Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

If you've ever gone to a trivia night of any kind, you've probably met this person. Full of themselves, argues over tiny details if they miss a question, usually attends trivia last night. What causes a person to turn into a complete monster while trying to win a $5 gift card?

My wife and I were at a trivia night last night. Things were going really well, everybody was having fun. Then some rear end in a top hat walks up to the host and goes "Uh, actually, I need 2 minutes with you." and debates a question in the last round. The poor host has to give her the point, recalculate EVERYTHING for everyone, and you just felt all the fun get sucked out of that room instantly as it went dead silent. 21 teams and every single one was staring daggers at her and her companion.

Then she goes "So you'll see I've got a perfect score now!" and gives this smug smile to everybody. gently caress you, buddy.

When the night ended about an hour later everybody just kind of shuffled off. As we were driving home we saw the rear end in a top hat in question stomping around outside on her phone, probably trying to argue even more questions since she didn't even win trivia with all her complaining and nitpicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
She had a perfect score after the last round and didn't win? Then yeah, she has a good point to complain about

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

actually i like trivia assholes i find them delightful

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Yeah but was she hot?

ilovebeersooomuch
May 23, 2014

rear end in a top hat trivia:
The rectum acts as a temporary storage site for feces. As it is filled with fecal matter the nerve receptors lets you know that it is time to defecate.

Do you know the details of the particular trivia they felt needed correction? What was their problem?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Drunk Nerds posted:

She had a perfect score after the last round and didn't win? Then yeah, she has a good point to complain about

No she missed a question, which prevented her from getting a perfect score up until that point. She argued that question and got the point back. (for reference the question was "Which character from the animated movie Pocahontas was not based on a real person?").

But then she missed some stuff in the next round and the final round which prevented her from winning the whole thing.

Also regarding "was she hot" - she was the type of person to argue over Disney facts at a trivia game on a Tuesday night, what do you think?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

A Fancy Hat posted:

No she missed a question, which prevented her from getting a perfect score up until that point. She argued that question and got the point back. (for reference the question was "Which character from the animated movie Pocahontas was not based on a real person?").

But then she missed some stuff in the next round and the final round which prevented her from winning the whole thing.

Also regarding "was she hot" - she was the type of person to argue over Disney facts at a trivia game on a Tuesday night, what do you think?

Uhm, Meeko, the Raccoon, obviously. The talking tree is totally real.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Uhm, Meeko, the Raccoon, obviously. The talking tree is totally real.

Talking tree was real and actually slaughtered many white men in its time, it's an unsung hero of Early America.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
And here I was hoping it was a trivia about assholes.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
People who cheat using their phones are so much worse.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I see how that's annoying OP. Don't they have breaks between rounds where it's much easier to ask for a correction without making everyone wait? But what's more annoying for me is someone writing a trivia question like "what's the only character in Pocahantas that's not real" when there are like 7 talking animal characters. I hate when people can't write trivia questions right

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 15:10 on May 22, 2019

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

A Fancy Hat posted:

k- keep talking...

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Find a new bar or drink at home with a stack of trivial pursuit cards.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
heh... the only character whos not real in Pocahontas is the Great Spirit ...

yeah... i said it ... i'll own any theist, even one from a minority religion! deal with it, for much like the LORD i am "no respecter of persons" (Acts 10:34)

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah, I see how that's annoying OP. Don't they have breaks between rounds where it's much easier to ask for a correction without making everyone wait? But what's more annoying for me is someone writing a trivia question like "what's the only character in Pocahantas that's not real" when there are like 7 talking animal characters. I hate when people can't write trivia questions right

None of the animals in Pocahontas talk, idiot

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Assholes in the Arabian Nights:

Scheherazade's husband, who we might today call 'masculine, but in a toxic sense'

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Whooping Crabs posted:

The trivia night place we used to go to didn't have too many rear end in a top hat question-arguer people, but everyone was absolutely awful about just looking things up on their phones. One guy constantly used loving voice commands which was so brazen it was almost respectable. I felt really bad for the trivia guy cause he was cool and you could tell he was exasperated with telling people not to be on their phones if they were playing. It sucks because even though trying to answer the questions is fun in and of itself, it's a real bummer to hear the guy at the table next to you go "Okay google..." every single question.

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

We had trivia you could play on the TVs in the lounge I ran and bartended at and I used to challenge the bar, 6 to 10 traveling businessmen including a few regulars. I could hold my own against them all lol.
It was a great way to promote small talk and jokes and I would tease them so it helped tips.

Apparently average drunks and salesmen don't read.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Just go to bars when it isn't trivia night and answer any questions at all that you hear asked aloud.
No competition to bother you, OP.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

The trivia night place we used to go to didn't have too many rear end in a top hat question-arguer people, but everyone was absolutely awful about just looking things up on their phones. One guy constantly used loving voice commands which was so brazen it was almost respectable. I felt really bad for the trivia guy cause he was cool and you could tell he was exasperated with telling people not to be on their phones if they were playing. It sucks because even though trying to answer the questions is fun in and of itself, it's a real bummer to hear the guy at the table next to you go "Okay google..." every single question.

The trivia night I play at uses the Speed Quizzing app so you only enter the first letter of the answer on your phone. Combine that with only having 10 seconds to answer each question and it's virtually eliminated any possibility of cheating. Of course the downside is that sometimes people guess answers correctly by just smashing a letter on the keypad without having a clue what the actual answer is, but I'd much rather people get lucky every now and then than to allow for the possibility of cheating.

Trivia cheaters are the worst.

sandwiches_and_ham
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
~sings~

assholes at trivia nights,
exchanging answers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5h_EW4odWw

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

i went to a movie trivia night once it kinda sucked all the questions were too hard like wtf stop asking me poo poo about stuff from the 50s

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Assholes for $400, Alex

This is the medical term for when the inside of the butthole is outside the butt.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Mind_Taker posted:

The trivia night I play at uses the Speed Quizzing app so you only enter the first letter of the answer on your phone. Combine that with only having 10 seconds to answer each question and it's virtually eliminated any possibility of cheating. Of course the downside is that sometimes people guess answers correctly by just smashing a letter on the keypad without having a clue what the actual answer is, but I'd much rather people get lucky every now and then than to allow for the possibility of cheating.

Trivia cheaters are the worst.

yeah the speed quizzing app is excellent, pretty much every trivia night around here (gainesville fl) anymore uses it

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

That's bananas, nobody down here uses it. Sounds cool, but I feel like I would miss the table-wide discussions about why someone thinks the right answer is A instead of B or whatever. Everyone down here still uses paper slips with like a 1-song question length.

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

Whooping Crabs posted:

This 100%. I don't get it at all. Where's the fun in just googling poo poo? Trivia is all about getting drunk on cheap beer and the tears of your crushed opponents.

They had to cancel the music trivia in my local once Shazam became a thing.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

adamarama posted:

This 100%. I don't get it at all. Where's the fun in just googling poo poo? Trivia is all about getting drunk on cheap beer and the tears of your crushed opponents.

They had to cancel the music trivia in my local once Shazam became a thing.

You gotta win that $10 gift card to the bar, or a collection of Funko Pops, or whatever cheap crap the MC is giving out to keep people coming. By any means necessary!!

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Over summer, in a town based almost entirely around a engineering school, one can drink for free all off-season when your only opponents are a couple of bored professors who always take first and your team can snag second place. Good fiscal sense. You don't even have to be assholes, and anyone being a triva rear end in a top hat in what's 80% of the time a biker bar...doesn't happen.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Beet Wagon posted:

That's bananas, nobody down here uses it. Sounds cool, but I feel like I would miss the table-wide discussions about why someone thinks the right answer is A instead of B or whatever. Everyone down here still uses paper slips with like a 1-song question length.

you can still have discussions even in 10 seconds but yeah it does significantly reduce the discussion length. we encourage people to just hit the answer immediately if they're confident (there's a speed bonus for being the first team to get the question correct, so added incentive to go even faster) and if no one mashes a button we try to figure it out then guess if we have to

the discussion gets cut down, but then again you can also pound out 3 rounds of 20 questions each with breaks in between rounds to get beer in like 90 minutes so i much prefer this format

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Sid Vicious posted:

None of the animals in Pocahontas talk, idiot

drat, then what's in this weed?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Op it sounds like it woulda sucked for that person had they lost out on a point they shoulda earned so maybe your event organizers should suck less and there wouldnt have been any conflict.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
My buddy ran the table at this bar in town and came away with $150.00 gift card. A couple weeks later before he got to cash in, the bar closed for....racism. Yes, a night manager said some choice words after getting frustrated with minority patrons, and it was boycotted and gone by the end of the week.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

kumba posted:

you can still have discussions even in 10 seconds but yeah it does significantly reduce the discussion length. we encourage people to just hit the answer immediately if they're confident (there's a speed bonus for being the first team to get the question correct, so added incentive to go even faster) and if no one mashes a button we try to figure it out then guess if we have to

the discussion gets cut down, but then again you can also pound out 3 rounds of 20 questions each with breaks in between rounds to get beer in like 90 minutes so i much prefer this format

I'm gonna have to see if anywhere around me does this, it would be cool to try at least once.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
the one thing i will say is that for this format of very fast trivia, having a large team can actually be a detriment. too many cooks in the kitchen kind of thing

my wife and i go to trivia every wednesday at a local brewery and as a team of just the two of us we generally manage top 3 despite there being teams of 8+ people, so if you play with a large group you're probably better off sticking with a more traditional format

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Chief McHeath posted:

Assholes for $400, Alex

This is the medical term for when the inside of the butthole is outside the butt.

What is "rosebud", Alex?

It's also a movie trivia :eng101:

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

Spin here, gotta change my name I'm so lazy!
Thanks A Fancy Hat for another good thread.
Giving me ideas🤔

phobo
Aug 7, 2008
A funny slang term for "rear end in a top hat" is "Dirt Button." Just a little "rear end in a top hat trivia" for you.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

An anus is actually comprised of two sphincters: an internal and an external. Time works the same way.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Trivia nights are real? I thought that was just something made up for aqua teen hunger force

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I went to Harry Potter trivia night once and found it frustrating because it was 90% really basic poo poo which mean 5 teams were tied for first. Then suddenly at the end it was 10% impossible poo poo which meant the team willing to cheat was the one to win. The final tie breaking question was to write down the word count for all eight books. One team got it perfectly right. Who the gently caress knows that from memory?