Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

We used to have an all-goon trivia team at a bar in Hamilton. Winner would get a charcuterie board.

People will go to great extents to win a meatplate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I had a drunk guy sitting next to my team once that started Googling and telling us answers like he was being so loving clever and no one else had ever thought to do the same thing. I told him it wasn't cool and to cut it out and he did it a couple more times. We didn't give a poo poo about winning and definitely weren't going to regardless so it was whatever. But people are weird.

Master J Plus
Apr 20, 2010

by Hand Knit

Vim Fuego posted:

So you met Lindsey Ellis IRL, no one is impressed

Don't talk about my future ex-wife that way

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I forgot to mention the best thing about Geeks Who Drink. There is almost no arguing with the quizmaster. If it has to do with the wording of a question and you gently caress it up, they have a stock line to give you and generally don't engage further. It has become our running joke for poo poo going wrong

geeks who drink dot com to complain

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
What's the line?

bubblebee
Jan 6, 2014

coronatae posted:

I forgot to mention the best thing about Geeks Who Drink. There is almost no arguing with the quizmaster. If it has to do with the wording of a question and you gently caress it up, they have a stock line to give you and generally don't engage further. It has become our running joke for poo poo going wrong

One of my favourite places has the "no arguing with the quizmaster" rule. Works pretty well. if you want to argue with him...don't!

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

hayden. posted:

I had a drunk guy sitting next to my team once that started Googling and telling us answers like he was being so loving clever and no one else had ever thought to do the same thing. I told him it wasn't cool and to cut it out and he did it a couple more times. We didn't give a poo poo about winning and definitely weren't going to regardless so it was whatever. But people are weird.

quote:

Yes, yes, I know! T'is the perfect plan. I'll secretly Google the answers to these trivia questions, then I'll discretely whisper the answers to this team next to me. They'll love it! They'll be so happy I helped! Cheating will help me make friends! Maybe even that guy's girlfriend will want to take my virginity! :chord:

I made myself sad, typing out the poor, completely fabricated, story of this hypothetical lonely man. :smithmouth:

hayden. posted:

What's the line?

Everything's made up and the points don't matter.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Arrhythmia posted:

Unfortunately, all your talking scenes were cut.

:vince:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

coronatae posted:

Yeah I’ve been to lots of them and they seem to have professionals writing and proofing the questions so very little arguments going on. Plus they are good about posting results the next day so you can check scores. Highly recommended!

I’ve been to a few of their themed nights, for Game of Thrones one team got like 89 out of 90 possible points. They were in a highly visible table so cheating didn’t seem possible, they just really enjoyed HBO.

Got invited to a Geeks Who Drink Harry Potter themed event, my one contribution was naming the team Dumbledore’s Navy.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i feel like one answer to smartphone cheating would be to have a box in the center of the table that everyone puts their phones into.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

as psyops team names go, General Sherman Did Nothing Wrong always puts people off their game around here.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

shame on an IGA posted:

as psyops team names go, General Sherman Did Nothing Wrong always puts people off their game around here.

General Sherman Didn't Go Too Far Enough

Our team name is usually something someone said during the first round before team names are due, particularly if it's good out of context.

We have spent entirely too much money at the bar but have saved over $700 in the past 3 years from our gift cert winnings at our mediocre-but-fun trivia.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I used to do casual trivia nights a pub. It was usually really fun but this one dude never had his own team and would try to latch on to another group before we were locked in.
My group happened to be down one person so when he asked, we allowed him in.

As the introductions were happening, he kept going on and on and on and on about how smart he was and how he would carry the whole team.

Not only was he stupid as hell, he nearly got us kicked out because he'd scary yelling at our scribe when they disagreed with him.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bubblebee posted:

One of my favourite places has the "no arguing with the quizmaster" rule. Works pretty well. if you want to argue with him...don't!

My brother decided to run a trivia night as a fundraiser for a local charity and all his bogan mates were trying to help him set it up, and they were dead keen on including a rule that said "You can stop the trivia at any time and challenge any question but you have to pay $20 to the charity if you're wrong" because they thought it was hilarious to see idiots lose money and hey, it's all for charity, right?

I explained to him that he'd get drunk cunts arguing all night and then getting all pissy and the constant interruptions would make the trivia run an hour over time and everyone else in the room would be real annoyed every time it happened and have a lovely time. I'm pretty sure he ended up going with the "No arguing with the quizmaster" rule instead.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I go to a trivia night at a local pub. Just numbered tables and you can sit wherever you want. So no wacky team names.
Also you swap the answer sheets with the team next to you and they correct it. Really laid back and cool atmosphere.
Won some €10-25 gift cards... but our bill is always €120 or more so yeah. Real fun nights though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Our team won T-shirts one year in the finale, for artistic impression. (I used to doodle on the answer sheets.) I think some teams always cheated but they were also the teams with 6+ members so they got to enjoy the worthy prize of one-point-something beer coupons each.

The assholes were the people who never attended a single quiz before but showed up for the finale and took so much on their plates at the free buffet that a lot of people got nothing.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

MA-Horus posted:

People will go to great extents to win a meatplate.

In Australia it's called a Meat Tray. And they are raffled in every country pub the nation wide.

Also yes, people will do magnificent, terrible things in order to win one.

shut up blegum posted:

I go to a trivia night at a local pub. Just numbered tables and you can sit wherever you want. So no wacky team names.
Also you swap the answer sheets with the team next to you and they correct it. Really laid back and cool atmosphere.
Won some €10-25 gift cards... but our bill is always €120 or more so yeah. Real fun nights though.

These are also the kinds of Trivia nights I go to. They are a lot of fun, and whilst you do get the nerds/pedants/overly competitive arseholes who take it too seriously, they generally don't last long. Because nobody gives a poo poo about them and how clever they are, and are too busy taking with their friends, and being friendly to the table next to them that marks their paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scornful Sexbot
Sep 24, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i feel like one answer to smartphone cheating would be to have a box in the center of the table that everyone puts their phones into.

Every phone in 2019 is the size of a Buick so our guy just forbids them being out during a round. If your hand is a glowin the answer you ain’t a knowin