Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
I did Yellowstone / Grand Tetons a year ago.

If you have a day to spare, head down to Grand Tetons - Grand Tetons is another park touching the southern border of Yellowstone, imho it's better hiking - there is everything from high alpine climbs to almost-desert prairie. Yellowstone is very centered around the thermal features, which are cool, but they get less cool after seeing them for multiple days. We planned to spend 4 days in Yellowstone and 2 in Grand Tetons and ended up swapping that, spent 4 days in Grand Tetons instead.

Features to see in Yellowstone:
Spend a day seeing the geysers, mudpots, and thermal features. This will be lots of driving and crowds, so just know once you've walked the boardwalks around Old Faithful, it's all pretty similar. Still, worth it.

The drive on the north side of the park from Mammoth Hot Springs to Lamar Valley is gorgeous the entire distance, bring a picnic and do at least one large hike in that area. I recommend the Slough Creek Trail. Animals are plentiful and the scenery is amazing. Mammoth Hot Springs is my exception to the "seen one thermal feature, seen 'em all".

Features to see in Grand Tetons:
Schwabacher’s Landing - small parking area with trails running up and down the length of a river, frequented by moose, raccoons, waterbirds, and other wetland species.
Jenny Lake - several trails of various lengths connect alpine lakes, hike to one or many, backdrop of gorgeous mountains.
Mormon Row and other homesteading sites - less of a hike, more of a visit, but the old log cabins make the mountains seem even bigger somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU