Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

1.11 update link: http://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/2250/rtw2-v1-11-update-available

Hey guys! You may remember Rule the Waves as a little indie game about big boats shooting at each other. Well Rule the Waves 2 is a little indie game about big boats launching airplanes at each other! You can play as a bunch of different nations, develop their navies from 1900 to 1955, and then fight wars with them. Do you want to gain a colonial empire and then lose it to the pathetic liberals who just give up your hard-won colonies like its nothing? Do you want to do some real bad fascism, but this time in a boat? Do you want to play as the Austro-Hungarian Navy for some reason? These are all options!

You start the game in 1900 or 1920 as an admiral in charge of the navy. Your goal is to rack up the most prestige for yourself and your country. Standing in your way are pesky liberals, peaceniks, froward natives, and also other navies. In this game, bankrupting the nation for arms development, colonial land-grabs, and irresponsible saber-rattling are the paths to victory. But be sure to win the wars you will help to cause, otherwise you will be fired and your name will be put on a garbage scow!

New to the game are aircraft carriers and air group management. Above is a late game American carrier with all the bells and whistles like auto-loading dual-purpose gun turrets, radar-guided fire control computers, and a small forest of AA guns. Unlike the battleships of the mid-game, this ship can put out about 80 tons of ordinance at a strike range of 400 nautical miles. But get caught at night or in bad weather and the carriers are completely helpless against traditional surface warships, so the player has to maintain a balance.

Thankfully air group management is pretty lightweight in this game. You direct what types of aircraft will be purchased and, if you care, can micromanage air groups, but the game mostly handles generating and equipping air groups automatically. The most in-depth you have to get is clicking the squadrons you want to launch in a strike package and making sure you give them a target so they don't fly 300 miles in the wrong direction while your fleet gets pasted.

This game was kind of a sleeper grognard favorite when it came out, so hopefully people will like it again this time around. Be warned, the grand 1900-1955 campaign is long but I know a lot of people will see that as a plus. I've completed one game and while the 1.0 version is a little buggy it is very playable and air works more or less as it is supposed to. I spent most of 1910 to 1950 in my first playthrough trying to evict the Nazis from Cuba, saw submarines banned as terror weapons, and sank a very large number of battlecruisers with naval airstrikes so I'd give it about an A.

You can pick it up for $35 at https://nwswargamingstore.net/.

I've heard some people had trouble buying the game. They do only accept PayPal but personally I had no trouble buying or unlocking the game. The license system is unusual but you don't have to wait for your copy to be licensed in order to play!

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If you live outside the US the store may not work for you. You can fix this by lying and telling the store you live somewhere in the US. I recommend 1060 West Addison Street, Chicago, IL.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Pirate Radar posted:

If you live outside the US the store may not work for you. You can fix this by lying and telling the store you live somewhere in the US. I recommend 1060 West Addison Street, Chicago, IL.

This is because their store is setup with a whitelist where if your country is not on the list you cannot make a purchase. Thus when people from previously unknown countries like say, Japan, tried to purchase it failed.

quote:

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note, we are seeing orders from countries that we do not typically see orders originate from so I have added a lot more countries to the authorized list. If for any reason you cannot get your order to process please contact me at warshipfc@yahoo.com for assistance. Thanks :)

With any luck they'll soon know what all the countries on Earth are and can successfully add them to the list.

e: 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington DC 20500 is also a popular purchase location.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The company is literally four people. :shobon:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I actually wonder if it is possible to sell a game in a worse way than this one in 2019.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Yeah you need to put something in the OP about how tricky actually obtaining the game is. 4 people is no excuse, Minecraft and factorio were a single person for years.

- paypal only
- issues with many countries
- drm based on your machine code, so you need a new key if you upgrade your computer, which would be fine except
- keys are manually emailed out by someone at NWS, so you may be waiting several days to actually play

Check out how much fun the grog games thread had trying to buy this thing here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887173&pagenumber=22&perpage=40
Before you purchase

Splode fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 23, 2019

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Most anticipated game for a year to not touching this because poo poo devs.

RTW2

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No you can play the game while waiting for the key it's fine. I had zero problems buying the game.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

No you can play the game while waiting for the key it's fine. I had zero problems buying the game.

Yeah, but is there a 3 day window if you change your ram or something? It's truly a terrible drm system.

e: Of course, I still bought it.

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 23, 2019

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

You fuckers cost me money, this rules.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

nvm

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I enjoyed grogging the first one, will likely enjoy grogging this when I have the budget.

