Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Realistic but not optimistic: Moon civilization is not going to happen until humanity is on the brink of death or Earth is uninhabitable because the process of getting it livable is a more enormous money sink than anything else in history and nobody's willing to put up the cash. It very well might happen, but it won't until it's almost too late for it to matter. The perspective of "I wanna do it first" seen in the original space race would spur some progress real fast in my opinion, but the internet-age thing-to-care-about-of-the-week culture is not gonna help the US maintain that attitude for very long.

Optimistic but not realistic: Some countries have been really, really pushing for green energy and alternative fuels and production materials lately, with a lot of nebulous "by xxxx year that isn't this year we will be entirely green-fuel-efficient" goals getting set. If environmental protection takes precedence, colonizing the moon will not be necessary for a very long time. That will make it take even longer to get there than if there was a rush (or a competition between countries) but with the goal being more long-term I think some countries would be much more willing to pony up the money needed.

So personally, I think moon colonization will happen someday either way, but it really is a matter of money over science as are all things in the 12+ digit number range.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU