Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who goes #3 overall
Bowen Byram (D)
Vasili Podkolzin (RW)
A WHL Center (C)
A USNTDP Player (C/W)
Other
View Results

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Who What When Where Why How?

The 2018 NHL Draft is time time of year when all 31

Alright, so who's eligible for this shinding?
wikipedia” posted:
Ice hockey players born between January 1, 1999, and September 15, 2001, are eligible for selection in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft

That was a masterful power move NSN. I'm rattled to my core.

Canucks are gonna just draft some bland defenceman and be all shocked when he's not Erik Karlsson in six years while Kaliyev and Caulfield are potting 30 a year for the Oilers and Flames.

Either that or Benning will spend the entirety of the next month making increasingly erratic pitches to a completely uninterested Ray Shero in a desperate attempt to reunite the Hughes brothers and waste all the time he could've used to actually make some rebuilding moves for once.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 12:10 on May 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Tell me about Kaliyev.

The weirdest prospect I can remember. It's hardly a novel idea to say that he looks disengaged for long stretches and doesn't stand out in any way in the OHL. Yet he scored at a rate that should make him a top 5 pick. He's great at stealthily moving into scoring positions and using his bullet of a shot and great vision to finish a play off. He doesn't do much to generate offence, but as the final piece in putting it into the net he's undeniably excellent.

I think concerns about his laziness and general disinterest are completely overblown, and kind of feel like he's a newer breed of player that takes the quietly get in position and bury his chances style of sniper to its natural extreme. Whether that will work in the pros remains to be seen, but I think he's a safe bet simply on stats alone.

He's no worse defensively than most other guys his age. I don't know what that gets brought up. I could see him becoming a decent middle six guy just fine if he doesn't make it as a top line sniper. He's less of a boom or bust than most seem to think.

Players who score at his rate are generally top 5 picks. At any point after that he should be a slam dunk high ceiling selection, but he'll fall to the teens because he doesn't really have many comparable players in the NHL. You can't easily describe him in relation to any contemporary NHLers and as dumb as that is it goes against him (the closest I can think of is Heatley and even that seems not really a great descriptor).

I'd be happy if the Canucks took him at ten. I understand why scouts are wary of him and hoenstly I see exactly what they mean with the eye test. Then again I go back to the fact that how he plays clearly works at the OHL level and guys who have his level of success have historically translated that onto the pros at a startlingly high rate.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

So if the overblown laziness thing results in Calgary getting him I should be dancin'?

That would be supremely annoying, so yes. With that said, I'm nowhere near as bullish on Kaliyev as I was on deBrincat who fell entirely because of his size. Kaliyev plays a weird style that is hard to wrap your head around. He'll probably need to play with a couple of good playmakers to be effective. I don't think he'll be anywhere near as lights out in the NHL, but I also don't think a few 25g seasons are out of the question for him. He's probably more of a complimentary piece than anything (which would be great for a team like the Flames).

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

In no universe is Bo Horvat and the 10th overall worth 2nd overall. I'd forgive Jim Benning all of his indiscretions if he pulled off a trade even remotely like that. Everyone talks like teams are interested in top picks, and I'm sure they are, but one hasn't moved since 2003. It's not going to happen this year or any year and isn't worth speculating about. Don't worry, the Rangers will take one of Kakko or Hughes at 2. I can assure you of that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/iyer_prashanth/status/1138822547024166913

Hughes is very, very good; Kaliyev and Brink are going to go way too low.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He's got those MSL legs, he'll be fine.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hey it's draft day today! Mr. Benning and Mr. Aquillini, I know it's in Vancouver this year but I beg of you:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Why do I get the sinking feeling nothing interesting is going to happen today

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

That hair dye though.

He knows a thing or two about getting younger

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Cole Caulfield gets draft day

https://twitter.com/nhlgifs/status/1142204229886599170?s=19

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Haha I loved Bob McKenzie running through all the Canadian teams just repeating "they tell me they haven't been offered anything worthwhile to make a move, they're expecting to pick." God this day is always such a let down.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

lmao NHL Network feed is talking about how good the Canucks rebuild is going, how good Benning is, and how good their owner is

Hey man, they're down to only like five albatross contracts. Once Benning gets rid of those (after he brought them in in the first place) the rebuild can begin in earnest and they can start picking up picks and prospects. They're only like 4 years away from getting this rebuild off the ground!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Glambags posted:

Gimme trades!!

Can't wait for the 18th pick to be traded for the 22nd and 46th!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

NHL teams repeatedly fail to trade down in situations like this because they over value their own pick and don't just you know make the easy choice and recoup a couple extra picks.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Canucks have oodles of great forward options here but are gonna mad screw it up

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Broberg sounds like a real feast or famine guy

Depending on who you ask us either the definition of a modern defenceman or Philip Larsen.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

grack posted:

"And the 10th overall pick, the Vancouver Canucks select... two dozen Japadogs and a case of Steamworks Oatmeal"

Patrick White again!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Don't love it. Whatever we'll see. As with all Russian players anyone who professes to have any opinion on one is a liar because no one has ever seen him play.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1142239346889592832?s=19

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

heeheex2 posted:

huh. well i wasn’t expecting that at all but that’s a pretty awesome pick

Given this team's consistently terrible treatment of Russian players, I am not expecting much.

I'm terrified for the splash now.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Can't wait for the 18th pick to be traded for the 22nd and 46th!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

thinktank i hope for you that taking the russian doesn't mean benning is secure for three years

Just gently caress this poo poo up man

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Where are any trades at all this draft blows

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Good god is Kaliyev a money pick here

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

tofes posted:

as far as I can tell there were no draft day trades???

It was the first draft without a player changing teams since 2005 which was hastily assembled after the lockout, held in a hotel and wasn't open to the public.

In a league increasingly short on relevance, the NHL should be ashamed of what happened yesterday. We're told repeatedly that there are three major trading days in the year and one just passed without a blip. There was no real excuse this year, I can't think of a good reason why no trades took place other than extreme risk aversion by the people in charge.

The NHL better send a memo to all GMs and remind them they're in the entertainment industry and trades are free advertising. Yesterday was just sad.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wow please no 2020 1st but he's exactly what we need

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

there's no way that's a first, surely this is "not trade in the East, clear cap" deal for TB with the usual lower returns

Yes but Benning

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

Millers weird. He’s skilled and good but somehow underwhelms

He also did the biggest throw up
His hands and give up on his team after the rangers said they were going to rebuild. It was pathetic

Honest to god, a warm body that can play with some skill and strength on a line with Pettersson and Boeser is what we need. He just needs to be a middle six complimentary piece that can round out the top six. If he consistently pots 45-50pts and takes some pressure off the youngsters I'm all over this.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Kaliyev to LAK. Another multi cup winner gets a guy who'll score a bunch and everyone will say "wow how did we miss him except for all his goals and points."

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Spring Break My Heart posted:

hes not even short!

Yeah but he sorta looks lazy when he plays. Lazy as he roofs his second goal and fourth point of the night.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Hoglander seems like a good pick

I don't mind it. I doubt he amounts to much but I'm happy it's not some tough rear end defender who's a bust a month before he's selected this year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/BatchHockey/status/1142487328515973125?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1142487428009086977?s=19

Aaggghhhhhhhh I fuckin told you