Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost
That last stretch to the summit used to have a large rock face called the Hillary step that posed at least some challenge before you were able to take selfies. After the 2016 Nepal earthquake it was almost completely wiped out and now it looks like the most dangerous Chipotle line.

Before(snow-capped boulder people are climbing on):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I've really been meaning to buy a van, hopefully a Toyota HiAce in matte black. This is prime airbrush material for the sides thanks.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's sad when any of the Sherpas die

The foreign idiots trashing the mountain up, not so much

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

That's begging for a good drone strike.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
For a really long time, I 100% would have gone up Everest if somehow I got gently caress you money. However I don't particularly feel like being part of this human spectacle at this point in time. Also were I to attempt the climb, and were I to die with my pants at my ankles, 99% of the way to the summit, I would hope that people would rip on me mercilessly.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

This should be illegal.

Unless they are all naked and penetrating each other, forming an anal man-train from the base to the summit.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Zartosht posted:

Rich people aren't human, hth.

Cool fig leaf but I can still see your death boner through it

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

give it a lick, it's rude not to

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

bollig posted:

For a really long time, I 100% would have gone up Everest if somehow I got gently caress you money. However I don't particularly feel like being part of this human spectacle at this point in time. Also were I to attempt the climb, and were I to die with my pants at my ankles, 99% of the way to the summit, I would hope that people would rip on me mercilessly.

The funny thing is there are other challenging mountains in the same area that aren't bedazzled with rich assholes and you can climb them for a fraction of the cost.

Or, just do alpine climbing and duck into a chalet and eat cheese and wine and sleep by a fireplace.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Sponge Baathist posted:

Hey guys I made it to Everest

lol

Fabricated posted:

It's sad when any of the Sherpas die

The foreign idiots trashing the mountain up, not so much

nobody should feel bad for the sherpas because they're the ones getting paid by the rich tourists (to poo poo all over their holy mountain). sherpas are the late capitalist sellouts in this story

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 24, 2019

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

poverty goat posted:

lol

nobody should feel bad for the sherpas because they're the ones getting paid by the rich tourists (to poo poo all over their holy mountain). sherpas are the late capitalist sellouts in this story

i'm ignorant of the culture: is mountaineering traditionally their thing?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

i'm ignorant of the culture: is mountaineering traditionally their thing?

I read something last year that basically said that they didn't really do the mountain climbing thing until white people came in the 20th century and hired them for it. they were good at it because they are used to living at high elevations and had climbing skills in general, but climbing the highest peaks wasn't something they did.

edit: here's a blurb about it https://www.britannica.com/topic/Sherpa-people

quote:

Until the 20th century and despite their apparent propensity for mountain climbing, Sherpas had not attempted to scale the region’s mountains, which they viewed as the homes of the gods.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
im glad when any rich people voluntarily shuffle their mortal coil doing something stupid and indulgent. but when it's a bay area gentrifier, it's even better

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

More people dead apparently. Aren't the people going up paying tour groups or whatever to carry their gear and tell them when it's okay? You'd hope the people you're paying would notice that there's TONS of people going up and it's obviously gonna be a disaster.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 24, 2019

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Hell yeah Everest thread.

Rich idiots falling over themselves to die on a meaningless nature hike and Goons whining about how we shouldn't laugh at rich idiots falling over themselves to die on a meaningless nature hike.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

hemale in pain posted:

More people dead apparently. Aren't the people going up paying tour groups or whatever to carry their gear and tell them when it's okay? You'd home you're paying would notice that there's TONS of people going up and it's obviously gonna be a disaster.

:capitalism:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The irony is that life as a rich person in 2019 leaves you ill prepared for any true survival situation. These people need a nanny or something to swoop in and point them back down the mountain when it gets perilous because theyve never been in danger before

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

OMGVBFLOL posted:

im glad when any rich people voluntarily shuffle their mortal coil doing something stupid and indulgent. but when it's a bay area gentrifier, it's even better

:yeah:

Outrail posted:

Rich idiots falling over themselves to die on a meaningless nature hike and Goons whining about how we shouldn't laugh at rich idiots falling over themselves to die on a meaningless nature hike.

the whining is really the best part

poverty goat posted:

The irony is that life as a rich person in 2019 leaves you ill prepared for any true survival situation. These people need a nanny or something to swoop in and point them back down the mountain when it gets perilous because theyve never been in danger before

oh they have them, they just refuse to listen because obviously being very rich they're so much smarter than everyone else especially the people they pay to provide them a service

the fact they're literally being killed by their own loving smug superiority is what makes it funny

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 24, 2019

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

gey muckle mowser posted:

I read something last year that basically said that they didn't really do the mountain climbing thing until white people came in the 20th century and hired them for it. they were good at it because they are used to living at high elevations and had climbing skills in general, but climbing the highest peaks wasn't something they did.

edit: here's a blurb about it https://www.britannica.com/topic/Sherpa-people

ohhhh yeah I'd heard about the home of the gods part

white people don't give a gently caress about the home of the gods

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

hailthefish posted:

the fact they're literally being killed by their own loving smug superiority is what makes it funny

it rules lol

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I bet it would be fun to sled down from the summit

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Imagine being mad at a thread imagine being that pathetic

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Relayer posted:

Some kind of colossal zipline spanning the entire mountain range that ends at sea level would probably sell to investors better.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Wasn't some guy was planning to snowboard back down a few years back?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

he dead

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Pyrotoad posted:

I think one guy tried it and never came back?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

It's all fun and games until someone gets chased down by the yeti and eaten :rip:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Leaving the traffic and prole grime of New York and LA to die in traffic of your fellow middle aged Alphas on a mountain

That's what we call Making It

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Cubone posted:

this just looks like a congaline up a really long staircase

It's a corpse production line. People are literally dying while waiting in the queue. And demand will only increase.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

Pyrotoad posted:

some dude paraglided off of it in the 80's and survived.

That Canadian woman who died on there remains the best story I've heard. She "trained" for it by walking the streets around her house, in a part of Toronto that's flatter than piss on a plate.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Arrhythmia posted:

The epic thread of goons surrounding dead bodies and chortling like ghoulish vultures is back FTMFW

The death of the mega-rich is objectively cool and good

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

olylifter posted:

some dude paraglided off of it in the 80's and survived.

That owns, actually.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Who What Now posted:

if only there was a way to do it right here at home without having to send people to tibet

we could off half of manhattan for the cost of one trip up the mountain

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Outrail posted:

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

empty oxygen canisters, ripped tents, frozen rich people, garbage of all kinds

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Relayer posted:

A dude tried that with a snowboard and was never seen again. :lost:

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Who What Now posted:

Yeah but it's not worth the death of the natives who guide them and have to carry all their poo poo and maybe sometimes fall into ice hell. The rich will die one way or another, don't worry.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Relayer posted:

A Japanese guy skied down in the 70s - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmOs-lSyejQ

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I was looking for this thread after the latest My Favorite Murder episode.

That queue photo is embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperghetti
Apr 21, 2010

Shut up Meg posted:

I did read one (and only one) story of a guy who gave up the chance to complete the very last bit of the climb to rescue someone dying instead.

That's the only time in 20 years that I have ever been impressed with an Everest climber's story.

That seems like a far more interesting cocktail party brag than “I was the 162839th person to climb Everest!”