Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
I heard you liekd GameBoy Stuffs?

This is a cool idea and I'm interested.

Super GameBoy w/Clock Fix on 1CHIP > RGB

PAL GameCube w/ GameBoy Player > RGB

Recently Reshelled GBA AGS-101 & GB Macro

But I'm down to sign up for this. I might even stream some nights!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Let's do this!

Safety First

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Angry_Ed posted:

So the music is good and the environments are varied and look nice enough but man this gameplay just punishes you. I got stuck on the first mission of the second floor because It seems to be demanding a pixel-perfect jump out of me to do a long jump and yeah that's not happening.

I was having a lot of issues with the platforming too, if you just HOLD DOWN the jump button it will immediately launch you up again, so you don't have to try to do frame-perfect jumps or anything. Just finished the first 2 missions.

Edit: Then promptly reset it without getting a screenshot of the password :doh:

Anyway, here's a quick play-through of the first level if anybody wants to see what it's about or get a feel for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6wmdGoHPVk

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 5, 2019

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Angry_Ed posted:

It was less a double jump and more a long jump across a two block gap...or at the very least that's what I thought it wanted me to do

If it's the one with the block that disappears, you can jump on it really quick before it disappears and then make it to the next one by holding down the jump, hth.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Ok, well good luck then, guess I'll find out soon enough!

Did the second level too, enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfUbG9qcaQ0

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 5, 2019

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
I'm stuck on one spot with the the attack bot on 1-3. I'm tempted to look it up, but haven't caved yet.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
My cousin had it, and I got to play it over one summer, had a lot of fun with it, but never beat it.

Looking forward to hopefully finishing this one.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Doom Goon posted:

Funny enough since I last posted about it SameBoy added high level emulation of the Super Game Boy (all versions w/ SGB 2 running at the correct fixed speed). You won't get any sort of border selection (it'll run SGB-enhanced ones though) or ability to change the palette but it does have game colorization. Also, apparently BGB is also supposed to have some sort of support as well but it apparently has a bug unless it's a SGB-enhanced ROM.

Donkey Kong also was purpose built for the Super Gameboy with tons of little extras such as this border:

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Speaking of... Manual can be found here:

Donkey Kong Manual (1994)

Here's the highlights:

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
You'll never guess what came in the mail today!

Imgur Album

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Hey... kid... yeah you...

Got something that might interest ya

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
You can get a replacement cover for <$5 USD from Console5. I just got the GameBoy Color one for my new screen.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Well, it was a lot of fun, and unfortunately I'll need to find another game to play for the next 3 weeks.

Felt like the last area should have been a lot harder, I feel like the area before it was much more ridiculous.

Going to try the Romhack and see what's up.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Obviously beating the game in one sitting (no cheat codes).

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Angry_Ed posted:

Not owning a soldering iron, for one :v:

It's incredibly easy to do with ~$25 in tool + parts.

I did a whole bunch of them recently for SNES games that I sold.
(and Pokémon Gold + Silver)

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
It's pretty easy to do with just a cheap soldering iron.

The game bit and iron are the most expensive parts and both can be had for ~$20 total. Batteries aren't too bad and are on Amazon.

I recommend you watch a YouTube video and decide if you want to try it out, it's pretty easy.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Well, this just happened, Donkey Kong happens to be in the lot.

Let's moodlight this bad boy!

https://twitter.com/Roarke84694999/status/1149486288795389953

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
So I found this awesome GameBoy listing on eBay last weekend, and it finally found its way home.

Need to get a cable to check if the printer works.

Screen has some dead spots.

Let's bust out the soldering iron! and fixed, let's check those games!

Uh oh, batteries dead though... let's fix it!

Tada!

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Oof, I'm not good at these games at all. Was really hoping it'd be another action game. I'm going to have a hard time getting into this one, I can tell.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Lighter fluid, let it soak in and the label will just peel off, you can use more on a cotton swab to remove any leftover adhesive. The excess will just evaporate.

Just use it in a well ventilated area.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
I'm much more excited for Link's Awakening. Is the preferred version the GBC DX one or is it completely irrelevant?

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Let me preface by saying I'm REALLY BAD at Zelda games and this is my first time playing through this game.

I just got the first instrument.

I felt really dumb not being able to find the mushroom in the forest.

After getting repeatedly told I couldn't move rocks, it turns out I can move rocks :doh:]

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Glare Seethe posted:

It'll be interesting to hear what someone free of nostalgia thinks of the game.

Here's a question, I'll spoiler it cause we have a first-timer in the thread. :) [

I'll tell to come in and chime in on my experience, but there's a lot of spoilery stuff in here and I've been avoiding it lately.

Last Time on Link's Awakening
I figured out where Tal Tal Heights was after not being able to progress any further in the Swamp. Stalled figuring out how to get there, and after about 30 minutes floundering around in the Forest/Swamp, figured out I could cut East through the forest and then back North now that I have the Roc feather.

I thought there was some other crazy teleport madness in the forest and ended up left-hand ruling almost half the map :negative:.

Fought the Moblins, killed their boss, saved Bow Wow, go to return him and...

:byodame: - "Why don't you take him for a walk"
:rant:

So now it's back to the swamp and see if Bow Wow will chomp on those plants or something.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
Beat the big boss(es) in Bottle Grotto. Man, it's very old school with some of the difficulty. Racked my brain for too long before I figured out you have to sprinkle magic powder on the braziers to ignite them. Should have picked that one up a bit wicker having just played ALttP.

Then could not find the nightmare key to save my life.
Why the hell would you call this monster a Pols Voice... I knew what a Stalfos was, but dang...

Anyway on to the "Prairie..."

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
There's only one game worth playing next month...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark
I have all of 3 of the instruments and I doubt I'll be able to finish in the next 5 hours. I still want to beat it, so I might play though October on it still.