THE AUSTRO-HUNGARIAN CARRIER FLEET WILL RULE THE MED.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I'm playing the USA in 1910 right now and eagerly awaiting air techs to become available. :suspense:

And out of curiosity does anyone know what is up with the AI Legacy fleets having crazy illegal designs like 2x triple above-water torpedo launchers on CLs and predreadnoughts with heavy AA and DP secondaries in 1900?

TehKeen fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 23, 2019

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
You don't need a paypal account to buy the game, either, for what it's worth. They use Paypal to process payments but once you get to that step you can just pay with a credit or debit card.

Got my code already, here.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

TehKeen posted:

I'm playing the USA in 1910 right now and eagerly awaiting air techs to become available. :suspense:

And out of curiosity does anyone know what is up with the AI Legacy fleets having crazy illegal designs like 2x triple above-water torpedo launchers on CLs and predreadnoughts with heavy AA and DP secondaries in 1900?

Known bug

Be aware even when you do first get air power it's all biplanes and they're kind of trash even though early dreadnoughts are very vulnerable to torpedo bombers. don't neglect what's the dreadnoughts in the first game's time period. The 1930s or where airpower really takes off.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 23, 2019

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

TehKeen posted:

The really fun bit is when the auto-designer gives you illegal stuff that you then can't turn off and can't save the design so you need to scrap it and start from scratch. I had it keep giving me DP guns on auto-designed CLs last night and since I hadn't researched DP guns the checkbox was greyed out and I couldn't un-check the guns to save the design. I like using the auto-designer to give me a base ship with some funnels and stuff before I go through and make my changes and in rtw2 doing this means you now need to go remove a bunch of triple torpedo tubes and AA guns you haven't researched yet.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

So what speed is everyone leaning towards for your battle line?

I've been leaning towards USN style; set a speed at 23 knots with my first generation of BC's and work up to 9x16" guns and a 16" immunity zone as close to max range to about 20k yards(12.5-14 Belt, 13-14.5 Turret and 3.5-7 Deck and Turret Top depending on year).

It's been pretty successful, as anything faster either is outgunned or has a much smaller immunity zone and gets dunked on early, and 23 knots is enough to chase down most B's and CA's with my first generation of BB's that the game calls BC's.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Arglebargle III posted:

Known bug

Be aware even when you do first get air power it's all biplanes and they're kind of trash even though early dreadnoughts are very vulnerable to torpedo bombers. don't neglect what's the dreadnoughts in the first game's time period. The 1930s or where airpower really takes off.

So, torpedo bombers are always good, but the battle generator will not often give you your carriers until you've developed the tactic that lets you have a seperate carrier group.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

quote:

The following are the fixes/changes made for the 1.01 update:
Aircraft maintenance cost in main screen will now update when a squadron is added or disbanded in the air groups screen.
Fixed unreachable invasion target at Rhodes.
Sunk ships will no longer repair aircraft.
Fixed a bug with display of hangar side armour.
Fixed display of ship speed in nation data ship lists.
Slightly increased ready and spotting times of aircraft
Stopped some erratic course changes at start of battle.
Prevented building of airbases in the base overview screen until airbases are invented.
Map flags are now updated when a nation changes government type.
Removed automatic scrapping of old Corvettes.
The design board of the AI nations now also demand guns on their first carrier.
Misidentified ships will now not be revealed in the ship data card.
If twin DP guns is invented, then basic DP guns will be unlocked as well.
Fixed a bug with CL sometimes being built with features ahead of their time by the AI in a 1900 start.
If the first carrier is below 20000 tons, the design board will only demand 6 in guns.
Fixed a bug with torpedo hits not being credited to air formations.
Prevented bulging of ships below 2500 tons.
Fixed erroneous hints in rebel support event.
Added text in battle map if weather prevents floatplane or air ops.
The eccentric scientist will now be less eccentric, i.e. he will not invent things in tech areas that are not even known.
When aircraft prototypes are offered, only the three latest non-obsolete types of the same role will be shown for comparison.
Fixed an error in in CheckDarknessApproachingBase procedure.
Surprised airbases will not launch strikes, not even at other airbases.
No reminder about air group for museum ships.
Cancelling invasion target will not change ASW or submarine policy display.

Patch notes for the 1.01

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Update link in the OP

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 24, 2019

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So in another installment of “how did they not test this?” the historical budget tickbox is broken and doesn’t do anything. Everyone has game budgets all the time.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

current AAR playing as GLORIOUS AH!

I have been in three wars so far.

First vs :france: and :ussr: in 1902 was mostly a stalemate. I stopped as my unrest was a 9 for slight concessions with the major losses being a French battleship that foolishly sailed unsupported into my harbor and got destroyed by torpedos.

Second war was against GB :britain:
i
I sunk a lot of the royal fleet as they continued to send ships into my waiting jaws. The biggest engagement was my sinking of 4 british battleships with a single large predreadnaught of my own. which well it was twice the size of any of the british ships even if the brits did have larger guns my superior crafted 12 inch cannons (+1 quality early!) shattered their outdated hulks.

Sadly the british deployed none of their dreadnaughts or other new ships against me but the crown capitulated in shame and I got malta and Cyprus.

Kaiser then signs a treaty while I am just short of my first dreadnaught and limits poo poo to 12k tons and 8 inch turrets scrapping years of effort.

5 years down the line I am in a war with Italy with no good ships versus the 4 pre treaty dreadnaughts they had built... I have a single aircraft carrier of 12k tons I built and my crusiers and light cruisers.

Glory though is to my single original battleship (AH IS POOOR I could only have one B to start) which had updated its engines in an overhaul and managed to come out on top in a gun duel with a Italian BB.... if you count on top as limping home with 1 flood point left and almost no structure points but damaging the BB so hard I outscored 2 to 1. :italy:

I am having such fun being constantly out numbered and generally outteched as well since I can build like 1 ship at a time.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Well, looks like it's time to repost my Mad Max Ship Names mod from 5 years ago https://pastebin.com/2GnjrKuR

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.
Anyone have any experience on CAPs doing their job? They have been severely lackluster so far, even with CAP set to max and 40% fighters on my CVs.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah? Not sure the issue they've run themselves for me.

Ikonoklast
Nov 16, 2007

A beacon for the liars and blind.

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah? Not sure the issue they've run themselves for me.

I mean they launch and all that, but seem to be on a constant teabreak, letting enemy divebombers and TBs do what they want.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No they shoot stuff down for me.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

:rip: my discretionary funds from my next paycheck.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
If you wanted to live forever you shouldn't have been assigned to a destroyer.

Dude, I appreciate the fighting spirit but I'm not sure you grasp how torpedoes work.

Worth it.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Very Honorable :japan:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pulled the trigger and I have now become one of you godforsaken grognards.

Also I tried designing a ship and everything broke. Relying on thehistoricalgamer's Getting Started vid now. Mainly I just need a look at what buttons to be hitting first.

Taintrunner fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 26, 2019

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
What settings or themes can I change in Windows 7 to make the menus not look like '95 Minesweeper? I know people did it for RtW1 but I can't find those posts anymore here or on the NWS forums.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Jesus, once you get half decent fire control radar you just clown on any ship that doesn't have it.

As the US I was in a late game war with the Soviets and two of my radar equipped light cruisers utterly crushed four USSR heavy cruisers from outside visual range that I don't think even got a solid hit in return.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 26, 2019

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Pretty much how it worked out irl too. Check out any latewar surface engagement where the USN just shits all over the IJN without taking any real damage. Surigao strait being the classic example.

0400 hours the West Virginia opens fire at 23k yards and scores with the first salvo. The IJN didn't even get to shoot back.

Saros fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 26, 2019

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I love how even the registration and purchasing system for this game is grognardy as hell.

Is there any way to see what the limitations any current in force arms treaties are?

Sheep fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 26, 2019

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Alright. Question one, where is the Goon Discord. Question two, where is the goon BSc or Master thesis on how to play this.

I just wanna build boats to shoot boats with that have silly amount of guns.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Saros posted:

Pretty much how it worked out irl too. Check out any latewar surface engagement where the USN just shits all over the IJN without taking any real damage. Surigao strait being the classic example.

0400 hours the West Virginia opens fire at 23k yards and scores with the first salvo. The IJN didn't even get to shoot back.

Yeah FC radar was extremely good and basically destroyed the Japanese night battle advantages.

Also see Scharnhorst becoming totally helpless once its FC radar got knocked out.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

It was a super interesting game in general. For the vast majority of the 40s and 50s there were really restrictive treaties in place. First nothing over 12,000 tons and 8 inch guns, then nothing over 18,000 tons and 12-inch.

Basically everyone was stuck with whatever BB, BC, and CV hulls they had in 1942. Led to me having to make a lot of creative redesigns and modernizations. Meant that fleets were majority CAs and CVLs.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sheep posted:

I love how even the registration and purchasing system for this game is grognardy as hell.

Is there any way to see what the limitations any current in force arms treaties are?

If you hover the mouse over the part that tells you how much longer the treaty will be in force, a tooltip will tell you what the limits are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Does poor education affect more than just research? Playing as Italy and my ships misunderstand signals a hell of a lot more often than when I played as the US.

They also seem to accidentally torpedo friendlies more often :saddowns: