Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Lowtax posted:

If something's busted, just email me. For your health.

what are the direct lines of contact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
im talking email address, twitter if youre still there, steam, discord, whatever. just, hang those in like a sticky in qcs and say EMAIL ME IMMEDIATELY IF SOMETHINGS BROKEN because I personally thought you were dead in a ditch or something

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

ArfJason posted:

im talking email address, twitter if youre still there, steam, discord, whatever. just, hang those in like a sticky in qcs and say EMAIL ME IMMEDIATELY IF SOMETHINGS BROKEN because I personally thought you were dead in a ditch or something
I know this will shock and amaze you, but I own the email account lowtax@somethingawful.com

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
:thanks:

whenever its not gmail or something like that i assume noone uses it. Also what about other more immediate means

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

ArfJason posted:

:thanks:

whenever its not gmail or something like that i assume noone uses it. Also what about other more immediate means

Facebook I'm Rich Kyanka

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Lowtax posted:

Facebook I'm Rich Kyanka

:staredog:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Lowtax posted:

If somebody here can suggest a way to organize the smilies in a logical way, that a majority of the other users agree with, I'd be more than happy to implement it.

At a simple level, add tags or at least descriptions, to the smilies so we can search using the browser's text search facility

:btroll:
I might try to search for this using 'fat' or 'fatty' or 'hambeast' or 'meat'
I'd never think to search for 'btroll'

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Google Wave I'm BigManTurdLuvr48

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Lowtax posted:

Google Wave I'm BigManTurdLuvr48

dude... hit me up on icq

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

ArfJason posted:

dude... hit me up on icq

I'd legit still use ICQ

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Thirding or fourthing this, but notices when you're quoted would be a big and immediate QOL improvement. The different color system that's live now helps somewhat but you still need to keep track of any discussion you've participated in.

This is nice, almost anything would be better than the current very arbitrary layout.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I was wrongly called out for hating Hamburger Helper by a moderator because I voted a thread 2 by accident. I agree that the vote links are too close to the link for going back to the main forum. I'd also spend :10bux: to pick from a list of platinum icons

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Supreme Allah posted:

Thirding or fourthing this, but notices when you're quoted would be a big and immediate QOL improvement. The different color system that's live now helps somewhat but you still need to keep track of any discussion you've participated in.

This is nice, almost anything would be better than the current very arbitrary layout.
Thanks to our dumb and archaic system system foundation, that would likely destroy the database. The forums simply weren't built on the idea that something like that was even possible, so you're talking about each user querying essentially a forum-wide search every X seconds they're logged in. If there's a tech dude who knows of a different or feasible way to accomplish this, I'm all ears. Also if there's a tech dude that exists, I'm all ears.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

sweet thursday posted:

I was wrongly called out for hating Hamburger Helper by a moderator because I voted a thread 2 by accident. I agree that the vote links are too close to the link for going back to the main forum. I'd also spend :10bux: to pick from a list of platinum icons
That's easy enough, how much space would you / everybody else prefer to be between each number?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Lowtax posted:

That's easy enough, how much space would you / everybody else prefer to be between each number?

I think it's more of the placement on phones. Once you scroll down to the bottom of the thread and attempt to hit the link back to "General Bullshit" for example, it seems a lot of us with stupid thumbs are voting threads 2 and 3 by accident.

edit: Maybe shift them to the right side near post/reply

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

ArfJason posted:

dude... hit me up on icq

also I'm on steam as lowtaxico, but I'm always playing Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor Martyr

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
Are you in charge of the mobile app? If so, can we get the saclopedia or whatever it’s called on there?

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Robokomodo posted:

Are you in charge of the mobile app? If so, can we get the saclopedia or whatever it’s called on there?
I am not, but that's another thing I need to get my stupid rear end on; either make it the official app and link to it when you try to browse via phone, or do a lovely, half-assed job of serving a bastardized jquery version of the forums to mobile. The thing is, when I last asked, people were saying mobile wasn't a big deal and shouldn't be a priority. Granted that probably was six decades ago, but still!

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Lowtax posted:

Thanks to our dumb and archaic system system foundation, that would likely destroy the database. The forums simply weren't built on the idea that something like that was even possible, so you're talking about each user querying essentially a forum-wide search every X seconds they're logged in. If there's a tech dude who knows of a different or feasible way to accomplish this, I'm all ears. Also if there's a tech dude that exists, I'm all ears.

First, I'd make the quote notices a platinum feature, so you could use the existing PM system if needed. For the query, the forums already seem to do something like that, because they tell me how many new posts have been made in any thread I've previously clicked on. There must be some way to limit the quote query to threads that the poster has actually posted in.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Supreme Allah posted:

First, I'd make the quote notices a platinum feature, so you could use the existing PM system if needed. For the query, the forums already seem to do something like that, because they tell me how many new posts have been made in any thread I've previously clicked on. There must be some way to limit the quote query to threads that the poster has actually posted in.
But they only tell you that when you've refreshed or clicked on a forum / sub-forum and you've manually requested the data. You would be multiplying that impact by the number of forums / sub-forums, by the period of time between intervals, by the number of platinum users logged in. It would be a nightmare from this brute force standpoint, trust me.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Lowtax posted:

It might be more useful if it highlighted whatever you vote with the option to remove it or pick another. You could use the current vote number list as is and add some form of highlighting if the user has voted (ex: a border around the selected option or maybe lowlight the other options). The user could then click a different vote or remove their vote. Removing the vote could either by done by clicking the current vote or maybe once a vote is selected you show an X or something to be used as a remove vote button.

People will make mistakes clicking things no matter the layout, so its best to provide them a way to fix it imo.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Lowtax posted:

Basically it could would work like this: If you quote someone the post is parsed the forums for bbcode and whatnot. If a quote is parsed, find the user the quote is attributed to and send them an alert or PM or mail.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Shaggar posted:

It might be more useful if it highlighted whatever you vote with the option to remove it or pick another. You could use the current vote number list as is and add some form of highlighting if the user has voted (ex: a border around the selected option or maybe lowlight the other options). The user could then click a different vote or remove their vote. Removing the vote could either by done by clicking the current vote or maybe once a vote is selected you show an X or something to be used as a remove vote button.

People will make mistakes clicking things no matter the layout, so its best to provide them a way to fix it imo.
Actually I never made a mistake clicking on anything here in 20 years...................................... until I clicked on you're post

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

you could make it so on submitting a post it looks up the user IDs of quoted user and logs in a table with the following columns:

id, timestamp, thread_id, post_id, user_id, seen

then you can use a small fast query on viewing the forum doing a COUNT of unseen quotes for the user and then have a page that actually displays them, on generating that page run a query to mark all of them as seen

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Lowtax posted:

Actually I never made a mistake clicking on anything here in 20 years...................................... until I clicked on you're post

oh no im so sorry for ruining you're streak

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Shaggar posted:

oh no im so sorry for ruining you're streak

I'm just sorry if any children had to witness this epic ownage.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lowtax posted:

I am not, but that's another thing I need to get my stupid rear end on; either make it the official app and link to it when you try to browse via phone, or do a lovely, half-assed job of serving a bastardized jquery version of the forums to mobile. The thing is, when I last asked, people were saying mobile wasn't a big deal and shouldn't be a priority. Granted that probably was six decades ago, but still!

Either of these would be really cool; the apps don't have all the functionality of the site, and the mobile version for browsers still leaves a lot to be desired in terms of scaling and layout, at least the last time I tried it, which to be fair was probably five decades ago.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

treasure bear posted:

you could make it so on submitting a post it looks up the user IDs of quoted user and logs in a table with the following columns:

id, timestamp, thread_id, post_id, user_id, seen

then you can use a small fast query on viewing the forum doing a COUNT of unseen quotes for the user and then have a page that actually displays them, on generating that page run a query to mark all of them as seen
Treasure Bear please email me

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Lowtax posted:

I'm just sorry if any children had to witness this epic ownage.

the youngest person on these forums like like 45 so I think we're ok

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I would love a button to “Show my posts in this thread” that I can click on without having to find a post of mine first. Sometimes I’m not sure if I posted in a thread a long time ago.

If this already exists and I just can’t find it because I’m a dummy feel free to let me know.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Smilie chat: cull them. Assuming you can check this, any that haven't been used in whatever time frame you want {6 months, a year, whatever) goes away.

There are just too many of them, many with esoteric names, that are probably just collecting dust because they were a fad and now nobody remembers it.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Just a tiny QoL suggestion: when trying to search for something in a certain forum I'd like it if checking that forum didn't automatically check all of it subforums too. It's annoying to have to deselect the subforums you aren't interested in.

Currently:

Ideal:

Basically some kind of option to toggle 'check everything' vs 'check this specific forum.'

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

JakeP posted:

I think Xenforo has an addon that is basically Imgur integration.

You drag a image into your post, it uploads the image to imgur, and displays the image where you dragged it in your message

Perhaps something like that would be nice :shrug:

I want this. Holy crap that'd be good.

E: also, if we're gonna have a dark mode we need the :3: and :kimchi: emotes to have the single misplaced white pixel in the bottom right to be removed. For the YOSPOS cat thread if nothing else.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 23, 2019

guestimate
Nov 10, 2011

a mysterious cloak posted:

Smilie chat: cull them. Assuming you can check this, any that haven't been used in whatever time frame you want {6 months, a year, whatever) goes away.

There are just too many of them, many with esoteric names, that are probably just collecting dust because they were a fad and now nobody remembers it.

No point to this, will only piss people off

Before considering this Lowtax ^^^^(if you happen to) please ask us or something...

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

guestimate posted:

No point to this, will only piss people off

Before considering this Lowtax ^^^^(if you happen to) please ask us or something...
I'd never change / remove anything that people paid for before asking them. And no, I wasn't considering their proposal.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
After that fake thread about getting the mods gift cards I kind of wish there was a way to throw the mods some dough. I'm assuming it was fake and no one received Ruby Tuesday gift cards. Tipping the mods would be cool though.

Also, I want a subforum that has ai bots but you clone real and current users so no one knows who's real.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

Also, I want a subforum that has ai bots but you clone real and current users so no one knows who's real.

That'd be pretty cool actually.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
for the smilie page, maybe some way to add keywords so they are easier to search? some have stupid names that don't match what the actual smilie is. like if you want this one :viggo: instead of "smug" or "scholar" it's "viggo" for some reason, and unless you knew that already you'd have to dig through the whole page to find it. when you hover over the smilie on that page a more useful caption is already there for most of them, so maybe some way to make that searchable (or even just on the page itself so I can just ctrl+F and find it that way).

and/or a way to sort the smilies by popularity/last used, so the poo poo that no one ever uses is way down at the bottom

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Booourns posted:

The rules should be updated, there's a bunch that aren't enforced and a bunch that aren't written that are selectively enforced, resulting in silly things like mods probating other mods for saying retarded

I agree with this, and also...

I know this has been brought up before, but we should make an effort to make some of the backend code more community sourced. Look at what the goons can do with only visible front end code!

Throw it into a repository that is invite only, invite only goons to review and comment on it. Nothing gets finalized until Lowtax gives his approval of the features/ implementation.

We have a ton of computer touchers on the forums who are willing to put in time/effort to features they care about. Or at least to review code bases and give opinions on it for other coding goons.

Remember that when 4ch grew too big, it was imploding until the /Unix community got involved.

We also should make it volunteer and not offer any sort of reward. Every time you've invested in a coder, they've gone missing or taken a bunch of money and run off. This is usually a sign of burn out. A revolving group that gets nothing in return but the ability to help out could be really beneficial. It could also stop you from having no programming resources to talk to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

gey muckle mowser posted:

for the smilie page, maybe some way to add keywords so they are easier to search? some have stupid names that don't match what the actual smilie is. like if you want this one :viggo: instead of "smug" or "scholar" it's "viggo" for some reason, and unless you knew that already you'd have to dig through the whole page to find it. when you hover over the smilie on that page a more useful caption is already there for most of them, so maybe some way to make that searchable (or even just on the page itself so I can just ctrl+F and find it that way).

and/or a way to sort the smilies by popularity/last used, so the poo poo that no one ever uses is way down at the bottom

:hmmyes: