Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
so my son is 8 years old and I was looking for a movie we can watch together.

I thought of The Terminator 1 and am surprised to be reminded it's rated R

Anyone have any idea why? I know it's violent but from what I remember there's nothing too horrible or worse than you can see on regular TV. Seems like it's way less objectionable than JAWS, Temple of Doom and several other PG13 movies I can think of. I don't even remember that much harsh language.

What am I missing or not remembering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's just very intense violence. The first half is mostly just Arnold graphically gunning people down. You can't compare it to what's on t.v. in 2019, obviously t.v. has changed a lot since the 80s.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
There's also titties

It's free on YouTube right now if you need to preview

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The part where Arnie operates on his face would be pretty intense for a kid even if it's obviously a prop.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
It's really dark. The gently caress you want to show an r-rated horror movie to an 8 year old for?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

ElectricSheep posted:

There's also titties

It's free on YouTube right now if you need to preview

I believe the YouTube version is like a tv edit or something, if I'm not mistaken. I think all of YouTube's free films are out of necessity of accessibility.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Thanks for the feedback.

After some research I guess I'll wait.

Maybe seeing it censored 50 times on regular TV clouded my memory of it as being a hard "R". I'm not letting him watch JAWS (we live at the beach) but he was fine with Jurassic Park, Jurassic World and all the Indiana Jones movies that his mom let him watch. He got nightmares about the natives in King Kong though and I can never entirely tell what's gonna freak him out and what won't. He watches me play certain Resident Evil games with no problem.

Sucks cause I was about to bond with my son with some Terminator.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You're probably thinking of T2, which actually is a really light R and would almost certainly be PG-13 if not for, like, the one shot of the T-1000 ganking John's stepdad and the bit where Miles Dyson gets shot to hell

e: wait, what, yeah, if this kid's watching you play the more recent RE games the Terminator movies will be nothing, T1 included.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Sucks cause I was about to bond with my son with some Terminator.

I know the feeling. To bide my time, I end up just making a spread sheet with appropriate ages for when I can share stuff with my son. So there's always something to anticipate.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Narzack posted:

It's really dark. The gently caress you want to show an r-rated horror movie to an 8 year old for?

I saw terminator when I was like 6 and it was loving awesome. I redid the surgery scene with playdough. It sparked my imagination so much as a kid.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I saw Terminator and many other action and horror movies at a ridiculously low age, too. Which is precisely the reason I'm not gonna show them to my five year old son. I am not a healthy man, and neither are all of you, like Jesus Christ.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah but I’m not healthy thanks to mental illnesses probably passed down by my parents, not because I watched Arnold rip out a gooey fake eye.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah but I’m not healthy thanks to mental illnesses probably passed down by my parents, not because I watched Arnold rip out a gooey fake eye.

Hint: Your media consumption reflects your relationship to your parents. If you got to watch grossly inappropriate stuff as a wee child, it's very likely because your parents on some level did not give a poo poo. I'm sorry.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

You're probably thinking of T2, which actually is a really light R and would almost certainly be PG-13 if not for, like, the one shot of the T-1000 ganking John's stepdad and the bit where Miles Dyson gets shot to hell

Uh, there are also about a zillion F-bombs uttered.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
And the relentless violence isn't great for young ones.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

Hint: Your media consumption reflects your relationship to your parents. If you got to watch grossly inappropriate stuff as a wee child, it's very likely because your parents on some level did not give a poo poo. I'm sorry.

I agree with this. I try really hard to keep an eye on his media consumption. Oddly, YouTube, the most accessible and ubiquitous thing he can lay his hands on, is the most poisonous.

I'm gonna wait on Terminator. How about T2?

hmmm

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SUNKOS posted:

It sounds like Salvation was a whole bunch of really interesting ideas (including John dying etc.) and somehow they managed to screw up every single one and were just left with a mess. At least they managed to convey the fear of John not knowing what the hell he was doing despite preparing for it his whole life and trying to figure out how/when the important things are going to happen, but as it stands it's just a huge waste that probably could have been up there with the first two if executed correctly.

Yeah it's part of why I hate Salvation so much, it's like, sooooo much less than the sum of its parts.

I think part of it though is that the script was originally written by the two people that wrote Terminator 3's script and that was never totally scrapped it just kept getting changed and added to and taken away from until Nolan was the final person to work on it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BiggerBoat posted:

Anyone have any idea why? I know it's violent but from what I remember there's nothing too horrible or worse than you can see on regular TV. Seems like it's way less objectionable than JAWS, Temple of Doom and several other PG13 movies I can think of. I don't even remember that much harsh language.

I saw Terminator 2 when it first came out and I was ten at the time and thought it was the greatest story ever told, and thought similarly about Terminator 1 which my brother rented for me shortly after.

WITH THAT IN MIND...

Terminator 2, if you let him watch you play Resident Evil games will be perfectly fine. However keep in mind it has a record setting level of fucks and such stated throughout (no really it actually really set a record for most fucks uttered in a film when it came out).

Terminator 1 is a lot darker overall, and has more instances of Arnold cold murdering civilians. Also I don't know how much you care about your kid seeing nudity or not but if that effects your opinion keep in mind that in T1 besides Arnold's rear end if you watch it on anything that isn't VHS you will clearly see Arnold's dick and balls hanging around as he walks towards the punks in the beginning. Also there's some brief nudity during the sex scene towards the end.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BiggerBoat posted:

I agree with this. I try really hard to keep an eye on his media consumption. Oddly, YouTube, the most accessible and ubiquitous thing he can lay his hands on, is the most poisonous.

I'm gonna wait on Terminator. How about T2?

hmmm

As I mentioned, T2 has ridiculous levels of profanity throughout, right from the opening scene when the Terminator teleports in. It's not something I'd subject to an 8-year-old. And when it gets violent, it gets violent--the scene when the T-800 cuts off the skin from his arm to show the endoskeleton to Dyson's family shook me up as a kid. My parents were pissed as hell when my aunt rented it for me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Grendels Dad posted:

Uh, gently caress you.

My dad sat me down and explained how every effect was done in these movies and showed me how they were achieved before he showed me a single frame. He’s the reason I wanted to make films.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Grendels Dad posted:

Eh. I think communication is an important factor. Your relationship with your parents can also reflect how you consume or absorb media. It's a two-way street.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

You'll also have to explain the cave scene my bro

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

All right. We skipped the Terminator idea entirely and went with JAWS

He loved it and only got spooked by the Ketner kid and Quint's death. He handled it well and it was neat having a semi rite of passage sharing a favorite movie. Sorry for the derail

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

All right. We skipped the Terminator idea entirely and went with JAWS

He loved it and only got spooked by the Ketner kid and Quint's death. He handled it well and it was neat having a semi rite of passage sharing a favorite movie. Sorry for the derail

How'd he do with the Ben Gardner's boat scene? That's the one thing that always got me as a kid.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

BiggerBoat posted:

I saw T2 when I was 5. Just wait until some theater near you shows that.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
uh Terminator 2 uses the word "gently caress" a grand total of 12 times

which is more than I remembered, I'll admit, but... that's still not really a ton? like if anything that seems on the lighter end given it's a 2.5-hour-long movie

like, for comparison, Goodfellas set the record the previous year with 300 fucks

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Grendels Dad posted:

I’m sorry that you have lovely parents but you should’t project your experience on others.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Captain Jesus posted:

I’m sorry that you have lovely parents but you should’t project your experience on others.

I'm glad you and CP don't have lovely parents but you shouldn't act like this isn't a huge loving problem.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

It's not controversial to say five year olds shouldn't be watching R rated movies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Crimpolioni posted:

It's not controversial to say five year olds shouldn't be watching R rated movies.

I think people are more upset at my claim about the correlation between parental care and media consumption, which is fair.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Wasn't the original Terminator sent back as a last gasp attempt by the machines because they'd already lost? Like, that was what John said? Where the gently caress are all these new Terminators coming from? The timeline is so hosed at this point I'm expecting the X-Men to show up.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Wasn't the original Terminator sent back as a last gasp attempt by the machines because they'd already lost? Like, that was what John said? Where the gently caress are all these new Terminators coming from? The timeline is so hosed at this point I'm expecting the X-Men to show up.

There have been a lot of Terminators on that time travel platform. Just a whole bunch of naked Schwarzeneggers with one sole naked Robert Patrick.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Tart Kitty posted:

How'd he do with the Ben Gardner's boat scene? That's the one thing that always got me as a kid.

Jump scare was all.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

The short answer is that the timeline is all hosed up, but here's what I remember from reading sites in the early days of the internet. Bear in mind that time travel tense is basically a form of insanity:

You're right, basically. John and his dudes realized after winning the war they Skynet had, as you mentioned, a sort of hail Mary gambit and sent back a t800. Must've read the dials, or whatever. So John decides he's gotta send someone back, and Reese volunteers (so John has a Oh, poo poo, You're My Dad moment), and sends him back.

So viola, time shifts about, and now the whole future setting becomes the future after the events of T1 had happened. Part of the rejiggering is that Skynet's hail Mary was a t800 and a T1000. John knows this (because he remembers being a teen who had lived through the events of T2), opens up a disabled T800 and sends him back to.

That's as far as I remember (iirc the third party site I mentioned was before T3), plus I'm tired, my autocorrect ain't working (so I have to make sure I'm manually typing everything) and How the hell do I remember three paragraphs of Terminator story.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Yes, Terminator was a closed loop. T2 was another closed loop on top of Terminator. T3 added yet another closed loop on top of those. Neither explain how the world got stuck in those loops, and by T3 it gets silly that future John has all that knowledge of what happens in his future, including his own death, and he doesn't break the loop.

Salvation doesn't count because it's dumb and bad.

TSCC paved the way for paradox free time travel where you have a present-day visited by infinite terminators and resistance fighters from an ever changing number of infinite futures. No closed loop, and the first three movies fit inside the new rules if you don't think too much about it. Genisys and presumably Dark Fate follow in the shows trail. This sort of time travel can be done well (despite Genisys being a shitshow). See Continuum, Travelers and 12 Monkeys.

No... wait! This is all wrong, because the judgement day date moves with each of the first three movies. Only the first movie is a loop. gently caress, I committed the cardinal sin for time travel! I thought about it too much.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 16, 2019

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Crimpolioni posted:

Depends on the movie and the person. The MPAA is moronic and ratings are often arbitrary. The only difference between Jurassic Park's PG13 and Terminator 2's R is saying gently caress multiple times. Titanic's PG13 has titties but because the sex scene is 10 minutes removed from showing the titties, it's PG13 as opposed to another movie that shows titties during its sex scene's R. Saying gently caress once can still own a PG-13 rating, but twice is an R, and that once has to not be referencing sex. And there aren't really PG movies anymore, so it's cartoon, PG-13, or R.

I mean, remember, The Matrix series is R. I think "gently caress" is said once in it, there's practically no blood, and we kind of maybe see a nipple in that dance sequence.

You just have to talk to your kid about the context of what they are seeing and judge if you think they can handle it or not.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I want a Terminator film where the main plot has absolutely nothing to do with anything in the other films, there's just time travellers and terminators and a million dead Schwarzaneggers and no one knows what the gently caress, until finally the humans and Skynet team up to unfuck the timeline by killing all ten trillion John Connors and Skynet AIs and Sarahs and Reeses and T-One Quintillions and whatever else just so someone can actually move on with their lives

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Wasn't the original Terminator sent back as a last gasp attempt by the machines because they'd already lost? Like, that was what John said? Where the gently caress are all these new Terminators coming from?

Well, from memory...

T1 - The OG, T-800 sent back to kill John as Skynet's desperate last gasp attempt to save itself as it died
T2 - ACTUALLY Skynet's hail mary was two terminators, Kyle just didn't know about the T-1000
T3 - Judgment Day delayed from 1997 to 2004 by the events of T2 so Kyle's word isn't reliable anymore. Skynet sends back a new type of Terminator that's designed to fight other terminators because now Skynet knows about the Resistance using captured T-800s and is a vicious genocide AI that always wanted to kill humans instead of acting in self defense like it did originally
T4 - No time travel and set in an early part of the Future War not previously seen, but there's some basic lip service given to the idea that Skynet is somehow advancing Terminator tech beyond what it should be at the time. No explanation why/how or if it's related to what happened in T2 or T3
T5 - The T-800 was sent back to 1984 as it originally was, the T-1000 got sent back to the the 1970's instead of the 90's and Skynet gets a third Hail Mary attempt in the form of a thought to be failed prototype nanomachine terminator that Skynet downloaded itself into to avoid being destroyed. There's a mystery plot/sequel hook that seemed to be hinting a third party with access to time travel and terminators has thrown history off path causing all these changes (Judgment Day also slid to 2017 before being averted completely) but it wasn't explained and never will be.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Darko posted:

Depends on the movie and the person. The MPAA is moronic and ratings are often arbitrary. The only difference between Jurassic Park's PG13 and Terminator 2's R is saying gently caress multiple times. Titanic's PG13 has titties but because the sex scene is 10 minutes removed from showing the titties, it's PG13 as opposed to another movie that shows titties during its sex scene's R. Saying gently caress once can still own a PG-13 rating, but twice is an R, and that once has to not be referencing sex. And there aren't really PG movies anymore, so it's cartoon, PG-13, or R.

I mean, remember, The Matrix series is R. I think "gently caress" is said once in it, there's practically no blood, and we kind of maybe see a nipple in that dance sequence.

You just have to talk to your kid about the context of what they are seeing and judge if you think they can handle it or not.

I mean, Matrix is also hella violent in the final third, and one of the central conceits is that anyone can sort of kill anyone without a remorse, since they don't know any better or are just potential agents. And there are some grim themes. Sure, it's not bloody and full of cocks and twats, but it's still heavy stuff. And the violence is made to look cool as hell, which is a whole other can of worms. I dunno, I might just be a bit conservative, but I know I won't let my boy watch it til he's at least fifteen or so. At least, that's the plan.

Darko posted:

Depends on the movie and the person. The MPAA is moronic and ratings are often arbitrary.

This is still very true, though, and the lack of transparency from the MPAA is really poo poo, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

SCC: follows T2 and more Terminators are sent back (good and bad) because the future war is now a straight up Time War with stuff being sent back and forth all over the place, and a T-1000 that spent too much time on its own decides "gently caress Skynet" and builds its own A.I. to counter Skynet's development, too. Then John Conner gets sent into the future in the middle of the future war and the show ends.