut butter do wonders for helping you to get bigger.

Basically this, with the note that some people can get away with a bit of body recomposition (i.e., roughly maintaining weight but slimming down + building strength) eating at maintenance calories but that'll be s l o w unless you're more or less completely untrained.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

This is a Good Thread. Physical readiness and, indeed, discipline, is a piece of any dangerous art, whether it's shooting or scuba diving or, indeed, shitposting.

My message, as someone who is on this Magical Weight Loss Adventure and who has come to have a certain affection for the members of this the TFR community: Work with yourself, not against yourself.

When I set out to lose weight, I knew there was only one kind of exercise I could tolerate both financially, physically and mentally every day: Walking on flat, level ground, because my joints are hosed. (My ex busted one of my knees; a New York City bus did for the other. ASK me about disability access at certain subway stops!) I liked to listen to music as I did so, because then it was easy to take my brain to other places that weren't in this horrible aching useless meat robot I am chained to unto death.

So I took a backpack and did so, on a nice path that replaced an old rail line near my house. Walking and a backpack are not a bad place to start, especially if you put heavy things in them. Prudently, I started with water: three liters full, in a camelbak insert. You can also put weights in them. Don't just use any backpack; get one that fits well and, when filled and loaded, brings your posture into alignment, not out of it. (The GoRuck GR1 works well for me, and is designed to accommodate steel weights for their whole rucking thing. I don't 'go rucking', but the principle of carrying heavy objects around for hours at a time while engaging in strenuous activity still follows.)

That was three years ago, and I figure I've lost about 150 pounds. I'd like to lose another 100. Progress goes on. I've lost 30 pounds in the last year, but the gun belt I bought from Hank's last May is down to its last notch now. "It is all right that you think I'm getting hotter," I reassured my partner not too long ago. "I'm doing it for myself first and foremost, but I sure as hell don't mind if you like the result." I can see the difference now, and feel it in my endurance and my muscle tone. It's pretty crazy.

But, I couldn't do any of that until I got the toxic person out of my life. So I want to highlight the importance of finding and dealing with the sources of your unhappiness, or at least the things that keep you from being at peace, and especially the things and people you are afraid of. If you need a hard and specific practical reason, consider that fear and stress generate cortisol which prevents weight loss. But fundamentally it's about making sure you have the psychological grounding and stability required to make significant changes in your life and maintain them, and the mind is one of the most essential components of that process.

Puns unfortunately do not seem to contribute one way or the other.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Managed to take my first outdoors walk since being diagnosed about a year ago. Feels good, except an unmarked speed bump nearly killed me. Half hour, over a mile, I'm not complaining.

Tried to take a selfie while walking and accidentally got a 'MERICA! picture due to a background flag. Never forget?

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

gently caress yeah, congrats dude.

Had a solid week of partying, company, attending a BBQ / Housewarming thing, throwing a BBQ / end of semester thing and went from 220 to 229. Most of it is water and crap since I've been drinking way more booze and salty food etc than I would normally have for a literal week.

But, today is go time. I was waiting for all this to get over with to go back and recommit. I should be able to get back to 220 within 2 days or so since these kinda gains go right back off usually. Once back to 220 the goal is to get to 205 by early fall and keep it there as baseline.

Doesn't seem like a lot but I have already plateaued hard at 220 and I think it's just gonna be more exercise increases than diet decreases at this point to keep going down.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Down to 215 and change as of yesterday. That makes 20 down since the new year.

One of the biggest things I did was cut back on lunch at work. Iím a huge fan of hard boiled eggs. Two plus an apple every day at noon. Itís enough protein that Iím not gnawing my arm off by dinner and the apple gets me some fiber. I learned that the hard way when I passed a solid brick of pain and woe that you could lathe down into environmentally friendly DU penetrator replacements. I keep a bottle of hot sauce on the desk to make the eggs a touch less bland.

Also helps that I can boil a big batch on the weekend and pre-bag them for the week. Donít need to gently caress with actually making lunch on a daily basis, which prevents me from backsliding.

Probably not the thing to do if you have existing cholesterol issues but everything Iíve read says 2 a day for an otherwise healthy (if fat) adult is fine.

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Down to 215 and change as of yesterday. That makes 20 down since the new year.

One of the biggest things I did was cut back on lunch at work. Iím a huge fan of hard boiled eggs. Two plus an apple every day at noon. Itís enough protein that Iím not gnawing my arm off by dinner and the apple gets me some fiber. I learned that the hard way when I passed a solid brick of pain and woe that you could lathe down into environmentally friendly DU penetrator replacements. I keep a bottle of hot sauce on the desk to make the eggs a touch less bland.

Also helps that I can boil a big batch on the weekend and pre-bag them for the week. Donít need to gently caress with actually making lunch on a daily basis, which prevents me from backsliding.

Probably not the thing to do if you have existing cholesterol issues but everything Iíve read says 2 a day for an otherwise healthy (if fat) adult is fine.

If you have a sous vide setup you can poach eggs in the shells or go right up to a very soft boil depending on temperature chosen. Food Lab has a whole article about time and temps vs final product with some good photos. I'll keep some poached ones in the shells in the fridge and crack one over a salad or something occasionally. Nice complement to just hard boiled ones.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Captain Log posted:

Managed to take my first outdoors walk since being diagnosed about a year ago. Feels good, except an unmarked speed bump nearly killed me. Half hour, over a mile, I'm not complaining.

Tried to take a selfie while walking and accidentally got a 'MERICA! picture due to a background flag. Never forget?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww7WlSPi9gc#t=8s

congrats!

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Had a homemade Bisquick waffle for breakfast with a drizzling of bourbon-barrel-aged maple syrup. Had a mini Jimmy John's ham sandwich and a cup of chicken fried rice for lunch along with a handful of kettle chips. Had about two cups of pasta salad for dinner - spirals tossed in olive oil with diced peppers and tomatoes.

This food is way above what I usually eat, quality-wise.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Ahahahah, oh man I haven't seen that in a hot minute. Thanks my man.

Today, I quite literally feel like I did at seventeen after doing a fifty person fencing tournament or sparring MMA at twenty-five. But I'm determined to show up to physical therapy next month as more than just a blob of really pale skin with blonde and red hair at weird places.

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

Lmao

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

That Works posted:

If you have a sous vide setup you can poach eggs in the shells or go right up to a very soft boil depending on temperature chosen. Food Lab has a whole article about time and temps vs final product with some good photos. I'll keep some poached ones in the shells in the fridge and crack one over a salad or something occasionally. Nice complement to just hard boiled ones.

Blech. Can't stand soft boil. Hard boil all the way.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I average two eggs a day, and my nutrition app is very satisfied with my diet. The main thing I'm trying to find an alternative to is flour tortillas. I eat about two to three a day, and while they aren't excessive, they are pretty carby. Other than that, all my carbs come from three Jolly Ranchers a day and about three apples/three clementines. I'm fine with sugar carbs from fruit attached to fibre.

Here are the alternatives I'm going to try -

- Low carb tortillas. I'll probably have to order some. But I'll make sure they are significantly different.

- Pita bread. Again, have to find it first.

- Naan bread. Gotta find.

My diet stays pretty identical from day to day, and I'm losing weight at the pace I'd like to, but I feel I'd get better results if I could replace the tortillas.

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

What are you eating on the tortillas / could you put it on rice instead? Carbs wouldn't change much but it would cut down calories from fat.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Medium boiled for life. Or whatever it's called where the very outside of the yolk is hard-boiled, but the center is still soft -- no longer liquid, but not totally solid yet, either.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Pressure cookers are also great for eggs from soft to hard boiled. Take a few tries to dial in the exact time but pays off for being the easiest to peel eggs ever.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

What are you eating on the tortillas / could you put it on rice instead? Carbs wouldn't change much but it would cut down calories from fat.

Rice, which I love, has a bigger weight gain effect for me. The normal tortilla meal is

Tortilla

One piece of shredded and pan crisped ham

One scrambled egg

One half slice of thin cut cheese

Pepper

Hot sauce

My fat intake is consistently even and not at all excessive when I look at my daily meals. Iím just trying to find a less car by alternative over the course of a day.

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

I wonder how half a baked sweet potato works out comparatively carbs wise.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

I wonder how half a baked sweet potato works out comparatively carbs wise.

But I can't wrap up ingredients in it. That's specifically what I'm looking for, a wrapper for quick and easy meals that I can eat one handed.

I loving hate lettuce, unfortunately.

I just need to make myself eat my stuff in a bowl.

Independence
Jul 11, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Deadlift and chest day, the humidity made my left knee hurt so I didn't do so much but I finished.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Independence posted:

Deadlift and chest day, the humidity made my left knee hurt so I didn't do so much but I finished.

Title of your sex tape.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Captain Log posted:

The main thing I'm trying to find an alternative to is flour tortillas.

Joesph's Flax bread/tortilla/pita try this stuff at, you may have to hunt around at the bakery section in your local store but I use them when I'm doing keto. 6gr net carbs per pita, also have Tortilla and flat breads - tastes pretty good.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Ceros_X posted:

Joesph's Flax bread/tortilla/pita try this stuff at, you may have to hunt around at the bakery section in your local store but I use them when I'm doing keto. 6gr net carbs per pita, also have Tortilla and flat breads - tastes pretty good.

