Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Tech companies need to learn from other industries and give out a quality item people will want to use rather than trash that ends up in a desk drawer or dumpster the day after the conference. I went to a weed industry conference once and 95% of the booths were putting out real Bic lighters with their logo on them. You bet your rear end those stick around in people's pockets and bags getting used on the regular. I can still rattle off a half dozen nutrient companies by name years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

super nailgun posted:

Tech companies need to learn from other industries and give out a quality item people will want to use rather than trash that ends up in a desk drawer or dumpster the day after the conference. I went to a weed industry conference once and 95% of the booths were putting out real Bic lighters with their logo on them. You bet your rear end those stick around in people's pockets and bags getting used on the regular. I can still rattle off a half dozen nutrient companies by name years later.

MS should give out boob mousepads with that anime character they were using to promote IE or Edge

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

super nailgun posted:

You bet your rear end those stick around in people's pockets and bags getting used on the regular. I can still rattle off a half dozen nutrient companies by name years later.

i have no idea what sulcrate suspension even is but i will gleefully take a notepad shaped like a giant pink stomach, and I LOVE BRAND is a small price to pay

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Shmoocon had a pro drybag as their bag this year and it's actually waterproof. There were also like 4 different flashlights. Also I never run of of bottle openers because security conference-goers are all massive alcoholics.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

super nailgun posted:

What's a $2 item that the tech industry can't live without?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

USB drives, but as noted in this thread it's apparently stupid to use one you get at a conference

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

a mouse bungee is a thing i'll never not have now, but they aren't $2

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Fayez Butts posted:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Father Jack posted:

i got a maglite from ontrack once, that was pretty good

promotional usb drives are good because you can give people files on them without caring about getting the drive back

reminder to take pictures of my USB drives

one's a wrench and the other is a fire hydrant lmao

drwiii
Aug 23, 2005

You guessed it: Frank Stallone.

Someone from Google Corporation, LLC was giving these away at GDC 2011. I haven't used it yet, but the plastic has fingerprints on it. Any ideas?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

based on the google promotion pattern that might be the biometric prints for any number of vps so it might be its own secfuck

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i like pens with old logos and defunct companies branding

can’t have too many pens tbh

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i went to a thing that wasn't so much a conference as it was a Google sponsored event to educate people on promoting their brands using search and maps. there was at least a 1:2 google employee to attendee ratio. it was like going to a cult meeting. i took home three pens and a tote bag.

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Fayez Butts posted:

Roosevelt posted:

MS should give out boob mousepads with that anime character they were using to promote IE or Edge

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ewiley posted:

Shmoocon had a pro drybag as their bag this year and it's actually waterproof. There were also like 4 different flashlights. Also I never run of of bottle openers because security conference-goers are all massive alcoholics.

yeah once I dumped out all the vendor leaflets from it to fit in my suitcase a week later it was pretty nice

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
dont really go to conferences but i took it upon myself to visit defcon and got this cursed thing

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Hunter2 Thompson posted:

dont really go to conferences but i took it upon myself to visit defcon and got this cursed thing

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

USB drives, but as noted in this thread it's apparently stupid to use one you get at a conference

i guess there's some risk, there's been things like ipods shipping with windows malware after all.

if you're someone who would be likely to be personally targeted then think twice i guess, but otherwise taking one from the pile that some big vendor are giving out doesn't seem too wild

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

https://theusblightercompany.com/products/black-usb-candle-lighter

got one of these. solving the problem of not worrying about keeping a 30c gas station bic charged

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

PCjr sidecar posted:

https://theusblightercompany.com/products/black-usb-candle-lighter

got one of these. solving the problem of not worrying about keeping a 30c gas station bic charged

get hosed. you can huff all the butane you want and the only thing that's gonna hurt you is that it isn't oxygen.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I won a pair of pretty decent headphones once but there is no topping the guy that won a HP printer and immediately traded it on the floor to someone who won a remote control tank

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My colleague got a nice ms tablet at an aws thing

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i got modern warfare 3 (for some reason?) at a dev conference which i took and returned to a store for credit to buy something else

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

get hosed. you can huff all the butane you want and the only thing that's gonna hurt you is that it isn't oxygen.

*huffs up a bunch of tar and nicotine*

HEH SURE AM GLAD I USED THIS USB LIGHTER AND DIDN'T SUCK UP ANYTHING TOXIC!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

i am not going to try this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wouldn't suggest it, but the idea that butane is "toxic" is entirely false. it is rated an NFPA 1, meaning it is likely to cause only acute skin irritation (and that would be for exposure cold liquid butane).

danger #1: inhaling butane means you don't inhale oxygen and that is a bad idea
danger #2: inhaling butane might mean you explode if there is an ignition source nearby.

q.v. my usual rant about misuse of toxin/toxic (poisonous compounds generated by biological processes). ricin is toxic; petrochemicals are poisonous

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Sagebrush posted:

the us blighter company dot com

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sagebrush posted:

q.v. my usual rant about misuse of toxin/toxic (poisonous compounds generated by biological processes). ricin is toxic; petrochemicals are poisonous

but petrochemicals are generated by biological processes too

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
methane comes from the butt, but butane doesnet :thunk:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

sun microsystems keychain pen, super useful

after like 10 years and a couple ink refills it broke so I got a different keychain pen off of amazon that’s smaller but isn’t as good

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
https://twitter.com/attritionorg/status/1226630447804776449?s=21

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

conference-adjacent but

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Lain Iwakura posted:

post your favourite conference swag that is crap

I had one of those Java Rings from one of the first Java Ones

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the conference swag store called, they're running out of you

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
that people can sell dreamforce backpacks on ebay for $30/pop amazes me

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

rotor posted:

I had one of those Java Rings from one of the first Java Ones

birth control ring for nerds

(got one too, and the USB programming cable)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Lain Iwakura posted:

i got a lock pick set from a conference that fits in a wallet

i refuse to use it since i have nicer picks

ha I bet I have the same set and don't use it for the same reason. was this from googles recruiting thing between blackhat and defcon?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my favorite thing I got was a bouncy ball that lights up when it hits stuff from HP. my kid loved it. I was excited for a battery I got but it broke instantly and that was sad

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

that people can sell dreamforce backpacks on ebay for $30/pop amazes me

it costs like 5 grand to attend so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
chewing gum is a solid one. they should give out gum