Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Booourns posted:

The rules should be updated, there's a bunch that aren't enforced and a bunch that aren't written that are selectively enforced, resulting in silly things like mods probating other mods for saying retarded

I agree with this, and also...

I know this has been brought up before, but we should make an effort to make some of the backend code more community sourced. Look at what the goons can do with only visible front end code!

Throw it into a repository that is invite only, invite only goons to review and comment on it. Nothing gets finalized until Lowtax gives his approval of the features/ implementation.

We have a ton of computer touchers on the forums who are willing to put in time/effort to features they care about. Or at least to review code bases and give opinions on it for other coding goons.

Remember that when 4ch grew too big, it was imploding until the /Unix community got involved.

We also should make it volunteer and not offer any sort of reward. Every time you've invested in a coder, they've gone missing or taken a bunch of money and run off. This is usually a sign of burn out. A revolving group that gets nothing in return but the ability to help out could be really beneficial. It could also stop you from having no programming resources to talk to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Lowtax posted:

I was mostly joking about my inability to accomplish even minor things from a technical standpoint.

UltraRed posted:

I agree with this, and also...

I know this has been brought up before, but we should make an effort to make some of the backend code more community sourced. Look at what the goons can do with only visible front end code!

Throw it into a repository that is invite only, invite only goons to review and comment on it. Nothing gets finalized until Lowtax gives his approval of the features/ implementation.

We have a ton of computer touchers on the forums who are willing to put in time/effort to features they care about. Or at least to review code bases and give opinions on it for other coding goons.

Remember that when 4ch grew too big, it was imploding until the /Unix community got involved.

We also should make it volunteer and not offer any sort of reward. Every time you've invested in a coder, they've gone missing or taken a bunch of money and run off. This is usually a sign of burn out. A revolving group that gets nothing in return but the ability to help out could be really beneficial. It could also stop you from having no programming resources to talk to.

Can we bring this up as something that should be implemented? We can actually vet features rather than having threads that solicit ideas that we just throw things into a pool and only pick out things that can be trivially implemented.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can you give us any idea on what features have piqued your interest, Lowtax?