Awesome, just added to my Amazon cart (we do all out non-fresh shopping from Amazon to save money). I'm likely to just make a grab bag order on Amazon and I'll report back with the results. Tortillas, both corn and flour, are a pretty big mainstay in my diet.

CoffeeBooze
Aug 4, 2007

Nuh Uh!

Captain Log posted:

- Pita bread. Again, have to find it first.

- Naan bread. Gotta find.

If you cant find these locally and have any aptitude for cooking/baking you might want to consider making them at home. There are some no knead recipes out there where you basically mix up a big lump of dough once a week or so and let it live in your fridge so you can pull a handful off of it and throw it on a hot skillet for a quick flatbread whenever you need it. Its a really simple process that anyone who can follow the instructions on a box of cake mix can manage.

Fresh baked bread of any sort is some of the most amazing stuff which is why I rarely make it these days. Ill happily sit down with some jam and devour a full loaf without a second thought or a single regret.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

For you tortilla fans, Mission makes Carb Balance tortillas. I'm not on keto or any other super-low-carb diet, but I am on a diabetic diet (since my wife is diabetic), and we keep our carbs below 45 g per meal. This isn't always easy, but it's not as insane as keto.

The Carb Balance tortillas are really low in calories (compared to regular tortillas of the same size) and have very few net carbs. because of the high amount of fiber in the tortillas. And, they don't taste bad, either.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

CoffeeBooze posted:

If you cant find these locally and have any aptitude for cooking/baking you might want to consider making them at home. There are some no knead recipes out there where you basically mix up a big lump of dough once a week or so and let it live in your fridge so you can pull a handful off of it and throw it on a hot skillet for a quick flatbread whenever you need it. Its a really simple process that anyone who can follow the instructions on a box of cake mix can manage.

Fresh baked bread of any sort is some of the most amazing stuff which is why I rarely make it these days. Ill happily sit down with some jam and devour a full loaf without a second thought or a single regret.

Yeah, I should just make the stuff. I cook a ton but don't bake much. But I know how to do it. Just need to find something that works.

tarlibone posted:

For you tortilla fans, Mission makes Carb Balance tortillas. I'm not on keto or any other super-low-carb diet, but I am on a diabetic diet (since my wife is diabetic), and we keep our carbs below 45 g per meal. This isn't always easy, but it's not as insane as keto.

The Carb Balance tortillas are really low in calories (compared to regular tortillas of the same size) and have very few net carbs. because of the high amount of fiber in the tortillas. And, they don't taste bad, either.

I was looking hard at these and appreciate the info. I was worried they would taste like canned rear end. I use Mission Fajita Sized for my meals and it would be an easy switch.

Edit : Did my 30 plus minute walk again today. Almost got killed by a rise in the asphalt. Contemplating painting it bright neon pink.

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 29, 2019

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Last night sucked and my wife left me in bed for an extra hour. Woke up to a cup of tea next to a plate with a celery root, carrot, onion, red bell pepper, and cabbage melange under two sliced hard boiled eggs and doused with vinegary hot sauce.

Have to help my father with a thing so just cranked out a few minutes each of Russian style kettlebell swings and two handed cleans. Also a handful of kettlebell squats and one arm cleans.

Friend is coming by at some point over the weekend to double-check my Turkish Get Up form and help pick a spot in the yard for a parallel/pull-up bar station. Hope to get the materials minus concrete by the weekend. Can cut, prep, paint, and dig post holes until another payday to buy the 12 bags of quikrete. Then just raise the thing.

That Works
Jul 21, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nice!

I need to put in a pull up bar station at the new house. There's just nowhere indoors that makes good sense to have it and my gym area in the basement is solid but low ceilings so only limited to seated overhead work there.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Forgot that I'd curated a range plan for the weekend:

Location - Hike-in pit.

Gear - 50lb kettlebell, range bag, medical, cones, target stand, 8" AR500 plate, plate stand, USPc, 4095TS, maybe a .22 rifle. All in a folding wagon.

Drills (In Order) - M.O.A.T Group Burp A Shot with USPc (shot cold and with hop to vertical), M.O.A.T. Group Carbine Standards with 4095TS (tactical reload before sprint from 50 to 10 yards which will kill my time but gently caress it), Kasarda Drill* from 75 to 25 yards as I won't have line-of-sight to the plate from the 100 yard line. If bringing a .22, cool off with some plinking on the plate at 50-75 yards and pebbles as I can see them.

That'll give me a 1/2 mile uphill weight drag, 5-25 burpees, 105 yards of sprinting, some number of kettlebell throws with equal number of drops in and out of prone or squatting, and 1/2 mile wrangling a weight sled downhill. Plus the loading of all that gear, unloading at the lot, reloading when done, and unloading at home.

About to hit my kettlebell with a lazy couple stripes of seafoam colored spraypaint at I have on my tools to mark as mine and be more visible to reduce chance I forget to pack it out.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 29, 2019

Two Ton 21
Dec 6, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

I'm Two Ton 21 IRL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dwL8ESU97s

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

"Twenty-Four died in a car intentional."

I'd like to live in a world where you can ask passing kids on hoverbikes where you can buy ammo for your tranq dart rifle. (Butterfly-themed colors are a plus.)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

After doing a half hour walk for the last two days on uneven but relatively flat terrain I feel like Iíve been leg kicked by Bas loving Rutten.

But being outside has been wonderful and I now want one of those backpack pet carriers to complete my look as the weirdest man alive.

(I wear hats because my scalp burns, walk like Frankenstein, Iím whiter than a jellyfish, prefer shorts due to the braces, but have to wear knee high socks to cover the skin against the braces, and sometimes have a cane. Iím odd at the least.)

CoffeeBooze
Aug 4, 2007

Nuh Uh!

Captain Log posted:

Iím odd at the least.

We're all odd down here, Loggie. This is Something Awful after all.

Good on you for getting out there too. A whole lot of people would rather just mope around at home at feel bad for themselves or spend the rest of their lives clogging up the aisles at the local Walmart with a mobility scooter. You are doing some awesome stuff.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

CoffeeBooze posted:

We're all odd down here, Loggie. This is Something Awful after all.

Good on you for getting out there too. A whole lot of people would rather just mope around at home at feel bad for themselves or spend the rest of their lives clogging up the aisles at the local Walmart with a mobility scooter. You are doing some awesome stuff.

I appreciate it, my man. The speed of progress is infuriating, and the speed of the government with disability stuff is infuriating. But Oregon takes care of my medical bills and my dad and I have a great living situation with the condo we bought. Did I think I'd be sharing a place with my Dad at nearly 35? Nah. Thought I'd be married with kids. But considering the circumstances, I'm beyond lucky.

It's fun having a big thread for all of us to make some progress towards out goals.

(I swear to God there are some spots of concrete in this complex that are going to get discreetly painted pink in the night)

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Might be late, but I am 6'2 and around 185-195. I dont really eat breakfast, and snack all day on things that dont really have calories (pickles, limes, lemons, i like sour things ). And at night I make a healthy dinner. Quit soda and coffee for the most part after I found out that I had high blood pressure. Go figure, right? Good luck to all of you getting in shape! Dont die!

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

I got 21,236 steps yesterday and none of that was running! Also back on Keto, will see how things go in a month.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Two days off walking (it felt like I ran a 500k) and today is back on with it. I'm working up to doing it daily, and it's shocking how different even asphalt is as a terrain compared to a mall walk.

Also, walking in braces and walking in high heels is a similar experience. Don't ask me how I know.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

I joined a gym like two years ago but didn't start going consistently until earlier this year. I'm 6' even and according to the gym scale a couple days ago ~217lbs. Before I joined I ranged between 240-250 depending on how many pizzas I had that week, now all my XL shirts are too loose

My main roadblock to losing weight is diet, this year I've gone from drinking every night to having 2-3 drinks a month which helps but I can't stop eating garbage 24/7. I try to run a calorie deficit according to what my apple watch says I burn but that's probably not good for lifting a lot.

When I would work out with a buddy we did a lot of light weight high rep sets, and did them infrequently enough that we never increased the weight; now I try to get in at least three times a week and am starting to show decent gains (ugh).

I set a deadlift PR the other day and got so lightheaded I thought I was going to pass out, that wasn't great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

I've been participating in the weight loss challenge in the YLLS subforum since spring of last year. I've made a major transformation but I am still working on it.

2018 Challenge
First DEXA scan (10/16/18): 156.4 at 12.3%
Prior DEXA scan (12/6/18): 145.7 lbs at 5.8% body fat
Final DEXA scan (1/29/19): 141.8 lbs at 4.4% body fat

Start weight for 2019 challenge (1/3/19): 147.8 lbs

Previous weight (4/27/19): 156.4 lbs
Current weight (6/1/19): 153.4 lbs
Change: -3.0 lbs

Distance to first goal - low weight goal (140): 13.4 lbs
Second goal: maintain 142.0-145.5 range (for 60 days)
Final weight goal: increase weight to 160 to 175 lbs at 4.5-6.5% body fat (should take 12 to 24 months)

Really slow month of May with only 3 lbs lost. I've set my caloric intake to reach the low 140s by the end of June so I'm about 45 to 60 days from my goal.

My lowest body fat was 4.4% and I'm hoping to break 4% and hit 3.9% at my low weight goal of 140 but things get super rough below 5%..

My shoulder in 2018 from left to right
Dec 15 at sub-5.8%, Nov 22 at ~8%, September 26 at ~14%

Yuns fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 1, 2019

«21 »