Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

It’s blue because it doesn’t have oxygen

it's not thaaaaat blue even though yeah it's supposed to be more red on sea level

also for anyone interested

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x38ryi2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Delthalaz posted:

How can we get Instagram influencers to take up cave diving?

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Bah ahaha

taco season
Oct 10, 2014

College Slice
Today I learned that "farther" is a real word. wtf

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

taco season posted:

What about "further"? :haw:

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.

taco season posted:

Farther is usually used for literal distances, "2 miles farther down the road"; where-as further is usually used more figuratively, like "I can't take this any further".

However

the Oxford English Dictionary, Fowler's Modern English Usage, and a number of other sources posted:

in most cases, it's fine to use “further” and “farther” interchangeably, especially when the distinction isn't clear.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hopefully, we'll soon accept that "metaphor" and "similie" are the same loving thing as well.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

How much do I need to kickstart to put it up?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
National Geographic just installed a weather station at South Col and one at the Balcony, about 1000 feet below the summit. You can view weather data here: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/life-at-the-extremes/

Air temp and wind look downright balmy right now, the air pressure is hilariously low though.

Will be interesting to check this in winter.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Sunswipe posted:

Hopefully, we'll soon accept that "metaphor" and "similie" are the same loving thing as well.

I think similes specifically use "like" or "as" to draw comparison.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

`Nemesis posted:

National Geographic just installed a weather station at South Col and one at the Balcony, about 1000 feet below the summit. You can view weather data here: https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/life-at-the-extremes/

Air temp and wind look downright balmy right now, the air pressure is hilariously low though.

Will be interesting to check this in winter.

This owns but lol that the endless lines of tourists were the main threat to the only people with an actual reason to be there

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Rad-daddio posted:

I think similes specifically use "like" or "as" to draw comparison.

Simile is a subgroup of metaphor. A metaphor says thing A is thing B. Simile is just a more clarified or weaker form which uses linking words to stress that thing A is not thing B in a literal sense, but that they are just being compared.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Is Forums Cancer an example of metaphor?

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Looking forward to the devolution of language to the point of literally meaning figuratively.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

Looking forward to the devolution of language to the point of literally meaning figuratively.

sorry youre an annoying pedant
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/misuse-of-literally

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

pop fly to McGillicutty posted:

It's literally already there

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

skasion posted:

Simile is a subgroup of metaphor. A metaphor says thing A is thing B. Simile is just a more clarified or weaker form which uses linking words to stress that thing A is not thing B in a literal sense, but that they are just being compared.

And it's a valuable distinction because the simile is a trash expression for garbage people.

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!

Skippy McPants posted:

And it's a valuable distinction because the simile is a trash expression for garbage people.

Interesting way to talk about your mother, considering she's like a leech for my dongsauce.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

hayden. posted:

I am also subbed to both of these threads. What a nice crossover. Think anyone has died poopsocking P99?

This has been known to happen in Internet Cafes but I dont know if it ever happened with EQ since I'm not sure Internet Cafes were around back when EQ was popular.

Maybe Wow though.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 14, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
This thread is trash now. I’m closing it for a bit. Op can reopen when new poo poo happens.