Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
Welcome back to the Stanley cup blues!

You done broke your curse!

HOW COULD YOU fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
How could you

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Just got home from Game 6 against the Sharks, what a ride this has been so far. Keep it going BLUES!

:siren: WE WANT THE CUP. :siren:

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

Whoops I didn’t see that there already was one further down the page I apologize for my faux pas

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

America deserves another term of Trump for this Cup Final

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm fine with toronto being alone at the top of the list for cup droughts.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ugh. Smelliest possible finals. Chaos playoffs was not worth it.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

It could be worse. The last time the Blues and Bruins met in the finals, we got the Orr goal. I'm curious to see if Binnington ends up being the next Cam Ward or the next Ken Dryden.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
It could be down to the Canucks and Sabres for the Sad Boys Club and that's good enough a reason for me to cheer for St Louis

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Excited for the match up between the two worst trades in semi-recent Leafs history.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I don’t think any of us saw this matchup back in April. What a ride, hockey owns!

Also go Blues. :toot:

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Congrats Blues on now holding the record for most Final appearances without a cup. No longer tied with Vancouver!

Backes will soon join Pronger and Hull in the prestigious category of former Blues captains to be traded away then win a cup.

gently caress the Blues go Bruins

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

Fateo McMurray posted:

Congrats Blues on now holding the record for most Final appearances without a cup. No longer tied with Vancouver!

If they get swept again they will tie Detroit’s coveted record of “most times swept in the cup final”

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I was more concerned by a healthy Sharks roster and there's no Joe Thornton distraction here (not that that I'm convinced it would have even been that much of a distraction) so I think this was the preferable match-up for Boston. The Blues just sort of seem like Hurricanes-West to me. There's that "we had to scrap to get here and we've been playing playoff hockey all year blah blah blah" narrative, and sure it's impressive and they've overcome a lot, but that sort of glosses over the fact that if you're in that position to begin with it's because your team isn't that good.

I know that's sort of a weird thing to say about a team that made the Finals, but that's my general impression of them.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
So, another week off for the Bruins?

They gonna be hungover as poo poo on Monday.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I was more concerned by a healthy Sharks roster and there's no Joe Thornton distraction here (not that that I'm convinced it would have even been that much of a distraction) so I think this was the preferable match-up for Boston. The Blues just sort of seem like Hurricanes-West to me. There's that "we had to scrap to get here and we've been playing playoff hockey all year blah blah blah" narrative, and sure it's impressive and they've overcome a lot, but that sort of glosses over the fact that if you're in that position to begin with it's because your team isn't that good.

I know that's sort of a weird thing to say about a team that made the Finals, but that's my general impression of them.

A healthy sharks roster is better than the Blues, at least on paper, so you’re correct. Blues have more fire power and better goaltending than the Canes do, so it’ll be a good matchup.

I’d give the Bruins a 55 to 45 favorite. Biggest thing the Bruins have that worries me is Rask. He could steal the series.

Oh, and also, let’s go Blues.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

I think it’ll be a good series. My prediction of bruins in 5 is just reflecting that they’ve won their series in less games than I’ve predicted every time.

Which is good in a hockey sense but they’re embarrassing me in front of sas, which is very rude

Also, this is one of those situations where a loss won’t be devastating. Having another team win their first cup is always fun. That said, gently caress the blues and their stupid arch, it’s just half an oval who gives a hotdang, get a cooler monument ya bums

HOW COULD YOU fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 22, 2019

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

All I know is this isn't going to 7 because it's been 8 years since a cup finals went all the way and if there isn't one it'll be the 2nd longest stretch in league history without one (albeit a far cry from the 15 year gap between 1971 and 1986). It's also 65 years since it ended in game 7 OT.

We are not allowed fun.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

All I know is this isn't going to 7 because it's been 8 years since a cup finals went all the way and if there isn't one it'll be the 2nd longest stretch in league history without one (albeit a far cry from the 15 year gap between 1971 and 1986). It's also 65 years since it ended in game 7 OT.

We are not allowed fun.

literally the last person I’d expect to want a repeat of 8 years ago

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

HOW COULD YOU posted:

literally the last person I’d expect to want a repeat of 8 years ago

I no longer feel. Just give me new experiences so I can get a slight jolt of those sweet endorphins for a fraction of a second.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Duckman2008 posted:

I’d give the Bruins a 55 to 45 favorite. Biggest thing the Bruins have that worries me is Rask. He could steal the series.

I don't think Rask would be stealing anything. The Bruins are flat out better than the Blues from top to bottom. They're converting at 34% on the powerplay and have the best penalty kill too. Their top line all scored over 1.2 points per game in the regular season and started getting hot again at the end of the Carolina series, the overall depth is fantastic, and as you mentioned Rask has been essentially unbeatable. This is a team that was arguably the second best in the NHL and before the playoffs they were just about the only team people thought might have a chance against Tampa (look how dumb we all were). If any goalie is going to steal the series it'd be Binnington.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

sweep in either direction would be hilarious due to it making the blues 0-16 or making the penns the first ever major league team to get swept by the team that got swept by the team that got swept by the team that got swept

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
You'd think the season series was 2-0 Bruins and not 1-1.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Go Blues

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mike_V posted:

You'd think the season series was 2-0 Bruins and not 1-1.

It was a shootout win so it's more like 1-0 Boston and the Blues get a smiley face sticker on their paper.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I would be happy if the blues won but I do not think they will

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I've been waiting 33 years for this and it still feels unreal. I might actually be back in St. Louis around when the series would be over if they win and I can't even imagine what that would be like.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably a lot of fires and people shooting off guns.

And then maybe some celebrating if they win.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Mike_V posted:

I've been waiting 33 years for this and it still feels unreal. I might actually be back in St. Louis around when the series would be over if they win and I can't even imagine what that would be like.

It kicks rear end.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Come on sweep curse.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Washington winning last year really messed with the expectations of the true members of the sadness club. We all know what's going to happen here.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
did boston ever work out its issues with organized crime and local sports teams? the city isn't relevant enough for me to know off hand

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

:yeah:

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Go “not the Bruins”

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
Oh hey a sparkling new thread for me to yell gently caress the Blues in.

gently caress the Blues in.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Duke Chin posted:

Oh hey a sparkling new thread for me to yell gently caress the Blues in.

gently caress the Blues in.

Go Bruins :dehumanize:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well, you could say that, or you could take a different opinion. Like.

gently caress the Bruins.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bruins posters are gonna get hosed up this series just fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't think Rask would be stealing anything. The Bruins are flat out better than the Blues from top to bottom. They're converting at 34% on the powerplay and have the best penalty kill too. Their top line all scored over 1.2 points per game in the regular season and started getting hot again at the end of the Carolina series, the overall depth is fantastic, and as you mentioned Rask has been essentially unbeatable. This is a team that was arguably the second best in the NHL and before the playoffs they were just about the only team people thought might have a chance against Tampa (look how dumb we all were). If any goalie is going to steal the series it'd be Binnington.

Carolina is probably not the team to use as a barometer of how well the Bruins have been playing. They had a Cinderella run, but relied on collapses by better teams and overperformances on the part of some of their players to accomplish it. Against Boston, a solid team without glaring weaknesses, their few hot hands were unable to make any dents and they seemed to crash back to reality.