Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

larper
Apr 9, 2019
I'm an explorer. My entire life, I've been driven by the impulse to take the back route, the debris-strewn alley, the hole in the chainlink that forms a passage between here and there that most walk right past.

Natürlich, I have always been drawn to the subject of Fences in my photography. A fence forms a barrier between here and there - a stockade carrying the artifice of separation between you and what lies beyond. A fence can be emblematic of claims to dominion over an area - a subtle way of saying This is mine - and you're not allowed in. Photographing fences, then, allows us to enter these spaces visually, subverting the builder's intentions, and to form a discussion between the interior and exterior that becomes formed.

Post your favorite photographs of fences in here - yours, or someone else's. Here's a few I'd like to start with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Stunning work, thanks for sharing

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Oops, forgot to credit. First photo is unknown - found it on a photo thread on SA. Rest are mine.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

This one is my favorite because it so easily subverts the traditionally held notion that fences are an effective means of control over space. The plastic chair on the ground is the fallen throne of he (because of course it's a he) that would reign over his dominion.

EDIT: The use of found imagery serves to remind us that copyright law, like fences, is ineffectual at preventing artistic expression, despite the wishes of those who stand to gain from controlling it.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

MrBlandAverage posted:

This one is my favorite because it so easily subverts the traditionally held notion that fences are an effective means of control over space. The plastic chair on the ground is the fallen throne of he (because of course it's a he) that would reign over his dominion.

EDIT: The use of found imagery serves to remind us that copyright law, like fences, is ineffectual at preventing artistic expression, despite the wishes of those who stand to gain from controlling it.

I think you've captured a bit of why I like that one. Also, I really didn't mean anything by posting it without credit. If the original creator here speaks up I'll gladly edit in a photo credit :)

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

The Xkdc Larper posted:

I think you've captured a bit of why I like that one. Also, I really didn't mean anything by posting it without credit. If the original creator here speaks up I'll gladly edit in a photo credit :)

I didn't make the photograph but I did erect the fence depicted.

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Realize my photos of fences probably aren't the most inspiring ones ever taken :cheeky: Here's a few that I really enjoy.

Marion Belanger

Mitch Epstein

Robert Adams

Barbara Bosworth

Ansel Adams

My favorite is the Barbara Bosworth one, even though it sorta contradicts what I'm saying in the OP.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Stephen Shore, New York, New York, 1974, stereo slide

larper
Apr 9, 2019

MrBlandAverage posted:

Stephen Shore, New York, New York, 1974, stereo slide

Ooh

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
pics i took of fences over the years:

Portable Toilets by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Parliament by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Marktown by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Skyline by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Kiev, pre-apocalypse by Tom Olson, on Flickr

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Stay off my goddamn lawn, OP!

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

IMG_6069.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5310.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

IMG_5118.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Disassembled MiG-25 by Iain Compton, on Flickr

larper
Apr 9, 2019

RangerScum posted:

[/url]Skyline by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Really like these, especially this one. It's delightfully absurd

larper
Apr 9, 2019
A couple from the LARPchives, from most to least recent:

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

RangerScum posted:

pics i took of fences over the years:

Portable Toilets by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Parliament by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Marktown by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Skyline by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Kiev, pre-apocalypse by Tom Olson, on Flickr

Top fencing, Tom.

I look foward to the walls thread.

larper
Apr 9, 2019
Really like the last two. Make the thread!

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
That silt fencing is not gonna hold. :ohdear:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

They say good fences make good posters. My fence is kind of a piece of junk.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Is that last one Hadrian’s Fence?

God, just imagine living next to the picts. They’d make the Bumpuses look like the Cleavers.

e: On second look, that appears to be a more run-of-the-mill drystone wall. What I said about the picts still stands though. :colbert:

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Yeah no it's a random wall in the Lake District, I think Hadrian rubbed off on them when it comes to organizing sheep.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
More like the sheep rubbed off on them IYKWIM.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

AZ by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
gently caress it, fences

Okay that last one is kind of a stretch, but whatever.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

I'm a big fan of this one.

Not much other than industrial land around here to shoot on my lunch break.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Here’s my fencing response.

It’s electric, boogie woogie. No seriously, it’s an electric fence.

Edit: also I hosed the horizon on that last one because it’s a TLR and I didn’t account for the shooting lens. Pretend the post is about 2 inches taller.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Nice.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

You’ve got straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, crooked line, and a bunch more straight lines. It’s scratching something in my brain and I like it.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Krispy Wafer posted:

You’ve got straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, straight line, crooked line, and a bunch more straight lines. It’s scratching something in my brain and I like it.

Good phtoography is visual asmr

larper
Apr 9, 2019
I just want to say I am glad I made this thread. Really fantastic stuff so far. Keep it up yall.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Wow. Its rare to see so much death and decay compressed into one picture - the ceaseless erosion and rise of our oceans, the rotting bridge, the abandoned railroad tracks reminding of us a bygone age of optimism and trust in the systems of capitalism we now see in their twilight years. I really like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Nob Hill, Albuquerque.

A no-mans' land, a home to no life other than black widows and the odd wandering coyote or houseless person seeking respite for the night. Walking through the nexus of gentrification in South Albuquerque, I was drawn to this little street's deceptively normal appearance on the map and its wild nature only feet from manicured lawns and trendy renovated homes.