Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.

Mode 7 posted:

Donkey Kong 94 is a masterpiece and may very well be next month's game as more people should play it. Apparently there are people who don't know what happens once you clear 100m. :allears:

:pervert: I just bought this the other day and I would be very down for this once I get the save battery replaced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

This has a lot more charm to it than I expected given the very 90s character/cover art, but man the game really does its best to not be much fun the second you have to do any platforming for all the reasons people have already mentioned. The presentation's so nice that I wish it had a slightly friendlier, less frustrating game under it. I get a big kick out of the music and the weird, humorous touches like the elevator guy, bunny men, the duck item, and the weird monster faces on the walls... but not enough to deal with the disappearing platforms and all the hazardous objects of ambiguous nature.

The way the item system works is interesting having come off a recent Link's Awakening playthrough... were similar item swapping/management systems petty common in Gameboy puzzle/adventure games?

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

What are all of your .~*EsSeNtIaL*~. OG Game Boy games? I've currently got:

- Donkey Kong '94
- Link's Awakening
- Pokemon Blue
- Tetris
- Wario Land II

These are all pretty obvious choices, but I think they're also a pretty well-rounded collection of games that share essentially appealing Gameboy-ness:

1. Designed with portability in mind. These are all great subway games that you can enjoy and/or meaningfully advance in 10-20 min increments. In Donkey Kong you can practice 4-5 stages at a time until you've figured them all out and blaze through in one go. And there's something kinda magical about saving Zelda at any time by pressing all of the buttons.

2. Not crippled by the hardware. These all play as smoothly as any top-tier console game without sacrificing aesthetics while many GB games feel super choppy. The enemy designs in Nemesis are detailed and awesome, but in motion it looks like a slideshow of another game.

3. The best (or among the best) in their series. Super Mario Land 2 is pretty cool, but I'm not sure I'd particularly play it over SMB3, SMW, etc. Same goes for Metroid II, the Contras, the Castlevanias, the TMNTs...

I've got space for two more carts in my carrier pouch. What am I missing?

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Donkey Kong 94 is awesome

:yeah:

This game rules. I'm on World 6 right now and it's one of the best things I've ever played.

Thanks Mode 7 for setting up this club. Monster Max wasn't a game I was ever gonna try on my own, but even though it's not something I'm gonna go back to, it had some really interesting ideas and atmosphere in it. Looking forward to getting a better badge this month, though!

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

HMC posted:

I've played this game a little and I still can't quite put my finger on why DK94 works for me but this game just doesn't, even though they're very mechanically VERY similar.

MvDK's not nearly as good. I bounced off of it hard years ago, but giving it another shot now that I've played DK 94... it's really floaty and gummy feeling; The only thing control-wise I see that's an improvement over 94 is that you can grab onto ladders by jumping onto them. And the presentation just isn't as perfect; the between-level cinematics where they show you new moves aren't as good because they aren't framed (at least in the beginning) as confrontations between Mario and DK, just as "Tutorials". Rescuing Mini-Marios is a weird premise to begin with and alternating that in with finding keys to open doors isn't as straightforward as the door > door > door> door > Pauline progression in 94. It's not a terrible game, but it's overall just as mushy as its pre-rendered graphics.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

Monopthalmus posted:

Ok goons I’m stuck on 2-7. Any advice?

This is the first hard-ish level! You wanna time your lever pulls so the hurty bugs get trapped but the ladybugs you can ride can get where you wanna go.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

Glare Seethe posted:

Airplane was trash. 6-6 can gently caress off.

Other than that this game is very good.

Extremely same. There have been a couple of levels where I'm like :pram: and can't figure out I should flip lever B before lever A, but World 6 is just really mechanically challenging. To anyone who's still early in the game: start practicing triple jumps now!

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

I found this tweet with scans of the Nintendo Power promo for DK94: https://mobile.twitter.com/retrogamegeeks/status/841655014112317441

One interesting image is of a flying squirrel boss that uh, I assume was cut from the forest level and I'm not going to encounter in the last few stages... I wonder if they had other non-Kong bosses planned.

This month has been one of the fuckin craziest in my entire life, but I'm still hoping to beat this by the deadline :effortless: Luckily (?) the save battery in my Picross 2 cart seems to have died today so I have one less distraction, even though DK isn't quite as chill!

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

Is there a trick to 7-7? I have occasionally lucked past the two squid things, but then after that I'm not getting back to the key/door nearly fast enough before the temp platform disappears.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

little munchkin posted:

also you can throw the key to kill enemies. just ignore it afterwards, it will eventually respawn

:aaaaa:

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

I'm suuuuuper pissed cuz I made it all the way to the last stage last week and then had no time to beat it because our lease is up and we had to move... into storage units because our new apartment isn't habitable yet :/ Doubt I'll have time to finish it up tomorrow.

Such a fantastic game, though! Excited for the next one.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

I've noticed my GB Pocket's screen has started to dim quite a bit on its own after I set the contrast wheel... is this a common thing and is there an easy fix?

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

Better late than never! What a great game.

But for August... Kaeru no tame ni kane wa naru is charming and fun enough! But not compulsively playable. I left off after I beat the centipede boss and haven't had time to get back to it since then. Glad the club pushed me to play it since it's an interesting bit of game history but it definitely doesn't hold a candle to Link's Awakening! I'll definitely finish it in the next few months.

Even though I beat LoZ:LA for the first time earlier this year, I'd definitely be down for toodling around as much as I can in September.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

EightFlyingCars posted:

I had that exact GB Pocket growing up! It was my first handheld and man I got some mileage out of it.

Wanna get a backlit one and play hella Tetris on it

Unfortunately this isn't the silver one I had in middle school... I can't believe I traded it on GameTZ for god-knows-what :cry: It took a while to find a silver pocket with a grey (not silver!) screen border on eBay. And I love the weird sepia-green tone of the pocket screen. Such a classy item...