Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

Very nice.

Not yet a fence.

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Sleepytime posted:

Very nice.

Not yet a fence.

I prefer the ones you posted in the landscape thread but the top one is great as it is here too.

Of the two in that thread I preferred the bottom one but the bottom one in this thread just doesn't do it for me. It doesn't have the same strength of composition as if the objects were placed with a balanced photograph in mind

Twenties Superstar fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 15, 2021

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat

Twenties Superstar posted:

I prefer the ones you posted in the landscape thread but the top one is great as it is here too.

Of the two in that thread I preferred the bottom one but the bottom one in this thread just doesn't do it for me. It doesn't have the same strength of composition as if the objects were placed with a balanced photograph in mind

Thanks, I can see that. On the second one here I liked that it was easier to see the roll of fence. Maybe I should have tried given it more weight if not going the route I went in the landscape thread.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Fencing by B. B., on Flickr

Fence Too by B. B., on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gently caress yeah dawn purple snow. That poo poo is glorious to be out in.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

gently caress yeah dawn purple snow. That poo poo is glorious to be out in.

Fog was so heavy I got great light for a couple of hours.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

SuicidalSmurf
Feb 12, 2002

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

It’s spring time at the fence.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

This picture speaks to me

Kaewan
May 29, 2008

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

tk posted:

It’s spring time at the fence.

Oh, no!

tompepper
Feb 14, 2005

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

tk posted:

Oh, no!

Well, you finished the seasons, so maybe you'll get a new fence now!

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Kodak 120

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

please reconsider what you're doing to those poor images

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Who?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I'm pretty sure you. Those are terrible.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Oh, cool critique, that's very hurtful.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i'm not saying don't post but that processing is extremely overwrought and the sort of thing that this forum mocked for a decade. there's an entire thread dedicated to poking fun at images with that treatment. the 2nd especially, it's just been cooked so much

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
You all mock other artists in here?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

those images are way overdone in terms of processing, just ugly.

i'm seeing some photoshopped flare too which is just :baduk:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pleiadian Light posted:

It's the goon way, it makes us stronger.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Pleiadian Light posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3684472

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Full disclosure on a few things here, folks. I do actually know my way around a camera and editing. The gate pic was an experiment of sorts showing the extremes in Luminar AI if you throw every option and slider at a photo. Yes, it was intentionally overcooked. The sky isn't even real, that can now be faked in, the flare is fake, haze was added, etc. It was a throwaway photo from a year ago that wasn't in focus and as a case study in being able to turn a crap shot into a salvageable shot I started messing with it. Once I learned that you can literally paint a new scene in Luminar I went nuts trying to make a photo that actually looked painted. I wanted to see what I could pull out of a photo that I normally would delete. So yes, overcooked but for a purpose.

The Kodak 120 was shot on a $15 plastic holga in a series where I was learning not only to shoot film for the first time, but on a janky throwaway camera that falls apart when you try to load film.

You all didn't know that background, but I'm saddened that as artists we are tearing others down instead of building them up.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

i'm going to be a better poster than i used to be and just not respond to that. good luck with your experimentation, i hope you can make something good of it

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Pleiadian Light posted:

we are tearing others down

you think calling your photos terrible is tearing you down?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you want a hugbox to farm congratulations for your art, make a facebook group.

In these parts you get torn down so you can build back up the right way.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

bobmarleysghost posted:

you think calling your photos terrible is tearing you down?

Me specifically? No.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

xzzy posted:

If you want a hugbox to farm congratulations for your art, make a facebook group.

In these parts you get torn down so you can build back up the right way.

I think I'm pretty hip to that criterion.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

so then what are you on about?

we don't need to know any background on how those images were made to know they're terrible.
experiment, sure, but don't be a crybaby crying about people tearing you down because they call your terrible photos terrible.

learn to take criticism. the criticism for these pics? way overcooked, never do that again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also sky replacement is the HDR of the 2020's, let us never speak of it again.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Part of my art, off this board, is people's reaction to art and the psychology behind it. So it's interesting to me to see fellow artists telling someone to not do art a certain way, to stop making art, or just generally calling them terrible. It doesn't lend to growing a community of like-minded individuals. Creative criticism and being kind to others is different, as seen in the approach of bellows, and my hat is off to you, goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

:ok: