Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

iamsosmrt posted:

They should consider doing the Vs. route, maybe Robocop or even Predator. I thought it was a cool idea to have RoboCop's creation as a stepping stone towards Skynet's birth. Predator could go a whole lot of ways, but I wouldn't hate if they turned the tide of the war.

The movie set in 1719 called Terminated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Snowman_McK posted:

I'll give you that one. That is a cool idea that is executed well. That it's a blink and you'll miss it shot left over from an earlier version of the script and is the best moment in the movie is probably as damning an indictment of Salvation as I can manage.

That’s not the best part in the movie, but a simple example of one of its effectively creepy images.

The best parts of the movie are:

-The basic concept of the Marcus character (a robot granted humanity, free will and a sympathetic backstory by Skynet, under the correct assumption that this will make him a more dangerous weapon).

-John Connor losing the gift of prophecy and becoming paralyzed with indecision. (Essentially half the story of Life Die Repeat summed up in one subplot).

-Skynet’s comprehensibly alien thought processes (e.g. referring to its future self in the third person, erasing its own memory of its secret agent in order to provide the best cover).

Those three things cover like 90% of the runtime. The only really uninteresting part is Michael Ironside in a submarine.

I know that everybody’s like T2 is the best movie ever made and they’ve been ruined for movies forever because nothing will ever be as good again, but it may be helpful to think outside the franchise for a moment. T4 is easily in the top three postapocalyptic robot war movies. Like, what’s better? Fuckin’ Screamers? No thank you!

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Terminator 1 is better than terminator 2

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Terminator I is one of the best horror movies ever, and Terminator II is one of the best action movies ever.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Chamale posted:

Terminator I is one of the best horror movies ever, and Terminator II is one of the best action movies ever.

This.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

One of the greatest double features ever.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Arnold shooting up the cop shop is an all time great sequence

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Why can’t they just make a movie of the shiny robots stepping on skulls while shooting blue lasers at rag tag survivors? 2hours of that would work for me.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Spring Break At Skull Beach works for me

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Like, what’s better? Fuckin’ Screamers? No thank you!
Screamers is actually good.

Impostor is merely okay.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

toggle posted:

Why can’t they just make a movie of the shiny robots stepping on skulls while shooting blue lasers at rag tag survivors? 2hours of that would work for me.

Play the Terminator Resistance videogame, for a budget FPS it absolutely nails the Future War aesthetic, the (initial) hopelessness of the human survivors, the sound design, Terminators being a real threat, the atmosphere and visuals, it’s great and wayyyy better than I expected it to be.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

toggle posted:

The sad thing is even if someone wanted to do this, it'd lose the gritty 80s practical effects aesthetic that we've all had in our heads for decades and be too drat clean and crispy cgi to actually work.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Moviefight: Terminator Salvation vs Matrix Revolutions

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

RBA Starblade posted:

Revolutions is great, definitely a movie that has grown on me as time progressed. The Zion invasion is an underrated action sequence, but the whole thing whips.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That’s not the best part in the movie, but a simple example of one of its effectively creepy images.

The best parts of the movie are:

-The basic concept of the Marcus character (a robot granted humanity, free will and a sympathetic backstory by Skynet, under the correct assumption that this will make him a more dangerous weapon).

-John Connor losing the gift of prophecy and becoming paralyzed with indecision. (Essentially half the story of Life Die Repeat summed up in one subplot).

-Skynet’s comprehensibly alien thought processes (e.g. referring to its future self in the third person, erasing its own memory of its secret agent in order to provide the best cover).

Those three things cover like 90% of the runtime. The only really uninteresting part is Michael Ironside in a submarine.

I know that everybody’s like T2 is the best movie ever made and they’ve been ruined for movies forever because nothing will ever be as good again, but it may be helpful to think outside the franchise for a moment. T4 is easily in the top three postapocalyptic robot war movies. Like, what’s better? Fuckin’ Screamers? No thank you!

Once again, man, I fuckin' love the version of the movie that exists in your head and wish I'd seen it. Unfortunately I saw the one where Marcus sucks as an assassin and successfully helps John, whose undermined gift of prophecy doesn't stop him being constantly right about everything. Like I said, Salvation is amazing on paper and is full of great ideas and concepts that all deserve to be in a better movie. I wouldn't argue that it's not the best post apocalyptic robot war movie because that is a narrow genre and Salvation is the only one with a larger budget than whatever change was under the writer/director's couch and a cast of actual actors instead whoever was desperate enough to appear in a movie called 'Future War'

RBA Starblade posted:

That's barely a fight. Revolutions by a staggering margin.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

this tweet but it's about terminator salvation and how we got the christian bale lighting rant out of it

https://twitter.com/dril/status/464802196060917762

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

toggle posted:

Why can’t they just make a movie of the shiny robots stepping on skulls while shooting purple lasers at rag tag survivors? 2hours of that would work for me.

Xenomrph posted:

Play the Terminator Resistance videogame, for a budget FPS it absolutely nails the Future War aesthetic, the (initial) hopelessness of the human survivors, the sound design, Terminators being a real threat, the atmosphere and visuals, it’s great and wayyyy better than I expected it to be.

Is there a mod to make the lasers purple?

iamsosmrt posted:

The sad thing is even if someone wanted to do this, it'd lose the gritty 80s practical effects aesthetic that we've all had in our heads for decades and be too drat clean and crispy cgi to actually work.

This is really true, if something like it were to be made I'd want whoever did the effects for Elysium to handle it as while there's of course a lot of CG in it it also had quite a few miniatures like the ships and really had that look to me.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Snowman_McK posted:

I wouldn't argue that it's not the best post apocalyptic robot war movie because that is a narrow genre and Salvation is the only one with a larger budget than whatever change was under the writer/director's couch and a cast of actual actors instead whoever was desperate enough to appear in a movie called 'Future War'
T:S is a mess, but it looks really really good. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's not as good as The Matrix, but better than Cherry 2000.

Edit: It's too bad we lost the only film version of Rossum's Universal Robots.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’d take Terminator Salvation over the entire matrix franchise.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

Is there a mod to make the lasers purple?

This is really true, if something like it were to be made I'd want whoever did the effects for Elysium to handle it as while there's of course a lot of CG in it it also had quite a few miniatures like the ships and really had that look to me.

I think the lasers are already purple, or at least for some of the guns.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Actually, another movie I'd say would be a superior Terminator sequel is Oblivion starting Tom Cruise, that is if you take out the word "aliens" and call the antagonists Skynet.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I think the lasers are already purple, or at least for some of the guns.

This owns and I have to assume someone who worked on this game had read this thread awhile ago lol

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Live Die Repeat/edge of tomorrow would have also made a good terminator sequel

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

toggle posted:

I mean, you can just youtube those segments from the first films on repeat for 2 1/2 hours if you want.

ruddiger posted:

I’d take Terminator Salvation over the entire matrix franchise.

Every day of the week.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LOS ANGELES 2029 A.D.

THE MACHINES ROSE FROM THE ASHES OF THE NUCLEAR FIRE.

THEIR WAR TO EXTERMINATE MANKIND HAS RAGED FOR DECADES,

BUT THE FINAL BATTLE WOULD NOT BE FOUGHT IN THE FUTURE.

IT WOULD BE FOUGHT HERE, IN OUR PRESENT. AND THIS WAS THE BEGINNING.

https://twitter.com/filmthepolicela/status/1569758479149334530?s=46&t=MdTb4H1JkmZjXqMo-Ds_Tw

Violator
May 15, 2003

“COME ON rear end in a top hat, IM JUST DOING MY JOB HERE. BEEP BEEP. THESE CALZONES ARE GETTING COLD AND ITS MY rear end IF I DONT GET THEM THERE. BEEP.”

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Skynet actually had a lot of support in it's rise due to it's ACAB stance

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

iamsosmrt posted:

I don't know about that. I thought the same about Star Wars, but then Force Awakens came out and everything looked right again, so I think it would really just take somebody who cares to make it look and feel the same outside of just using the same designs.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

MrMojok posted:

LOS ANGELES 2029 A.D.

https://twitter.com/filmthepolicela/status/1569758479149334530?s=46&t=MdTb4H1JkmZjXqMo-Ds_Tw

I really wanna push it over.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

MrMojok posted:

LOS ANGELES 2029 A.D.

Best part is the guys discussing how robots like that could be re-purposed for domestic terrorism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
A sort of mash-up of AI filters, clips, and sound cues to make a Terminator Music Video Mashup Claymation short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjouEGjNQ-Q