Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I went late last September, and have also been a couple of times right when it opened in the spring. I have no idea what facilities are open now.

For wildlife, one of the best places is the Lamar Valley, and it's usually best and less crowded early morning/late afternoon. One good plan is to spend a night or two just outside the Northeast Gate in Silver Gate or Cooke City. That way you're heading out and back through the valley at the best times of day.

My trip in the fall was with my dad who has mobility issues. We booked nights in some of the in park lodges. Canyon was pretty expensive, but the cabins at Old Faithful weren't too bad. This won't really match your needs/question but I'll put my itinerary because it worked really well for a week-ish trip in/out of Jackson with non camping/hiking old folks and we saw a lot but weren't doing 18 hour days.

Day 0/1: Arrive Jackson

Day 2: Grand Teton Loop (past Jenny Lake)

Day 3: Drive to Old Faithful Lodge. See Old Faithful and do the Geyser Basin boardwalk.

Day 4: Lonestar Geyser Trail, Grand Prismatic Spring, Madison River. Back to Old Faithful Lodge

Day 5: Loop past Yellowstone Lake, Mud Volcano, Hayden Valley and around to Norris Geyser Basin. Stay Canyon

Day 6: Hayden Valley (pre-breakfast), Yellowstone Falls Overlook, Dunraven Pass to Lamar Valley and over to Mammoth.

Day 7: Mammoth Hot Springs, drive back to Jackson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU