Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Did you shitters know that there are forums on this web site besides the great flagship GBS? There are like a hundred forums and i bet you never look at any of them, you ingrate. you probably never noticed, what with Goku making all this ruckus powering up, and always walking around naked with his penis out and all. but i know what to do about it.

The format of the MEGATHREAD MEGATHREAD is simple. Post a link to one (1) :waycool: megathread that's not in GBS, then quote a favorite post from that thread. that way everyone can increase their QUALITY POST INTAKE rate. and i think you'll agree, that thats good!!

i'm going to post 3 because im making this loving thread and gently caress you!! huh!!

Let's Import Vehicles From Japan For Fun and Profit

KakerMix posted:

My wife and I operate a JDM-import dealership here in Florida. Limerence Motor Company This post is a compilation of lots of things that we've figured out and learned as we've done this, and it's put down here to help anyone else that is interested in importing something themselves.

Japan and Exporting Vehicles: Shaken
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor-vehicle_inspection_(Japan)
There is a lot of weird misinformation and legends surrounding Japanese used cars. Here is the facts:
In Japan when you buy a car you have 3 years from your first inspection before you have to have another inspection done. Your first inspection is done when your vehicle is first registered meaning you have to have an initial inspection done on a brand-new vehicle. After this, every two years regardless of age you must have another inspection done. Because of this (and other cultural quirks that I'm not at all qualified nor familiar with to understand or state) people in Japan tend to give up on their cars earlier than most people in the world which probably gave rise to the incorrect rumors about older cars in Japan. They have strict inspections and they don't give any lenience to older cars so that naturally culls older vehicles from the roads. There seems to be less appreciation for older cars in Japan vs. in the USA but as I don't live in Japan I can't say for certain. I do know that there are lots of people in Japan that appreciate Honda Beats like anyone though.
Because of this massive amount of used cars vs. the population to buy them Japan has a huge and sophisticated export mechanism with lots of businesses that operate within it. Most buyers being from those nations with more relaxed import restrictions like the UK, Australia, various European nations and places like Africa, Russia and India. Those of us in the United States, however, have some of the strictest rules on importing a vehicle not originally meant for the United States under the guise of "safety".
Note that with typical vehicle importation it's done with the Roll-on/roll-off system which means that the vehicle you buy will typically be running and can't have any major leaks. It also means that your vehicle will arrive fully drivable with the battery connected and fuel in its tank.

If anyone has any questions about any of this :justpost:, some other goons have already taken the dive and imported things of their own and maybe you should too!

HERE'S ANOTHER!!

The Watches Megathread

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

thinking of pressing my speedy into a fresh dog turd for a pic, please vote y/n on wether I should do this. voting closes in 30 mins.

one more now

Rom Hack & Fan Translation Megathread: Playing with our NESticle since 1997

Ballz posted:

(huge thanks goes to Heran Bago for many of these examples and writing much of the following introductory posts)

This post focuses on games translated into English that are otherwise not English. There are tons of other language translations out there though! Want to play Radiant Historia or Chrono Cross in Spanish? Maybe you want Goldeneye 007 or Shenmue II in French. There are a lot of Korean and German translations. See what's out there for your native language.

Below I present a very small selection of what's available out there, to help kick off the conversation.

BONUS shoutout to a longtime fav and candidate for coolest thread forums-wide

The Energy Generation Megathread

Hobo Erotica posted:

This, as the name would suggest, is a thread for talking about how we power our lives.

It is different from the climate change thread, because while the two often overlap, they are in fact separate issues. About 50% of emissions globally come from power generation, sure, but that means 50% come from elsewhere. And energy generation has ramifications far beyond climate - Cancer from coal mines, oil spills, corruption of water tables, social equity, employment, depletion of natural resources, transport infrastructure, etc.

So here we can evaluate the pros and cons of each technology and look at the developments in this rapidly evolving field as they happen. Most energy generation is based around spinning a turbine, usually through digging stuff up to burn it to heating water to create steam. But as we'll see here, there are many more than one way to spin a turbine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
there's a metal forging thread

Blacksmithing / Metalwork: Anything involving penetration has to be anodized.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

I read around about lock-and-stitch/plug-stitching and,
~~~As I Understand It, Having Studied This Topic For As Many As 20 Minutes:~~~
I don't think the off-the-shelf bolt technique as described would be suitable here.
The main reason you see it used primarily on engine blocks is because it does an excellent job of creating an airtight, pressure-resistant patch that lets the engine operate as intended. If the crack compromises the strength of the block, though, you start seeing keys being installed as part of the repair pretty quickly.

p much any extensive or long cracks repaired with stitching that I can find, particularly outside of overbuilt engine blocks where you don't have all that metal mass keeping the crack from spreading, has regular keys installed first along the repair length, ie

I found a decent page on the technique ( http://www.r-f.com/lock_n_stitch_repair.asp ) and it says conventional threads actually exert a pushing force across a crack, not a pulling one. Special bolts with a "hook" threaded section are called for when you want to bridge a crack with just bolts and no key:

or inserts that accept standard bolts and have the special draw-together thread profile on their OD:

So as far as I can tell, plug-stitching that door crack without specialized bolts would seal it (which doesn't really matter here) and make for a discreet fix once painted over, but would do nothing to prevent the crack from spreading further and may actually worsen the crack during installation. JB-weld is cheaper, easier and doesn't risk splitting the crack even more.

e: looking at it again, the first pic slung blade posted uses purpose-made stitching plugs that would have that clamping lip to draw the material together, which would explain the lack of keys id think

fuckin can probably rebuild a goddamn tank :killdozer:

Raspberry Pi: no flash photographs, please

eddiewalker posted:

It’s really hard to waterproof the Harbor Freight dummy camera enclosures.

well you can do neat poo poo with a pi but you gotta lean from the failures too

Let's Bonsai!

fuzzy_logic posted:

Doubleposting but the flaky outer bark has started sloughing off my yew in sheets which is great for multiple reasons. First, I assume that outer bark breaking up --> trunk is swelling rapidly which is great. Also, if you look up any taxus in a show environment, they're never displayed with the outer bark, it's always removed to expose the red under layer. The contrast between that and the white deadwood is *the* big feature of any taxus bonsai, and also is good for their health because the flaked outer layer can shelter bugs and hold moisture and infection. I've been removing anything I can easily lever off with my fingernail:

This part of the nebari is going to look really nice once it's cleaned up:

And the Amur says hi, it's backbudding like mad. In the bottom right you can see one of the old chlorotic leaves from the first flush compared to the new, darker and shinier ones after applying iron chelate. Huge difference! The iron won't fix any of the old foliage, just new leaves, so I removed most of the yellow ones so it can focus on healthy leaves.

when you wreck your tank from not waterproofing the homebrew control system, you can plant a cool tree in it!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
gently caress ur rools I did 3

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

SniperWoreConverse posted:

gently caress ur rools I did 3

:bahgawd:

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
bumping to get more threads
somebody post the threads

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm in so much PAIN from my loneliness

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STcVIPvr6lE

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Hello

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I'm taking a poo poo right now

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

a handmade gift is not only cheaper but it's also more meaningful and the time you put into making it shows you really care

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I'm a regular contributer to the bonsai thread, I find it fitting that it is one of the slower updating megathreads.

Good people there

The project megathread is cool too

Lots of people posting their latest things, from sculpture renovation you can see people doing cool things

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2734807&pagenumber=104&perpage=40

Jestery fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 25, 2019

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Stark Fist posted:

Did you shitters know that there are forums on this web site besides the great flagship GBS? There are like a hundred forums and i bet you never look at any of them, you ingrate. you probably never noticed, what with Goku making all this ruckus powering up, and always walking around naked with his penis out and all. but i know what to do about it.

The format of the MEGATHREAD MEGATHREAD is simple. Post a link to one (1) :waycool: megathread that's not in GBS, then quote a favorite post from that thread. that way everyone can increase their QUALITY POST INTAKE rate. and i think you'll agree, that thats good!!

i'm going to post 3 because im making this loving thread and gently caress you!! huh!!

Let's Import Vehicles From Japan For Fun and Profit

HERE'S ANOTHER!!

The Watches Megathread

one more now

Rom Hack & Fan Translation Megathread: Playing with our NESticle since 1997

BONUS shoutout to a longtime fav and candidate for coolest thread forums-wide

The Energy Generation Megathread

PRABOB

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Nooner posted:

I'm taking a poo poo right now

same but right now fr

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

I just took a piss

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Sid Vicious posted:

I just took a piss

Me too! Outside!

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I rarely dwell outside of GBS. This is an exciting and frightening thread premise.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Chief McHeath posted:

Me too! Outside!

Nice dude! Feel that cool breeze !

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Kuato posted:

I rarely dwell outside of GBS. This is an exciting and frightening thread premise.

PYF is pretty good because you can just skip all the talking

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Wouldn't you call this a terathread?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Lamebot posted:

Maybe if you're a loving nerd! And you also skipped Giga

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Simpering underling: Milord, the gibbis is corrupted. Outside threads have been introduced to it. Our only chance now is to purge the system.

Me, a cool dude: Do it.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

Simpering underling: Milord, the gibbis is corrupted. Outside threads have been introduced to it. Our only chance now is to purge the system.

And Doug youre crazy

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lamebot posted:

dare you post...
In the TERRORTHREAD!?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Sid Vicious posted:

Maybe if you're a loving nerd! And you also skipped Giga

i didn't know 1 million squared was 1 billion, doy.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Im Ready for DEATH posted:

:clint: like to see you try :clint:

Also I'm making GBS threads atm but also pissing

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

There are a lot of megathreads that have been going on five or ten years or more and the OPs are full of dead links. Thread regulars don't care since they know that stuff already but it's terrible for people going into a thread trying to learn about the topic. I was in the miniature painting thread the other day reading up the proper techniques for painting plastic figurines and half the urls led to 404 pages.

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the forums would have to store copies of everything it links to or something equally insane to prevent that tho. thats just a problem with the internet

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
maybe a solution in the google cache api or something but it seems like a pretty hard problem for a place that generates so many links

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

super sweet best pal posted:

There are a lot of megathreads that have been going on five or ten years or more and the OPs are full of dead links. Thread regulars don't care since they know that stuff already but it's terrible for people going into a thread trying to learn about the topic. I was in the miniature painting thread the other day reading up the proper techniques for painting plastic figurines and half the urls led to 404 pages.

apparently the networking OP gives what is now extremely bad advice on what router to buy

OPs could be maintained better sometimes I guess

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Stop stealing my viewers.

Fe nah this is a good idea. Crappy construction is one of my bookmarks
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3431884

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

One of my fav megathreads is the Greek and Roman etc. history thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486446&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1