Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

I also miss the retro game master threads. I recently backlit my game boy color so I am interested in this. Never heard of the first game choice. It’s a bit pricey but I may pick up a real cartridge depending on how well it does/doesn’t hold up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

I wonder if the manual contains some clue as to what all of the mission instruction rhymes are referring to. These are getting bizarre.

If anyone has a physical copy of the manual or back of the box, you should scan it in! I haven't been able to find it on any of the usual places online and I don't want to pay 80 euros to try to get a complete copy off ebay.

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

I really tried to get further in Monster Max. I did.

I'm glad this thread got me to play an obscure PAL only Gameboy release (maybe not that obscure after all?). I enjoyed it and the soundtrack is really well done. Parts of it were a bit too frustrating for me to power through and maybe I'm just bad at video games but I honestly got stuck on a few levels. I ended up pooping out somewhere on the fourth floor so not even that close to the end. Maybe one day I will return.

Now Donkey Kong 94 is a game I played when it came out. I believe it was bundled with my super game boy. I may have actually played more game boy games on my SNES than actual SNES games. Donkey Kong definitely holds up pretty well still, I remember playing through it a couple years ago. I'll definitely give it a shot again.

Pro-tip - Mario can do hand stands and back flips in this game. My mind was blown the first time I figured that out (I doubt that I read the manual).

Playing original Gameboy games on my freckleshack Gameboy color kinda rules.

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

I thought that I had definitely beaten this game before but now I'm fairly confident that I never got past Egypt land due to stage 5-10 when I was a kid.

In other news I just got a raphnet connector so that I can use my SNES controller with my gamecube Gameboy player which has been softmodded to use the Gameboy interface homebrew. It works beautifully but I know there's probably a scarcity of gamecube gb players out there.

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

Finished the game without using save states. They really are insanely generous with the extra lives although I think that I used 15 of them on the final boss

It was a great pack in game for the super gameboy. Difficulty was fairly evenly spread barring a small handful of levels.

Now I'm a little more interested in the DS and 3DS follow up although I've heard mixed things. Looking forward to what the next pick is for August.

Edit: Also here is some ridiculous poo poo for stage 5-10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylUGLZat8Os

Moop Moop fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 31, 2019

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

I recently replayed link's awakening earlier this year and found that it holds up very well and remains one of the best games on the platform. This frog game was on my list to get around to eventually so I supposed I'll dive into it this month. I was reading that the fan translation is pretty high quality but that the colorization hack has been lost in development for several years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

Posting a little late but I was able to finish up without using any save states or anything. Just played mostly on my DMG.

I enjoyed a lot of the quirky sense of humor that most R&D1 games tended to have. Especially towards the end of the game they really seemed to lay it on. I can kinda see why it maybe wasn't localized at the time but it would've been neat if it ended up on the virtual console or something.

I think the main issue I had with the game was what has been echoed here - the combat. Link's awakening obviously fixes all of this and is a great game for it. I still enjoyed the dungeon exploration segments and parts of the over world exploration. I did find some areas near the end of the game tiresome due to frequent backtracking (namely glacier land). I may have enjoyed the cave area where you take the buff dude digging team the most.

I ended up getting a repro copy just to have a thing to put on my shelf and because I'm weird. The artwork on the box is pretty cool. There's some neat artwork in the manual as well.